Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Favorite Paper Trimmer

Hello,

I know this question is asked over and over, but I would greatly appreciate any input.

I'm looking to get a new paper trimmer, but don't know which one. I'm looking for something that can cut up to 12"(cardmaker but also scrapbooker), can also score, and is child friendly (I have two kids and a soon-to-be-toddler).

I currently have the Fiskars 12" Portable Rotary Trimmer. Its a LOVE/HATE relationship. Love the way it cuts when I have a new blade and cut bar. Love how you have to hold down the rotary blade for it to cut(child friendly). HATE that the extending arm is just at the 5.25" mark and I can't get an exact 5.25" card mat. Its always bigger or smaller. Hate that it doesn't score.

I recently purchased the Recollections Paper Trimmer at Michaels, but I don't think I like it very much. Right out of the package and that very sharp pointing blade gave me a horrible cut, not very child friendly. But I LOVE that it can score and that its pink/white(matches my craft room ).

What is your favorite paper trimmer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a much older version of the Fiskars rotary trimmer in your post. It is, hands down, my favorite trimmer. I love, love, love that old trimmer for cuts measuring 4.25" or smaller. I can easily pull it out from under my table, make a couple cuts and tuck it back in its spot. However, like you, I can't get an accurate cut with that swing out extension arm, even after using a Sharpie to color the ruler's hash marks.

JoAnn's had a killer sale on the Cutterpillar Pro, which is like a plastic version of the older Genesis trimmer and I jumped on it. It has a wide base and a huge footprint. It's not the kind of trimmer you easily pull out and tuck away. You need to dedicate a spot for it and leave it there. On the up side, it gives extremely accurate cuts, even on large sizes. It does NOT have a scoring tool.

Before buying the Cutterpillar Pro, I considered a Stampin' Up trimmer, which might better suit your needs. I've read that it is made my Fiskars. It has a slightly wider base than our portable Fiskars trimmers and will give cuts up to 6.25". Anything larger and you're dealing with the swing-out arm again. It has a scoring blade and a trimmer blade. There is also an option to buy a rotary cutter arm (using this, you'll lose your scoring option.) I cannot comment as to its accuracy or cutting ability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I love my Tonic, but have heard it is no longer bring made. Don't know what I will do if I need to replace it, as there does not seem to be agreement here as to the best trimmer on this board. Hopefully more will chime in. I know everyone has their fav, and your current fav is the one that best suits your needs.lol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Mine doesn't fit your wish list very well - doesn't score, and scary for kids if you don't lock it - but I love it. I have an Xacto guillotine trimmer. Because it's a guillotine, it's self-sharpening. The one I have has a hold-down for the paper (and to keep your fingers out of harm's way) and a laser to show where the cut will actually be. It is a true 12" cutter, also. One thing that I find completely mystifying is that the printed grid on the table doesn't line up with the ruler across the top. Once you know that, though, it's easy to line things up and get accurate cuts. It does have a fairly large footprint, but I haven't found any other paper cutter that I like as much, so I just deal with it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tonic 12" is my favorite. I have had mine for 6-7 yrs and it cuts straight and clean. It has a self sharpening blade.

I Googled Tonic paper trimmers just now and this trimmer is available again. The price is $54.32 - $70.00+. I think I paid @ $45.00 when I purchased mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Favourite paper trimmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
The Tonic 12" is my favorite. I have had mine for 6-7 yrs and it cuts straight and clean. It has a self sharpening blade.

I Googled Tonic paper trimmers just now and this trimmer is available again. The price is $54.32 - $70.00+. I think I paid @ $45.00 when I purchased mine.
YOWZERS! Mine is the same age, I think I paid $35, love that it has a scoring blade, but not self sharpening.I saw a vid last week ( new one) with Jennifer McQuire who also liked ths trimmer, and that is where I heard it was discontinued. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I love my stampin up trimmer. It cuts and scores, you can lock the arm down, and I bought the rotary arm attachment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Julie Ebersole posted on her blog some new thing she saw at CHA. One of the tools was a new Fiskars paper trimmer. It has an aluminum bar that replaces the guide wire. The blades clip onto the bar so there is no 'play' for the blades-cut and scoring. I've had many Fiskars paper trimmers over the years. This looks like it replaces the one Jennifer McGuire recommends in her video. Fiskars paper trimmers are not my favorite but this one looks nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all your opinions! I do hope a few more post. I'm really thinking about getting a new trimmer, although I LOVE my current Fiskars. But not being able to get an accurate 5.25" cut is driving me crazy. I found out that at one point Fiskars had a scoring blade for their 12" Portable Rotary Trimmer, but I think its discontinued because I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks Melissa59, I will look into the Stampin' Up trimmer. Sounds like what I might need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I use the Cutterpillar Pro. LOVE it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Julie Ebersole posted on her blog some new thing she saw at CHA. One of the tools was a new Fiskars paper trimmer. It has an aluminum bar that replaces the guide wire. The blades clip onto the bar so there is no 'play' for the blades-cut and scoring. I've had many Fiskars paper trimmers over the years. This looks like it replaces the one Jennifer McGuire recommends in her video. Fiskars paper trimmers are not my favorite but this one looks nice.
I noticed this new fiskars paper trimmer in a CHA video, too. Does anyone know when and where it will be available for sale?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I recenty got this one and I love it!

Carl Professional Rotary Trimmer - Black/Silver : Target

I also have the Cutterpilar V3 and it has never given a clean cut even with a new blade.

:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I love my SU guillotine cutter, no longer available, made by Tonic I think. can't believe they stopped selling it! My go to trimmer for precise cuts is my Fiskars trimmer with the wire. I purchased the SU trimmer and hate it! It's probably me, but it's harder to cut precisely where I want without the wire.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Default love it

i have a rotatrim so many things i buy, i think well this is nice, but.... this is one of my purchases that i love. i have used it to make hundred of wedding invitations, where nothing but perfect and straight and clean will do. i have had it 4 or 5 years and it cuts like brand new. pricey but worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I love my Tonic, but have heard it is no longer bring made. Don't know what I will do if I need to replace it, as there does not seem to be agreement here as to the best trimmer on this board. Hopefully more will chime in. I know everyone has their fav, and your current fav is the one that best suits your needs.lol
Tonic is now available again! I have had my original since 2008 and still going strong. I even cut chipboard with it and I've had no problems. I can't imagine cutting with anything else. I recently bought another one and stored it in my closet just in case my original breaks down.

Last edited by miamiscrapper; 02-06-2016 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes