Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crop-a-dile big bite problem

I received my machine today, but it has a problem. The 3/16" does not punch right because the metal is catching on the metal. It will come down so far and can't go any far because it is not centered right. Anyone else have this problem? I sent an email to We R Memory Keepers and I hope they will stand behind their machine. We'll see. This stinks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't realize they were available already. I hope you can get a replacement for yours if it doesn't work properly.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Mine works fine. WeRMK seems like a very reputable company. Hope you get it resolved soon!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My mom, DawnL, has the same problem with hers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm shipping mine back to HSN this afternoon for a refund. Haven't heard from We R Memory Keepers yet, but I only emailed them this morning. I just don't want to deal with a defective product. HSN says they will refund return shipping as well (or not charge it, I guess, since I'm using the prepaid return label). I'll put the money toward a new set of copics instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gale..when yours comes sell it on EvilBay. One sold today for over $113.00! YIKES!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Someone at 2peas said you can't see exactly where you're punching the hole (like on a hand punch you can see your mark or whatever in the little hole before you punch). I use that feature a LOT on my hand punches and would probably hate that I couldn't punch exactly in the right spot.
This got my attention so I checked it out with the one I got yesterday. Actually you can see where you're punching, but you have to turn the Big Bite upside down.

There's an open slot under where the two hole punchers are located. If you put a pencil mark on your paper, you can see through the hole to center your mark. It does require that you have good lighting because the slot where you are looking at it from the bottom is about 1/2 inch deep. It was not hard to punch holding it that way.

Whew! Glad you brought this up!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I received my machine today, but it has a problem. The 3/16" does not punch right because the metal is catching on the metal. It will come down so far and can't go any far because it is not centered right. Anyone else have this problem? I sent an email to We R Memory Keepers and I hope they will stand behind their machine. We'll see. This stinks!
I just tried mine and it had the same problem, but I just pushed a little harder and it worked. I think there was a little metal shaving that needed to be pushed off. It works fine now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #9  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

I'm still waiting to get mine...you can all bet I'll be putting it through it's paces ASAP!! LOL!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I found another thing to be aware of. It is possible to get the slider on top just slightly off the mark for 1/8 and 3/16 holes causing both cutters to come down at the same time! You could end up with an extra hole in your project! Do a test punch first without anything in it to make sure only the punch you want is moving.

This isn't a real big issue, but it can (and did) happen!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I just tried mine and it had the same problem, but I just pushed a little harder and it worked. I think there was a little metal shaving that needed to be pushed off. It works fine now.
I did this too and it works fine now. I love this tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Yep that was it! Just a thin piece of metal that was in the hole. Just press a little harder and the thing works like nothing else!

And I didn't have any problem lining up my mark with the punch...just slip the paper in, squeeze the punch down part way. put the mark under the punch and finish squeezing. Quick, Easy, and Fast.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the same problem with mine....I ended up just forcing it and it works fine now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

That wouldn't have helped mine. It wasn't just a little piece of metal shaving. It wasn't centered, so it was coming down on the edge by the hole. No forcing it through the metal base. ;) Personally, I don't think anyone should have to be forcing them to get them to work correctly. They should have been checking in manufacturing to make sure they were working correctly. Glad most people's is working well, though!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Eek.. thanks to the OP for posting this. I will most definitely make an examination of mine when I get it (which will hopefully be tomorrow)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Niki,
You can also call their customer service number which is
1-801-539-5000
I had a couple questions that they answered for me and cleared it all up. Wonderful service and help. I love my CAD II and so glad I ordered one and got here so quickly.
HTH,
arubberstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

OK, I really like my new CAD 2. It punches holes like butter. But, I am having an issue with setting eyelets. I can't seem to set them evenly. First, it doesn't split the back like my original CAD does. It kind of smooshes the back, almost accordian style. But it doesn't smoosh them evenly around. I don't know how to explain it. Those of you that have yours, can you set eyelets easily? Is it just me? I tried setting about 30 eyelets(trying lots of different settings) and couldn't get a single one to look pretty. Help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got my Cropadile 2 today! I can't believe how fast it was. i am very pleased with it and no issues! Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Jennifer, mine came yesterday & I am having the same issues with the eyelets! I guess I wouldn't even mind it so much if it was just the backside of the eyelet, but the whole thing smooshes. My eyelets almost look like they were split and then pushed back into the front. I also tried setting about 30 eyelets and they were from different companies. I was only able to get 3 of them to look okay. So far I'm not too thrilled about the eyelets. But I will have to say it cuts like a hot knife in butter. Still if it's not going to work the best it's a pretty spendy hole punch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I spent quite a bit of time comparing my original CAD to my new CAD2 and noticed a few slight differences. First, the bottom thingy, that splits the back of the eyelet, is not quite the exact shape on the CAD2 as on the CAD. Again, hard to explain. Second, when I squeeze the handle to set an eyelet, the front end closes more than the back end, if that makes sense. I didn't have any problems punching holes or setting grommets, just setting eyelets. I guess I will just have to call in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I had that problem with mine with the 1/8" hole. I fixed it. I'll try to describe what I did.
1. Begin by gently pressing the lever with the selecter set on the 3/16" punch. Don't force it - you just want it to come down so you can see where it is misaligned.
2. When the punch makes contact with the plate, push gently on the black plastic piece that holds the punch in place. The goal is to push it into the hole - be gently forceful. (in other words don't let DH manhandle it in with brute force and break it).
3. When the punch is in the hole lower the handle so the punch head seats in the hole completely.
4. Repeat this procedure until the punch lines up with the hole by it self.
5. If pushing on the black plastic doesn't work - push on the metal housing above the black plastic plate. Do the same as the above steps.
6. When the punch finally lines up on its own and punches without the pushing, lubricate it with Cutter Glide or silicone sewing machine oil.
7. Punch on a bunch of scrap to spread the lubricant and to wipe off the excess

I did both (pushed on the plastic and the metal) and after about a dozen tries it lined up. I think that the black plastic carrier was slightly misaligned or maybe ours got banged up in shipping.

I hope this helps get yours working. Mine is doing fine.

(Just a side note - by profession I'm a mechanical engineer and there's a law somewhere that says we must mess with everything until we fix it or make it worse)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
I found another thing to be aware of. It is possible to get the slider on top just slightly off the mark for 1/8 and 3/16 holes causing both cutters to come down at the same time! You could end up with an extra hole in your project! Do a test punch first without anything in it to make sure only the punch you want is moving.

This isn't a real big issue, but it can (and did) happen!
This could also be a good thing - double hole punch with two different sizes for decoration. Gotta mess with mine again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi BlankenshipView Post
Jennifer, mine came yesterday & I am having the same issues with the eyelets! I guess I wouldn't even mind it so much if it was just the backside of the eyelet, but the whole thing smooshes. My eyelets almost look like they were split and then pushed back into the front. I also tried setting about 30 eyelets and they were from different companies. I was only able to get 3 of them to look okay. So far I'm not too thrilled about the eyelets. But I will have to say it cuts like a hot knife in butter. Still if it's not going to work the best it's a pretty spendy hole punch!
I found that if I squeeze really hard the eyelet will flatten. I was told you are supposed to hear a click when the eyelet sets. When I heard a click it smooshed the eyelet. Press gently and stop short of putting the handle all the way down. Pull out your paper/eyelet and check it. If the eyelet is a little loose in the hole, you can reset it. I did about 4 or 5 before I got the feel. And if an eyelet spins in the hole, just reset it using a bit more pressure than the previous set. I think it just takes getting a feel for it.

And ladies remember, we are the some of the first 7000 people to get these. This puts us on the bleeding edge of technology versus the leading edge. There are bound to be some kinks. I've already heard that the next release of CAD II will have feet that you don't need to unscrew to remove. I'm sure part of the reason for this release was to see the response and to get actual customers to use them and see if there are any issues.

My guess is that some man engineer designed this based on descriptions from what us female scrappers / crafters wanted and a lot is lost in translation. As an engineer, I can generally tell that a man designed something that is used exclusively or mainly by women. There is usually one major thing a woman would've put on the item that is left out. Like being able to remove the feet on the CAD II WITHOUT a screwdriver. But that is a rant for another thread.....

Overall I think the design is solid. There will be some fixes. The best thing you can do if you are unhappy is to return it with a detailed description of the problems. I would also write We R Memory Keepers in addition to the return to HSN with a detailed description of the problem. Someone in the design and engineering department will eventually get the fault report and modify future models. (Why can't I get a job as an engineer for a scrap/craft company..........)

Good luck with the new toys......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't realize that some of the HSN customers were already getting their new CADs. Thought none were being shipped till March. My LSS is taking orders right now till the end of the month for $29.99 for shipment in March. I was all set to prepay for one but now I am not sure after reading this thread. Subscribing to this thread....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I didn't realize that some of the HSN customers were already getting their new CADs. Thought none were being shipped till March. My LSS is taking orders right now till the end of the month for $29.99 for shipment in March. I was all set to prepay for one but now I am not sure after reading this thread. Subscribing to this thread....
I think you should go ahead and pre-order. I don't think you can get it now from HSN unless you already ordered it. Last I checked you couldn't even FIND the Big Bite on the HSN website after the day they advertised it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Hey guys... this is my first time responding on here, but I had to reply about the eyelet problem. I just got my Big Bite from HSN and I have tried setting a bunch of different eyelets with the same "smooshing" problems. I have eyelets from all sorts of different companies (except We R) and none of them set nicely. I have the original CAD, but I never used it... HA! Guess I will have to try it out now to see if there is a difference. But, another thing I had a problem with was the grommets. About one out of every three would set perfectly, but the others would all set with one prong pointing inward. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but my husband tried it too and got the same result. I really wish they would have designed the eyelet setter to set in the flower pattern like my manual setter. Guess I may have to go back to the old hammer... unless someone can suggest another silent eyelet setter that sets the backs better. Let me know... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Eyelets with beautiful backs

Aymeeb, the only silent eyelet setter that sets eyelets as beautifully on the back as the front is the Home Pro LR from American Tag. (Link: www.bonniesbest.com/eyeletsetter.htm ) The Home Pro LR has a 6-inch reach, and is so much more versatile than just an eyelet setter -- it punches 4 sizes of holes (including holes in heavy chipboard and metal): 3/32", 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" -- sets four sizes of eyelets (with beautiful backs!) -- sets rivets -- sets 2-part 1/4" metal grommets (again, beautiful front and back) -- sets 4 (maybe 5?) sizes of nailheads -- sets several sizes of rimset rhinestones -- and lots more (I always forget something!). Such a great tool. I just love mine!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Did all of you that are having issues with this new one, find that the original was problem free? I just bought the original today, so I'm curious if there were any issues with it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi everyone,
I ordered the CD2 also and it came yesterday so I got to play a little bit. I've never used a CD so it took me some time to figure this out I felt pretty dumb when my husband showed me I was doing some things back words.
Any way I was wondering how many of you are going to send your's back ?
I wish I would have waited and done a little research before diving in. I really like the Home Pro LR that Bonnie posted. If anyone has one could you please let me know how you like it, don't mean to start a thread jack.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Bonnie!

That's kind of what I got from reading through the threads. I think I will check out the Home Pro LR instead and sell off my CD2.

I got curious and dug around on the internet a bit and found a good pic of the We R eyelets, since I have never used them before. Turns out they are pre-notched at the bottom of the eyelet. So, it appears if you use their eyelets you should be fine. But, if you have any others from any other companies - which are predominantly straight shanked - they don't work so well. Wish We R would state that they "recommend using their eyelets" or that "the CD2 may not set all other companies eyelets" or something... But, they make it seem like it is a universal tool, which it really isn't.

Anyway, I really appreciate the info!

If anyone else out there has had good success setting eyelets other than We R, please let me know.... Maybe I am doing something wrong. Who knows... ;)

Aymee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by arubberstamperView Post
Niki,
You can also call their customer service number which is
1-801-539-5000
I had a couple questions that they answered for me and cleared it all up. Wonderful service and help. I love my CAD II and so glad I ordered one and got here so quickly.
HTH,
arubberstamper
My CAD II was defective too. I called the above number and they said there's nothing they can do and sent me back to HSN. I'm disappointed that HSN doesn't offer to replace it when new stock arrives. Oh well. At least I can wait for the new improved model with removeable feet and use a coupon when it hits the stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Corners! How could I forget my favorite???

Geez, Gale -- how could I forget my FAVORITE function?! Yes, the Home Pro LR sets those awesome metal corners. (I just had surgery, so anesthesia is my current excuse for any memory lapses!)

You can look between the top and the bottom of the "mouth" of the Home Pro LR and see exactly where the punch mechanism is headed... if it is not heading directly for the spot where you want the hole, you can adjust the paper before pushing the handle all the way. Hope that's clear.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't know what I'm doing right, but I have been using different eyelets that have been sitting in my eyelet cases now for awhile now. And they all have been working great in my new CAD II. I don't have the old one nor do I have the LR Pro... I know that my local Home Depot carries the Home LR Pro...may have to check this tool out too.
It is disturbing about a company that won't replace a tool and now it makes me wonder what their other products may be like if something goes wrong with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

gale, let us know if you look at Home Depot. Maybe they will have all the extra tool sets as well.
I ordered a HPLR from ebay and I see the newer HP's are purple.
I decided to get one because you can do alot more with them than the CD2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

After reading your message about the WeR eyelets being notched, I decided to try something. I took one of my eyelets and cut 4 notches with my wire cutters. Then I tried setting it with my CAD2 and it worked beautifully! I tried it with some of my SU eyelets and they all worked also! Now, for some, this may be too much work. But I really like all the other features, so I didn't want to send it back. So, after I put my eyelet in the hole(it may not fit in the hole if you notch it first), I just cut a few notches and then set it. I found that four notches worked better than three, don't know why! I know Heidi was having the same problem, so hopefully this will work for others, as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aymeebView Post
Thanks Bonnie!

That's kind of what I got from reading through the threads. I think I will check out the Home Pro LR instead and sell off my CD2.

I got curious and dug around on the internet a bit and found a good pic of the We R eyelets, since I have never used them before. Turns out they are pre-notched at the bottom of the eyelet. So, it appears if you use their eyelets you should be fine. But, if you have any others from any other companies - which are predominantly straight shanked - they don't work so well. Wish We R would state that they "recommend using their eyelets" or that "the CD2 may not set all other companies eyelets" or something... But, they make it seem like it is a universal tool, which it really isn't.

Anyway, I really appreciate the info!

If anyone else out there has had good success setting eyelets other than We R, please let me know.... Maybe I am doing something wrong. Who knows... ;)

Aymee

Last edited by speanburg4; 01-23-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I checked out the Home pro Lr and the only thing that makes me hesitate is that there are so many other tools you have to buy to set the eyelets etc... My new Cropodile seems fine. I wonder why that is when so many are saying there's aren't working?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63View Post
I checked out the Home pro Lr and the only thing that makes me hesitate is that there are so many other tools you have to buy to set the eyelets etc... My new Cropodile seems fine. I wonder why that is when so many are saying there's aren't working?
I think a lot of the issues happened during shipping. My black setting attachments appear to be just slightly out of alignment, making it harder to set eyelets. But I think that it just banged up during shipping. UPS is not always that gentle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63View Post
I had a Home Pro LR and what I didn't like about it was that in order punch holes, you had to change out the top and bottom parts for punching. Then to set eyelets, you had to change out the top and bottom parts. I also had a problem of the eyelet sometimes being stuck on the post of the LR Pro. In order to get it "unstuck" I would invariably rip the paper. (It didn't always stick but it was enough to make me not want to use it.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought of the same thing about the Home Pro Lr too... You have to fiddle so much with it and then you have to buy extra things for it each time that you are going to use. I bought the CAD II cause I don't have a silent setter,It's been working fine for me, if need be I still have my Click-It From Karen Foster. I will use the CAD II probably as much as I use that Click-It. But so glad I did get the CAD II.
arubberstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by critter2View Post
I had that problem with mine with the 1/8" hole. I fixed it. I'll try to describe what I did.
1. Begin by gently pressing the lever with the selecter set on the 3/16" punch. Don't force it - you just want it to come down so you can see where it is misaligned.
(Just a side note - by profession I'm a mechanical engineer and there's a law somewhere that says we must mess with everything until we fix it or make it worse)
GOD BLESS YOU!!!! I just received my Big Bite today (surprise for me, 'cause I just got an email that I would receive it after Feb. 10th!!) and I was so excited to try it out. Mine was 1/16" out of alignment with the hole and I was bummed. I tried trusty old SCS and found your awesome directions. Now it works great. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Reply With Quote Likes