Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut Expression Problem???

I'm hoping maybe someone can help me. I purchased a Cricut Expression back in November (I think it was November) and I've used it several times. I'm slowly learning how it works. Anyway, lately I've been noticing a skunk smell in my craft room. I thought maybe it was the new power supply that my husband put in my computer, but yesterday I discovered that it's my Cricut that smells so bad. Like I said, I've had it for awhile now and I'm just noticing this now. I did a google search and I found this thread about the same skunk smell:

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/t...ookieSupport=1

Is anyone else having this problem? Does this mean that there is something wrong with my Cricut? I never keep my Cricut plugged in unless I am using it and when I do use it it's not for extended periods of time, so I don't think it's an over heating problem unless my machine has a defect.

I'm thinking I can call the company and ask about it, but I do not have my original store receipt. I have a photocopy of it. I sent in the original when they were offering the two free cartridges with the Cricut purchase at the end of last year.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LaLatty.....As long as you have a receipt for your machine that's fine. The most you would need to do is fax it to them (you can use a copy to do that). If you have registered your machine, I would call them to see what they would suggest may be the problem. Also, if it's still within the first year of purchase, they can replace it if necessary. You may also need to give them the serial number off the bottom of your machine.

Are you sure it's not the sticky mats that have a strange smell and not the machine? I know some of the mats I've opened, they do have a strange smell.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Default cricut expression

Oh my gosh I just nearly fell off my chair...mine smells too. I thought I was the only one. For the life of me I could not figure out what that smell was when I was in that part of the room. Then I leaned down and smelled the cricut and sure enough that was it. It works fine, but the smell really is bad. Please keep me posted if you get any info as to why it does smell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #4  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
LaLatty.....As long as you have a receipt for your machine that's fine. The most you would need to do is fax it to them (you can use a copy to do that). If you have registered your machine, I would call them to see what they would suggest may be the problem. Also, if it's still within the first year of purchase, they can replace it if necessary. You may also need to give them the serial number off the bottom of your machine.

Are you sure it's not the sticky mats that have a strange smell and not the machine? I know some of the mats I've opened, they do have a strange smell.

Patti
Thank you so much, Patti for your help. I wasn't sure if a copy of my receipt would be sufficient just in case I had to send my Cricut back. I'm going to call customer support and see what they say.

I'm positive that it's the machine that smells it's a really strong odor and it even makes me light headed sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

OMW...this is so interesting. I am sorry your machine stinks! Do let PC know. I am interested to see what is causing it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
Oh my gosh I just nearly fell off my chair...mine smells too. I thought I was the only one. For the life of me I could not figure out what that smell was when I was in that part of the room. Then I leaned down and smelled the cricut and sure enough that was it. It works fine, but the smell really is bad. Please keep me posted if you get any info as to why it does smell.
Yep, same here! It works with no problem, but I just can't stand the skunk smell. Does the skunk smell bother you? It's been making me light headed and feeling dizzy, but my machine is right next to my computer.

I'm going to call customer support and see what they say about it. I'll come back and post any information I receive.

I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem. At first my husband thought I was nuts until he came in my craft room and smelled it for himself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

LaLatty....I can vouch for the Customer Service at Provo. I just had delivered my second replacement Expression this morning. They gave me no problem with the first defective one or the first replacement one being defective. They just send them and you return the defective one in the same box, postage paid by them. BUT the machine much be within the first 12 months of purchase and registered with them.

They ship FedEx, and it does require an adult sign for the machine when it is delivered. Must also be returned via FedEx.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #8  

Quote:

LaLatty....I can vouch for the Customer Service at Provo. I just had delivered my second replacement Expression this morning. They gave me no problem with the first defective one or the first replacement one being defective. They just send them and you return the defective one in the same box, postage paid by them. BUT the machine much be within the first 12 months of purchase and registered with them.

They ship FedEx, and it does require an adult sign for the machine when it is delivered. Must also be returned via FedEx.

Patti
I have heard that they have excellent customer support. I just wasn't sure if I was the only one having this problem. I didn't want them to think that I am nuts when I tell them that my machine smells like a skunk.

I'm within the 12 months purchase and I'm almost positive that my husband registered my machine when he bought it for me. I was just reading their warranty information on the website.

