Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitter mist

I am thinking about buying some glitter mist. The thing is I am not really sure if I will use it or if it will collect dust like my flower soft that I had to have one in every color. Or my embossing powder which I have used maybe twice, and again I have several colors.

The only thing that seems to get used on a regular basis is my stickles.

So just wondering if I should invest in the glitter mist (and I am one of these people, who can't just buy one at a time). I was wanting to give my homemade flowers a little color/glimmer. But what else can I use it for, and are they worth the money?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you have a dollar tree nearby? you could use the loose powder eye shadow and dissolve it in water in a spray bottle. The trick is to cut the end of the nozzle so it doesn't sit in the sediment and clog. HTH.

Lindsay the Frugalcrafter uses it in her DIY sprays. Because it is makeup grade is it actually a finer grind that craft grade as well.

ETA - OK just reread - Glittermist or glimmermist. The above would give a metallic glimmer but not be glitter. Though TBH I don't see why it wouldn't work with a really fine glitter as long as the glitter doesn't "Bleed".
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my most recent cans of spray glitter from Crafter's Companion. They have a very nice iridescent glitter spray, and I have their silver and gold too. I use mine for special effects, sometimes in small quantities, sometimes on whole backgrounds. Most recently I used the iridescent spray glitter to highlight an inked, embossed border. Iridescent glitter spray is transparent, subtle and very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

How I decided to try it out was that I found a couple of colors on clearance. I found a couple of pretty yellows, a couple of pinks, green, and metallics. They were around 1.99 each. I figured with about 6 of them I would be giving them an honest try. I like them very much. I use them when I'm making flowers mainly.

I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but when ever something I've made is lacking something, I spritz a bit of sprays and wa la, pretty.

I wouldn't go over board, but I bet you can find some on clearance (Michaels and HL had heidi swapp on clearance). I also found a couple of colors of Recollections on clearance.

Trying it out this way, I've been able to experience 4 different brands and I love them all. My favorites right now are the Heidi Swapps. They're all very pretty and don't warp the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I have tried a few shimmer/glimmer mists, and the only thing I have ever made is a big mess. I far prefer my glitter pens and Stickles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

What I did is take some white card stock spritzed with yellows and pinks of different tones and let dry. I used the build a blossom punch and made some really beautiful blossoms. I think that I'm going to have to start a gallery.

I love the stickler and glitters, but there is something velvety about the Heidi Swapp Yellow on card stock. I splatter spritz the pink on it and it just screams touch me. lol I have been known to add stickler to my glimmered items too.

If I start using it more, I'll make more of it. I've made some other colors but I love the easy already made stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are we talking about two different kinds of products? I was talking about glitter spray, tiny pieces of glitter, like dry glitter, suspended in fluid to make an even glitter surface without having to glue down dry glitter. I like glimmer mist too but use it differently, and usually over wider areas because although it's shimmery, it's more subtle that glitter mist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,132 Likes on 509 Posts

What would you use it for? Are you wanting colored sprays, or just a little shimmer? I would think you could buy a single bottle of a neutral pearl and that would satisfy your curiosity... I'm not a big 'mister' but I do have a few small bottles that came in a 4 pack. Joann: Tattered Angel Mist

Another idea would be to get a little pot of Pearl-Ex - you could mix it with water in small travel-size mister bottles in whatever quantity or color you need. It already has a binder in it, so there's no need to mix in other ingredients to make it 'stick'. There are several tutorials in the Resources section for other uses for Pearl-Ex.

One alternative use for you - you can use the mists for watercoloring - just spray them into the well of a paint palette and pick up the color with a brush. The pearl/metallic sprays make beautiful highlights on colored images.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

If you were talking about bits of glitter, I've never used a glitter spray. I thought you were talking about glimmer. My apologies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Buy a 2 or 4 oz spray bottle from Walmart/Dollar Tree, etc. Pour rubbing alcohol into it ( to almost full) and then add about 10 drops of Folk Art Plaid Metallic Acrylic paint (about $1.99 from Michaels or Hobby Lobby) in the color of your choice. Shake it up each time prior to use. Add more paint for a darker color if that is what you want. Keep out of reach from children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts
Question

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I am thinking about buying some glitter mist. The thing is I am not really sure if I will use it or if it will collect dust like my flower soft that I had to have one in every color. Or my embossing powder which I have used maybe twice, and again I have several colors.

The only thing that seems to get used on a regular basis is my stickles.

So just wondering if I should invest in the glitter mist (and I am one of these people, who can't just buy one at a time). I was wanting to give my homemade flowers a little color/glimmer. But what else can I use it for, and are they worth the money?
Ruthie I think there's some confusion here.:confused: There are 2 products on the market 1 is a "GLITTER" spray which is in a spray can and gives actual glitter results and the other is "GLIMMER" mist also known as "SHIMMER" mist which gives more of an irredecent shine that looks velvety. There could also be other products that are similar to both but we are not sure which one you are asking about. All the DIY ideas for the "GLIMMER" mist are great. I too have made my own with Dollar Tree eyeshadow mixed only in water as well as using metallic craft paint mixed only with water and putting both into small spray bottles.
Attachment 299709

Hopefully I attached this card correctly but the background is a result of a couple different DIY shimmer mists I sprayed then let dry and then stamped image.
Please give us more infor so we may help you to our fullest!

Last edited by HOBBYSUE; 05-04-2023 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts

Hmmm...just looked at my picture and it doesn't show the shimmer.....sorry...looks way better in real light!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started with one container of Perfect Pearls in champagne (I think that was the name, it was a neutral) and mixed my own misters using reinkers and water. It was a very cheap way to see how often I would actually use a glimmer mist, since I already had the reinkers and the mister bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just talking the other day about how bad I am at using sprays and mists. I've bought a few and a few Heidi Swapp stencils and I cannot for the LIFE of me but them to work. It never sprays in the pattern of the stencils, it always comes out a blobby mess. I don't fare any better with Smoosh Spritz or anything having to do with spraying. I don't get what I'm doing wrong, I've even gotten pointers from Heidi Swapp herself and no improvement! I've pretty much given up on them.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I actually found 3 colors on sale at Hobby Lobby Monday night. I use one of them last night on a coffee filter flower I made. Looked really good. I am going to try to find more of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
What would you use it for? Are you wanting colored sprays, or just a little shimmer? I would think you could buy a single bottle of a neutral pearl and that would satisfy your curiosity... I'm not a big 'mister' but I do have a few small bottles that came in a 4 pack. Joann: Tattered Angel Mist

Another idea would be to get a little pot of Pearl-Ex - you could mix it with water in small travel-size mister bottles in whatever quantity or color you need. It already has a binder in it, so there's no need to mix in other ingredients to make it 'stick'. There are several tutorials in the Resources section for other uses for Pearl-Ex.

One alternative use for you - you can use the mists for watercoloring - just spray them into the well of a paint palette and pick up the color with a brush. The pearl/metallic sprays make beautiful highlights on colored images.
Sorry, you must be thinking of Perfect Pearls. I don't have any...I have every color of Pearl-Ex and you ALWAYS need a binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I love my glitter sprays. I have them in Silver and Gold and they give an all over glittering that is actually quite subtle. Warning: Don't grab you Silver or Gold spray paint by mistake---a whole different story that will actually nearly ruin your card, if that wasn't what you wanted to spray on it.
Reply With Quote Likes