Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamprcynView Post
I thought this was the machine for me, but I've just ready some really bad reviews on it. Does anybody have this machine that highly recommends it? I wanted the Silhouette SD, but decided against it because of the size limitation. Is the Bosskut Gazelle better than the eCraft machine? Can anybody help me make the decision? Thanks!:confused:
I've had mine from the get-go and have not had any problems. This is the only electronic machine I've used, so I'm not able to compare it to others. I had a problem with the power box that came with the machine, and customer service replied immediately and sent me a new one that day.

I'm waiting to get a lap top to use with it (don't have room for the machine next to my computer), so all I've done is load the programs into the hard drive...haven't used them. Plan to get both SCAL and MTC for the lap too.

I'm impressed that you can purchase individual images from the Craftwell site...that's a great deal.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
I'm on the verge of getting an eCraft (with SCAL) .... as I am OVER the ProvoCraft arrogance (I have the E and the baby bug, Design Studio, and 35 carts .... but I don't want to lose the ability to use SCAL). What I hear here is very good feedback. One question for those that have the machine ... can you use scraps in the machine instead of full pieces? I often use scraps to avoid wasting paper.
Scraps work fine...depending upon what they are, I sometimes place them on a piece of scrap chipboard (aka, cereal box) to hold them stable and prevent shifting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #43  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Scraps work fine...depending upon what they are, I sometimes place them on a piece of scrap chipboard (aka, cereal box) to hold them stable and prevent shifting.

Excellent. That's a great piece of advice and information. I really think this is the machine I want to switch to. It will have to wait until August, but unless I see something that really switches my mindset, I'm pretty sure this is what I'm doing. I won't get rid of my Cricut, but I do NOT plan to sink any more money into a Provo Craft product.

FYI ... Clear Dollar Stamps is selling svg files of various boxes, images, and such. They also offer svgs of many of their stamp sets. WONDERFUL if you want to cut the stamps out and layer with a shadow layer.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

I own a Boss Kut Gazelle. I LOVE the Funtime Software. I have not upgraded for the newest features in the Gazelle (i.e. rhinestones and PDFs) because all I want to do is cut fonts and design my own die cuts. I do use a pen in it quite frequently to write sentiments (instead of stamping).

I have been watching the eCraft machine sinces its first debut at CHA.

Here's what I've thought:
1. I have read terrible reviews of the software for the eCraft. However, the machine still interests me. The continuous feed and the NO MAT thing are superb. I had real concerns about the tags/chads. however, if I can use a cereal box and set it to no tags, then all the better.

QUESTION: Can it import my cut files from Funtime?? They are .wpc files.

2. I was concerned it couldn't handle scraps. Turns out it can (to a minimum size of 3 x 3 or something). I thought - yipee! Now I will know when a scrap is too small to hang on to! lol

3. I don't care that my Gazelle isn't portable. I keep it attached to my PC so I can design all the time.

4. My Gazelle is LOUD. REALLY loud.

QUESTION: How loud is the eCraft by comparison?

5. I have owned my Gazzy for 4 years of March 2011. As an upgrade, I have been considering this machine or the Pazzles Insirpiration (because it looks like its software is another specialized version of Funtime.)
--- thoughts on Pazzles versus eCraft?

6. Losing the ability to Print'n'Cut is not a concern.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

I was also interested in the eCraft, but I am all about versatility and I guess this one can only print and cut? Are there any new versions in the works for one that does it all? (emboss, cut, print, draw, etc). Would love to own a Black Cougar, but it still requires a mat even though it is a monster of a machine! (and pretty pricey). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthgedalovitchView Post
I got one - so here is the low down as it were!

It does cut without mats - beautifully! The tabs are really not an issue - you can even set it to cut without tabs ( just use a piece of card behind your paper to stabilise it! - it doesnt cut through this piece of card).

Comes with an sd card of images - some cut only, some draw and cut. It doesnt do print and cut. I have wishblade and can honestly say I never used it - so, for me, thats not a consideration.

No fiddling around with cutting speed etc. The final machine to come out does have pressure adjustment on it - up to 8. This is so that you can kiss-cut vinyl. I normally just leave mine set at about 3.5 for most of my cardstock.

Software is the glitch at the moment - the software is very basic - I think this is for a reason - to reduce the learning curve for people who just want to use pre-made files. You can import svgs and I just design stuff in inkscape and import them over - have also tried mtc and the svgs from that cut out fine. Some people have had issues getting the machine to cut svgs (not all the time, just some of the files) and there is a patch due out to fix some of these issues (we are hoping it will fix this issue)

I love it! It is quick and easy to use - turn it on and cut it out - really! Blades are cheap to replace, but it comes with 5 anyway - and I have cut quite alot and not got through one yet! It also comes with two black pens - they are producing gel pens etc, but not available yet.

I have to say that I am really impressed - the software is a pain at the moment, but even taking that into consideration, I am really happy!

Am dropping over periodically so if you have any qs I am happy to try and help!

Rx
Thanks, this was knowledge out of the horses mouth.
I have watched several video,s and liked what I have seen. The only thing I wonder about is The softwarer. Is it difficult too learn.?
How much are those cards?

Again thanks for your report re the egraf machine.It is always so much better to hear from a as I said before, "from the horses mouth"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

Hiya

I gave up on the software to be honest. I know they have produced updates and I keep meaning to go and download them - but I use Make the Cut (MTC) to import and cut my files. Craftwell, who make the ecraft, gave Andy, who makes MTC, access to their machine's software and he has now released a plugin for MTC which means that you can just cut straight from that software to the ecraft. There are lots of SVGs (most popular form of cutting/image file)
around and you can just use them (lots of SVGs are free too!).

The cards are not cheap - I think they are about $40, but you might want to check that. I really never buy them, I have the one that came with the machine and I use that for quick flowers, swirls etc, but there are so many SVGs out there, I dont need to buy the cards.

I think MTC software is very intuitive. If you can use WORD etc then I think you would find it relatively easy to work out what to do. There is also a very friendly forum over at MTC who will help you out if you get stuck. Oh and there is a brilliant yahoo group and lots of tutorials over there. They are well worth playing around with.

There is an additional charge for MTC, its a separate company, but its not horrendous. As I said, I havent been back on and downloaded the latest ecraft software and that may have improved to the point that you dont need MTC. I just love my MTC and find it quick and easy to use (but that might be because I know how to do what I need to do!). If you want to go and check it out, you can download the software for free - you wont be able to save or cut anything you produce in it, but it would give you a good idea of how the software works and what you can do with it. I did this first to check out whether I would be able to work it out! You could even work through the yahoo tutorials in the free version and not cut them out (as you wont have a machine attached!). MTC works with lots of machines, so it might be something to check out anyway, whether you go for the ecraft or not.

Since writing that original message, I have now used vinyl and love it! I have cut out a decal for my coffee mug and the back of my phone!

If you want to take a peek, my blog is at Gotta find a cool and funky name!, if you look in the right sidebar, you should be able to see the tags of the posts and just click to look at the ecraft ones.

I guess, you need to consider what you want to make with your cutter. It could be that there is something better suited to what you want to make. I am not too sure what the cutting pressure is on the ecraft, so it could be that if you want to cut balsa wood, or heavy chipboard, that it might not be up to the job! - however, if you want to just cut card, paper, vinyl, some fabrics etc then you should be fine!

Hope this helps - any questions, feel free to ask.

Rx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all this info. It's encouraging re: the machine. But I do need good software (I design my own die cuts). I have a Boss Kut Gazelle and it uses a special version of FunTime software that is made for the Gazelle. (I think Pazzles may also use it). FunTime files are saved as .wpc. Does anyone know if an eCraft could cut .wpc files?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the answer re ecraft machine. I am a total newbie to this kind of Machine. I do have a cuttlebug and a wizard. I live in Bali and why I want to change is, that I thought getting immages from the software is cheaper than buying the dies and also the plates. I have to order from the states and that can get quite expensive. At the moment all what I do is research and read as much as possible about which kind of software and the machine. At the moment I use my machines only for cardmaking. Will I get much use out of the ecraft? There are no classes here. Where will I able to learn how to handle the machine and the software?
Thanks for listening,
Jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

jogry - if you are concerned about the cost of shipping, then I would recommend a machine with downloadable designs instead of cartridge loaded, or CD loaded. The eCraft uses SD cards, which are at least small and light. However, something like the Boss Kut Gazelle and the Silhouette Cameo both have downloadable designs so there is no shipping at all on the design images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Default ecraft

Hi
Thanks for your answer. As far as I know the Ecraft machine also works with MTC software
Greeting,
Jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Hey, I'm happy I found this group! I have a craftwell ecraft that has been in a box, never opened for 3 years. So now I'm starting to use it but regardless of the blade setting I am getting rips and tears using regular scrapbooking paper. Thank goodness I have scrapbook paper I don't like, because it is jamming in the machine. Anyone have any advice. I saw a tutorial on youtube suggesting using a cutting mat - the inexpensive plastic mats that you can buy anywhere. Any luck with these? Any help would be great. Thanks for any answers! I guess there use to be a yahoo group for the ecraft, but it appears as though it has closed.

Last edited by janie1980; 10-02-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

The eCraft is no longer made or supported, however there are a ton of youtube videos out there explaining and helping with paper cutting issues. I wish I could remember the fix for this off the top of my head, however I know there is one, so get on youtube and check out the videos to find some help. I hope I helped a bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the info. I did email craftwell because I needed the key code to load my software and they responded right away. I was able to order cartridges for $9.00!! I have watched so many videos, most use the card stock, which works great! I guess I should have opened up the box and tried it 3 years ago when I got it
Reply With Quote Likes