Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug that I use a lot, but am seeing more and more of the Bigz dies I want to use. I have a couple and have used them, but am kind of afraid they're going to makr my cb explode! And I'm really wanting the Bigz L Stocking and Peekaboo Frames dies in the SU Holiday mini, so I think I'm going to end up getting a Big Shot.

Free cat hair with every card!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't read the whole responses - but YES I think you "need" a big shot as much as we "need" any of these supplies. I originally got mine because I wanted to use the embossing folders - which I love - but now I really like using it also for die cuts - especially labels like spellbinders or the SU! top note (my all time favorite). I got mine with a coupon and M's - Jo Annes has it too - the Big Shot and the Big Kick are the same machine BTW
HTH Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #43  
Glitter Queen

I a still a serious newbie so I rarely chime in on techniques or machines but this one I can speak on. I feel that if a newbie should buy any *machine* it should be a Big Shot. When I first started card-making I was lucky enough to spend time with people who had several of the popular machines. The one that stuck out to me the most was the Big Shot. I didn't need to make sure there was a plug around I don't have to buy 35-50 dollar cartridges and it is friendly with so many die cuts. I got mine from overstock on sale and with a great coupon. I live it and it is the best card making purchase I have ever made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wedlady77View Post
I a still a serious newbie so I rarely chime in on techniques or machines but this one I can speak on. I feel that if a newbie should buy any *machine* it should be a Big Shot. When I first started card-making I was lucky enough to spend time with people who had several of the popular machines. The one that stuck out to me the most was the Big Shot. I didn't need to make sure there was a plug around I don't have to buy 35-50 dollar cartridges and it is friendly with so many die cuts. I got mine from overstock on sale and with a great coupon. I live it and it is the best card making purchase I have ever made.
I couldn't agree more.....when I have just a few minutes...I can run over and try something on this wonderful tool....whether it's with paper,fabric or metal...just love it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

Here's my 2 cents: I can't make a card these days without using my Big Shot! I LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #46  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Since you said you are a scrapper....as I am too, why not get the big shot pro!!!! I have a cricut and the big shot pro. I can't really see me getting any more "machines" because these two do it all for me. I love my cricut!!!! and I LOVE LOVE my big shot pro!!!! I like to make banners for birthdays for my kids, so I go the pro banner die and LOVE it! I can cut chipboard with my cricut but prefer to cut it with my pro. The pro can cut ANY die on the market!!!! Any!!!! Any nesties!!! ANYTHING!!!! For the extra money of the pro- I felt like it was totally worth it! It is more expensive and it is HEAVY....but it is well made too! I keep it on the shelf and use it on the shelf....but I have carried it to the kitchen table when I need to..not my favorite thing to do cause that sucker is heavy. The pro is supposed to have 12X12 embossing folders availiable in 2012!!!!! I am very excited for that as a scrapper!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I *heart* my Big Shot! It seems like I use it with every card, for either embossing or die-cutting. And now I'm into making cute treat boxes and packaging with different SU! dies. I think buying one is a decision you won't regret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #48  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
Since you said you are a scrapper....as I am too, why not get the big shot pro!!!! I have a cricut and the big shot pro. I can't really see me getting any more "machines" because these two do it all for me. I love my cricut!!!! and I LOVE LOVE my big shot pro!!!! I like to make banners for birthdays for my kids, so I go the pro banner die and LOVE it! I can cut chipboard with my cricut but prefer to cut it with my pro. The pro can cut ANY die on the market!!!! Any!!!! Any nesties!!! ANYTHING!!!! For the extra money of the pro- I felt like it was totally worth it! It is more expensive and it is HEAVY....but it is well made too! I keep it on the shelf and use it on the shelf....but I have carried it to the kitchen table when I need to..not my favorite thing to do cause that sucker is heavy. The pro is supposed to have 12X12 embossing folders availiable in 2012!!!!! I am very excited for that as a scrapper!!!!
Is that big shot pro the one you use with electricity or is this something different?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Big Shot Pro is a larger manual die cutting machine. I don't have one I make mostly cards. I think there are several models. From what I have read the Westminister is the one to get if you go that route. (It comes with all the extras.) The Pro has a bigger 'footprint' so takes up more space and like the regular Big Shot, doesn't fold up.

Good luck on your choice. I started with a Cuttlebug (my all time favorite) & got a Big Shot for a Christmas present - love also.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 09-21-2011 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I am jealous you have a BSP, lol. I plan to get one when I get a rolling shelf for it. I have learned my lessons to not buy machines until I get the furniture for it, lol. I can share some stories about juggling machines around and carrying them all through the house. I am excited about the 12x12 embossing folders. I don't scrapbook but do altered arts so now I have all these ideas I want to do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Since you said you are a scrapper....as I am too, why not get the big shot pro!!!!
Just one reaon - $599! :shock:(plus postage - I can only imagine what that would be)

Gotta love Australian prices. The dollar might be at parity on the exchange market, but it certainly isn't in the crafters market. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Okay so I started looking around for the BS and noticed the BSE (Express) and love the electric one but everyone where I find it, it states it is out of stock or discontinued!!! Anyone know why? I'd love one of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

I don't think they make the BSE any more. I think I remember something about it being replaced with the Vagabond, can anyone verify this for me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

The BSE had a lot of electrical problems: motor jamming, machine shutting off while cutting, etc... Sizzix phased out that machine. I know TH's Vagabound was supposed to be a separate machine in the Sizzix line. I think Sizzix was able to fix the kinks in the Vagabound that the BSE had. I am guessing the Vagabound might be an replacement for the BSE even though it didn't start out that way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

I'm planning on getting the big shot next month at my SU workshop....that is of course if I have a $400 party. %50 off......works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen the Big Shot Express going for cheap on eBay, but I'd be a bit leery about an electric version unless there was some reason I couldn't crank the manual one.

An eBay seller (OhMyCrafts) has been listing several manual (pink & black) models every day for $49 plus $9.99 shipping. I think that's an excellent price. Apparently, others do too. Recently, the seller put a warning on the eBay page telling bidders that it "could" take up to three weeks for delivery due to popularity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

This blogger makes cards all the time with her cricut. Great videos. Check it out
The Pink Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by debi0702View Post
Okay I have been into scrapbooking for years now. Just recently I have gotten into card making and love it!
About 6 months ago I bought a Cricut for my scrapbooking and have used it some. I have been watching demos and tutorials on some card making items (I mostly love using colored pencils and stamps).
What I have been surprised at is the number of tutorials that use items like the BIG SHOT to use die cuts for their stamping.
For those of you that make cards - is the Cricut not a viable alternative to the BIG SHOT? I have no problem buying one (what's one more scrap item? lol) but just thought my Cricut would have been of more use to me.
Also I do have an embossing machine so that isn't the issue.
Need some direction my friends!
Debbie
No, you don't need one.

But, you wantssssesss one, my Precioussssssss!!! Doessssn't you?!

Teasing. I AM TEASING YOU! ;)

I do that.

Seriously, I bought the original when it came out and have never once regretted the purchase--the thing is an absolute work horse and I use it far more than I ever imagined.

I got a Silhouette (digital) die cutter last fall, and I'm only just now learning to use it. And, I know I will, but I love having the manual Big Shot, in tandem to the Silhouette because it can do things the other cannot, such as pressure emboss, and squish things like bottle caps nice and flat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #59  
Glitter Queen

Julie -

Yes I do want one and loved your joking! made me laugh for sure.

Thanks for your advice!

Best Regards,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

SU is offering a free (yes, it's FREE!!) whenever you sign up as a demonstrator this month (October). The demo kit is $175 and you have lots of choices for products in the kit. If you don't want the Big Shot, they'll throw in an additional $100 of product. How cool is that?!!!

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #61  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by piglady56View Post
SU is offering a free (yes, it's FREE!!) whenever you sign up as a demonstrator this month (October). The demo kit is $175 and you have lots of choices for products in the kit. If you don't want the Big Shot, they'll throw in an additional $100 of product. How cool is that?!!!
How cool is that?? SUPER COOL!

Yep just signed up (again) and got $100 of free product since I already have Big Shot (and LOVE it). I make flower hair bows and use a lot of the flower shapes and circles and my big shot can go through about 10 layers of satin so easily. Certainly faster than hand cutting anything!

Ordered my extra $100 at 7:47pm and I just got the shipping confirmation at 9pm! Can't wait to get all my goodies! Nearly $450 worth of product for $175 + tax! Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Vivi's Mommy---if I could sign up my hubby, I would!! Just to get another Big Shot...I'm a new demo since July, but I hope to build on my card classes. It would be nice to have two Big Shots for classes...oh well!! Glad you signed up!

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Likes