Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiskars Embossing Plates and Tool

I bought a package of Fiskars Embossing Templates and the Tool....not happy with the results. :confused:
I love the look of embossed cardstock, but at the time can't afford a cuttlebug...so this was the cheaper route to go.....

but now, I regret my purchase.

The embossed image is just not a vivid as I've seen on other people's creations.

Anyone else had some luck with these tools? Am I doing something wrong? Should I try to return my items?

thanks for any input.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

There have been many threads about this product over the years. Here are a few tips I have:
1. an empressor rolling stylus gives a much better impression than the rolly thing sold for the plates
2. for a detailed design use the empressor stylus to get an overall impression then go back over the design with the tiny-tip regular stylus
3. rub paper with waxed paper
4. thinner papers such as scrapbook paper works much easier than cardstock.
The plates are not as good as a machine but don't throw them out just yet!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you SO much for these tips. I will try them. I did notice that the fiskars tool I bought was a return because I found that it had been carefully opened and then taped shut. Or....maybe the store taped it up after someone had opened the packaging.
I will try these tips before returning them. I'm so tired of buying "toys" and then regretting my purchase. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

If you have ever looked at the Cuttlebug embossing folders on the inside, where you place the paper, you will see that the depth of the design is much deeper than the depth of the Fiskars texture plates. So, unfortunately, they will never show up as nicely as the Cuttlebug embossing folders.

I have the Cuttlebug and STILL can not get the Fiskars plates to look as good (as the Cuttlebug embossing folders) even when I run them through the Cuttlebug! It is very disappointing, I know. I have 3 different sets of the Fiskars and I never use them. I can't get a good impression with THEIR tool, either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I found with my arthritis that the cuttlebug embossing folders are the best. If you just got the fiskars plates I would opt to take them back, provided you still have the packaging and receipt. I lovvveee my cuttlebug embossing folders. Give em a try. I bought the fiskars stuff and took it back...tool and the plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
I found with my arthritis that the cuttlebug embossing folders are the best. If you just got the fiskars plates I would opt to take them back, provided you still have the packaging and receipt. I lovvveee my cuttlebug embossing folders. Give em a try. I bought the fiskars stuff and took it back...tool and the plates.
Thanks for your input. I do have the package and receipt...I might just take them back and keep saving for a cuttlebug...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
If you have ever looked at the Cuttlebug embossing folders on the inside, where you place the paper, you will see that the depth of the design is much deeper than the depth of the Fiskars texture plates. So, unfortunately, they will never show up as nicely as the Cuttlebug embossing folders.

I have the Cuttlebug and STILL can not get the Fiskars plates to look as good (as the Cuttlebug embossing folders) even when I run them through the Cuttlebug! It is very disappointing, I know. I have 3 different sets of the Fiskars and I never use them. I can't get a good impression with THEIR tool, either!

hmmmm, maybe I'll let Fiskars know that I am not the only one not happy with their product!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the plates and don't much care for using them with the Fiskars tool, but I'm really glad I kept them. They work great in my BigShot - the impression isn't quite as deep or crisp as with the Cuttlebug folders, but it very obviously embosses. And Fiskars has quite a few patterns that Cuttlebug doesn't have available - plain stripes, background butterflies, brick and woodgrain, for example.

Although I did get all my sets with coupons, so I didn't have a huge investment in them. If I had paid full price, I might have returned them.

Who am I kidding. I can count on the fingers of one hand the craft tools I've returned. Somehow I always think I'll be able to use them "someday". I've exchanged defective, but flat-out returned? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

sorry you're bummed. i don't like the tool either, just bought a cuttlebug and they turn out much nicer that way and doesn't take as long to make. maybe santa can get you a CB with a coupon?
i would keep the plates and bring the tool back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also bought these the plates and tool, and i couldn't figure out why the image wasn't coming out as nice.
good to know im not the only one disappointed wiht these plates.
I bought them cause i found them on clearance for $5 the package, if not i dont think i would of bought them ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

I use them in my Big Shot now - and however I'm using them, it ALWAYS helps to lightly mist the paper. You get a much sharper/deeper impression that way. I use water with a drop of hand sanitizer (to keep the H2O from getting stale & smelling bad) - HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! Thanks for the tip about misting with water! I am new to this and want to give that a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, I thought I was the only one that doesn't like Fiskars plates and tool. I tried it once, it took to long to try to make it work. I can't take it back because I received mine from a gift box swap. If there's another swap, it's going back in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I bought these and then gave them to someone else. I couldn't get good results and the CB is so much easier to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Cuttlebug too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I too have the Fiskar plates and do not like the tool but do like the the stylus that SU has Most of all I like my Big Kick with it the best
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I like my texture plates, especially the wood grain. No they do not leave as deep of an emboss as the folders do. It takes time and patience to get the texture and the back side is "scribbled" from the tool. I got the big kick and they go through that nicely with the texturizing rubber pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
it ALWAYS helps to lightly mist the paper. You get a much sharper/deeper impression that way.
This is a great tip! I learned this about a year ago and it has brought great results when using the texture plates in my Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just this week (Nov 23 thru Nov 26) Michael's has the Cuttlebug for 50% off! At this price and if you have the extra 15% off coupon -- even for on sale items you can get a Cuttlebug for under 40.00!! That's well worth ANY price. You could justify buying as a Christmas present to yourself --or tell your loved ones to use the coupons and get one for you NOW!
That way you don't spend money on tools that don't work, but spend money on a tool you will absolutely love!!
I too bought a fiskars set, and the deepest cut ones work the best, but because they are not cut deep they just don't emboss as well as something like the Cuttlebug.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I had bought the fiskars plates and returned them because of the results. I'm sure you could still return them if you wanted. I do have a cuttlebug and love it.

I remember people buying the cuttlebug folders and using rolling pins to get the same results. You can try that while waiting to save for a cuttlebug. I just love their embossing folders. And they are so well priced, with plenty of deals floating around for them.
Reply With Quote Likes