Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's imput. I decided to put mine up fsot here
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
If I could find VERY FINE detail in more colors, I'd be using it left and right. I love the look.

)
Exactly! Even the ones that have "ultra-fine" in the name are not fine enough. I once heard that "fine" is measured in "grains" and some "fine" were 3 grain (I think Judikins) and other brands were 5 or more grains. I thought about making them finer myself, in the blender, but the risk stopped me.......what if it didn't work and/or wrecked my blender? :-)

I'm very sorry about having spent so much money on useless EP, especially the ones with metal that tarnished in a matter of weeks. But add that experience to the markers and ink pads that arrive almost dry......expensive hobby, er I mean expensive addiction. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I buy a box of small waxed sandwich wrappers at Costco(these are for delis or bakeries) and put one under the project I'm embossing, then dump the excess on the wrapper and pour it back into the little EP jar. The slippery surface of the wrapper makes the pouring easier, and I haven't found a cheaper solution yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

I will be using them, as soon as I can make up my mind which embossing tool to get! A friend gave me a crazy amount of embossing powders that she wasn't using, so I have this rainbow of them- clear, gold, several blues/teals, two yellows, black, grey, pink, and orange. They've been sitting in my craft area, taunting me for a good week now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #45  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Goodness, YES!!! Every time I watercolor, I've embossed the image! (MUCH less mess that way!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyh124View Post
I read on here (somewhere) that gave a suggestion of putting those little silica packets (from shoes, pill bottles, etc) in with your stash of EP helps to keep the air dry around them. So I've been gathering the little buggers anywhere I can find them to add to my EP drawer.
JMO

That's an excellent idea!

Pablo Picasso

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-04-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 517 Likes on 287 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Anybody have a good online source for Zing EP? Preferably good cost and shipping.
I always check Ebay, and I've gotten good package deals from Peachy Cheap:

Scrapbooking Supplies & Scrapbook Deals, - Peachy Cheap -

But you have to check daily to see what's up for that day. I've bought Zing sets twice there dirt cheap. She doesn't send out daily emails like the other deal sites do, but when I get my ScrapAce email, it reminds me to check Peachy Cheap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 517 Likes on 287 Posts

I've wondered about making the powder finer myself, but I was thinking mortar and pestle. I have at least two that I use for cooking, but I think I have another one lurking somewhere that I could use on EP.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my gosh, yes I emboss; always have always will. Not on every card but I would never not emboss. I, too, like a former contributer here, was pulled in to card making by the simplicity of a beautifully embossed card. My basic reason for getting into cardmaking was so save money!!!! "I can do that and better" I told myself. Which was true but as I developed this craft from 30 years ago with my little daughters making Christmas cards with Balsa wood etc., I found card making intriguing and challenging the big part being the embossing. I absolutely fell in love with what I could do with a simple image. Sorry to go on like this but to make cards without ever embossing is like leaving out what card making is all about. It is the classic part of the hobby. I use a piece of folded scrap paper for my glitter and powder overflow and it works just fine. I did use the container method for years, but have switched to using scrap paper for some reason. Oh, sorry, another thing is that when you emboss you can use prisma pencils and other methods of color that the lines that were embossed contain. Ranger, I think, is the best embossing powder. And yes, I do emboss with Distress Inks but you gotta be fast...have everything planned out and ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first started cardmaking, I embossed almost everything 'cos all I had was a black pigment ink pad and embossing powder and that was how people did it in Australia years ago when cardmaking became popular. Now I don't do it as often I have black dye ink pads. Sometimes I use sparkly embossing powder on a sentiment which looks fabulous - but difficult to photograph without it looking gaudy. I tend to find ep's a bit messy to use because I am clumsy - plus my girlfriend dropped a whole container of black embossing powder on my cream carpet - uggh - I can still see where it was!

I mainly emboss sentiments with gold ep at Christmas-time which I think looks fabulous for that time of year, plus I gold embossed around the edges of a Christmas card I made using the SU Peaceful Wishes set last December which I was really happy with. Here is a pic if you wish to have a peek: Vintage Peaceful Wishes Just another take on what you can do with ep.
Reply With Quote Likes