Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really want a cricut?

I saw the TV infomercial for this the other day and spent the morning in complete awe. (I would not buy the one from TV)
I have done a little research and found that people either love it or hate it. I found quite a bit of info about faulty machines.
It seems like quite and expensive habit. The machine comes with one Cartridge, but the others are so pricey.
I would really only use it for fonts to make scrapbook pages. I am not really into other die cut images.
Is it worth the $$ and is each cart. truly versatile enough to be used over and over and over w/o giving your pages the same look?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, Yes, Yes, (Said like the Mervyn's Open, Open, Open commercial)

I am not a scrapbooker, but rather a cardmaker. I wasn't much into die cuts until I got a Sizzix, bought some dies, had fun. Then I found the Circut, I have the little one, DH bought it for me during the Thanksgiving promotional at Wal Mart. I love it, DD loves it too.

Go to places like A.C. Moore, Wal Mart or some of the other on-line stores, like Creative Express, etc., the prices are better than the info-mercial. Go to the Cricut Frequently Asked questions link or the Cricut Chatter #3 link in this forum and you'll find a wealth of information from some really amazing Cricuteers.

Cartridges are expensive but wait for sales, Micheal's sometimes, and a lot of on-line sites have sales where the cartridges get down to $44 each. When you look at the price of the cartridge, consider this: one font cartridge, say the Pooh Font (which I just got), for the little machine you have 11 sizes to choose from, from 1" to 5.5". So basically you have the same alphabet letter and numbers, but you can vary the sizes. Then it has 6 different styles of the letter. Every cartridge seems to have a layering feature where one letter is cut slightly smaller to allow for a 2 color letter. The Pooh Cartridge has a honey pot, which is cute enough alone, but you can also cut out a letter in each pot. It also has Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eyeore as baby's. So you could do gift wrap, baby cards or scrapbook pages with letter and coordinating die cuts.

The other alphabet cartridge I have is Mickey Font, similar to the Pooh cartridge except the Letters and numbers are cut out of Mickey ears and the faces of 6 popular characters, and some sayings.

I also have Alphalicious, a basic alphabet and number set. But it also has some sentiments, tag shapes and card shapes.

I also have some other cartridges that are shapes, like the Disney Princesses, Paper Dolls, and Walk in the Garden. Besides the shapes you see on the box, the shift key or a function key will reveal other images that you don't expect and can use for all sorts of layouts.

Do some cruising around and check out all that's available on the cartridge and you'll have a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

You may also want to check into a Pazzles Inspiration. While the price may scare you off initially, it's great for cutting fonts. You can cut any True Type font that you have loaded on your computer--so you don't have to buy any cartridges! I bought one about a month ago after a year of trying to decide between the two.

The software also comes with a variety of shapes or you can purchase cd's with other shape categories for $20 each. You can even scan a picture and upload into their software to cut out (I haven't tried this yet, but it looked pretty easy when they demonstrated it using a picture from a coloring book).

The only drawback is that it isn't really portable like a Cricut because it is bigger and has to be connected to a computer in order to use it.

If you don't mind it not being portable and you are comfortable with design software, get a Pazzles.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #4  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 612 Likes on 431 Posts

I have the same question, I may have to put one on my Christmas list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

The cartridges are pricey but they go on sale at Hobby Lobby. Wal-mart has them cheaper than anyone though.

I use mine pretty often, but not enough to justify it sometimes. Not b/c there is anything wrong with it, I just get lazy about it. If you have the time you can do a lot of neat stuff though.

Get it at Walmart when it's on sale and it's definately worth it! They had it for around $130 with 2 cartridges at my Walmart a little while back.

I have a few cartrides. The best, I think, is Doodlecharms. It's very versatile! I'm not a big fan of the font cartridges I have. I need to get a new one that I actually like and maybe I would use it more.

I think I will get a lot of use out of it when I am making Christmas cards in mass!

Scrappractical - The Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Well, i'm a die cut person, and after owning a Sizzix, a QK, and a cuttlebug, i really wanted the Silhouette- it's a motorized cutter like the wishblade. I was sure I would love it and use it all the time.
But I find it is a pain to get out the computer and use it, so I still use my manual cutters and I have used the Silhouette maybe 5 times since December.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Mine is on order! I got the $329 deal from AC Moore ... a lot of money (no doubt), but a great deal!

I played with a friends Cricut last week. It was fun, but I walked away thinking I could totally live without it. I kept thinking about the letters, though.

I like to do BIG titles for my scrapbook pages. To date, I've been using my Sizzix to do the letters ... and it's so time-consuming that I find myself AVOIDING scrapbooking! I just love the look of those clean-cut letters on cards, as well. There are SO many options within a single cartridge!

So, I decided to get the Cricut and give myself six months with it ... if I get caught up with my scrapbooking and still adore it, I'll keep it. If I don't get caught up in six months, then I'm selling it. I think I'll be able to recoup most my costs should that happen.

The bundle I bought comes with four cartridges and my friend has another six ... I figure that'll keep me entertained. I've also seen a lot of cartridges on eBay that go way below retail.

I was looking at used machines on eBay, but between the cost of the item and the shipping ... it just wasn't that much more to buy a new one. Should I have any problems with it, I'm covered by returning it to the store or by the manufacturer's warranty. I feel there's a price on "peace of mind." I don't always have great luck, though, so maybe that's why I feel that way

Sorry so long - but I wanted to share how "I reached and justified" my decision to get one.

I strongly suggest sitting in on a Cricut class - I know our Michael's and a locally-owned scrapbook store offer them. The amount you pay for the class is small when you think about how much you could possibly be investing in the machine and accessories! Who knows, a store might even give you a free demo! While it's not as involved as the class, at least you'll get an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My hubby just bought me the circut from the tv commerial for Mother's Day, and it is pretty neat. I already have 6 cartridges!
I have used it a few times, I didn't really NEED it, but I WANTED it!
I have been making calenders as gifts and the fonts are perfect for the months.
I thought if I didn't like it I could send it back after 30 days, but I won't. It's a neat tool for cardmaking and scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks ladies!
I never even thought to check Walmart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Although I don't use mine as often as I should, I love my Cricut. When you compare the cost of a font cartridge, which you can often find for less than $50 each, to the cost of a font set for sizzix (which is usually around $250), the choice is very clear. Each cartridge has lots of options for cutting and you have the versatility of adjusting the size as well. For those that want the ability to cut their own fonts and design their own shapes, you can always purchase a third-party software, like Sure Cuts Alot, which will allow you to connect and cut with your PC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

YES!! You need one!! I got a Cricut Expression for Christmas and absolutely LOVE it!! I am a bargain shopper and also research any large purchase, and I think it is a great investment. I buy my cartridges on ebay (usually under $40 incl. shipping) or when Michael's sells them for $39.99. You just have to watch and wait for the sales.
I use my Cricut for cards, scrapbook pages, little books I make for my son, and I just started cutting vinyl with it to make tiles, signs, etc. Just watch out... if you do decide to get one, it becomes an addiction!!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have the smaller one. I got mine at M's for $139. I got my carts on sale, most for $33 each. I LOVE it. My kids, my friends and my neighbor who's a teacher love it. My 8YO daughter used it 3 times for school projects this year. My once skeptical DH was overheard telling a buddy whose wife scraps to get his wife one. My only complaint is that I don't get near enpugh time to play with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use the Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) software with your Cricut machine to cut ANY True Type font or dingbat. http://www.craftedge.com You can get it cheaper at http://www.cutterscreek.com. Sign up to be a member and then wait until you are manually added to the members' pricing group. When you see two prices for each item, the lower price is the members' price. SCAL is only $55.99. (Free shipping too!) Send me a PM for a one-time use $5 off coupon code.

A sale was just announced on the Yahoo Group for Cutters Creek (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cutterscreek/). The personal Cricut machine is on sale for $150 including US shipping and the Expression Cricut machine is on sale for $260 including US shipping. (You need to be a member of the Yahoo Group to purchase these at the sale price.) Once you've joined, check out message #1925 for the details on the sale.

I don't work for Cutters Creek but I AM a very satisfied customer.
I am also one of the moderators for the Yahoo Group. The owner, Viqui, also does giveaways on the Yahoo Group. (She's hinted that she'll be giving away a couple of George cartridges soon.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

BTW, I never thought I'd want a Cricut machine. I got a good deal on my baby Cricut ($100 including shipping). Then I wanted the bigger machine so I could make bigger boxes and bags. I found a great deal on a new Expression machine ($200 including shipping). I sold my baby bug for what I paid for it.

So... if you buy a Cricut machine and decide you don't like it, you can always find a buyer. (Especially if you buy the Expression machine.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
BTW, I never thought I'd want a Cricut machine. I got a good deal on my baby Cricut ($100 including shipping). Then I wanted the bigger machine so I could make bigger boxes and bags. I found a great deal on a new Expression machine ($200 including shipping). I sold my baby bug for what I paid for it.

So... if you buy a Cricut machine and decide you don't like it, you can always find a buyer. (Especially if you buy the Expression machine.)

Kimberly

The big E is on my wishlist...where did you happen to find a great bargain??? Awesome find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1r601View Post
The big E is on my wishlist...where did you happen to find a great bargain??? Awesome find!
I found it at the Cricut.com message boards under Product Reviews & Deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE my Cricut!!! I purchased mine from the infromertial (sp.) I purchased it from there because I received 2 catridges with it, 2 mats and 2 blades and some of the Cricut tools along with the 12 inch trimmer. I was also aloud to make 5 payments which helped make it affordable. Along with all this it had a 60 day money back guarantee if I was not satisfied. 90 after having my Cricut the blade started to malfunction and not cut heavy card stock. I contact Cricut and they sent me a replacement machine with 2 blads and mats for my inconvience. I just got some cartridges from AC Moore for $49.99. They always put theirs on sale right before new cartridges are released. I have also purchased some off of eBay for really great deals. I would say GO FOR IT!!! I was never in to die cut but now find I can not use this machine enough. I do a lot of swaps on here and it allows me to do fun, unique layouts very affordable because all do is buy the paper and little embelishements.

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I have had two machines.. the original which I just sold this past weekend and I have the Expressions.. I never had an issue with either machine. I think they are a great tool to use.. I make lots of crafts for my kids classes and the Cricut works like a charm to cut out the things I need for the projects.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #19  
luvjdb

If you have a Costco near you or just go online, I would suggest buying it there. They have the best return policy hands down. So, if you find that it's not worth it, I would simply return it because their policy is that if you're not satisfied with the product, they'll take it back. Nothing has to be wrong with the product.
I have a cricut machine, but I will be trading it in for the new expressions because I don't like that the smallest cut is 1" in size. Sometimes I make smaller cards and the cuts aren't small enough to fit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I don't use mine that often, but it is nice when you need it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Buy a digital cutter

I have a klic n kut which is a digital cutter that cuts up to 1/8 inch thick. it is the only machine out there that cuts grungeboard and I would highly recommend a digital cutter, either the knk or the new pazzles. Any and every font that is made you will be able to cut and you won't be wasting your money on expensive cartridges. but of course there is a small learning curve so it is not a plug and play item but it is sooooo worth the time and effort you put into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I love my Cricut E--I have used it on every page I have made since I got it! I had the Silouhette, but packed it up and and sent it to dil! We are going to visit this summer and she wants me to bring my cricut--so I got it's workforce bag for travel today and we are ready to go! I cut chipboard with the multiple cut option-- cut like butter--I havent tried the grunge board yet--but I think it might work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

I love, love love my cricut.

I have all the cool paper toys. I love paper toys --- but of all my tools and toys, I love my cricut.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I'm getting an Expression for my birthday today. What else do I "need" to get started? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cartridges, lots and lots of cartridges. LOL!!! A mat should come with it but I would get an extra one. They wear out quick if you use it a lot. I also have the spatula tool which is AWESOME!! Makes it easy to remove small cut outs. Check to see if an extra blade comes with it also. You might want to have one of these for back up also.

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lroberts1977View Post
I'm getting an Expression for my birthday today. What else do I "need" to get started? TIA
The good news is that you get enough with the machine to do quite a bit. The Plantin Schoolbook cartridge has a good sample of things on it (like a bag, a card, an alphabet, plus a few shapes). Although having 12 x 12 paper would be good too. Having a machine and cartridges won't help much if you don't have paper!

Happy Birthday!!!! (A most excellent present!)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lroberts1977View Post
Check out the Sure Cuts a Lot software! You can do so much more with your Cricut with that added on!

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes