Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Embossing Folder size

I’m puzzled about the sizes of the embossing folders I am seeing. I thought most people were making A2 sized cards, but the folders are so much larger! My cards are generally 5x6.5, but I use a Texture Boutique for embossing. It prefers A2 folders, but if the folder is no more than 5” wide, it will work. I fell in love with an Altenew EF and stencil set, but at 6x6, I can’t use it. Are many of you making cards that are 6x6 or larger?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2023, 08:57 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,875 Posts

The larger folders are nice because you can use them for portrait or landscape cards. I have so many folders that are one way, so my card has to be designed to be either vertical or horizontal depending on the folder. I think the larger size helps with creating giving more options. I know I have a few older ones in the 6 x 6 inch sizes and I use them with A2 card sizes. Yes, they will not fit in the smaller machine. I still love my Cuttlebug, but the larger size dies and folders will not work in it. Several years ago I received a Big Shot Plus so I could cut larger sizes, and emboss any size.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2023, 07:09 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago I bought an embossing folder that was too big for my big shot, so I had my husband cut it on his radial arm saw so it would fit. It doesn't look original, but it works and I can use it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Stampitis:
Renata Joyner (08-30-2023), Teachybaby (08-30-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

A2 is the most frequently made card size in the USA, but many people often make 5"x7" cards, and people overseas have another set of common measurements they work with.
Many embossing folders are now larger to give us the choice of how to orient them, but I understand that ones with a one-way design can be tricky to work with.
We all have to watch the details when buying our supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2023, 01:43 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have been disappointed a time or two by realizing my embossing folder wouldn’t allow the orientation I wanted. And after binge-watching Sam Calcott UK videos, I am now aware that other countries have different size preferences. At my age, I really don’t want to add a bigger embossing/die-cut machine to my already over-loaded craft room, but I am so tempted. I need to use what I have!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by CardCountess:
KC Hadley (08-30-2023), Nightcrawler (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 05:20 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with advancing age & number of crafting toys. With aging (& arthritises), I can no longer use a hand-crank embossing machine. That's where my Santa comes in with such good gifts. He loves to give me new stuff. I got the Gemini (9x12) almost 3 years ago and gifted my Big Shot to a new/younger crafter. Everyone wins!! And BTW, the Gemini junior plates do fit, so I can use those for smaller/quicker projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2023, 05:27 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Most of my card makes are A2 but, after following a lot of British YouTubers, I've started making larger 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 cards. 6 x 6 is common in the UK but since our standard paper is 8 1/2 x 11, I size my cards to 5 1/2 x 5 1/2. While I love the look of this size card, it does require extra postage. But back to the question at hand — sizes of embossing folders. For years I used a Vagabond or Big Shot. I've since replaced the (threatening to die) Vagabond with a Sizzix Switch. It has a much wider feed slot so I can easily use the larger embossing folders but I don't own any that won't also fit in my Platinum 6 that replaced the Big Shot. My real issue with embossing folders is that there seems to be no industry standard as to thickness, especially with the 3D folders. I have to play around to find the right sandwich for both machines depending on who makes a 3D embossing folder that I'm using. One thing I realized that is really nice about the Switch with its larger platform is that I can use the embossing folders with the paper inserted at an angle to get a partial image on my card. This is becoming very popular right now. It definitely gives more opportunities to use these embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2023, 06:38 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I generally make A-2 cards, but even with that, the original folders did not cover the whole surface of even that size card. They could only be used on a smaller layer. I loved it when they finally made the folders a bit larger, but when they got larger than 5" for the shortest side, I couldn't get them through my first generation Cuttlebug and had to cut them down. As much as I loved my bug because of its small footprint and that it folded up and could be stored, I searched for a new love. I found the Big Shot Foldaway. It is even smaller when closed as the handle also folds back. It has a wide mouth, though, so can eat even the really wide folders. I love it and since I gave my Bug to my daughter, I get to use it when I go visit her. She has most of my smaller folders too and she is good with that as she always layers, anyway and make only A-2 cards, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
beaddict (09-19-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Since I am only using my Texture Boutique, much of the discussion on videos about assembling the folder “sandwiches” isn’t relevant to me. I did, however, find a cheap (very) way to add thickness when necessary. I bought a pack of cutting boards at Dollar Tree. I think they came in a two-pack, and they are flimsy enough that I was able to cut them down with some scissors and grunting and the occasional four-letter mumble . One adds just enough thickness when I need more than was provided with my TB.

Last edited by CardCountess; 08-30-2023 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by CardCountess:
barbfarmd (09-01-2023), NinaBeth (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I love the new larger sized folders like Spellbinders. I often do 5.5 x 5.5 and 5x7 cards. The larger folders give me options, With some of the folder designs, you can get two A2 embossed backgrounds from one run through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by MN_Stamper:
beaddict (09-19-2023), jeanne3579 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_StamperView Post
I love the new larger sized folders like Spellbinders. I often do 5.5 x 5.5 and 5x7 cards. The larger folders give me options, With some of the folder designs, you can get two A2 embossed backgrounds from one run through the machine.
Ditto!!!
Reply With Quote Likes