Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great demo on the markers. Tim's products never disappoint~!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

I am located in Canada and I just put in my pre-order at Scrappin Great Deals and got them for $103. Cndn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't wait to try my markers, the scrapbook store I work for ordered them for me. I get them tomorrow!! Happy Dance! Of course had she not rerouted the UPS order I would of been able to try them out on Thursday. Oh well have spent my time wisely and purging, cleaning, sorting, trashing, etc my scrappin stuff.
Tim's CHA reveals are going to be expensive!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

OOZAK has a fab preorder price and free US shipping! I ordered mine today - will prob be in within the week... they have GREAT service, too! No... I don't work for them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #45  
Glitter Queen

Red face Tim, you make my wallet hurt........

I, for one, want the whole set. Just cant really afford it right now. Mainly because I ALWAYS seem to want something ;) (Currently at the top of the 'want' list is a Zing! Cutter, Distress markers, and I just paid to register for the Copic Certification class.....)

However, I do fair amount of ordering from Oozak.com: eCustomer Service at its BEST! The guy that runs it is named Rusty, and he has a pre-order open now for $86 for the whole set. If anyone gets their hands on them and tries them, let us know if they are worth the hype!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Oozak.com has them for 86.43 on pre-order for the set, coming in during March. Rusty has great customer service and his prices usually can't be beat. I've ordered mine, good luck resisting them. I also do Copics too, but these look too good not to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Oozak.com has them for 86.43 on pre-order for the set, coming in during March. Rusty has great customer service and his prices usually can't be beat. I've ordered mine, good luck resisting them. I also do Copics too, but these look too good not to try.
I agree Oozak has great prices and customer service!!

I am not resisting the Distress markers I am just waiting to see how much different they are from my Tombows or Memento markers . I don't shade well with water based markers. I do much better with Copics for coloring and I apply a marker to the rubber stamp with my Tombows or Mementos .

If these are really very different from other water based markers I will consider them. I like the Distressed pads and reinkers for water coloring , but I don't need markers to do that.

I am sure soon people will start posting pictures and comments on them .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Besides Copics, when it comes to water based markers I have Tombows, and CTMH's markers.

I agree for shading, nothing beats Copics. However, after seeing Tim's video, these seem to respond differently when coloring on a stamp. You don't have to rush to keep the ink wet, just a huff of breath is moist enough to activate the ink. And, they don't respond and muddy like other water based markers do, you can mix the colors and they hold their true color. After stamping, you can go in with a water brush and blend and again the colors stay true and don't fade out. It sounds like they work on the same principle of the Distress Ink Pads.

They also have the brush end that's flexible and a hard nylon tip that won't fray when writing or journaling. It's a real fine point, so if you ink edges, you could go in with a marker and do detail work in a matching or coordinating color. And, of course with matching markers, you can always accent your background papers to match what you colored or distressed on your main/central object. Anyway, the video looked pretty cool, and as you can tell, I was sold to try them...... I who have too many art supplies as it is!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Besides Copics, when it comes to water based markers I have Tombows, and CTMH's markers.

I agree for shading, nothing beats Copics. However, after seeing Tim's video, these seem to respond differently when coloring on a stamp. You don't have to rush to keep the ink wet, just a huff of breath is moist enough to activate the ink. And, they don't respond and muddy like other water based markers do, you can mix the colors and they hold their true color. After stamping, you can go in with a water brush and blend and again the colors stay true and don't fade out. It sounds like they work on the same principle of the Distress Ink Pads.

They also have the brush end that's flexible and a hard nylon tip that won't fray when writing or journaling. It's a real fine point, so if you ink edges, you could go in with a marker and do detail work in a matching or coordinating color. And, of course with matching markers, you can always accent your background papers to match what you colored or distressed on your main/central object. Anyway, the video looked pretty cool, and as you can tell, I was sold to try them...... I who have too many art supplies as it is!!!!!!
My SU demo taught me to huff on the stamp to reactive the ink after I used a SU marker . My Tombows have a brush tip that is very flexible on one end and a fine point hard writing tip on the other end. My storage space is " very" limited so I need to be sure I don't buy anything that I have a similar product. I think the storage space issue keeps me in check with buying things LOL
As I said if they turn out to be very different I will consider buying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. BView Post
OOZAK has a fab preorder price and free US shipping! I ordered mine today - will prob be in within the week... they have GREAT service, too! No... I don't work for them
I totally agree, I placed my order with Oozak last night too. I can't wait to play with them. I only have Copic markers, so i'm excited to get the Distress Markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Question how blendable are they?

I wonder how the distress markers would behave on regular matte card stock or watercolor paper using a waterbrush to blend them? In Tim Holtz's demo, he is using the special coated Inkssentials Stamping Paper and, while using a waterbrush, they blend together very well. But I suppose on that special paper, just about any water based marker would blend well? I am getting curious-er and curious-er! LOL Just trying to get myself curious enough to pre-order ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #52  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Okay - I was on the fence about these markers because I have MANY different kinds of markers already LOL as probably most of you do, too. BUT from reading this thread I decided that they may be too awesome to pass on, so I just pre-ordered from Oozak - thx for sharing that info. Great price and free shipping There are two demo videos on YouTube from t!m with these markers and I do really love all of the distress products ::sigh::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #53  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Can anyone tell me what paper is like Inkssentials Stamping Paper? I've been playing with my new distress markers on different paper and so far I'm getting good results. I can get them to bleed a little but not like expected. I'm thinking it has to be the special coating inthe paper and just maybe I have something that is close.

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #54  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Can anyone tell me what paper is like Inkssentials Stamping Paper? I've been playing with my new distress markers on different paper and so far I'm getting good results. I can get them to bleed a little but not like expected. I'm thinking it has to be the special coating inthe paper and just maybe I have something that is close.

TIA
Hi. I don't believe the Inkssentials specialty paper has a SPECIAL coating. It's just a coated paper which means that the ink does not get absorbed into the paper - the ink sits on the paper's surface and that's why the ink blends well on coated paper vs. non-coated paper. Glossy paper is coated and Judikins sells paper called mattecote (sp?) which is matte paper that is coated. My theory is that you'd get good ink blending results on any coated paper, not just on the Inkssentials specialty paper. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi. I don't believe the Inkssentials specialty paper has a SPECIAL coating. It's just a coated paper which means that the ink does not get absorbed into the paper - the ink sits on the paper's surface and that's why the ink blends well on coated paper vs. non-coated paper. Glossy paper is coated and Judikins sells paper called mattecote (sp?) which is matte paper that is coated. My theory is that you'd get good ink blending results on any coated paper, not just on the Inkssentials specialty paper. HTH.
Thanks for the info - I tried the markers on glossy paper and the distress ink soaked into paper. I have some other coated papers - going to give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

does anyone know if you can re-fill these markers with the re-fill ink for the ink pads?

LT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little69View Post
does anyone know if you can re-fill these markers with the re-fill ink for the ink pads?

LT

They are not refillable. The reinkers are not compatible. Wendy Vecchi addressed that here: Studio 490: 2 on Tuesday...giveaways that is!

She has some great projects with the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
They are not refillable. The reinkers are not compatible. Wendy Vecchi addressed that here: Studio 490: 2 on Tuesday...giveaways that is!

She has some great projects with the markers.
Where are the pictures of projects with the new markers? When I click on any of the pictures on the side bar is says "Page for Studio 490 doesn't exist"
Also those pictures don't appear to be done with the new markers some are too old for that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Where are the pictures of projects with the new markers? When I click on any of the pictures on the side bar is says "Page for Studio 490 doesn't exist"
Also those pictures don't appear to be done with the new markers some are too old for that
Just click on the February posts. She references the Distress Markers and/or shows them in use on most of the (13) posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Vic I found it!
She has one project using the new markers. The fish. The others are projects using various Ranger products either in the books or kits she sells.

She has a "Ranger Senior Educator" logo in her side bar so it is understandable she is promoting all of their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Thanks Vic I found it!
She has one project using the new markers. The fish. The others are projects using various Ranger products either in the books or kits she sells.

She has a "Ranger Senior Educator" logo in her side bar so it is understandable she is promoting all of their products.

I think there's more than one. I follow her on Twitter and read every update on her blog. She's not only a Ranger CI. I've got a huge collection of her stamps, art parts & clearly for art. Her books are very inspirational. I'm a fan - can you tell? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Vic That is what makes this hobby versatile. There is something for everyone. You are a fan of hers and I am a fan of Becca Feeken Completely different styles

I looked again and there are two projects with the new markers. The woman in the dress is colored with the new markers. She said it was easy to color the dress in two color with the new markers.

I am hoping to see how the "white marker" is working. If anyone has it will it blend with the re-inkers ?
Pastel re-inker colors for water coloring would be nice.
I think there is another white one too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Please forgive low level pics but just wanted to say I made some progress.

Paper - best results with SU glossy white, SU shimmery white, other good quality glossy whites. When I tried it before I used a mix of lower quality glossy whites and the ink soaked into the paper.

Ink: heat set Stazon

Technique: color with marker direct to paper - 2 coats worked best for brighest color; color next color and blend with aqua brush or a lighter color marker. It's just like Tim's video. I find that if I use the same method as coloring with Copics I get a better blend (use lighter marker to blend into darker colors using a flicking motion). With the aqua blender I tend to get some pooling.

In the butterfly pic the colors were too dark - I spritzed with water and blotted with a paper towel and the colors are much brighter.

In the blue flowers I marked the 3 stages - color with light, edge with darker, and then blend with water.

It's all about the paper. On regular cardstock they are just like regular water based markers only the colors are kind of dull.

HTH - off to play some more :razz:
Attached Thumbnails
Distress MARKERS-distress-marker-samples-006.jpg   Distress MARKERS-distress-marker-samples-004.jpg   Distress MARKERS-distress-marker-samples-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #64  

stamphappy1650 - glad you're having better luck - now I'm glad (again) that I ordered them. thx for sharing the results of your experimentation - very helpful !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #65  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little69View Post

LT
Hi. I just emailed t!m - maybe we could reink with the distress stains? I don't know how he does it, but he has always responded when I sent him an email. I'll post here any response that I get.

WOW - already got an answer LOL....cannot refill/reink distress markers, period.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 02-26-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Is this the paper Tim used with the new markers ?

*Ranger Inkssentials GLOSS PAPER 8.5 X 11 White Glossy

If so this stuff is really expensive! 10 sheets for $6 plus shipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #67  
Hardware Hotshot

I found the paper Tim used. It is more expensive than the other paper

*Ranger Inkssentials 8.5 x 11 SPECIALTY STAMPING PAPER ISP32908

The ranger site said there are 10 sheets in a pack. That makes each sheet 80� each plus shipping cost

It also comes in ATC size for $4.99 and you get 20 ATC size pieces.

The way I mess up stamped images I could not afford to use this paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

The ranger site said there are 10 sheets in a pack. That makes each sheet 80� each plus shipping cost

It also comes in ATC size for $4.99 and you get 20 ATC size pieces.

The way I mess up stamped images I could not afford to use this paper[/QUOTE]

I got some of the Stamping Paper with my markers - haven't used it yet. I think some of the paper that people use for Copics is expense, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #69  
Forum Fanatic

I looked at the price and said no way. I know I'll buy one pack to see if it is to die for and is yes, I'll use it for special cards (i.e. I'll hoard it!).

Yep, the paper I use for copics is expensive but not as much as the new Ranger paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

If these markers become hot items someone will figure out a cheaper paper to use

I use Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover for my Copics. It works great
250 sheets for $10
I order a box of regular copy paper and a couple of other things with it to get the order to $50 and got free shipping on all of it .

HammerMill� Color Copy Digital Cover Paper, 8 1/2" x 11"br / | Staples�

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-26-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Oops! My package says 80 lb. That one at Staples says 60 lb.
Same name but my item number on the package is 120023

Here is the one I bought

Hammermill Color Copy Paper 8 12 x 11 80 Lb 100 US114 Euro Brightness Pack Of 250 Sheets by Office Depot

Has anyone tried Gina K's 120 LB Pure Luxury CS with the new Tim Holtz markers?
That CS is thick and very slick

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-26-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is why I love this site!! I didn't realize that you needed coated paper for best results. I have coated paper and am not a huge fan. so I think I will get a few individual markers and play before investing in these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #73  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I am starting to have second thoughts, too. I started a thread requesting people who own the markers give us a review and evaluation of the markers. So far I think very few people actually have them, and the people who do have the markers haven't had time to play yet.

I was ready to jump on the band wagon and pre-order Distress markers and now I am starting to be very happy I waited. I would like to hear from someone who doesn't work for Ranger to tell us what they think of these markers. I am in the market for some good quality watercolor markers, and I have it narrowed down to Tombows and Distress markers. Everyone seems to love their Tombows. I wonder if they will feel the same about Distress? I don't want to buy another special paper for markers, so Distress already have one strike against them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was reading the comments suggesting that Distress Markers may require a specialty or coated paper, and suspected that Tim Holtz would not develop them with that kind of limitation, and also I had never heard him mention this in his videos.

So I wrote to Tim and got a very quick reply which I told him I'd share with here, and you'll be glad to know it confirmed my hunch:

hi nancy -

you're absolutely right, i never said you must use a coated cardstock as these markers are great on both types of cardstocks, you just get a different look.

i like certain techniques with the specialty stamping paper with the markers, just as i like watercolor paper for certain techniques with the markers.

it's pretty much like all products, they can work on multiple surfaces you just get various effects. thanks!

tim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

That's good to know. Thanks for checking on the paper, Nancy. I can't wait to hear some real life reviews!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Here's a review with samples: In Depth | Tim Holtz Distress Markers

And Wendy Vecchi has a project/review: Studio 490
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! I hope my lss will have them. She is a big supporter of Tim Holz products.

Ter ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ohhh pain when I read dorism6220's info about getting markers for 80. Ug. I did order mine from Scrapyland for 99 which is still less than anywhere else I saw let alone find. I love the distress colors better than anything out there. Their inks stay nice for a long long time. In fact I haven't replaced or used the refills yet and its been well over 4 years for some. My SU ink pad colors (which I bought about the same time as the distress) have not stayed good and I am disappointed with them for what they cost me. I love their colors, but especially the pale colors just don't stamp out nice-never have. Got off on a tangent here....anyway, I love the Distress Inks so I think the pens will only enhance what I work with the most.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 03-03-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been reading this thread with great interest.

I don't plan on getting the Distress markers--at least not now. They just aren't me. I don't buy stamps that need to be colored in two or more shades and I don't do well with "messy". (When I say messy, I mean watercolor, Glimmer Mist, stuff I need to spritz with a water bottle, etc.) Also, water-based markers and I do not do well together, either. I guess the reason that I love my Copics is because I'm a lazy crafter.

That said, it is interesting to learn about new products, their uses, their quirks and the thought process people go through before deciding to buy. It's gals like you who will take these markers to the highest level and use them for some special "must-do" project that will virtually twist my arm to get me to buy them. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Made a short visit to my LSS yesterday. They a few of the Tim Distress Markers left and waiting on the next big shipment. Soooooo...I tried out a few colors to see if I wanted to jump on the band wagon and get them. This is what I found out...the colors don't match the cap. Sooooooo....I was allowed to test each color that they had. I wanted some "Spring" colors so I ended up getting 5 to begin with...
Shabby Shutters, Tea Dye, Milled Lavender, Mustard Seed and Tumbled Glass. I will see how doing some flowers will pan out. Test 'em before you get 'em is what I say! I have all of the Distress Inks so it's not like I don't have the other colors. Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes