Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2023, 06:10 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Difference between Clear mount and Cling mount

Hi! I haven’t purchased anything in a very long time, so I missed the change from wood mount to clear mount/cling mount . What is the difference between clear and cling? I understand photopolymer is totally see through! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Clear is photopolymer or any type of stamp you can see through. Cling is basically a wood mounted stamp without wood. It will have the foam attached and will cling to an acrylic block..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 06:27 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Clear is photopolymer or any type of stamp you can see through. Cling is basically a wood mounted stamp without wood. It will have the foam attached and will cling to an acrylic block..
Thank you! I suppose not all clear stamps are photopolymer, even though both are see through. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Some clear might be a cheaper material. We have seen a number of reports of those "melting"/fusing over time to the backing material. Like acrylic clear stamps. Which is why some companies make it known they use the good photopolymer.

Also there is a concern about the backing material stamps come on and if they cause damage to stamps over time. I believe we want duralar. (someone correct me if I am wrong) Some companies use it and some don't. You have to ask them. People may buy it and transfer to it or put them on the binder pages for cling storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
bzzzeee (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

SU renamed their cling mounts as clear mounts when they changed the adhesive labels. Now very sticky on both sides, some people have problems getting their stamps off the clear blocks. Personally I do not attach the new labels to my stamps, so they remain (LOL) cling mounts! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for this very helpful info, Margot! Just about all of my stamps are SU wood mount red rubber, with a few that are red rubber but not on wood mounts. I guess those are called cling mount since they’re not see through. I would like to buy a photopolymer set and I think the SU stamps should be quality material. In the past I was gifted a Hero Arts photopolymer set and those have held up well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Some clear might be a cheaper material. We have seen a number of reports of those "melting"/fusing over time to the backing material. Like acrylic clear stamps. Which is why some companies make it known they use the good photopolymer.

Also there is a concern about the backing material stamps come on and if they cause damage to stamps over time. I believe we want duralar. (someone correct me if I am wrong) Some companies use it and some don't. You have to ask them. People may buy it and transfer to it or put them on the binder pages for cling storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 07:22 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for this info! So when I see SU clear mounts those are not photopolymer (see through) correct?! I do recall reading in the forums something about not attaching the labels. I wonder why SU calls them clear mounts…maybe because they go on the clear blocks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
SU renamed their cling mounts as clear mounts when they changed the adhesive labels. Now very sticky on both sides, some people have problems getting their stamps off the clear blocks. Personally I do not attach the new labels to my stamps, so they remain (LOL) cling mounts! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2023, 07:46 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Correct, the SU boxes are marked with either a C (for cling mount rubber) or a P (for photopolymer).

I sure miss the wood mounted rubber stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2023, 02:19 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Thank you for the clarification!
I’m also a fan of wood mounted rubber stamps! For me, it’s so much easier to just grab a stamp out of the box and make a card without the added steps involved with unmounted stamps. I get better results with my old school Stamp-a-ma-jig than my stamping platform when I want to stamp perfect images. I do like the benefit of the photopolymer at times, but usually wood mount suits my purpose with a lot less fuss!

Quote:

Correct, the SU boxes are marked with either a C (for cling mount rubber) or a P (for photopolymer).

I sure miss the wood mounted rubber stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2023, 05:20 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

oh wow - I forgot all about my stamp-a-ma-jig. I have a stamp platform, but also have tons of rubber stamps on wood from over 20 years ago...

Thanks !!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 05:40 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

You’re welcome! We have so many beloved wood mounts, right?! It seems a lot of the images from years ago are resurrected with a slight change in size or a new sentiment. There are several in the current SU catalog that are so similar to sets I bought years ago. I love seeing the fresh new samples and those are great inspiration with new colors and techniques! I hope you enjoy using your SAMJ again!

QUOTE=mac4551;22229646]oh wow - I forgot all about my stamp-a-ma-jig. I have a stamp platform, but also have tons of rubber stamps on wood from over 20 years ago...

Thanks !![/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:46 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL, I never stopped using my SAMJ - it requires so much less storage (and use) space than these newfangled platforms. I bought extra SAMJ positioning sheets while they were still available.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-06-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:39 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

LOL, I never stopped using my SAMJ - it requires so much less storage (and use) space than these newfangled platforms. I bought extra SAMJ positioning sheets while they were still available.
You can also use acetate (from packaging or window sheets) as positioning sheets with the SAMJ 😊
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by PikkuLilla:
bzzzeee (02-15-2023), gaylestamps (02-15-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Sorry for the repeat up there. whoops.

Some companies still are doing wood mounts....Northwoods, Penny Black...but a lot of people for storage space have been un-mounting them and using tack it over and over on acrylic blocks. But for hard core wood people-there is still quite a bit out there. Esp on Ebay and Etsy.

I have some wood mount to sell so I take heart that people are still interested. I will list those down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-26-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Stampin Up eliminated using wood blocks for mounting their rubber stamps some time ago. I'm sure it was because of customer demand. Wood blocks take up a LOT of space. At that time, they made available red rubber stamps on cling-type mounting foam. You could use these on a clear acrylic block and stamp just like a wood-block stamp.

"Clear mount" is the OLD way that Stampin Up referred to their rubber stamps with cling foam on the back. They offered stickers to go on the back of the cling foam so that you can see where the design is...if you can get them lined up perfectly with the rubber. I never used the stickers. The name "Clear Mount Rubber stamps" was because the rubber stamp (which you cannot see through) was used on a clear mounting block. I remember having to explain over and over and over again to customers what "Clear Mount" was. Sheesh!

About four years ago (2019) the "Clear Mount" name went away because it caused so much confusion as to what they were talking about. At that time, they started using the terminology of "Cling Stamps", as much of the rest of the industry was doing. They are still rubber backed with cling foam, and are used by placing on a clear acrylic block or in a stamp positioning tool. They still offer stickers for placing on the cling foam.

"Clear stamps" is a generic term applied to any stamp that is transparent. It is better to refer to them by their proper type of material: Photopolymer or Acrylic or a couple of other names that I have forgotten by now. I only use Photopolymer. These clear stamps are used with an acrylic block or stamp positioning tool like the Cling stamps are used. However, you can see through them for much better placement.

I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Diane,
Thank you kindly for your wonderful explanation! I did find the clear mount name confusing since I hadn’t done much shopping for new products during all these changes. I have some catching up to do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Stampin Up eliminated using wood blocks for mounting their rubber stamps some time ago. I'm sure it was because of customer demand. Wood blocks take up a LOT of space. At that time, they made available red rubber stamps on cling-type mounting foam. You could use these on a clear acrylic block and stamp just like a wood-block stamp.

"Clear mount" is the OLD way that Stampin Up referred to their rubber stamps with cling foam on the back. They offered stickers to go on the back of the cling foam so that you can see where the design is...if you can get them lined up perfectly with the rubber. I never used the stickers. The name "Clear Mount Rubber stamps" was because the rubber stamp (which you cannot see through) was used on a clear mounting block. I remember having to explain over and over and over again to customers what "Clear Mount" was. Sheesh!

About four years ago (2019) the "Clear Mount" name went away because it caused so much confusion as to what they were talking about. At that time, they started using the terminology of "Cling Stamps", as much of the rest of the industry was doing. They are still rubber backed with cling foam, and are used by placing on a clear acrylic block or in a stamp positioning tool. They still offer stickers for placing on the cling foam.

"Clear stamps" is a generic term applied to any stamp that is transparent. It is better to refer to them by their proper type of material: Photopolymer or Acrylic or a couple of other names that I have forgotten by now. I only use Photopolymer. These clear stamps are used with an acrylic block or stamp positioning tool like the Cling stamps are used. However, you can see through them for much better placement.
Reply With Quote Likes