Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we have die cutting machine overload?

It seems every company under the sun has come out with "their own" die cutting machine. Each one needs it's own plates, mats, platforms and sandwiches.
Now some are offering their machines in decorator colors

Other than a wider platform which one has drastically improved die cutting ?

We have manual, electric and electronic die cutting machines with all the do dads and gear that go with them.
If a person owned all of them it would take a walk in closet to store all of them

I think these companies need to think of something new rather than yet another die cutting machine .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Supply and demand:

The person who wrote, "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" should have written something about crafting women, especially those who meet to craft with other women. I think we have all met (or virtually met) that one crafter who has to have the latest, greatest, biggest, best and most expensive ______ (fill in the blank).

You like the red ATG gun? Now you've gotta have the pink one! You thought the pink & black Big Shot was great? Now you can have it in purple or Vintaj brown. (yes, there are actually some people who "upgrade" to be matchy-matchy and/or impress their friends/aquaintances.)

The basic models average more than $75, and for what? A chunk of metal and plastic that you have to crank by hand? For that price, I can buy a microwave to cook my food; a camera to take digital photos of my family; a DVR to record TV shows; a really fancy clock to keep time day and night.

Honestly, I think these companies are pretty smart. I imagine the corporate big wigs are sitting back in their cushy chairs laughing their butts off as the profits pour in. When that flow of money begins to taper, the CEOs will look for the next great crafting trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am a geek. I use to find all those die cutters so intriguing. I had to tear them apart and put them back together again. I had to reprogram and mod them out. I had a lot of die cutters. Back when they first came out it was fun. Now, it's like blech to me. I have die cutter burnout. I can honestly say even though I am a crafter I sure didn't get a die cutter for crafting. I was interested in the geek side of it. I won't even tell you what I have done with tablets since they have came out, lol.

I don't think any of the cutters have drastically improved cutting. I feel the BigShot is still the best one and the "old school" Cuttlebug.

Electronic cutters I think the companies are producing them so fast now the cutters themselves are becoming slop shoddy. Slop shoddy programing, slop shoddy construction. There are still a few gems to be find in the die cutting world. That's what happens when die cutting became a cut throat industry. I liken it to smart phones. There are some great gems and the other ones need buried.

I am really frugal even though I am a proud geek girl. I will admit I love pretty colors. Yes, I have an Aqua Expressions. I have a Black & Pink Big Shot. I oooh and aaah over the pretty color machines when they come out. Don't have any crafting girlfriends to impress. Most of my friends are guys. They will be happy if I am wearing a Cardinal's jersey. I don't have one, lol. I don't care about impressing people. I am a girly girl so I like pretty things. I buy pretty tools. My next computer is going to be state of the art and completely modded out. I want style.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I can see wanting to upgrade to something completely different, for instance maybe to an electric vs. crank. I have both a Cuttlebug and a Big Shot and now a company would love me to upgrade to another crank machine that you must (?) have to use new dies that now cost $50 a set? I'm sure that if I had an unlimited budget I would buy into it. Since my budget is limited, I would rather have something I don't already have another version of.
I agree that it's time for something new to come along.
Great topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with this completely. The thing is though, it isn't just crafting is it? I'm sure there are lots of people on here, like me, who remember when you bought furniture to last (a few) lifetimes. Not just till next season. Likewise with a television. You expected it to outlast you. Not just till the latest, newest, all singing, all dancing model came out. And lets face it, today, any technology you buy is pretty much obsolete by the time you get it home & unpack it.:( But I am so fed up with how 'fashion' & 'trend' has got into our area. The market is worth billions, so yes, they're all going to jump on the bandwagon. Thats another thing that annoys me, actually. People who have never been involved in the craft market launching their 'signature' range! We had a well known interior decorator over here do that a couple of years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like his style, very flamboyant/gothic/renaissance, but I saw that as just another bandwagon jumper. Its like all the 'star' perfumes- makes you wonder how long before they see the money to be made here, and we end up with the 'Britney collection' or ' Paris papers' lol.:rolleyes:

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 10-22-2011 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paris Hilton did once try to jump on the craft explosion, but I don't think it went over well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I agree with this completely. The thing is though, it isn't just crafting is it? I'm sure there are lots of people on here, like me, who remember when you bought furniture to last (a few) lifetimes. Not just till next season. Likewise with a television. You expected it to outlast you. Not just till the latest, newest, all singing, all dancing model came out. And lets face it, today, any technology you buy is pretty much obsolete by the time you get it home & unpack it.:( But I am so fed up with how 'fashion' & 'trend' has got into our area. The market is worth billions, so yes, they're all going to jump on the bandwagon. Thats another thing that annoys me, actually. People who have never been involved in the craft market launching their 'signature' range! We had a well known interior decorator over here do that a couple of years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like his style, very flamboyant/gothic/renaissance, but I saw that as just another bandwagon jumper. Its like all the 'star' perfumes- makes you wonder how long before they see the money to be made here, and we end up with the 'Britney collection' or ' Paris papers' lol.:rolleyes:
ROTFL! Can I interest anyone in a Justin Beiber die-cutter.........Looks just like your old one, works just like your old one but with two important new features.......Polka Dots! and Mr. Beibers name all over it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

