Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fave Double-sided Adhesive for Dies

Long title, but trying to not waste anyone's time...

OK, so, what is your favorite double-sided adhesive for intricate dies - the fiddly ones like words or frilly frames, etc.? I have several brands, but most of them come with a backing sheet that is nearly impossible for a die to cut through. That would be okay, but it messes up the whole die cut when the little pieces won't come out. Waste that - waste of tape, paper and my patience and time. (As a side note, I'm no expert, but I'd swear that backing sheet is some type of vinyl, not paper.)

What double-sided adhesive do you like that is conducive to fiddly dies? Sheets, strips, I don't care as long as I don't have to run it through my machine a bajillion times just to end up throwing the whole thing away b/c the little pieces never cut all the way through.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it under a search. If someone knows of a thread, could you share a link?

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am like you, spending a lot of time fiddling with little pieces of 3M/Scotch double sided foam mounting tape. I saw a Jennifer McGuire you tube video where she die cut a word and then die cut it two more times. She keeps all her scrap paper, so can do this easily. Then she used E6000 spray adhesive to glue them all together. This popped the word up nicely with not much fiddling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I always use adhesive sheets when I cut intricate dies or sentiments, and have used a lot of different brands. I'm assuming that you mean a thin adhesive sheet, and not a foam adhesive sheet? I haven't had any any problems with the brands I've used in the past. I find that the die doesn't cut all the way through the backing sheet in spots, but that makes it easier for me to remove the backing...as it comes off in a large piece. As long as the actual card stock cuts through, I prefer not to have to poke all those tiny pieces out anyway. If the backing sheet remains intact, but the card stock is completely cut, then I can just peel the backing off in one or two goes. When I peel the backing off, the adhesive it left behind.
I have used Stick-It, Scrapbook Adhesives, Silhouette, and Scor Tape sheets...all with great results.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent question! It was just yesterday that I was browsing various sites looking for something similar.

While I have no recommendations, I can show you a few things that I found. Most appear to be Sookwang tape branded to various companies.
Simon Says Stamp:
5" Scor-Tape: https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...3?currency=USD
6" Elizabeth Designs tape: https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...D?currency=USD
6" x 6" Sheets of Scor-Tape: https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...e-5667-sp56667
Scrapbook.com:
6" tape roll: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/uc-a...ml?w=6%22+tape
6" tape sheets: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/uc-a...ml?w=6%22+tape
Stick-It tape sheets: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/pp-sk-155.html

I recently saw someone using Stick-It tape sheets in a video and highly recommended it. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was giving the recommendation.

I would be interested in knowing the brands you tried without success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My favorite is Stick-It for the very detailed dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:22 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use the Tombow dot adhesive and the Kokuyo Dot Liner. Both of them have tiny dots instead of a straight line of adhesive. The dots allow you to place adhesive only where there is paper, so there is no excess in the spaces where you don't want it. They both work really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Stick-It and recommend it. Never had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I keep several widths of Sookwang Scor-Tape on hand: 1/8", 1/4" (the one I use the most for layers), 1/2", 1", 1-1/2", and 2-1/2". Put a piece on the back of the area you're cutting out, cut (and you may have to run it through more than once in a couple different directions), remove the die, and you're ready to go. Usually the back of the Scor-Tape stays attached so I can just attach the piece or set it aside; if the backing comes off, I put the sticky side on a piece of wax paper until I'm ready for it. Using the tape on just the area I'm cutting helps prevent waste. In order to keep plenty on hand, I order several rolls mid-year from my favorite small scrapbooking store (to help it stay in business), but if I need some between orders, Simon Says Stamp has good prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like Elizabeth crafts DS sheets. Stick it is good too.

Some people like using the Xyron machines -run your sentiment through that and I understand it becomes like a sticker. There is a small one you could use just for sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I use my Xyron machine for intricate dies. My machine is the 910, so it takes cardstock up to 9" wide. In order not to waste the adhesive, I'll run cardstock through it in the 9" width but only as long as the dies I'm cutting. Then I run the cardstock through my die-cutting machine and peel and stick the die-cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I use a couple of different kinds and Stick It is OFF my list. It's very thick and often doesn't cut/release detailed die cuts. I use the metal base plate so cutting is not often a problem.
I also use Xyron and like it. I have 2.5" 'Sticker Maker' and use it when I know I just need that width. I also have 5.5" width and usually run a half-sheet of cardstock through at once since I know I will use that chosen color often. You Don't run your cut word through it, but apply the adhesive to cardstock by running it through the Xyron, then you cut your die from that cardstock that has adhesive on the back. Peel off the paper backing and your're ready to stick it down.
I recently bought a wide roll of Scrappy Tape since it was hugely on sale and just started using it. It has adhesive on one side and paper on the other, so no peeling of protective paper is required before sticking it to your cardstock. Adhesive is on the inside side of the roll so it's protected. This is as big as a roll of toilet paper, so it takes up room in your supplies, but I like it so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I use a couple of different kinds and Stick It is OFF my list. It's very thick and often doesn't cut/release detailed die cuts. I use the metal base plate so cutting is not often a problem.
I also use Xyron and like it. I have 2.5" 'Sticker Maker' and use it when I know I just need that width. I also have 5.5" width and usually run a half-sheet of cardstock through at once since I know I will use that chosen color often. You Don't run your cut word through it, but apply the adhesive to cardstock by running it through the Xyron, then you cut your die from that cardstock that has adhesive on the back. Peel off the paper backing and your're ready to stick it down.
I recently bought a wide roll of Scrappy Tape since it was hugely on sale and just started using it. It has adhesive on one side and paper on the other, so no peeling of protective paper is required before sticking it to your cardstock. Adhesive is on the inside side of the roll so it's protected. This is as big as a roll of toilet paper, so it takes up room in your supplies, but I like it so far.
I have the Sticker Maker as well but never even thought to just add adhesive to cardstock and then die cut. I usually cut multiples of small die cuts (like words etc) when I use it and always hate the amount of adhesive that's wasted. Thanks for the input and ideas from everyone!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I use Sizzix Permanent Adhesive sheets. It cuts easily, with one or two passes through the die cut machine when attached to the card stock you're cutting. You can cut just the right amount you need (I buy it in 12 x 12 sheets) for the size of your die. I like it better than my Xyron because it wastes less product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I dislike Stick-It. I can never separate the backing because it is so thin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I either use adhesive sheets or micro glue dots
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I use the Tombow dot adhesive and the Kokuyo Dot Liner. Both of them have tiny dots instead of a straight line of adhesive. The dots allow you to place adhesive only where there is paper, so there is no excess in the spaces where you don't want it. They both work really well.
I bought a dot ATG gun on HSN (X.Mega Xyron runner) that was demonstrated as being perfect for wording because the glue dots only stuck to the actual wording - but it doesn't. It hangs off the edge of the paper, and still makes a mess of using it on words. I only use it now on envelope flaps, and use Art Glitter Glue with a tiny precision cap to put on wording. I have Spellbinders and Stampin' Up adhesive sheets but they too only seem to work on larger cuts and not details.

Thanks to all who gave advise on what they use, I plan on trying a few items out.

Happy Crafting !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes