Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cuttlebug or Big Shot???

Which one should I put on my wish list? 95% of the time I am simply interested in embossing not cutting. Any opinions on which is best for embossing? Thank you in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Personally, I own both and use both...so, it's hard to advise you. You say that mainly embossing is what interests you. Well, if you are thinking about using embossing folders---I use my CB for this purpose pretty exclusively. I could use the BS, but I find the CB is less of a hassle and quicker by far to emboss with--provided I'm using embossing folders. Now...I can also emboss using texture plates, and with these, I must use the BS. Yet this is a bit more work, and I find that I have to be in the right mood to want to take the time to do this...but it's a neat look and I do it---occasionally. I can't use the texture plates in the CB because they are a bit too wide. Now...if we are talking die cutting, I use the CB to cut my nestie shapes and the BS to cut my bigz dies....so again, it's really your preference and what you'll be doing most of that seems to dictate which machine is needed, I guess. To be honest, I love them both, but I probably do use the CB more than the BS. Yet, the BS has more varied uses, IMO, than the CB. Yet, I'm glad I have both machines....good luck with your decision....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

craftyteaspoon.....If you have yet to purchase a die cutting/embossing machine I would recommend either a BIGkick or BigShot. They are only about $10 more than the Cuttlebug and can do much more do to the larger size. I would also suggest purchasing in a store since you can use a coupon and don't have to pay shipping charges.

With the larger size flat surface, they will accomodate any size die or embossing folder or texture plate. The Cuttlebug is smaller and has it's limits and is also not as sturdy a machine in it's construction. The BIGkick and BigShot each come with very easy directions shown directly on the base cutting platform. These instructions are for all the popular dies and embossing folders/texture plates.

The slightly larger size overall of the BIGkick or BigShot is not a big deal and can be stored on it's end if size is really an issue with you.

Yes I own both a BIGkick and Cuttlebug, but only use the BIGkick when not using my Expression.

Again, I strongly recommend purchasing the BIGkick or BigShot.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would recommend the Big Shot. Bite the bullet and get one from a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. Have her give you a one to one class, if she doesn't have a class for her Big Shot buyers. She'll be thrilled and you'll have loads of great ideas and projects to create. And up to date ideas from her through her classes and workshops.

Lots of my customers already had the Cuttlebug before SU came out with the Big Shot; they can use most of the folders and dies now. But the Big Shot is a better machine.

Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow Patti thank you for the great info. Do the big kick and big shot do all the brands of dies? What is the difference between the big kick and the big shot?

Stasi - $$ is a limiter so buying from my demo is not an option. I need to use a coupon or find it on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Another thing to consider is your space available. I have a SUPER small workspace so I like the fact that the CB folds up and I can leave in on my worktable. I think the Big Shot is great but I simply don't have room for it. Also, so far, it has prevented me from buying those expensive Sizzix Bigz XL (the long dies). CB did recently come out with extended plates but I haven't taken that plunge yet. I use the following in my CB with no problem: CB dies, CB embossing folders, Nesties, PaperTrey Ink dies, My Favorite Things Dienamics, Sizzix Bigz, Sizzix Original, Sizzlets, and Sizzix embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I too was on a limited budget and thats why I chose to buy the Cuttlebug. I am very happy with it. If money were no object, I would have bought the Big Shot because it does seem to be sturdier ... but the Cuttlebug is a hard little worker. Not having the Big Shot also makes me not tempted to buy the expensive die cuts (the ones that Carrie above also spoke about). The Cuttlebug does now have the extended plates so that you can use those dies also, but they are a little on the expensive side to buy them. Pretty much the Cuttlebug works with all the dies, embossing folders etc. out there. If money is an object, I say go for the Cuttlebug. It also takes up way less space, another reason that I wanted it, as I dont have a ton of room to work with. Anyway, have fun deciding - whichever you choose, it will be right for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I recommend the Big Shot because you can use other products with it. Also, if you go online to Joann Fabrics you can get it much cheaper than through Stampin Up. Joann's also has coupons where you get free shipping. Hope this helps.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Do the big shot, big kick, and cutlebug cut the same width? The big shot looks like it has a larger max width than the cuttlebug. I can't find any info on their sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can get a Big Kick from the Sizzix web site through today for $39.99. Go to sizzix.com and click on the Essentials Sale Banner. At the end of the third page there is a pink and white Big Kick on sale for $39.99. Or a red and white one for $49.99 on the second page. I love my Big Kick!

Last edited by optotecha; 09-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Needed to add a sentence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

There is nothing better than the Wizard in my book! Look into it, you wouldn't be sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

What is the difference between the big kick and the big shot??? I can't find any info on what's different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
What is the difference between the big kick and the big shot??? I can't find any info on what's different.
No difference except looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

If you go to Joann's site, you can do a machine comparison, it's pretty neat :

Sizzix� BIGkick Die-Cut Machine*: machines*: die cut machines & accessories*: scrapbooking*: Shop | Joann.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Do the big shot, big kick, and cutlebug cut the same width? The big shot looks like it has a larger max width than the cuttlebug. I can't find any info on their sites.
I recall someone once measured. The widths are slightly different between the BS and CB. That is why the BS plates will not go through a CB. The more important question is if you can use dies because that is what determines the cutting, not the machine. The sizzix dies do work in the CB but you have to use CB plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I just checked the Mikes ad for today and these are on sale for 40% off plus there is a coupon for 15% off the entire purchase including sale items. Wonder how much the big shot sells for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccboobooView Post
I recall someone once measured. The widths are slightly different between the BS and CB. That is why the BS plates will not go through a CB. The more important question is if you can use dies because that is what determines the cutting, not the machine. The sizzix dies do work in the CB but you have to use CB plates.
I think you have it in a nutshell. I just wasn't smart enough to get there. I started out with the Cuttlebug which I just love. I see people make comments about it not being as sturdy as the BS, but I'm not really sure what that means. It sure seems to do the job for me! Anyway, when there was a really great deal on the Miss Kitty BS (Sizzix.com) I had to have it. We use it at Stamp Camp, and the plates are bigger than CB's plates. So it seemed like I would be able to cut/emboss bigger things. But it turns out I would have been fine with the BS dies in the CB. It just didn't occur to me to just use the CB plates with the BS dies or embossing folders. Anyway, I tend to use the CB more, probably because that's the machine I started out with. But the BS is certainly a good machine too. I just feel guilty that I started out with the CB and was perfectly happy with that. I didn't need anything else and I wasn't going to be a collector of machines......and now I have the CB, BS, and Cricut. Sigh............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

$$ is a limiter so buying from my demo is not an option. I need to use a coupon or find it on sale.
FYI -- I found the BigKick for only $39.99!! The Sizzix Web site is having a huge sale. I have the BigKick myself (although I paid a lot more for it) and haven't regretted it for one split second. It's a fabulous machine.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just checked the Mikes ad for today and these are on sale for 40% off plus there is a coupon for 15% off the entire purchase including sale items. Wonder how much the big shot sells for?
Typically with a 40% off coupon, you can get the Big Shot or Big Kick from Mike's for around $60 (in my area.) Then take off another 15% of that - it is a really good deal. I would do that. I think you would be happier with a Big Shot/Big Kick than with a Cuttlebug - and they really don't cost THAT much more money than a CB. You get more capabilities, easier to find extended plates and you can use the Texturz Plates as another way to get that textured paper look. The Big Kick/Big Shot are the same except for cosmetic differences. The Big Kick is white and red, the Big Shot is mostly black (though there are some blue versions and pink versions out there). People tend to like the look of the Big Shot better but the machines both do exactly the same thing with exactly the same sandwiches.

The Big Shot/Big Kick will take all STANDARD width dies and embossing folders. They will *not* take the new Grand Calibur Nestabilities in the bigger sizes, and they will not take the Big Shot Pro dies, which are 12" wide. For that you would need to get the Grand Calibur or the Big Shot Pro. But I recommend getting the Big Shot/Big Kick - I think you will be VERY happy with it.

Let us know if you have any questions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for this great info. I plan on getting the Big Shot at some point. Missed the Mikes sale yesterday but with the gift giving season approaching I'm sure there will be more sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you all for this great info. I plan on getting the Big Shot at some point. Missed the Mikes sale yesterday but with the gift giving season approaching I'm sure there will be more sales.
They go on sale frequently at Michaels or Joann - so just keep an eye on the ads It should only be a few weeks before it goes on sale again!

Good luck, I hope you can get one soon. They are a blast to play with. Once it is here, check out the Big Shot FAQ thread.

Big Shot FAQ by militarystampingmom at Splitcoaststampers

It has lists of all the sandwiches you will need for different dies, and tons of answers to other questions. Or, just come here and ask away, one of us will be able to help you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Get a Big Shot, I broke a Cuttlebug in 3 months (sent it in and they never returned it even after 3 phone calls) and I broke a Wizard,(I am freakishly strong I guess) they sent replacement parts but it has never worked the same. I personally didn't like the Wizard much, the cranking and shooting out of the rollers and not seeing where things are because the plates aren't clear are downsides.
The Big Shot has been going strong for over a year and works very well with everything I've ran through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Big Shot is the best....and if you pay the extra and buy it from SU you get a 3 year guarantee. That's definitely something to think about. Bought a Cuttlebug from Michaels and they do not stand behind it at all. The Big Shot is more versatile as it uses all dies and the Cuttlebug does not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I've had a cuttlebug for several years and have used the daylights out of it. I'm seriously considering buying a big shot or big kick. I do stamp camps a few times per year, and my next one is Oct. 9th. I'm afraid my bug will explode in protest and every card we're making uses either an embossing folder or a nestie. C'mon enable me. Should I do it?
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Get one! I went to Joann's today ready to buy and they only had the big kick. I'm set on the big shot. I know they are the same but I want the cool black and pink one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I got the cool black & pink one yesterday! It is a Big Kick, by the way. Got it at AC Moore with a 50% off coupon. Can't wait to play!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I ordered my Big Shot!!! Got it through Amazon for $73. But since I used the free shipping option it wont ship until the 7th! waaaaaa, I want my toy NOW! LOL But I really did not want to pay the $18 shipping to have it a few days earlier. $18 is embossing folders! Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have both and use both. I tend to reach for my Cuttlebug more.

I like the embossing better on the Cuttlebug. I also think Nesties are easier to do in the Cuttlebug. I have my recipes memorized for the Cuttlebug. I think that has a lot to do with my results.

The big con with the Cuttlebug. It never stays sunctioned down. It starts wobbling everywhere.

Big Kick I use for mixed media such as fabrics, heavier materials etc. I also think the texture plates give a better impression than the Cuttlebug. The BK can be used as a faux LetterPress.

I do not like the tab booklet. I read a great tip a few weeks ago to take the screws out. OMG! Why did I wait so long. Makes things easier.

I also have a Red Sizzix. That is my favorite embossing tool. I use it for quick cutting. She weighs a ton so that is her biggest con.

Here's a good comparison review: Indigo Inklings: simple Cuttlebug & Big Shot comparison

Here' a good Cuttlebug Idea list: Mel Stampz: I've been bitten!!!.... (232 things you can do with your Cuttlebug / Big Shot and counting...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

The BKs are $50 with a 50% coupon around here (SW Ohio). M's and J's carry them and both have the occasional 50% coupon. I've used a J's coupon at M's to get a BK for a gift when J's had them on sale and wouldn't accept a coupon. I had to have it that week, so off to M's with the J's coupon and my fingers crossed. I scored and was very happy with M's.

I have both a CB and a BK and prefer the BK. Definitely take the screws out of the multi-platform!

For a while, people were selling their CBs because the cutting pads for the Sizzix BigzXL dies were too wide. (The dies fit, but the cutting pads were a tad too wide.) I think Provo Craft got wind of this and now there are long accessories for the CB and the BigzXL dies work beautifully with them in a CB.

So, for a while I was suggesting a BK/BS simply because it was easier to use the BigzXL dies with them. Even though that's not an issue now with the (new) long CB accessories, I still suggest a BS/BK over a CB. It's sturdier and less tipsy, IMO. It does take up more space, though, because it doesn't fold up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I paid $50 for mine. They're $99 at AC Moore and I had a 50% off coupon. I think it'll be well worth it. Thanks for the tip about the screws. If the tabs start to annoy me I'll take 'em out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

My Big Shot is out for delivery! yippeee! Time to stalk the UPS guy again. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

take the screws out !! yegads....i never thought to do that....i hate when the multipurpose plate is open and sticks out and gets in the way !!

i have the CB, BS and my little old red sizzix....i have to say i use that little red girl the most ! now it is hard to find the bottom plate for it though ! maybe i will have to use the BS more when my last sizzix plate expires.

PS: i have the revolution, but that never came out of the box....i got it for a really good price last year, but never put it to use ! i think i got it for the magnetic plate so the nesties would stay put? i dont even remember what my rationale was at the time ! that's embarrassing.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes