Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun foam question

I have jumped on the wagon of using fun foam to pop up my card segments rather than foam tape these days. I can understand how it would provide a more stable backing of a focal piece on a card and make it through the US postal service in better shape.

I bought the fun foam with adhesive on one side. They came in 8x8 sheets of various colors from Amazon.

I made some very nice shaker cards recently that had a circle cut out (my shaker window) in the middle of the card. I used a solid fun foam backing of that top peice and glued it to the back card base. It made the shaker easy to assemble and the front panel was firmly supported. It was nice, but...

The fun foam die cut well, but it curled. I assembled the cards and they looked great. I sandwiched them in a book to dry flat. After drying, the cards were stacked flatly waiting to be mailed. I noticed every card curled. It was the fun foam!

I used the fun foam to die cut Christmas ornaments for my card fronts and noticed they later seemed a little wonky on the card front. And those curled a little also.

What foam sheets are you using? Do you find it curls also? Thanks for any info on a better product than what I'm using.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased the large multicolor package from Michaels and made several cards. I have not had any curling issues. Maybe it has omething to do with the adhesive that was on the fun foam.....just not sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

As the foam is run thru your diecut machine, it is squished (flattened), even though it seems to bounce right back. You might try waiting a while before using the fresh cut foam, and see if that helps. I'll bet the adhesive is to blame.

If you're near Michaels, I found a HUGE sheet of white fun foam - it was 36" wide and there were 2 yards in the package. I think the package was like $7.98, plus I used a coupon. I cut mine down into more manageable portions once I got home. And I just use my ATG to attach the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never heard of using fun foam to give dimension on cards. And I did not know that it came with adhesive on one side. I'll have to check this out.

I've been planning on buying a sheet to use as a stamping cushion in hopes of getting a better imprint. Anyone used it for this purpose? Or is Fun Foam too squishy? I got the idea after reading about the "mouse pad" being used in the MISTI and seeing a video for the Sizzix Stampers Secret Weapon, which looks like a big mouse pad. Maybe I should just buy a mouse pad -- now that I threw away all those extras we accumulated over the years. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I have never heard of using fun foam to give dimension on cards. And I did not know that it came with adhesive on one side. I'll have to check this out.

I've been planning on buying a sheet to use as a stamping cushion in hopes of getting a better imprint. Anyone used it for this purpose? Or is Fun Foam too squishy? I got the idea after reading about the "mouse pad" being used in the MISTI and seeing a video for the Sizzix Stampers Secret Weapon, which looks like a big mouse pad. Maybe I should just buy a mouse pad -- now that I threw away all those extras we accumulated over the years. LOL
I think the mouse pad would suit your needs on this better than fun foam. There are different thicknesses of fun foam, but the stuff I used to back my cards would not be as reactive/giving as a mouse pad. It's rather stiff to the touch.

I've always used old mouse pads for various functions, stamping being one of them. Mouse pads are wonderful for that. Now that you mention it, I should put one in my Misti. Good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I would like to buy just the black and/or white foam. The package I got had various colors in it which became a PIA when I ran it through the dies. Because it cut the foam into the same size as the die cut itself, I could see the edges of the foam under the die cut. Then I had to take a black Sharpie and try to blacken it. Just time consuming and frustrating. So I won't purchase the economical packs any more. I only want the one color - black being preferred.

When I look at the black foam products, they seem pricey. Anyone have a good one they use? I will check Michaels online. My local store sellls it in 8x11 sheets only.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 02:42 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I've been planning on buying a sheet to use as a stamping cushion in hopes of getting a better imprint. Anyone used it for this purpose?
I have two thicknesses of Fun Foam that I use for stamping mats. They work really well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I buy the packs of multi-color fun foam from Dollar Tree. They are 4" x 6" and I never worry about what color I'm using because I trace around whatever is going to be popped up and cut about 1/8" inside the traced line all the way around. There is still plenty of support, but it's far enough "under" the piece that - unless you hold the card at eye level and look really hard - you don't see the foam at all. I use my ATG on both sides of the foam, and haven't had a problem yet... If I wanted it thicker, I would probably go buy thicker foam in a neutral, as it would be more likely to be seen...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

As far as a stamping mat, the thicker foam provides more support, but you can pretty much use anything with a little give - mouse pad, stack of paper or magazine, foam that you wrap breakables in to move (the thin white sheets - NOT bubble wrap!). I had one of THESE for a long time, but gave it away when I moved - haven't missed it yet...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure, but I think that when Jennifer McGuire suggested foam sheets to cut and add dimension to cards that she also suggested avoiding buying the foam that already comes with adhesive. I always use the widest double-sided tape I can. As someone here already advised, letting the foam return to its natural shape after die-cutting should help too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I use fun foam a lot also. I have the kind with adhesive backing on one side, and I just peel the backing off and stick it to whatever I'm trying to pop up, then attach it to my card with hot glue..works quite well for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterPrincessView Post
I use fun foam a lot also. I have the kind with adhesive backing on one side, and I just peel the backing off and stick it to whatever I'm trying to pop up, then attach it to my card with hot glue..works quite well for me
This is the stuff I have. Love the idea of peeling off the paper and attaching it to the card.

I've pulled out my box of foam. The pieces that have not been cut are straight/flat. Anything that was run through the Big Shot are curled. I have pieces that had an image die cut out of the center and those are curved. I also have circles that were die cut out of a sheet (on the BS) and those are curved. This stuff was die cut weeks ago also, so it's not new. It has had time to relax and resume it's shape.

I think running the foam through the BS is what makes it curl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 03:04 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

It might be the adhesive that you used for the non-sticky side of the foam. Was it a liquid glue? The best liquid glue I've found, which doesn't warp my card, is Scotch Quick Dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I tried glue (Ranger Matt Medium, Tombow, or Glossy Accents) and my ATG gun. The warp of the card was always curled with the foam adhesive side on the inside (if this makes any sense). It didn't matter if I used tape or glue, it still curled.

And the curl was always towards the foam adhesive (what it came with). The backing paper was always on the inside of the curl.

I think something happens to the adhesive on the foam when I run it through the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Janet, it sounds like the pressure of the Big Shot breaks down the foam fibers, allowing it to expand like a sponge as it comes back to shape. But the expansion is only on the foam side, not the side where the adhesive continues to hold those fibers close together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Janet, it sounds like the pressure of the Big Shot breaks down the foam fibers, allowing it to expand like a sponge as it comes back to shape. But the expansion is only on the foam side, not the side where the adhesive continues to hold those fibers close together.
Yea, something like this must be happening.

I was thinking the pressure on the adhesive itself would make it stick to itself and contract, thereby pulling the foam around it when the foam relaxes again. Especially if my Big Shot plates are warped and bowed. I always flip my plates to reduce warping, but there tends to be a slight mound on the bottom plate.

I'll try cutting this foam by hand from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

It must be that particular brand. I used self-adhesive glitter foam on some Christmas cards a few days ago, and nothing has curled yet. I ran them through my Big Shot too. That's why I thought it might have been the other adhesive. Sorry I can't think of anything else. It sounds very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Thank goodness you all gave good ideas. At least it dawned on me while reading all your posts that it's curling only when I run it through the Big Shot, and always curls toward the adhesive side. I would have never figured it out on my own.

Thanks for your help. I can hand cut the rest of this stuff. I won't buy this brand again either.

Jennifer MG said she doesn't use the adhesive foam because it's hard to die cut. I didn't have any problems die cutting mine. But then I put a lot of tork on my Big Shot any way. Poor thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

All good ideas and helpful information. I also use fun foam...love it! I die-cut greetings and add it to my cards to give dimension and also between the layers of cardstock. It does compress when die-cut so I usually wait a while so it can bounce back. You say that you sandwich the foam in a book after you glue. Perhaps this also compresses the foam so that when it dries and goes back to it's normal shape it curls...make any sense? Try not to put any weight on the glued foam. It should stick reasonably well by just smoothing with your hand....I think! LOL Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Just for the fun of it...and to see if it really works ;) ...try this:

After you run a piece thru the BS, remove the backing paper and let the foam sit for a bit. See if it flattens itself out that way. I'm thinking that possibly the backing paper slides on the back of the foam when it is run thru the machine. That would definitely cause the curling in the direction you describe. But attempting to flatten it without removing the backing paper would be futile. It's holding the foam in a curl.

And a question...do you cut with the adhesive side and backing paper up? or down? If the paper is sliding like I think, then that would make a difference. Maybe.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Just for the fun of it...and to see if it really works ;) ...try this:

After you run a piece thru the BS, remove the backing paper and let the foam sit for a bit. See if it flattens itself out that way. I'm thinking that possibly the backing paper slides on the back of the foam when it is run thru the machine. That would definitely cause the curling in the direction you describe. But attempting to flatten it without removing the backing paper would be futile. It's holding the foam in a curl.

And a question...do you cut with the adhesive side and backing paper up? or down? If the paper is sliding like I think, then that would make a difference. Maybe.
I cut with the adhesive side up, so the die goes through the backing paper first.

It started to curl towards the backing paper when it wasn't used in a card, when I peeled off the backing paper and attached it to the card base, and when I sandwiched it between to papers (although the curve was less pronounced if it assembled the whole card immediately).

It never occurred to me the paper might be moving while in the Big Shot. Interesting idea. I will cut a square out of a panel and remove the backing on the square and see if it stays flat. I already know the rest of the sheet that I ran through the machine will curl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I only use non-adhesive foam. It works perfectly. I use glossy accents or Scor-Tape to adhere it. Sounds like the adhesive stuff is a pain.

My biggest complaint is that the foam seems to die cut just a fraction larger than the paper cut with the same die. Maybe it's the squishing? I don't know. But when I make a shaker card, the foam shows a bit when I'd prefer it was, if anything, slightly smaller not larger. So if the foam isn't too thin, I trim it back. But with some shaker die sets, the foam is too narrow to trim. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I did learn while doing those shaker cards that the foam doesn't hold it's integrity after die cutting it. I cut a large circle out the middle of a sheet of foam. Then took the backing paper off and attached it the back of the card. The whole did not line up to the front of the card. The foam shifted, stretched, etc.

I learned that it is so much easier to glue the foam to the front of the card, then die cut them both at the same time. Then adhere those pieces to the bottom of the shaker.

Recently I die cut a tree ornament and I did notice that the foam puffs out all the way around the ornament. And the foam is purple so it is very visable. Shoot. Next time I'm going to trim that foam back from the edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I use fun foam. I love the multi color packs from hobby lobby. $ 5 or 6.99 without coupon. Several shades of many colors. Especially the browns-ivory and tan and blues from light to navy. I cut the finest of lettering and let it rest and have little problem. I use at different times, liquid glue, dot adhesive, and glossy accents. It all seems to stay fine. Jennifer Mcguire did warn against using the adhesive backed stuff.
I save the bits as pop dots on other designs. Love the coordinating colors instead of white.

No one has reported anything going wrong in the post. So Im guessing they make through without problem. But I do add extra postage for extra layering.

The $ Tree has a stack of very thin foam that works well also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Thank goodness you all gave good ideas. At least it dawned on me while reading all your posts that it's curling only when I run it through the Big Shot, and always curls toward the adhesive side. I would have never figured it out on my own.

Thanks for your help. I can hand cut the rest of this stuff. I won't buy this brand again either.

Jennifer MG said she doesn't use the adhesive foam because it's hard to die cut. I didn't have any problems die cutting mine. But then I put a lot of tork on my Big Shot any way. Poor thing.
Haven't tried this myself (I'm not at home), but what if you flipped the adhesive foam over so that when it curls in the machine it will curl downward. Then when you attach it to the card, the adhesive against the card should take the curl away. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Haven't tried this myself (I'm not at home), but what if you flipped the adhesive foam over so that when it curls in the machine it will curl downward. Then when you attach it to the card, the adhesive against the card should take the curl away. Just a thought.
I tried to die cut it both ways. It always curls towards the adhesive side and will bow the top of the card up or pull the edges down. Since I quit running it through the Big Shot, I don't have any problems with the curl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Janet.....I might be able to assist you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I would like to buy just the black and/or white foam. The package I got had various colors in it which became a PIA when I ran it through the dies. Because it cut the foam into the same size as the die cut itself, I could see the edges of the foam under the die cut. Then I had to take a black Sharpie and try to blacken it. Just time consuming and frustrating. So I won't purchase the economical packs any more. I only want the one color - black being preferred.

When I look at the black foam products, they seem pricey. Anyone have a good one they use? I will check Michaels online. My local store sellls it in 8x11 sheets only.
I buy large packages mostly of white and black.

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also just get black and white. And I never die cut them - always just cut them - and I never use the adhesive backed foam. The ATG works great

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Not sure, but I think that when Jennifer McGuire suggested foam sheets to cut and add dimension to cards that she also suggested avoiding buying the foam that already comes with adhesive. I always use the widest double-sided tape I can. As someone here already advised, letting the foam return to its natural shape after die-cutting should help too.
You are correct, her video is great. I followed her directions with perfect results.i used score tape as opposed to liquid glue. But I think Tombow would be a good option for me to try next time. I live the stability it gives to larger embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
You are correct, her video is great. I followed her directions with perfect results.i used score tape as opposed to liquid glue. But I think Tombow would be a good option for me to try next time. I live the stability it gives to larger embellishments.
I love Tombow glue, but have had trouble gluing fun foam with it. I can glue paper, wood, fabric etc. but the fun foam won't hold to rubber or wood using the Tombow. I need it to be permanent, so maybe I should try something else in those situations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When using fun foam and die cutting it I add Stick It before cutting. I have had good results with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I love Tombow glue, but have had trouble gluing fun foam with it. I can glue paper, wood, fabric etc. but the fun foam won't hold to rubber or wood using the Tombow. I need it to be permanent, so maybe I should try something else in those situations.
Thanks for input, I have never had Tombow fail me before, but I do know not all adhesives are created equal. I am presently in Arizona where I brought a card with me to share created last October . We drive down in January passing through some below zero weather. That score tape is still stuck like "glue" here lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Janet I have your foam packaged ready to ship. Please pm your address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Hi there I sometimes us E6000 spray adhesive. That sucker works and no need to use more than two spritzes before gluing. No Odour either. I go back and forth with Beacons 3-in-1 or light brush of decoupage glue. It allows flexibility too.
Reply With Quote Likes