Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing powders

Hi,

I would like to try some embossing powders. What brand do you suggest. I have a heat gun. Any tips?

TIA,
Katie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Ranger's brand of Embossing Powders. They always melt so smoothly for me. My favorite Gold of all time is Ranger's "Queen's Gold".

Oh - and make sure you get an anti-static bag to run over the paper before you stamp. It keeps all those stray flecks from sticking to the paper. I just use Versamark ink to stamp - but they do sell other Embossing inks. And you can use pigment ink too.

My site: Paper Garden Projects

Last edited by Mom0fgirls; 09-24-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: added anti-static
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Also remember, embossing powders don't work with dye ink. Use Craft/Pigment ink.

Another tip that I'll share is if the stamped image has a lot of intricate design work, be sure to use a fine (grade) embossing powder....what this means is that the EP is tinier which means less clumping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have several brands including SU!, CTMH, Gelatins (which I like their Black Glitter EP). All have been fine but the one EP I can't be without is The World's Greatest Embossing Powder in Glacier White. I bought it from Stampamania and it's a must-have for me. Sometimes EPs will bubble or have little flaws/imperfections when heated. Not this Glacier White -- its perfect every time.

I rub a cheap dryer sheet over my paper and that gets rid of the static. I had one of those powder bags but it left residue on my paper, so the dryer sheet works fine. It's another option anyway.

Have fun starting an EP collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Recently, I purchased some ZING (by American Crafts) embossing powder and LOVE it!! It comes in a ton of colors, and it bonds really nicely. It comes in solid colors, as well as glitter embossing powder, which works wonderfully!! I originally purchased it from Stamping Bella, but have since found it at my local scrapbook store. I'm sure there are other online retailers - I know Addicted to Rubber Stamps was carrying it, too. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I bought ZING embossing powder at Hobby Lobby. Love it!

BTW, the fine grade embossing powder for stamps with intricate design work is usually called "detail" embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for all the replys. I think it's time for a little shopping.

grams4eande - who makes glacier white? I think I might like to try it?

By the way I have read that some people heat from under the paper. Which is better under or over.

Thanks,
katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kate......Heating from the top is best in my opinion. Your point is to melt the powder, not singe the paper. Too much chance of burning the paper if heated from underneath.

Also, in my opinion, the embossing pillow is not a good thing. It can leave residual powder from the pillow on your dark paper. If you must, a dryer sheet works best, but really I feel it is not necessary at all. Just take care that you don't put the powder on areas that are not part of your design. Using a small soft paint brush to whisk away stray embossing powder can also work if needed.

I use pigment ink or VersaMark ink for heat embossing. I also only use Ranger embossing powders, as I have found them to be the best quality and melt the smoothest. Some other brands have particles that are more like plastic pieces rather than powder.

The Utee is also good if you're going for that kind of look.

Patti

Last edited by pjw2855; 09-25-2009 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Along the EP question.....what is UTEE?? and where do I get it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #10  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterGaloreView Post
Along the EP question.....what is UTEE?? and where do I get it?
UTEE = Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel.

Basically it's a large grain embossing powder. It's best used for projects that require you to build up several layers of embossing powder, such as the faux metal technique.

Here's a card I made with the faux metal technique. I built up 3-4 layers of UTEE on the chipboard letter and used Perfect Pearls to add color.

Here's a link to the faux metal tutorial.

This is what the UTEE container looks like.

My local Michaels carries it. Look for it next to the regular embossing powders. I would bet Hobby Lobby carries it also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know who makes Glacier White -- the label says "The World's Greatest Embossing Powder" but I didn't save anything else from the container. I pour my EP into plastic containers for easier use and cleanup and I only saved a part of the label with the name. I bought it from StampAMania in Mesilla, NM and its available on line (www.stampamania.com). Next time I'll be more careful to check who the manufacturer is on some of these things because I've found myself with only partial info and then it's quest to find the product again!

As for embossing over or under the paper -- I usually go with over but I have found that with some metallic EPs -- especially gold -- it's better to do it from under (less bubbling) and with the heat tool farther away from the paper. I have singed paper before and it can happen with either over or under so if in doubt, keep the heat tool away....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Im all about Ranger Super fine detail. I ususally get clear because I have all the SU colored ink spots, those are the colors I stick with most anyway.

Also I like the dryer sheet Idea over the embossing bag. I dont like all the grit it leaves on my paper.

my tip to you would be to not shake the embossing gun as u go over the image, it's easier to miss spots and overheat in other areas. I use a steady hand and as soon as I see my image glaze I move on slowly to the next part until done. Good luck. I love the looks you can create with embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Sparkle 'n Sprinkle?

Has anyone tried any products from Sparkle 'n Sprinkle? Their embossing powder section of their Web site is here:
http://sparklensprinkle.com/o/index.php?cPath=22

As for heat gun technique, I sometimes "warm" the paper from underneath then actually melt the embossing powder from the top; this gives me a smoother and more even melt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Im all about Ranger Super fine detail. I ususally get clear because I have all the SU colored ink spots, those are the colors I stick with most anyway.

Also I like the dryer sheet Idea over the embossing bag. I dont like all the grit it leaves on my paper.

my tip to you would be to not shake the embossing gun as u go over the image, it's easier to miss spots and overheat in other areas. I use a steady hand and as soon as I see my image glaze I move on slowly to the next part until done. Good luck. I love the looks you can create with embossing.
I love the Ranger products too!!! They are fabulous!

Reply With Quote Likes