Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do I need a Big Shot?

Hi Everyone,

I would love everyone's advice! I have a Cuttlebug that I've been using for many years and it's always gotten the job done. I even have a back up one still in the box in case this one were to go bad and it got discontinued, lol. I'm a crafting hoarder with anxiety The Big Shot is everywhere though and has been for quite some time now. In your opinion, does the Big Shot do things that the Cuttlebug doesn't do... that makes the purchase worthwhile for me? The only difference I can see off hand is that it fits larger dies. I know everyone loves their Big Shots.. I guess I'm just wondering what are the differences that would make the jump worthwhile? Thanks for your advice! - Catherine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and I like my cuttlebug more. I find it easier to use with fewer second tries to get dies to cut all the way through. The only issue is what you pointed out, that the big shot accommodates the jumbo embossing folders, which I have a bunch of. If you don't have the jumbo folders, I'd stick with the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a $10 Cuttlebug from a garage sale (and a $5 Cuttlebug from another garage sale as back up). I'm set and not missing the Big Shot (if I find one at a garage sale for $10 I might consider). Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I bought my Big Shot because I fell in love with some dies that wouldn't fit my original die cutter ( a Zip'eMate -remember them?!). I have since felt no need to upgrade to the bigger machines that take the jumbo dies or A4 folders (not sure if they have a different name on your side of the Pond, the sort that would emboss a whole sheet of cardstock).

So, if your trusty Bug does everything you want to do and you don't see dies or folders that you simply must have that won't fit it then no, you don't need a Big Shot - buy a few stamp sets instead ;)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like them both. I like the magnetic plate on my Big Shot. Things don't slip around as much. When my used Big Shot conked I did buy another one. My used Cuttlebug is still going strong. Like it's footprint because it's easier to put away on a shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I love my trusty Cuttlebug if I need to replace I'd probably get another or the new folding Big Shot:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I like them both. I like the magnetic plate on my Big Shot. Things don't slip around as much. When my used Big Shot conked I did buy another one. My used Cuttlebug is still going strong. Like it's footprint because it's easier to put away on a shelf.
I've been think of getting this for my Cuttlebug: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0XJTBX...=3UM6BML2D2JVV
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Can someone point me to a "jumbo" embossing folder, ones that fit in Big Shot & not the Cuttlebug? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I like that foldaway Big Shot. Very handy size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I really think the only reason for getting a Big Shot is the size of dies & folders it can take. A few years ago, I was fortunate to have enough spare cash to upgrade my Die cutting machine, and I went with a Big Shot Pro, simply for the reason I was fed up with dies & folders getting bigger than my trusty 'Bug could handle. I still use my 'Bug for small stuff it can cope with,though.So, unless you are at that place of wanting to use regularly stuff the 'Bug can't handle, then I would say no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
...and I went with a Big Shot Pro, simply for the reason I was fed up with dies & folders getting bigger than my trusty 'Bug could handle.
Be aware though that the Big Shot Pro is not the same as the Big Shot. The Pro will take things up to 12" wide, the Big Shot is only 6" (so even those 8" square folders won't go through, you can use A2, 6" square and 5"x7" as long as you don't want to turn trhough 90 degrees). I wonder if that's what people meant with the "jumbo" folders referenced earlier in this thread, they're thinking of the Big Shot Pro sizes? I believe there's also a Big Shot Plus which is in between the basic and the Pro versions.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 04:23 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Hi Everyone,

I would love everyone's advice! I have a Cuttlebug that I've been using for many years and it's always gotten the job done. I even have a back up one still in the box in case this one were to go bad and it got discontinued, lol. I'm a crafting hoarder with anxiety The Big Shot is everywhere though and has been for quite some time now. In your opinion, does the Big Shot do things that the Cuttlebug doesn't do... that makes the purchase worthwhile for me? The only difference I can see off hand is that it fits larger dies. I know everyone loves their Big Shots.. I guess I'm just wondering what are the differences that would make the jump worthwhile? Thanks for your advice! - Catherine
I wondered the exact same thing recently. I had a full coverage die that no matter what sandwich I tried or how I spot-shimmed, would only cut on my Cuttlebug with a huge amount of force, which of course is risky to the machine.

I figured I might need to switch a Big Shot, and took the die (actually a set of two), to an LSS. We tried them on two different Big Shots and using the same varieties of CS had the same exact problems.

My sense is you're fine with your Cuttlebugs unless you're hankering after super-sized dies.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Angelnorth, good points I should have mentioned. Sorry if I've confused or misled anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

The only reason I even bought a Big Shot was because there was ONE die that I NEEDED that was NOT going to go through the 'Bug... Of course, it also required extended plates and all, so it was a domino effect thing. I'm glad I have it, and I sold the Cuttlebug before we moved, but except for that one die (which I use A LOT), I would have been content with just the 'Bug... I've since bought a Baby Blue from Tattered Lace so I don't have to haul out the Big Shot (no space for a permanent station) for small things.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 08-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I love my Cuttlebug. It stopped working once and my husband took it apart and was able to fix it. A screw fell, so he was able to put it back in it's place. It is all metal inside and is made to last a long time. I got a Big Shot Plus for my birthday in 2016 and use it all of the time. I wanted a magnetic plate, so it came for my birthday this year.

If I want to partial emboss though, I pull out my Cuttlebug. It makes partial embossing or partial die cutting much easier. Maybe because it is so much smaller that I feel I have more control, or I am more experienced with using it for partial work.

Love them both!
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I have a magnetic plate for my C'bug. I wonder if it's the same plate...

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I could have bought either when I bought my first die-cutting machine, and I chose the Big Shot because I had the room for it and felt that it would be more stable. I don't need to put it away to make room and I don't take it anywhere so, again, the folding feature wasn't important and I also liked the handle on it better, it looked more substantial. I've had mine for years (it's the pink and black one).

But you seem happy with your CB.

When I was ready for another machine, I got the Vagabond because my interest was not in going bigger, it was in not having to crank if I didn't feel like it. But I use them both. I suspect if you got a BS you wouldn't ditch your old machine. It's nice to have a back-up. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

The big shot plus will take up to 8 1/2" wide and I love mine. It lets me turn the direction of embossing folders and I don't have cut my paper down to fit. It has a smaller footprint than the pro. If you do get a BS just save up some more and get the plus. The difference is cost is worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a Cuttlebug for a few years before I bought my BigShot. The ONLY reason I bought the BS was the magnetic plate. I pull out my Cuttlebug way more than the BS. The CB always cuts on the first pass, is easier to pull out of the closet, and takes up less space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
I've been think of getting this for my Cuttlebug: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0XJTBX...=3UM6BML2D2JVV
I bought this last week while it was on sale at JoAnn's. It is great. I use my Cuttlebug over my Big Shot except when using the large embossing folders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Whoa Cuttlebug magnetic plate-missed that. Gotta have it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I have the BS and used to have a Cuttlebug. I enjoy using both but gave my daughter in law my bug when she started crafting. I recently purchased a Gemini and I have to say I am in love with the cutting and spectacular embossing it provides. Plus I don't have to hand crank my machine anymore.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Plus the Gemini came with all the plates you need including a magnetic plate. The cutting area is 9x12 making it easy to cut several dies on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper: I am very pleased to say the least.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Big Shot Foldaway un-boxing video: &feature=em-uploademail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I have a Big Shot I love --had it for years. I bought a Cuttlebug for back-up just in case something happened to the Big Shot, but found the Cuttlebug so much less stable and sturdy that I bought another Big Shot for back-up. I use it almost every time I craft. The Big Shot will cut a wide variety of materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I've used both machines at several LSS's, own a Cuttlebug (well, two), and find them as stable as the regular Big Shot. When deciding which to buy, it came down to size. I love that the Cuttlebug can sit closed on the corner of my computer desk. Die cutting is the only crafting I do there (as opposed to on my craft table).
An instructor at one of the LSS's helped me decide. She carts around Cuttlebugs and likes the ease, but considered the two types equivalent other than that.

I think part of it is just what you get used to. I'm sure if my Cuttlebug disappeared and a Big Shot landed on my desk tomorrow I'd be just as happy cranking away, other than it taking up a little more space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I keep a Big Shot set up in a closet in aa guest room. I do find that when I have a difficult die, especially a big plate, my Cuttlebug will often do a better job. I realize they all seem to have pressure variations depending on usage but my Cuttlebug gets the tough spots. I also have an old bought-used Revolution on my desk for the tiny stuff and just because it looks so cute and vintage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I keep a Big Shot set up in a closet in aa guest room. I do find that when I have a difficult die, especially a big plate, my Cuttlebug will often do a better job. I realize they all seem to have pressure variations depending on usage but my Cuttlebug gets the tough spots. I also have an old bought-used Revolution on my desk for the tiny stuff and just because it looks so cute and vintage.
Oh dear, I fear you have just Revolution-enabled me.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: fear, not rear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Revolution if you can find one is a cute but limited machine. My plate wasn't too badly worn and some person on eBay manufactures the little plates. I'm amazed at how well it cuts with just one plate. Mine was in pretty good shape. No telling if the ones they sell on eBay are in great condition. It's my little Model T type cutter. If they started making them again I would buy a new one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my bigshot as personally have found it more stable than the cuttlebug. If the fold up bigshot had been available when I needed a bigshot I think I would have gone for that as smaller footprint would be handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Tuesday Morning to get one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Revolution if you can find one is a cute but limited machine. My plate wasn't too badly worn and some person on eBay manufactures the little plates. I'm amazed at how well it cuts with just one plate. Mine was in pretty good shape. No telling if the ones they sell on eBay are in great condition. It's my little Model T type cutter. If they started making them again I would buy a new one.

OT There's the Sidekick too. I'll have to compare sizes, not that I need one, so I hope I forget I posted this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

I'm eyeing that Baby Blue one from Tattered Lace too. I don't need it but, you know.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I'm eyeing that Baby Blue one from Tattered Lace too. I don't need it but, you know.........
OT They don't know their colors. . .

The Sizzix Sidekick can take dies up to 2.5" wide I gather. I like the suction thing. I'll have to see if the others are the same.

Here's a nice bundle and it has a video, though I get seduced by bundles like a dog around a grilling steak, and then don't need/care about what's in them. What is it about machines and us? :rolleyes:

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sz-6...-shopping-feed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

The Sidekick is really compact and yet it has a longer plate. Actually the Cuttlebug doesn't have much of a footprint either and is pretty versatile. The magnetic plate is on my wishlist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

The Sidekick is really compact and yet it has a longer plate. Actually the Cuttlebug doesn't have much of a footprint either and is pretty versatile. The magnetic plate is on my wishlist.
I have Cuttlebugs, two because I "had" to have the spa blue one, right? :oops: I need to donate or sell the other locally. (Shipping would be high.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This enabler says "Yes, you need a Big Shot!" I held out for a very long time. Then my daughter wanted embossed wedding invitations and she was very certain I could make them. I took the plunge, bought a BS and made her 250 beautiful invitations. That was in 2010 and BS is still going strong....but the cutting plates have seen happier days!!
Reply With Quote Likes