Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gum arabic for handmade envelopes

I am looking for a way to put down a strip of adhesive on the tab of handmade envelopes. I would like to have the adhesive remain dry on the envelope and only become tacky when it is licked/moistened-- just like on regular envelopes.

This has historically been done with gum arabic, but I can't find a "recipe" to properly mix the gum arabic for this application. Moreover, gum arabic seems to come in different forms (powder, grains, or liquid) so it's not obvious how to get started with using it as a lickable adhesive. It seems that gum arabic is mostly used as a paint additive these days.

Does anyone know how to make or buy this type of adhesive and have instructions for its proper application?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Are you looking for something like that? Lick & Stick™ Remoistenable Envelope Glue

Or self-made version: https://m.

Last edited by Stampisa; 11-21-2017 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Lick & Stick. A 1.6 oz bottle lasts a long time. Mine has a price sticker on it that says 3. I have a bottle of gum arabic that I used to make mist sprays. I bought it awhile ago from an art store and it was kind of pricey. Maybe just takes a little in a homemade mix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really not a fan of licking envelopes and some of our family/friends have allergies so I'm always worried that licking the glue could make them sick. So, I opt for double-sided tape with a liner (scor-tape or equivalent). When the stamp needs to be sealed, the person just pulls off the liner and seals the tape.

Just wanted to mention it as another option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
I'm really not a fan of licking envelopes and some of our family/friends have allergies so I'm always worried that licking the glue could make them sick. So, I opt for double-sided tape with a liner (scor-tape or equivalent). When the stamp needs to be sealed, the person just pulls off the liner and seals the tape.

I'm so right there with you - I'm not into licking a Chinese adhesive made from political prisoners

I use washi tape to close my envies that aren't peel & stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,059 Likes on 816 Posts

This is what I do too, if I have provided handmade envelopes with cards. I just add a note to explain if I don't think the person will realise, though I try to use a tape with an evident removable backing, like the red-liner tape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Scor Tape.

I had a professor in college who told us at the end of the course that if we gave him a stamped, self-addressed postcard he would send us our grades early. He made it clear that he would not accept an envelope, as he had no intentions of licking anything given to him by a student. ;)!

I even use Scor Tape on my store-bought envelopes, right over the glue. I haven't licked an envelope in decades. Remember when George Costanza's fiancee died from licking the envelopes for the cheap wedding invitations he insisted she get? (let's see who gets this reference, and how much I have dated myself...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

LOL I remember. That was one of George's most serious scrapes, but of course he took no responsibility. Stamp moistener gadgets abound even on Amazon. I remember using one of those little sponge things attached to a water tube for a big envelope-sealing charity mailing. I share my DNA with all my correspondents whether they want it or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

There's an urban legend out there about a paper cut from licking envelopes ending with roach eggs hatching out of the tongue - I know it's not true, I know it scientifically can't be true, but ever since I've heard it, I can't lick an envelope. I have a bottle of Dab N Seal envelope moistener at my desk and use it liberally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
There's an urban legend out there about a paper cut from licking envelopes ending with roach eggs hatching out of the tongue - I know it's not true, I know it scientifically can't be true, but ever since I've heard it, I can't lick an envelope. I have a bottle of Dab N Seal envelope moistener at my desk and use it liberally.
Good one! Big ewwwww factor. I'll be thinking about it next time I seal an envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #11  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,059 Likes on 816 Posts

When I am buying envelopes, I always look for the peel and seal type, even if they cost marginally more; some of the gummed ones taste vile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

There's an urban legend out there about a paper cut from licking envelopes ending with roach eggs hatching out of the tongue - I know it's not true, I know it scientifically can't be true, but ever since I've heard it, I can't lick an envelope.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2017, 02:44 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

I haven't licked an envelope since I saw the episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza's fiance Susan died from licking the envelopes of their wedding invitations because George was really stingy and ordered the cheapest ones that he could and the glue turned out to be toxic.

In all serious though, I don't lick envelopes and either use cellotape or washi tape to seal them or I buy the envelopes with the strip that you peel off the adhesive and then press the two parts together to seal it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I buy envelopes only from Stampin Up! so I assume they are free from roach eggs/poison, etc.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm old-fashioned, and make my own moistener. Wet sponge set on a plate. I use it in the library at church too. My due date slips require moistening to put in the book.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #16  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 664 Likes on 545 Posts

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday picking up some mailing envelopes. I noticed a blue bottle...Don't know the name. But it had a ball lid and the label said it was for moistening envelopes and also had an adhesive. I'll look the next time I'm there and post back here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

My office has used the sponge topped water bottle. They also have a ceramic dish with a wheel to moisten stamps. I just run my finger under water and then rub it over the lick and stick stuff. I don’t lick them cuz they taste yucky.

On my handmade envelopes, I use double sided adhesive. It’s more expensive than scor tape, but I use a 3L tape just for the envelopes because there’s a lip. The backing is 1/2 inch (or 3/8ths) but the adhesive is 1/4 inch. So I slightly overhang the tape backing so the user both can see that it’s there and have an easy time removing it.

I tried using a cheaper tape runner and then covering it with a wider strip of sticker backing (strips cut from my xyron sticker maker) but the backings kept falling off.

One thing I have not tried is a stay tacky glue like Tombow green and white bottle, Alene’s tack it over and over or Scraperfect best glue ever. Let it dry, it stays tacky. Try covering with sticker backing. (But I best the backing will just fall off.)

You can buy bottles of lick and stick though.
Reply With Quote Likes