Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 86 Likes on 35 Posts
Default defective Xyron 2" refills!

Augh! I stocked up on these some time back when they were 75% after my Hobby Lobby discontinued them, and grew somewhat attached them -- enough so to purchase refills at Michaels with a coupon as needed. I do not have a dedicated scrap space and storage is a big concern, so no ATG for me. So out of the last 5, 3 have been defective (maybe this is why Hobby Lobby discontinued them...). They were purchased at different stores, too. I am going to go in and try to exchange the 2 I have (already had this problem before and exchanged it for a different one), as I still have the boxes although no receipt.

They seem to be wound wrong (sticky on inside) and when I try to turn the wheel, more non-sticky tape scrolls out. Has anyone had this problem? I have used literally 20+ of these and cannot figure out what's wrong. It seems unlikely to be user error, in that I can slide in a refill cartridge with the best of them, and I am mystified.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that I need to find a new adhesive! But if anyone can tell me how to fix the ones I have, or what happened, I would be very appreciative.

Cynthia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xyron

Well, rats! I wanted to get the 2.5 inch one with my next coupon! I have the X and the 5" one - no problems here!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You might try contacting Xyron themselves. I know they had trouble with these a while back. Hopefully they can help you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I had a similar problem with the 5" ones last year, Micheal's exchanged them with no receipt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Great idea to contact Xyron. And I certainly appreciate that there can be problems. I was very accepting of the issue with the first one and trooped back to exchange it. But now that I am up to a total of three defective ones, I feel less accepting, esp bc (you guys will feel my pain) I am out of regular adhesive!!!

Note that I say "regular adhesive" (i.e., my runner) bc obviously, I have a giant collection of various kinds of adhesives for different purposes. But no tape runners here!!! I feel myself beginning to hyperventilate!!!!

I'll post when I hear back from Xyron. In the meantime, I can't recommend the 2" runner, even though I used to love it. At the very least, if one assumes the defective ones were from the same batch, I would not commit to the 2" runner now if you live in the Chicago area, bc I have had terrible luck.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cynthia.....Which Xyrons are you talking about? I've never seen a 2 inch one. Are you talking about the Cheetah? That's the only 2 inch Xyron I've ever seen with that manufacturer.

I have the 1 inch X one, 2.5 inch, 5 inch (there is a newer one out for this now), and the 900. All work fine for me.

I do also have the 2 and 4 inch Cheetah ones, but don't like them. I find them very difficult to hold and feel they don't stick as well. Just want to use them up and trash holder. Might as well use the sticky up instead of waste it.

I would also contact the company rather than returning to the store after you have found several defective.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=pjw2855;13472968]Cynthia.....Which Xyrons are you talking about? I've never seen a 2 inch one. Are you talking about the Cheetah? . . . . I do also have the 2 and 4 inch Cheetah ones, but don't like them. I find them very difficult to hold and feel they don't stick as well./QUOTE]

Patti, yes, it is the Cheetah. I didn't call it that as the box for the refills just says 2" refill, not Cheetah. I did email them last night. Three bad ones is just not good. But it goes to show, everyone likes something different! For me, it sticks really well, yet gives me some time to move things around if I need to (these days, however, that's if I can get one that works). I use(d) the permanent one.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cynthia,
There was a bad batch (not sure how many were affected), but they landed all over the place. I hope they get you all fixed up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Contac Xyron. WHen I called them about mine for the 510. They ask me for the numbers on the side. WHen I read them off, they knew they defective and sent me all new ones free of charge.
I just threw the old ones away.
Hope that helps.
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the great info, as always. I emailed them yesterday, and hope to hear back soon. It's kind of demoralizing to exchange one that's defective and then grab another one, and have both of those be bad. But at least it's not me. Of course, regardless of what happens, I think I will venture out and check out some other options. Time to surf the forums over the weekend for adhesive recommendations....

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Update-- I heard back from Xyron customer service. They are taking care of me, and I'm very pleased with the responsiveness.

They did say, however, to be sure to remove the tape at the bottom of the refill before using it. I assume that's the problem with the batch that doesn't work (a new step needed before using the refill that people aren't doing bc nothing says to do it and it wasn't necessary before).

So to anyone with the cheetah 2" runner refills-- look for what was described as tape on the bottom of the refill, and remove it!

I hope this is it, as I do like these runners.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Cynthia,
There was a bad batch (not sure how many were affected), but they landed all over the place. I hope they get you all fixed up!
Duh! I wish I had known about this a few months ago when I bought 2 refills at Hobby Lobby for 50% off and they were BOTH duds. I figured it was simply operating error. Grrrrrr....lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for this post! I haven't used my Cheetah for a while and had an older refill cartridge that I just tried to use and ran into the same problem as you! I emailed xyron (they were very prompt) and they said they could send me a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I'll be interested to see if some of them have this mystery tape at the bottom that we are supposed to remove and some don't. I.e., are there two kinds of refills? (1) ones with tape that needs to be removed to make them work; and (2) ones that we just pop in per usual.

If so, I will continue to use this product, armed with the knowledge that I simply need to check to see if tape needs to be removed from the bottom before using the refill for the first time. If not, well, I will be in the market for a new runner.....

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes