Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone own the OfficeMax Desktop Guillotine Paper Trimmer?

I can no longer stand the crooked cuts that my Fiskars Rotary trimmer makes (whether I use the grid lines or butt it up against the rail, it is crooked) and I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy a 12" guillotine paper trimmer, but I don't want to break the bank. I had decided I was going to buy the Tonic
12" guillotine, but apparently they don't make it anymore because I cannot find one anywhere online. So, I've been looking around and found this one, but before I buy it, does anyone here own one and DOES IT CUT STRAIGHT?????

Thanks for the input!!!
Sarah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Or does anyone own this Swingline one?

I just want something that cuts straight. That's it! As I'm sure you all know it is near impossible to find one that cuts a straight line! I've been through 3-4, none of them are worth a darn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

I'm curious about a good guillotine trimmer too - I'll hang out with you!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one, It is unwieldy. I have to stand over it to get all lined up. I too am frustrated over uneven cuts.

I have:
The light up one (as seen on TV), it sucks. Very hard to line up your cuts
The disc cutter one (where you can change the blades for decorative cuts), unwieldy too.
3 (three!!!) blade type cutters all cut unevenly but are easy to use.

When are they going to make A. a cutter that cuts straight, B. compact and easy to use and C. Cheap with cheap blades?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'm curious about a good guillotine trimmer too - I'll hang out with you!
Sounds good, dini! I've been making cards and scrapbooking for about 14 years and have yet to buy a straight one. And, i'm not spending $100+ on a stupid trimmer!!! (though i'm sure at this point I'm close to that with all my old ones added up)!!! I've got more important things to spend my money on, like more paper and stamps!!! :lol:

I was set on the Tonic 12", and went to go buy one, and they are nowhere to be found.

So, we will wait here, and let someone advise us!

I think I'm between the Swingline ClassicCut Lite 12" Guillotine, the OfficeMax Desktop Guillotine, and the Purple Cows 2-in-1. Waiting for some advice from those that might have any of these. I've seen mixed reviews on the Purple Cows, so that might be my last choice of the three.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
I have one, It is unwieldy. I have to stand over it to get all lined up. I too am frustrated over uneven cuts.

I have:
The light up one (as seen on TV), it sucks. Very hard to line up your cuts
The disc cutter one (where you can change the blades for decorative cuts), unwieldy too.
3 (three!!!) blade type cutters all cut unevenly but are easy to use.

When are they going to make A. a cutter that cuts straight, B. compact and easy to use and C. Cheap with cheap blades?
I love your commentary! They all suck, at least all the ones I have had!
I have a Fiskars Rotary currently, and it cuts clean and is super easy, but it does not cut straight. I've also had 3 other slider-types, and none of them cut straight. It is maddening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

People on Amazon have good things to say about the Fiskars ProCision Bypass cutter. Supposedly you never have to sharpen the blade. I don't have it but I was thinking about getting it. Right now I have the Fiskars Portable Rotary and its not awful but I don't love it. You keep having to change blades and the cutting strips.

Amazon.com: Fiskars 12 Inch ProCision Rotary Bypass Trimmer (100580-1001)

Course I would love the Genesis trimmer w/backlight, but ... don't want to spend $400 for a trimmer right now (arent they out of stick anyway?) ... besides I can buy a lot of paper and dies with that, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm. $65 is do-able. what exactly does a "Bypass" trimmer mean? I've always wondered this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

The way I understand it ... the (round) blade is mounted lower than the metal strip. When you pass this round blade along the metal strip (bypassing it), it cuts the paper and sharpens the blade at the same time (metal on metal). The fiskars rotary cutter I have ... has a round blade which bears down on a plastic strip, digging into the plastic over time (making it dull) and necessitating replacement of the plastic bearing strip eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Ahhh, that makes sense. thanks Jenn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

This one seems to have good reviews:

X-Acto Laser Trimmer - BLICK art materials
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
This one seems to have good reviews:

X-Acto Laser Trimmer - BLICK art materials
I don't own this trimmer but I have used it several times at my church office for various projects. It seems to work really well, cuts quite a few layers at once, easy to get a straight cut.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always go back to my quillotine school cutter; most of them have a screw to tighten or realign the handle, I believe. Mine is a school cutter from an office max type store.
I would be careful with anything plastic; if you are moving it around and it gets dropped you could break a plastic part; as I did with my making memories foldable cutter. the only plastic part was the paper guide and it broke, so annoying

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

I gave up looking when I bought the SU trimmer. I have gone through three guillotine cutters and four trimmers until my recent purchase of the SU trimmer. I also bought the rotary arm attachment and fancy trimming blades. I preferred the guillotine cutters but they couldn't give me straight cuts and this one does every time. I am not affiliated with su in any way...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I have an ancient guillotine trimmer that I use for everything - except 12" paper. I had to buy a trimmer for that. I got the Fiskars portable rotary trimmer and I'm not thrilled. The blades don't seem to last that long and they are expensive. If my guillotine ever gets dull (and it hasn't in over 30 years), I'll have a professional sharpen it.

The thing I like most about a guillotine cutter is that you know right away if your paper has been cut. With the Fiskars, I have to continue to hold down the paper and remove the excess to be sure it has cut all the way through. Often, it takes several passes with the blade - even on single sheets of cardstock.

The disadvantage of a guillotine printer - you should only cut one sheet at a time. Otherwise the layers of paper will shift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

OK, ladies, I have an important update!!! Because I am a very impatient person when it comes to getting things i really want,after reading about 50 reviews on walmart.com about the Swingline guillotine cutter that's linked in Post #2, I decided to go buy it last night because it was available immediately in-store and at the right price of $26.44. I have to say, I think I heard choirs of angels singing. It is, so far, dare I say it "SPECTACULAR."!!! Again, I didn't want to spend a ton, my #1 priority was that it just cut straight, that's it. I don't care if it cuts 10 pieces of cardstock. I did it with 2 pieces of SU cardstock, just held it firmly in place, and it cut perfectly straight. I tried it a few more times becuase I couldn't believe that it actually did, but it did!!! It was PERFECTLY STRAIGHT. And it was only $26.44!!!! And I got it in my hands immediately!!! It is plastic, but it is medium-weight, and it has nice rubber feet on the bottom, so it didn't slide. It is precisely what I was looking for.

I wanted to report back since I started this whole thing!

I am super happy with it, thus far. It is early, but I am optimistic!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Plus, I'll keep my receipt and box stored away if it decides to disappoint me down the road, I will promptly return it and being my search again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisvilleCardsView Post
OK, ladies, I have an important update!!! Because I am a very impatient person when it comes to getting things i really want,after reading about 50 reviews on walmart.com about the Swingline guillotine cutter that's linked in Post #2, I decided to go buy it last night because it was available immediately in-store and at the right price of $26.44. I have to say, I think I heard choirs of angels singing. It is, so far, dare I say it "SPECTACULAR."!!! Again, I didn't want to spend a ton, my #1 priority was that it just cut straight, that's it. I don't care if it cuts 10 pieces of cardstock. I did it with 2 pieces of SU cardstock, just held it firmly in place, and it cut perfectly straight. I tried it a few more times becuase I couldn't believe that it actually did, but it did!!! It was PERFECTLY STRAIGHT. And it was only $26.44!!!! And I got it in my hands immediately!!! It is plastic, but it is medium-weight, and it has nice rubber feet on the bottom, so it didn't slide. It is precisely what I was looking for.

I wanted to report back since I started this whole thing!

I am super happy with it, thus far. It is early, but I am optimistic!!!
Good for you! I am like you, when I want something - I want it right now! Glad you picked it up, and that you like it so far. Keep us posted.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have the guillotine cutter made by bostich. It looks IDENTICAL to that. It cuts straight. What I like about it is that you don't have to sharpen it... at least I never have. It's easy to use and you can cut 1 piece or many pieces. If I clip multiples. I use some binder clips on the 3 sides to keep the sheets from moving. I think you might be pleased with it. I didn't read any of the other comments. I wanted to give my thoughts without being swayed. I love my guillotine. I use it a lot (my sister and brother in law love it too). I keep it in my studio and use the fiskars when I'm going somewhere to crop or make something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I own a guillotine cutter I bought from Costco...have had it for five or six years and I love it. Glad you found one you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I have the X-ACTO PLASTIC GUILLOTINE PAPER CUTTER that does a great job. True confessions I found it at a second hand store and paid $2.50 for it! I also have found that when I score my base card I still need to line up my edges if I want the card to look straight.
Another idea is to take a whole package of card base to an office supply store and have it cut for a fee(heard on another blog). I would have them cut a few first to be sure that it is straight. I haven't looked into that option yet so don't know if is done by an automatic machine or by a person who could by sloppy. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisvilleCardsView Post
I can no longer stand the crooked cuts that my Fiskars Rotary trimmer makes (whether I use the grid lines or butt it up against the rail, it is crooked) and I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy a 12" guillotine paper trimmer,

Thanks for the input!!!

Sarah
Which Fiskars Trimmer do you have? I had been on a quest to get a trimmer that cuts straights so I bought the Fiskars Pro-Cision trimmer. It was cutting slightly off so after a year I contacted Fiskars and they replaced it free of charge. Fiskars have lifetime replacement on ALL of their products trimmer, punches etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I have the small TONIC cutter and love it. It has two plastic tabs that you hold down when trimming paper. It is very sharp. Too bad they are not making the large trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I guess I am not much help, because I have a Tonic cutter that I LOVE. I have had it since about 2004 and DH just sharpened one part of the blade last week. That is the first time it has ever needed anything. I am sad they aren't making them any more, or that they are at least hard to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I see that cutter on Tonic website. Maybe call them and ask. Here is phone- 608.836.4478.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

O M G

I cant even tell you how HAPPY I am you started this!! I thought I was crazy! I bought three different rotary cutters and it was always crooked no matter what I did! My LSS was not very helpful "It's ok. It proves it is handmade" LOL/ACK!!! Not for this anal retentive kid!! I have a small fiskers, and I cant remember the other two now. I could try to go look if I still have them.

I got the 2 in 1 purple cow at Costco. It was great...the only bad thing was the protection piece was a little loose and there is no way to tighten it but it still worked. I never tried more than two pieces at a time though.

Till I dropped it. And as someone said, being plastic, it broke. I had the two pieces together-well they aint no more, and never will be again. But they both work independently now. (I had them together because it gave me a large surface to work with. I have to store and take out to use)

I could KICK myself to the moon and back. My mom had a 12" metal one that I got rid of years ago before I started this. Metal ones now are SO expensive. :( I dont think she ever got that blade sharpened.

What I will say is that I will never voluntarily go back to a rotary blade. Guilliotine for me FOREVER now. I agree with above about clean cuts. Plus it's just a gazillion times easier to line up instead of under that plastic flip bar and "just where is the cutting rut?" No thanks!! So the second side with the rotary blade will probably never get used. Hmm..I think that needs to go in the flea market bag!!

I am glad you found one and I will make a note of it if I need to replace. I hope people keep posting b/c I was thinking on it for months before I got this one b/c of the good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

You know....I thought it sounded strange you could not find a Tonic as I had seen them around last year...

I found this so far in case anyone wants them:

Overstock.com has 12 inch
Amazon carries it-ask for 12 inch Tonic-it is out of stock right now
Tonic has their own site: Tonic Studios - Trimmer Range
Sears has smaller ones and 12 inch in a brand called Elmers

I found it mattered to google specifically for a 12 inch one.

I remember now...Tonic has a ton of different models and I was getting overwhelmed and confused by it. So it might be helpful if people tell us which model they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I found the Tonic Cutter you were wanting here:
Tonic Studios 12-inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer | Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Paper Trimmers Hope this helps! I have one & love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I gave up looking when I bought the SU trimmer. I have gone through three guillotine cutters and four trimmers until my recent purchase of the SU trimmer. I also bought the rotary arm attachment and fancy trimming blades. I preferred the guillotine cutters but they couldn't give me straight cuts and this one does every time. I am not affiliated with su in any way...
Kathy, what do you like about the SU! trimmer? I have had multiple cutters over the years and have been considering getting the SU! one for a while. I don't know anyone who has it though. My concern has been in getting replacement blades. I know SU! sells them, but when you need a new blade NOW, you can't just run and get one - you have to wait for your demo to order them. I wondered if any of the other replacement blades fit it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Swingline guillotine

I have it and love it. I got it at Walmart for less than $25. It is very solid, very sharp, and cuts beautifully. I actually got a Tonic at one time but returned it because it chewed the paper up. I also have a 6" Tonic that I'm not that impressed with. Can't imagine why I seem to be the only one who doesn't like Tonic. But my Swingline is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

FWIW, I have one of the old-fashioned 12x12 office-type guillotine cutters and while it is a bit unwieldy (I don't have a dedicated craft table), it cuts fabulously. I got it secondhand from my mom's job (they were going to throw it out) so it's probably a decade old, but it cuts like it's brand new, like butter, through at least 3/4 layers of cardstock. I also have two small trimmers and they almost always cut crooked, no matter how straight I hold the paper/photo down. The guillotine cutter, however, always cuts straight, smooth, no rips or jaggies like I've experienced with the smaller trimmers. I just really prefer the big guillotine cutter!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #32  
Inking Addict

I use the large Tonic, which I've had for about 8 years, and I LOVE it! The one I used before (no idea what the brand was) often tore the paper instead of cutting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I have a plastic 12" GBC Classic Cut CL110 guillotine cutter and I love it. Sorry, gals, but I can't remember from where I got it as I have had it for more than ten years. It can cut several sheets of card stock at a time, and is still as sharp and accurate as ever (@300++ cards/yr). (The back label mentions GBC Commercial and Consumer Group, Skokie, Ill. ; www.GBC.com).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I have a metal guillotine cutter which I love and have used for years. It cuts accurately, even if trimming the slightest bit off. I have 2 complaints. First is typical of most guillotine cutters: I can't see where it is cutting or to see anything less than 1 3/4" because of the protective strip that descends when the blade is brought down. Because of this forum, I see there is one available that only has a thin rod, which looks like it would allow one to see where it is cutting. The second, more annoying problem, is that the grid has nearly totally worn off, especially in the center area where I need it the most. Because it cuts so well, I hate to replace it, but I use it constantly, so may treat myself to a new one suggested here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have a X-acto guillotine cutter, that cuts 12" paper, self sharpening blades. I have had it since 2007. I have 2 classes a month, cutting paper for 18 cards. It still gives me sharp edges.
"Snowmen fall from heaven...unassembled." Author unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

This question pops up a few times a year because when it popped up last time, someone recommended a Dahle cutter which I bought and love. The blade is sharp and it is easy to line up - except for detail 1/4' kind of cuts. But if you have to cut a lot at once, it's great. Here is a link to the one I own:Dahle 533 Guillotine Paper Cutter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by suenscsView Post
This question pops up a few times a year because when it popped up last time, someone recommended a Dahle cutter which I bought and love. The blade is sharp and it is easy to line up - except for detail 1/4' kind of cuts. But if you have to cut a lot at once, it's great. Here is a link to the one I own:Dahle 533 Guillotine Paper Cutter
A Dahle is what I have, but not the models you linked. This is the one that all the grid lines have worn off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

I bought the Fiskars Bamboo guillotine cutter about a year ago. Its big and heavy but OMG soooo accurate. I love it! Got it from Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I have had a plastic X-acto guillotine cutter for over ten years. LOVE IT and it still works great! I stand to cut at my "cutting station". I have a Close to my Heart personal small quillotine and don't use it much, HATE slide cutters and only use one for cutting inside cuts on specialty folds. Tips for better cuts using a guillotine cutter. Always raise the blade to the highest postion before inserting cardstock, line up with desired measurement using two points along the left edge of cardstock, bring down the cutting arm using slight pressure to the left for a clean cut. I cut card kits quickly and often, so my cutter is hanging it there with sharpness, even after it's long use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I've had so many cutters over the years that I have lost count. All eventually disappointed me, bad cuts, blade problem etc. Three years ago I finally decided that I would move up, and asked my husband to buy me the 12" self sharpening Rototrim cutter for my birthday. Then I got rid of the collection of cutters in the back of the closet, AND my inherited 36" bypass cutter, because it took up to much real estate in my craft room. The Rototrim was a great investment, I'm completely happy with it. Getting rid of my bypass cutter was NOT such a great idea. I often buy oversized paper and now have to cut it with scissors into manageable size pieces. Sigh! now I am looking to by an inexpensive bypass cutter. I will again have two cutters in my craft room; What was I thinking! I will take a look at the Swingline at Wallmart.
Carole
Reply With Quote Likes