While I "oohed" and "aahed" over the periwinkle Big Shot; I would not have considered buying it just because it was a color I loved, I already have a pink and black one. I bought the pink and black one at Overstock.com because it was a great price, not for how it looked. I debated for over a year on spending the money on a die-cut machine and finally decided when I found a bargain, and I requested it as my Christmas present.

In my humble opinion, I can see switching "up" to an electric model from a hand crank style; especially if you have arthritis or other muscle difficulties. Other than that, it does seem a bit ridiculous with all the different "fashion-y" machines that keep being released.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

All I have is my boring old green CB. Though I do want a big shot for using the wider dies. Maybe in the spring when I have my next SU workshop and can get it for 50% off. I think I'll stick with a hand crank......at least until I can't crank anymore..... I played with a friend's cricut once and to be honest, didn't impress me. Too slow for me.

Oh yeah, and We're a 1 tv, 1 car family. Had the tv for close to 12 years now and the car for 6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Companies will continue to introduce new machines because the consumer is gullible and will buy them. I can see upgrading to a wider machine or going from manual to electric or even adding an electronic machine.

There are those that have perfectly good machines that will purchase another because the new one is a color they like better! Why wouldn't companies keep producing new machines when they know there is a market for them because some consumers have more money than brains?

I started with one machine that served me well for a long time. I have since upgraded to a wider machine and that is where I will stay. If I didn't think I would use the wider machine and the larger dies, I wouldn't have it. All the $$$ I have saved on those other machines can be spent on consumable supplies. Die cut machines are not consumable items although you would be hard pressed to prove that, seeing that some people find the need to have them all. I am very lucky because I now have twice the supplies I would have had since I made the conscious decision that all I needed and wanted was one machine.

It is just like any other product you buy - the law of supply and demand. If the consumer didn't buy the product, the companies would have no reason to keep producing them.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the surge in electronic cutting machines is due to companies trying the capture new customers who are discarding their Cricuts due to the third party software lawsuits. This is/was a big market and a lot of people were not happy with Provo Craft's actions.

In regards to buying a new Big Shot or whatever based on a new colour even if they already had the old colour, if they can afford it, then who are we to tell them how to spend their money. I think it is crazy but then again, I have friends who think I'm crazy spending money on this craft LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Do I ever agree about the fashion trends in this industry. Papers have fashion name lines. Ordinary crafters have turned into Rock Stars.

It annoys me to no end stars who have their own perfume lines. No, thank you. I don't want to smell like Faith Hill. The only celebrity who has knowledge of perfume is JLO. I don't wear her perfume either.

I can't even remember the last time I bought furniture. I want everything beautiful and stylish in my home. I want it to last.

DH & I did buy a new TV. We were not happy about it, lol. We are both huge gamers and we couldn't see our games on our analog TV. We upgraded to a LCD that we got for a steal. It was State of the Art at the time. Love our TV but it better last a long time. DH & I will be spitting nails. Our old TV went to my Mom. She is madly in love with it.

I am a computer geek. I will hack, tear apart, mod out and rebuild electronics till doomsday. I want those products to last till doomsday. I am buying a state of the art computer this year because my sweet old girl is on her last legs. She would be dead already if she didn't have a geek owner taking care of her. She's my loyal computer & I had her for years.

I cried recently when my Palm Treo died. I loved that thing. I have an iPod touch now it better last seven years like my Treo did. ;)

I do want all my tools to be pretty. Even if I bought it at a thrift store. I have too look at the things while I craft with them.

I want to add there is another reason some upgrade to a newer model or color that is because we have a loved one who can not afford those things. If I get a chance to buy another one I can give my older version to my family member or friend. I remember those days of no money and health problems. You can't get access to those nice things you would like. I remember friends and family doing that for me. I am in a position now I can spoil back. That's my big reason for upgrading.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
Paris Hilton did once try to jump on the craft explosion, but I don't think it went over well.
ROFL!!!! Just shows you, many a true word spoken in jest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I used to work for a chain store over here, Argos, and remember when this idea of 'new seasons colours' for things like kettles/toasters etc began. I could not, and still can't for the life of me understand why people would change all their household goods to match what colour wallpaper/paint they are using each year! Me, I have stainless steel & black- goes with everything! And I use it till it dies.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 10-23-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes