Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default die cut machine

I would like to buy a die cut machine and I need your help.
I would like one I could use with various dies (Sizzix, Quickutz...).
I am mostly interested in card making.:rolleyes:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the quikkutz machine it is pretty easy, you put in the die which is held in by magnets put in your paper and queeze. It is so easy to store. I use mine for scrapbooking and card making. Check out this website it is were I buy all my quikkutzs from...
http://scrapbookexpress.com/

Hope you find the one you like!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I have the Sizzix die cut machine and absolutely love it. I use it for both stamping and scrapbooking. Currently I have 72 dies which I count one alphabet as one die. I use it also for kids crafts which they really love. When deciding you really need to look at the dies that are available for each machine and gear your choice by that. I liked the sizzix because there are lots and lots to choose from and more coming out weekly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I am getting the Sizzix for my birthday. Can't wait especially since I just got my catalog in the mail 2 days ago. You can go to Sizzix.com and sign up for their email list (coupons) and for a free catalog. You can also check out their differant die cuts.

I also think I read somewhere (possibly on Splitcoast) that you can use the Quikkutz dies on the Sizzix die cutter but you need an adapter.

Laura J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

That is what I would like : being able to use Quickutz dies with Sizzix.
On Sizzix.com, it is said tat you can't.
At the same time, they sell an adaptor and say you can do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

A convert of both sizzix and QK here! I do have the original (not sidekick) red sizzix machine and the original blue handle for the QK.

Frankly, these days although I buy many, many more QK dies than sizzix (although I do use alot of them too) I rarely use my blue handle. Strictly speaking I use it to adhere and pop the foam the first time I use a new QK die.

These days I use my original red sizzix machine first, for regular sizzix dies (green, yellow, red and blue ones). Secondly, I use the same machine with the magnetic convertor for my sizzlets. Finally I use the same machine with the magnetic convertor AND the new sizzix black adaptor wafer to cut out my QK dies! Great for making tags/cards.

I know the black sizzix wafer adaptors usually come in a pack of 10. They last quite a long time (still using my first one after several months and cutting diecuts about daily!). I prefer to cut QK this way, because I can do multiple cuts without killing my hand or arm with the blue QK handles.

You will love the smaller dies QK offers in cardmaking. I am attaching a photo of cards I made with them. Now you have to remember I am a scrapbooker first, and just learning how to stamp. LOL....IF I attached the correct picture these are cards from a Christmas Card swap I was in last year. As you can see I relied on diecuts and paper tearing onto tags for my cards.
Attached Thumbnails
die cut machine-christmas-card-swap.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Oops! That was the wrong card photo. That one of Santa is a paper piecing tag I did. You will see QK dies in this photo.

On both the blue tag (snow) and the Poinsetta tag, I used QK Tall Nameplate Die. On the poinsetta card, I used the QK Poinsetta, and on the popcorn card (I cased from some magazine) you see my limited stamping ability last year to only emboss the letters "popping" and the Popcorn is a QK die too.

Now those tags are cut with a sizzix.
Attached Thumbnails
die cut machine-crop-room-xmas-card-swap.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Final post! LOL....

Okay the blue snowflake card is a removable tag and the top blends with the card background. It says, " Let it Snow" with a metal MERRY CHRISTMAS on it. The Popcorn card says, " Popping by to say" and a metal MERRY CHRISTMAS bar. Finally, the last card says, "Wishing you joy beyond measure" and the metal bar MERRY CHRISTMAS. This is the hardest one to tell it is a removable tag, because that lace paper is also the tag topper and the tag background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Die Cut Machines

I have the Sizzix and the Sizzix Sidekick and the Quickuts. I have to say I have just about every die that Ellison makes for the Sizzix, including Sizzlets and Embossing Folders. I love it! I have a few of the Quickcuts dies that can also be used in the Sizzix and Sidekick. The Sizzix Sizzlets cannot be used in the Quickuts. I find the Quickuts very hard to press and practically never use it. The Sizzix machines do the work for you and are easy to operate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I just read the rest of the replies here and it reminded me that with the Sizzix you have the option of using all the Quickutz and all the Sizzix dies and embossing folders. Keep in mind that Quickutz offers only one size of die and Sizzix offers three sizes of steel-ruled dies, plus the sizzlets, plus the border sizzlets, plus the embossing folders. I should get a job with Ellison!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2005, 04:23 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Many thanks for your answers.
Congratulations for the nice cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Thank you from me as well. I don't know if I can wait 30 more days for mine. I am not a very patient person. I think I will just go soak my sorrows in some Chick-Fil-A. Have a great evening everyone!

Laura J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a sizzix & I really like it BUT I make alot of cards & some of the dies seem kind of big for what I like to do. A few months ago I was watching a paper crafting show & they had a new machince on there that I had never seen or heard of before. It is called the Wizard Embossing & Die Cutting System. I told my husband about it & we started looking for it online. Once I seen it & what it could do it was a must have!!! The detail is soooo fantastic!!! The embossing & cutting dies have two functions they can cut the shape & if you want they can emboss beautiful detail into the shape. The best part is you can use this system w/ spellbinders embossing & cutting dies, brass stencils, Sizzix & other steel rule dies, Sizzlets & other low profile dies, QuickKutz & other chemically -etched dies, Fiiskars texture plates & charms. This thing is soooo wonderful & the details are so intricate you would have to see to believe!!! The possibilites are endless!!! So I have to say the Wizzard gets my vote & if you are going to be making alot of cards it is great for that since the size of the die cuts are just right for cards.
Heidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a Zipemate and love it because it has a crank handle. I have used Sizzix dies with the adapter platform, quikcuts dies with the regular platform and of course the Zipecut or Accucut dies. It's easy and works great. Still trying to figure out how to get it to emboss regular stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Sizzix (big read one) and Sidekick (smaller, portable one for the Sizzlet dies). I haven't really used the Sidekick much, but I think I will more as I get more Sizzlet dies. I only bought it because I got a great deal on it and I thought there would be times when I would like something portable. The Sizzix comes in hand for lots of school projects for my kids and also scrapbooking. I don't use it much for cards since most of the die cuts are a little big for that.

I have lots of Sizzix dies and keep adding to my collection, usually with the Michaels & Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons that come out. I don't think I've ever paid full price for any die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #16  
The Queen of Blue

I have a sizzix die cut machine and hoping to get the sidekick for Christmas. (anyone want to call my DH and remind him? LOL). I love the sizzix. I currently have over 125 dies, counting my alpha set as one die. I go in spurts using it. Seems like I don't use it for awhile and then use it constantly for several weeks again. I had actually looked into purchasing the big Ellison die cut machine, but decided not to let go of that much money at the moment. I do receive the Ellison catalog with all of the dies for sizzix and the Ellison large machine and I absolutely drool over the catty. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Here is a link you may be interested in :

http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Tech...e_Cuts/713.php

It describes the pros and cons of each tool.
Sorry if it goes againt the rules of the forum.
If so, please, feel free to suppress that message.
Many thanks again for your messages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I was told by an employee at Hobby Lobby near me that they will not be carrying Sizzix products anymore. What they have is it. They are going to be carrying a differant product (supposedly less expensive) but she couldn't remember the name. They were told 6 months ago to expect it at any time but as of yesterday still haven't seen it.

Sizzix.com has several great coupons right now--50% off the most expensive item, 40% of everything, 40 or 50% (?) off Simple Impressions. Just click on their specials to get the coupon codes for ordering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 04:37 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanou
Here is a link you may be interested in :

http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Tech...e_Cuts/713.php

It describes the pros and cons of each tool.
Sorry if it goes againt the rules of the forum.
If so, please, feel free to suppress that message.
Many thanks again for your messages.

Thanks for that link it is very informative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Your are very welcome;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Thanks ladies

I finally got the big Sizzix machine with converter and adaptors and some dies (Sizzix and Quickutz).
I really like it. I want to thank you all for the pieces of advice you gave me.
I really appreciated as they were really helpful.
Happy New Year.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Hobby Lobby has their dies 1/2 off in their ad that is out today! I have a gift card that is burning a hole in my pocket!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes