Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug vs. Big Shot vs. Cricut

I've tried going through the myriad of posts for the Cuttlebug, Big Shot and Cricut, and cannot really see anything there that would answer my question. I am thinking about getting a Cuttlebug. I've never touched one of these machines, but I like what I've been seeing on a lot of the pics.

My question is: For those of you who have used these machines before, which machine would you buy for yourself and why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough to compare those three because the first two are different than the last one. Like apples and oranges.

The first two, CB/BS, cost about $40-50 with a coupon and you can use any die/embossing folder/embossing plate on the market. They will cut and/or emboss in only one size (the size of the die or embossing folder/plate).

The Cricut costs $150-$350, depending upon the model. It does not use dies, but you can make cuts in a variety of sizes. You can buy cartridges with images to cut and/or you can buy third-party software to design your own images and use the fonts on your computer. The Cricut cannot use the embossing folders/plates.

In my opinion, you "need" something like a Cuttlebug/Big Shot/Big Kick/Wizard/etc. in your craftroom to use with embossing folders/plates and Nesties. If you use one of those machines only for embossing & Nesties, I feel it's worth the investment. If you use it to cut shapes & letters and anything else, that's gravy.

The Cricut will allow you to cut a lot of different shapes in a variety of sizes. Even if you bought every cartridge, the storage space for all those images is a fraction of what it would take to store that many dies (and you only get to cut in one size with each die).

I know I'm not helping you choose between the three. Sorry! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

It's definitely difficult to choose one over the other, especially with the Cricut vs. Cuttlebug. I have both and I still use them equally.

Really it depends on what kind of projects you're doing. The Cricut is great for scrapbooking (especially the Expression) whereas the Cuttlebug/Bigshot are great for cards/embossing folders.

If anything you could always start out with the smaller purchase of the 3 and graduate upward if you find you need more flexibility/features.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I thought theothermeg was right on target! Cricut only cuts in various sizes - no embossing at all. CB/BS cut in the size of the single die and can emboss folders/shapes/nesties, etc.

Last edited by scherry; 01-28-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Added more ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah I am no longer a polyshrink goddess - sorry I hated that title - insane embellisher I can handle...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Default Cuttlebug vs. Big Shot vs. Cricut

Hi! First of all I would say that the cricut is in a class all by itself! (i'm actually waiting to receive my cricut create next week!) The cuttlebug vs. the big shot well I have both. They are both great tools to have but the big shot is the way to go. It will do everything that the cuttlebug does and then some. If I'm not mistaken I also belive that it will cut more materials then the cuttlebug does. The big shot will also handle the bigger dies because it has a 6 inch base. Since having the big shot I seldom use the cuttlebug anymore. I hope this has helped you with your decision. Good luck and enjoy whatever one you decide to get!

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Default cuttlebug wins in my book.

I have both the personal cricut and the cuttlebug. I like them both but wouldn't trade my cuttlebug for anything plus the cricut doesn't emboss and the cuttlebug does. :-D

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the BUG...and I wouldn't trade it for anything!! the embossing is terrific, and it can handle other company's dies as well!! Love My Bug!!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm embarrassed to say that I have the Big Shot, the cricut expression and a Silhouette.

I am mostly a scrapper now and I love my big shot the most. If you plan on making titles for scrapbooking, then get a machine like the Silhouette or the Cricut with software like Sure Cuts a Lot so you can cut true type fonts on your computer.

If you're a cardmaker, then I highly recommend the Big Shot. I can cut any die from just about any company with no problems. It's a very sturdy die cutter too. I've had mine for several years and have never had a problem. I love it!

I have a fair number of border dies and alpha dies and I love using the Big Shot.

I do use my cricut and silhouette (I'm just learning that one), but the big shot seems to be easier to whip out a die cut!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes