Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cuttle bug replacement

Hello all, I'm trying to guide a friend new to cardmaking. Since the cuttlebug is no longer an option to buy, what would you suggest as a substitute? Thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had a Sizzix Big Kick for about 10 years...it's the same thing as a Big Shot. There are many brands of die cutting machines, but that's the only one I have ever used. Relatively inexpensive and sturdy. Jennifer McGuire has reviews on her website for several brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Maymay was a devout Cuttlebug user. Now that it is no longer available, she has changed to the Mementa Freeestyle Die Cutting Machine: https://www.maymaymadeit.com/collect...ossing-machine

She uses it in many of her videos.

Personally I use the Big Shot Plus machine or the Spellbinders Platinum 6. There are so many on the market it is basically find a brand you like and the replacement cutting pads are easy to find and affordable.

There are replacement cutting pads that will work in the Cuttlebug if you have the machine and just need cutting pads. https://www.amazon.com/CraftFIRST-Co...737633&sr=8-11

CraftyAl found replacement plates with a different brand, but purchased through Amazon. She uses the Cuttlebug all of the time with these replacement plates.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sizzix Big Shot

I have always used a Big Shot and it has lasted so many years. It just keeps going. I know how to adjust mats and shims as needed. And I am just comfortable using it. Supplies are readily available at reduced prices if you search. Used machines are always listed on various sites. Big Shots are, in my opinion, very reasonably priced when new considering how much they are used. Have fun shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
debable (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf Spellbinders Platinum

Highly recommend the Spellbinders Platinum or Platinum 6, which is the smaller of the two. It is a workhorse. I really like it because it folds up like the Cuttlebug. It has very strong parts and gives lots of pressure. The box comes with all the necessary plates as well. Can't say enough good things about the Platinum. I have a Cuttlebug but because you can't get plates for it anymore I chose Platinum. HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
hultenlk (09-26-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Gemini Jr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

ditto: Gemini Jr. I have 3 Cricuts, a Slice, a 'generic' Craft Buddy, the small original Diamond Press. The Gemini Jr is electronic and makes cutting a breeze...Use it the most, and LOVE IT.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI...my Gemini Junior only lasted 3 months then it would flicker on for a second and never continue to power on! Very disappointed! Googled for a resolution and found nothing. Emailed the company and got a "sorry we are behind due to Covid" reply and they never ever responded beyond that. I bought a Platinum and glad I did! It works well with my new interest in using a Glimmer foil machine.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
sue in so cal (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug replacement

I have the Big Shot and Big Shot Plus. They are very reliable. I also have the new Stampin' Up! Cut and Emboss Machine. It is sturdy and well- made. The sides fold up similar to other brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default big shot or vagabond

I wore out 2 Big Shots because I prep materials for card making groups. Then I got a Vagabond. It is wonderful and saves my hands. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 3 Cuttlebugs. First one bought 2009. Acquired 2nd as backup from estate sale. Given another used one in brand new condition the gold one from Anna Griffin. Love them. I would definitely advise to get one that folds for storage purposes. Sometimes we tend to run out of space for such items. Also would advise not to get a mini and then have to buy another one for larger plates. Don't have any other advise on a brand because I have never used anything else!

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Cuttlebugs are available on Ebay and often at local garage sales. I have three of them and several sets of plates. Like all embossing machines, it's the plates that become difficult to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2021, 10:56 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I loved my Cuttlebug. I loved her so much she wore out and told me no more, lol. When I had to replace her I was so sad. I will always, always be a Cuttlebug girl. I am so envious, in a good way, of everyone who is finding Bugs at the thrift stores, garage sales, etc...

I replaced my Bug with a Spellbinder's Platinum 6. I have the Jane Davenport version with the Mermaids, that has since been retired. I love the Platinum 6 it's closest to a Cuttlebug I could find.

I have a Sizzix Vintaj too. I did love my Vintaj and she is a workhorse. Every single Sizzix "Big" machine I have ever owned the handles have been an issue. I have sprained my wrist more times than I can count. Those sprains have been bad ones.

One of the reasons why I love the Platinum so much is the handle is ergonomic. I have never hurt my wrist using the Platinum. I want to add this tidbit because I know some of us have problems with our hands but still want a manual machine that is not an electric manual machine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2021, 04:55 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Right now there are about 150 Cuttlebugs for sale on Ebay. Most are the machine only and replacement plates for it (or any machine) are getting difficult and expensive. I would even pay for scratched used ones.

I also have a Teresa Collins Cun-N-Boss (electric) that would be great for anyone with hand issues that find it hard to crank. Plates are difficult to find for it also. My first machine was the Spellbinders Grand Caliber that had something rattling inside and broke within a few days. Jo-Ann's refused to refund my money although they did admit it was a return sold as new. The second Spellbinders was lent to someone and (long story) never returned. I miss it more than the "friend".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I will echo the votes for Big Shot. I've had mine several and cut items for 20-24 people/month in classes I teach and have gone through a couple sets of plates [still readily available] but the machine continues to work great. I also have my Cuttlebug for taking to classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JevickView Post
Right now there are about 150 Cuttlebugs for sale on Ebay. Most are the machine only and replacement plates for it (or any machine) are getting difficult and expensive. I would even pay for scratched used ones.
I bought these plates (3mm - B, 5mm - C): https://www.amazon.com/We-buys-Cutti...01LWYBJAI&th=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug. I do break it out every now and then.. I have noticed in several Altenew videos, they are using their Cuttlebugs. After saying that, I made a purchase of a Vagabond. I've noticed I'm using the Vagabond more than the Cuttlebug. As I'm aging I find the Vagabond a helpful tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I have my Cuttlebug from 17 years ago and it's still working like a champ. I did buy Stampin' Up!'s Cut & Emboss (the big one) because some folders and dies were too thick or too large for my sweet little CB. The SU! one cuts intricate dies in one pass I discovered, which is fantastic (CB never did that), but the plates bend, which makes it difficult sometimes to get the dies to stay in place. To solve this, I rotate my plates so that they flatten out.

For those looking for CB plates, take your old ones to a hardware store and have them cut some for you. I've been using the same plates for years and years now, though, and they work great.
Reply With Quote Likes