Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Okay I have thought about putting some of my Glimmer Mist into my Mini Misters because I have trouble with the big droplets, too. But I am concerned about inhaling something bad for your lungs, kwim? Anyone know if there is anything toxic in the Glimmer Mists?
When I taught in California, we were not allowed to use glitter because the pieces of glitter could be inhaled inadvertently and cause damage to the user. I would think it could be a problem, but since it's in a liquid, not so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #42  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: paper curling, it helps if you moisten both sides of the paper. So you can spray your sparkly mist on the side you want to be sparkly and then very lightly spray water on the back side of the paper and this will eliminate the curling.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Did you know that you can use the shimmer paints that SU is now carrying in the Holiday Mini Catalog in a similar way? There are 3 colors you can find on pg 27...

Fill a little spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and add 1/2 a teaspoon of paint - shake well to mix - spray a couple of spritzes onto your project and you get a very cool shimmer and sparkle effect

I LOVE it and they come in 3 colors perfect for the holidays
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I have GlimmerMist in several colors and love the colors but my cardstock also warps and I hate that. Also I pour it into the mini misters as I do not like the big droplets from their bottles that come in.

I use perfect pearls/pearlex mixed with unscented cheap hairspray and they effect is a gorgeous pearlized look.
I tried pouring the Glimmer Mist into Mini Misters and it clogged it immediately. I hate the fat drops that come out, and one of them clogs every single time I use it. I wish I had bought them locally instead of at Archivers, which is over 2 hours away, it's too much trouble to drive all that way to return them. I emailed the Tattered Angels people, we'll see what they say.

I do love the colors but I'm not sure they are worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #45  
Inking Addict

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a lot of paper mache boxes decorated wih pressed flowers. In the beginning, I just painted the boxes with craft acrylic paint, then discovered how beautiful the painted boxes were with a thin coat of pearl glimmer mist over the paint. I spray the glimmer mist on the box when the paint is dry, then use a small brush to spread the glimmer mist evenly. Try it on surfaces besides paper!
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
YES you do have to use the Gum Arabic with the pearl Ex. I had pearl ex sitting around forever and had no clue what to do with it. now that I have discovered the gum arabic I have made my own shimmer sprays and my own shimmer paints and saved a ton of money in the process. The recipe I useed called for equal parts Gum arabic and rubbing alcohol and then 4 parts water mix it with enough pearl ex to get the intensity that you want and viola you have homemade glimmer mist.
HTH
Where do you find gum arabic? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you do something to one side of the paper and not the other, it curls. If you lightly mist the BACK of the paper with water before you start misting the front, it will be less prone to curl and will dry MUCH flatter.

Same goes for the heat gun - I always put some heat on the back of the paper as well. Just remember to keep your paper happy treat both sides the same!
;-)
When you take watercolor painting in school, they have big shallow trays - you actually soak the watercolor paper before you begin adding all that wet paint!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Okay so last night I finally got to try some of my Smooch Spritz and its good! It sprayed fine with no big droplets and no clogging. I do have a complaint - no where on the little bottle does it tell you the name of the color AND the plastic that is on the bottom of the bottle (where it says Smooch Spritz) rides up and gets in the way. Other than that, it looks pretty and sprayed great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there, to add my 2 cents' worth to those who love their shimmer spray regardless of the brands : I have found that I tend to make a lot more spray than what the mini misters can hold. This creates a storage problem for me so I prefer slightly larger spray bottles. I have found that the misting bottles from Hero Arts to be very good. They don't clog and produce fine mists.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

I have tried the smooch spritz, vibrant colors in the bottle;
but couldn't get it to spray. So, if you buy the product,
try it to make sure it sprays before you leave the store.
It's sealed so you will have to buy it first.
I haven't gotten back to the store to try another one, but will.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

If I want bold color I use Smooch Spritz. If I want a hint of color I will use Glimmer Mist. They are two similar products but give very different looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

i tried the shimmerz spritz....too clumpy and wet for me.....but i love love love the smooch spritz....much better in color and quality....but i'm a color girl...never did care much for pastels....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say Thank you ALL for the reviews/info and recipes to make your own!
Was it the dry or liquid Gum Arabic that was used?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

I have used the liquid Gum Arabic that you get in the fine arts section, either near the water colors and paints or else with all the other mediums and paint additives.

In another thread, they use PearlEx powder in a recipe that includes cheap unscented spritz type hairspray as the binder. You could even use the hairspray bottle.

Gum Arabic is fairly expensive. I think I paid around $11 a few years ago for a small bottle. I think I'll experiment with cheap hairspray next time!!! Plus the hairspray bottles produce a very fine, even mist.

I also like the idea of including rubbing alcohol for quick drying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #55  
Inking Addict

i just added a new project to my blog for Clearsnap {link in siggie} it's a necklace made by "smooching" some plain wood beads...

just another idea of something you can do with Smooch Spritz - the results are SO pretty and shimmery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been making my own Glimmer Mists for a while (over 1 year) with both Pearl Ex and Perfect Pearls in Mini misters. It is so easy- you can make any color and if you don't have any Gum Arabic for your Pearl Ex, you can place a small amount of paint in the mini mister to bind with the pearl Ex. I have only had 1 mini mister ever clog from Pearl Ex and it was because I didn't shake it enough and more then likely placed too much Gum Arabic in the mixture. It is supper easy, gives great shimmer, and you can make any color you want with reinkers and/or a variety of colors of paint. Personally I use Lumiere paint (for color and/or binding agent) and add either Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls - alcohol and water and Bam you have a mini mister of your choice of colors and intensity without spending a small fountune. If you don't own alot of different colors paint or reinkers then you can make Pearl, gold and any other color with plain cheap offwhite paint, and Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls it only takes a tiny bit to give you a translucent shimmer.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

subbing lots of interesting stuff here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

I had the same experience..love my glimmer mist pearl.. i tried the shimmerz marshmallow and it made just wet spots... even though I made sure it was all mixed. Maybe there was a bad batch or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
I tried the shimmerz spray and it was nothing like the glimmer mist-GLIMMER MIST ROCKS!!!! It's sooooo sparkly!! (I sprayed just a little bit from a distance- had no warping)I was realllllly bummed about the shimmerz spray-I almost wonder if I got a bad bottle.....???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Just tried the new Radiant Rain Daubers concentrate and what an awful mess! Especially following their directions for making your own spritzer mists. Ruined two spray bottles before I gave up. Still have dye stained dark blue fingers. NEVER again will I use that stuff!

Also have tried SU spritzers, they are nice, but very expensive and don't last long.

Best luck has been making my own spritzers using the re-inker champaigne and frost inks from Versamark. NOT MESSY - easy to use - and you can add any dye inks in any amount to get from pastel to deep dark sprakling sprays! VERY cheap when you consider overall costs. You MUST MIX with alcohol and I have found that the 90% alcohol works best with NO wrinkling or curling up. They are very beautiful. You can also adjust the amount of reinker so you can control the amount of glitz in your sprays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #61  
Glitter Queen

I tried the shimmer spritz and was not overly impressed :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Okay I have thought about putting some of my Glimmer Mist into my Mini Misters because I have trouble with the big droplets, too. But I am concerned about inhaling something bad for your lungs, kwim? Anyone know if there is anything toxic in the Glimmer Mists?
I think you're safe. Pouring into a bottle should cause less airborne droplets than when you're spritzing it on papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Just a warning about using your mini misters with this stuff... I ruined two of my good misters, because the sprayer part clogged up within a few initial sprays! And I followed the directions to the letter... it was quite messy because the dauber tops do not unscrew easily like the instructions explain... be sure to wear gloves or your will end up with brightly colored fingers! ;-)

I might try some cheaper, and not such fine sprayers over this weekend and see how that works. THe daubers alone don't do much for me. They seem flat and deep colored, and don't give much of a shimmer. But for the right project - they are fine. THey do look quite nice on chip board pieces, but again - deep color without much shimmer. And I was constantly shaking the bottle...

I sure do appreciate all the comments on here about this product... I DO WANT to figure out good ways to use this, so I can be supportive with my local stamping shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, not to beat the dying horse here, because it seems that most of you have this figured out, but I'll try one more question:
Has anyone used the pearl ex powders with future acrylic floor wax and alcohol to make a glimmer spray? Would I add glitter to this, too? Recipes, anyone?
I have SOOOOOOO much glitter and so many of the pearl ex powders that I HAD to have (and am not using either of these lovely items), and of course I bought the future and used it once... you all know the story!
Any recipes or tips would be much appreciated for this overbuyer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #65  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
Okay, not to beat the dying horse here, because it seems that most of you have this figured out, but I'll try one more question:
Has anyone used the pearl ex powders with future acrylic floor wax and alcohol to make a glimmer spray? Would I add glitter to this, too? Recipes, anyone?
I have SOOOOOOO much glitter and so many of the pearl ex powders that I HAD to have (and am not using either of these lovely items), and of course I bought the future and used it once... you all know the story!
Any recipes or tips would be much appreciated for this overbuyer!

Not me. I haven't heard of this mixture but in the past I had mixed pearl ex and hairspray and all my bottles were always plugged. I know several stampers have good luck with these mixes but not me.

I read where a stamper made her own stickles by combining Crystal Effects and glitter. I tried it and it was awful. The glitter never really mixed with CE and looked awful.

Hopefully, some one has some tips for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

What does the alcohol do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

subing!! I just came across this and thought I'd pop on and see what everyone thought.

I love my Smooch Spray!! I've tried Glimmer mist and I dont like the look of it... I made a color chart for my wall in my craft room with die cut flowers spritzed with each color. Then tacked them onto black cardstock and wrote the name of each color under in white ink.. I added in my glimmers too, but they just arent as bright.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

i recommend glimmer mist in iridescent gold, pearl, and a silver...just if you want to try them out...i have lots o' colors after trying those initial three (love marshmallow, wheatfields, snow angel, caramel apple, just to name a few that i cannot live without). to help with warping...spray...hit with heat gun...then flip over (whatever you have sprayed) and hit with heat gun until it flattens. or iron...both will work fine. i have found (IMHO) "color" wise...the glimmer mists are more true to samples and provide a more even application.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks

Subbing - thanks ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

I watched a video of Tim Holtz making his own sprays using reinkers and perfect pearls and water. It looked so easy. Haven't tried it yet but I might.

I have tons of Glimmer Mist. Half of them have ended up with clogged nozzles so I have to pour them into my mini misters to use. But I won't be buying Glimmer Mist again. What a waste of money when that happens. And I shook those things within an inch of their lives and they still clogged. Shoot one of them clogged the second time I used it. That was very irritating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #71  
Crimping Master

I have to agree with poster #29. Lindy's Stamp Gang has AMAZING products. I was ready to invest in the Glimmermists but glad I went with the LSG products. There is a Youtube channel hosted by them and there are lots of examples and videos on them. Check out their website to see all the fabulous colors.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycraftyideasView Post
Hi there, to add my 2 cents' worth to those who love their shimmer spray regardless of the brands : I have found that I tend to make a lot more spray than what the mini misters can hold. This creates a storage problem for me so I prefer slightly larger spray bottles. I have found that the misting bottles from Hero Arts to be very good. They don't clog and produce fine mists.
That's why I quit making my own. Also, the Hero Arts spray bottles are the bomb!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ranger's new Perfect Pearls mists. I bought the pearl one and loved it so much that I went back and bought the entire color line. I get a nice even spray and it is really shimmery. The Interference Red mist is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I tried pouring the Glimmer Mist into Mini Misters and it clogged it immediately. I hate the fat drops that come out, and one of them clogs every single time I use it.
I use mini misters with my Glimmer Mist as well because I don't like the large droplets. The trick is to dilute your Glimmer Mist so that it doesn't clog up your mini mister. It's very concentrated so you'll see that you still get tons of shine even with you dilute it (I use around three parts water, 1 part Glimmer Mist). Plus, your Glimmer Mist will last you longer this way! Hope this helps.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #74  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I watched a video of Tim Holtz making his own sprays using reinkers and perfect pearls and water. It looked so easy. Haven't tried it yet but I might.

I have tons of Glimmer Mist. Half of them have ended up with clogged nozzles so I have to pour them into my mini misters to use. But I won't be buying Glimmer Mist again. What a waste of money when that happens. And I shook those things within an inch of their lives and they still clogged. Shoot one of them clogged the second time I used it. That was very irritating.
I think I have read somewhere that you shouldn't shake this type of product up and down because larger particles can travel up the tube and get lodged in the nozzle. What I do is swirl the bottle or use both hands and rub back and forth so the bottle twists. So far this has worked well for me, but I don't have many bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

All I have to say is that every brand of the shimmer style misters I have tried, have cause more mess than beauty! I finally made up my own mixture, and I am very happy with it! I take a mini mister and add 6-8 drops of VersaMark Champagne (gold tone) or VersaMark Frost (silver tone) and then add 91% alcohol to about 3/4 full - then only if desired, I select a DYE ink to give the shimmer more color sometimes - and that amount is totally based on how deep and how much additional color I want. Most of the time, I add no extra dye color because the basic spray is beautiful enough on it's own. But sometimes if I want something I spray to coordinate exactly with other colors, I add a few drops of a dye based ink. The main reason I like this formula is that overall it is MUCH cheaper as those misters don't hold much and don't last long. Making your own mixes - it is much more cost effective - and I just love being able to control both the colors I want in the sprayers as well as the amount of shimmer and gold or silver tone i want. Sometimes my most favorite paper results have been when I spray one color and then spray another color to compliment... i.e. pink and then a pale yellow gives a beautiful color combo to papers that i plan to use for my Easter cards this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Question Another idea for Pearl Ex...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
YES you do have to use the Gum Arabic with the pearl Ex. I had pearl ex sitting around forever and had no clue what to do with it. now that I have discovered the gum arabic I have made my own shimmer sprays and my own shimmer paints and saved a ton of money in the process. The recipe I useed called for equal parts Gum arabic and rubbing alcohol and then 4 parts water mix it with enough pearl ex to get the intensity that you want and viola you have homemade glimmer mist.
HTH
If this idea has already been posted, forgive me for repeating it. I didn't read through the entire thread before responding...

Not sure how well it works because it's been so long since I tried it, but someone told me to get a pump bottle of cheap hairspray (Aqua Net?). Pour some of the hairspray into a separate, smaller spray bottle and add some Pearl Ex. Shake well. Now you've got a shimmery spritzer/sprayer, and the hairspray makes it so that the Pearl Ex won't rub off.

I think I'll pull out my Pearl Ex and head to the dollar store for some cheap hair spray and see what happens. Maybe the travel size pump hairpray bottles would work, too. Hmmmmmm.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Yes rubbing alcohol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #78  
Crimping Master

I sprayed Pearl colored Smooch onto snowflakes cut from blue cardstock. They did not warp and looked beautiful! As long as you shake the mister after a few sprays, it didn't clog. Good product, not a vibrant color, just a nice pearl sheen.

I will try some of these recipes before I buy more. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #79  
Cardstock Collector

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

marking this page for future view on the pearl-ex and perfect pearls and I have lots of both and have never really use them.
Reply With Quote Likes