Thanks again for all of your help; I know that you are very good with the Cricut- you've helped me before
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
OMW...this is so interesting. I am sorry your machine stinks! Do let PC know. I am interested to see what is causing it!!
Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out. I have to call about it once I can get the kids settled down and quiet. Isn't it something when I have to make plans for the kids in order to make a phone call....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

My Cricut machine does not smell but the Cricut BAG I purchased from Walmart smelled horrible! It was really abonoxious! Thankfully it's not as bad now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Don't you wish they made Febreeze for the cricut mats. Those things stink and make me lightheaded, sometimes even sneezy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #12  

I'm on the phone with pc right now. I'm on hold and they said that they've never had a skunk smell complaint....LOL Guess I'm the first ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #13  

Okay, I'm back. The woman who I was speaking with had to ask someone else and that woman said, yes she has had 'skunk smell' complaints in the past. I was told that the smell is from the machine being shipped over from China and that the packaging can be an issue. She asked me how long the machine has been in use and out of the box. I told her that my machine has been out of the box since it was purchased. Heck I couldn't wait to play with it!

She basically told me that it has to air out and then told me to wipe it inside my machine using a baby wipe and to try a fabric softener sheet. I don't know if it's going to work, but I'll give it a try. It really stinks though.

craftsrlb- if you try this on your machine let me know how you make out. I'm going to wipe mine down and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #14  

I almost forgot to mention that I was told that the skunk smell doesn't effect the machine's useage, which it doesn't, I haven't had a problem with my machine cutting or anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

LaLatty......You're Very Welcome!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

I don't own one of these but I would be curious to know if it is something toxic you are smelling. I wouldn't worry so much about how it affected the machine working but more about whether I was breathing toxic fumes. You wouldn't get light headed and dizzy from real skunk smell. Might be worth some research to find out what chemical could make that smell. If it has been on more than one, than obviously it is something being used in the manufacturing or packaging process. Something didn't just spill on it in transit.

Don't mean to be an alarmist but some funny, and not so funny, things have been coming out of China lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by timetravellerView Post
I don't own one of these but I would be curious to know if it is something toxic you are smelling. I wouldn't worry so much about how it affected the machine working but more about whether I was breathing toxic fumes. You wouldn't get light headed and dizzy from real skunk smell. Might be worth some research to find out what chemical could make that smell. If it has been on more than one, than obviously it is something being used in the manufacturing or packaging process. Something didn't just spill on it in transit.

Don't mean to be an alarmist but some funny, and not so funny, things have been coming out of China lately.
You know you are right. My husband and I were just talking about this again today at lunch. My husband said if my Cricut came from china, then they all must have come over seas from China. There has to be a reason that it is smelling so bad. My husband said he is going to call provo craft back tomorrow and tell them that the smell is making me sick. There has to be something wrong because it didn't smell before and it does now. My husband said he doesn't think cleaning it with a baby wipe can get rid of the smell...and like you said- it's happening to other machines as well, not just mine. There has to be something wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I almost forgot to mention that I was told that the skunk smell doesn't effect the machine's useage, which it doesn't, I haven't had a problem with my machine cutting or anything else.
Well, it effect's the usage if you can't use it, right?! I wouldn't be able to use anything that smelled like a skunk. Do they have a skunk problem in China? And why are they spraying the Cricut machines anyway!!! LOL...ahh. I could go on and on....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
Well, it effect's the usage if you can't use it, right?! ----Well you do have a point here.....LOL I wouldn't be able to use anything that smelled like a skunk. Do they have a skunk problem in China? And why are they spraying the Cricut machines anyway!!! LOL...ahh. I could go on and on....
You made me laugh when I read your post ;) But my machine smells even when I'm not using it. In fact my machine is right next to where I'm sitting and it smells like 'Pepe La Pew' is stamping with me....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sniffed my machine last nite...Yup SKUNKY...Shoot, Now I'm wondering if it's been that way for a while and I just thought a skunk sprayed outside...we do have a skunk "friend" that visits from time to time. I would never have guess that the smell was coming from my cricut. I've been trying to call Provo craft all morning and keep
getting a message that it is after hours even though it's way past 7AM MST. I got mine on Black Friday at Walmart I also sent in my original receipt to get the free carts.
Maybe the machines were in a SKUNK warehouse before being shipped to Walmart and that is why it was such a GREAT deal !!! (We'll even give you 2 free carts LOL)

Last edited by bdeyes9; 06-18-2009 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I just sniffed my machine last nite...Yup SKUNKY...Shoot, Now I'm wondering if it's been that way for a while and I just thought a skunk sprayed outside...we do have a skunk "friend" that visits from time to time. I would never have guess that the smell was coming from my cricut. I've been trying to call Provo craft all morning and keep
getting a message that it is after hours even though it's way past 7AM MST. I got mine on Black Friday at Walmart I also sent in my original receipt to get the free carts.
Maybe the machines were in a SKUNK warehouse before being shipped to Walmart and that is why it was such a GREAT deal !!! (We'll even give you 2 free carts LOL)
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you are also having the same problem. There must have been a whole family of skunks helping to package our cricuts....LOL

I would have never guessed that the smell was from my machine either, until I finally figured it out- at first I thought it was my computer.

My husband called Provo craft this morning and again, the representative today told him that she has heard of the skunk smell complaints before. Again we were told to wipe it with a baby wipe, but that didn't work and my husband asked for a replacement. The smell was really bothering me and even making me sick. So anyway, I will be receiving a replacement, but I did need to have my receipt. I didn't have my original because I also sent it in for the free cartridge offer, but I have a copy and the copy was sufficient.

You said that you are having a hard time getting through to the company. I'm not sure if this will help you, but this is the phone number that we called- 877-7274288.

My husband told the representative on the phone about my thread here and the thread on their own forums (see the link in my first post), so she knows that there are some others experiencing the same problems.

Let me know how you make out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

That is so crazy! A skunk smell from the machine. Was it with a certain batch that was sent out? I hope they are fixing the problem. Thanks for sharing all the info. That will save alot of time for everyone if we end up having the same stinkin' issue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LaLatty,
Your thread is the reason I went home and sniffed my machine and figured that the Skunks that live around my house weren't at war with the side of the house my craft room is in..LOL
I called Provo Craft yesterday and spoke to Jeannette. She was aware
of the problem and is replacing my machine. I have to fax her a copy of my receipt. When I opened the box to get my receipt I got a stong wiff...
PEEEUUUU!!!!
I hope PC replaces your machine, if not maybe some one who likes skunk smell
(my friends sister does!!!) can buy your machine from you...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricutmachinequeenView Post
That is so crazy! A skunk smell from the machine. Was it with a certain batch that was sent out? I hope they are fixing the problem. Thanks for sharing all the info. That will save alot of time for everyone if we end up having the same stinkin' issue!
I don't know if it was a certain batch or machines, when my husband called they didn't say. The only thing they said was that it was from the machines being in China and the packaging, but I still think they are wrong. They really should look into why some of us are experiencing this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
LaLatty,
Your thread is the reason I went home and sniffed my machine and figured that the Skunks that live around my house weren't at war with the side of the house my craft room is in..LOL
I called Provo Craft yesterday and spoke to Jeannette. She was aware
of the problem and is replacing my machine. I have to fax her a copy of my receipt. When I opened the box to get my receipt I got a stong wiff...
PEEEUUUU!!!!
I hope PC replaces your machine, if not maybe some one who likes skunk smell
(my friends sister does!!!) can buy your machine from you...LOL
I'm so glad to hear that you will be receiving a replacement machine. You probably didn't see in the post above, but I am also getting a replacement machine. It didn't seem like they wanted to replace mine because it took two phone calls. And my husband told them that I do not want a refurbished one; I would like a new 'non skunk' one.....LOL

OMG....Your friend's sister actually likes a skunk smell.....LOL!!! I can't imagine that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't own a Cricut but my friend just bought one so I told her about this thread. I have a question: Does the smell get 'stirred up' when you open the box and take you machine out? The smell isn't noticeable until the packaging is' disturbed, right'? Maybe I'll wait to buy one until the skunk family vacates the China manufacturing plant/warehouse.

Hope everyones problem gets resolved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

With all the defects in products from China (drywall, baby formula, etc.) it might not be the packaging but perhaps its the wiring or perhaps the chemicals used to make the case, etc.

I would make sure you don't leave the machine plugged in when not in use as the OP said she didn't smell it right away. If it was packaging you think it would have slowing got less smelly, not more. Also, don't leave the room when it's in progress in case there is a short.

I read an article where wires that arc smell like fish so who know what computer parts smell like if they are defective. I couldn't find anything about skunk smells and electrical parts.

I've had my machine since christmas and I just went over and gave it a sniff and it has a faint skunk smell - I never noticed it before. The only places that smell are by the electrical areas - key pads, hmmm makes me wonder???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I would not let the "smell" issue be a deterrant for anyone considering purchasing an Expression or Cricut machine. There are too many explanations for what some people are smelling on their machines.

If the smell is offensive to anyone of you, call Provo and ask for a replacement. They make the process very simple and easy.

I didn't have a "smell" issue, but did have to return two defective machines. They gave me no problem when the second one they sent me was defective. I'm on my 3rd one and it seems to be working properly.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a faint smell coming from my Cricut Create. Not major but just when I put my face up to it. And mine is also coming from the electrical parts too. My husband suggested it might be the rubber band. The smell of rubber is similar. In any case I registered mine a couple of days ago when I read this post, just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I don't own a Cricut but my friend just bought one so I told her about this thread. I have a question: Does the smell get 'stirred up' when you open the box and take you machine out? The smell isn't noticeable until the packaging is' disturbed, right'? Maybe I'll wait to buy one until the skunk family vacates the China manufacturing plant/warehouse.

Hope everyones problem gets resolved.
Actually I didn't notice the smell until just about 2 months ago and I've had my machine since the beginning of November. In the beginning I used mine a lot ( I never noticed a smell), and then it sat here in my craft room until just last week when I used it again. I'm not sure why the smell is so strong now, but Provo Craft is replacing it for me. To be quite honest I really do not think the smell is from the packaging.

Another thought I had is that it might just be the Cricut Expression machines. I haven't heard any skunk complaints regarding the two smaller cricuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
With all the defects in products from China (drywall, baby formula, etc.) it might not be the packaging but perhaps its the wiring or perhaps the chemicals used to make the case, etc.

I would make sure you don't leave the machine plugged in when not in use as the OP said she didn't smell it right away. If it was packaging you think it would have slowing got less smelly, not more. Also, don't leave the room when it's in progress in case there is a short.

I read an article where wires that arc smell like fish so who know what computer parts smell like if they are defective. I couldn't find anything about skunk smells and electrical parts.

I've had my machine since christmas and I just went over and gave it a sniff and it has a faint skunk smell - I never noticed it before. The only places that smell are by the electrical areas - key pads, hmmm makes me wonder???
You are right the smell seems to be along the bottom of my machine where all the electrical parts are. I agree with your first sentence....(no offense to anyone here), but you never know what you are getting from China. I'm wondering why cricut is USA made. I know cheaper labor in China, but too bad we can't keep the jobs here.

Just to be on the safe side though I never keep my machine plugged in. I do this for safety reasons and (you'll think I'm nuts here), but being that it's summer time and we get a lot of thunder and lightening storms I keep it unplugged just in case lightening would hit it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #32  

Quote:

I would not let the "smell" issue be a deterrant for anyone considering purchasing an Expression or Cricut machine. There are too many explanations for what some people are smelling on their machines.

If the smell is offensive to anyone of you, call Provo and ask for a replacement. They make the process very simple and easy.

I didn't have a "smell" issue, but did have to return two defective machines. They gave me no problem when the second one they sent me was defective. I'm on my 3rd one and it seems to be working properly.

Patti
I agree with Patti, don't let the skunk smell stop you from buying a cricut. If there is a problem Provo Craft will replace it. And like I said in a previous post, I'm not sure if it's just the expressions having this problem or if it's the other cricut machines as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenatasawhView Post
I have a faint smell coming from my Cricut Create. Not major but just when I put my face up to it. And mine is also coming from the electrical parts too. My husband suggested it might be the rubber band. The smell of rubber is similar. In any case I registered mine a couple of days ago when I read this post, just to be on the safe side.
The smell could be from rubber I guess. The smell is really strong along the bottom of my machine where all of the electrical parts are. What really concerend me the most is that the smells started making me feel light headed and dizzy.

In my first post above I posted a link about this same subject in a thread that I found on the cricut website. In the first post of that thread the woman was also complaining of feeling light headed- this is why when my husband and I called Provo Craft back we asked the my machine be replaced.

I'm glad to see that you registered your machine- that's a good idea and make sure that you keep your receipt for the warranty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh, no! Mine was visited by Pepe Le Pew too! I was just reading this thread and thought hmmm maybe I should check mine since I bought it from Walmart on Black Friday. Sure enough, it has a distinct stink. I will be calling Provocraft. I don't want to wait until I or my kids start getting dizzy or faint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by justroseyView Post
Oh, no! Mine was visited by Pepe Le Pew too! I was just reading this thread and thought hmmm maybe I should check mine since I bought it from Walmart on Black Friday. Sure enough, it has a distinct stink. I will be calling Provocraft. I don't want to wait until I or my kids start getting dizzy or faint.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that yours stinks as well. I wanted to mention that I bought my cricut at AC Moore. I don't think the machines that are having this problem are all from Walmart. I'm thinking that all of the machines that stink were purchased around the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #36  

Bumpin in case anyone else may be having the same problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Mine smells Ok, but I know this had been a problem for some people in the past. I remember reading this on another forum about 8 months ago. I sure hope they get it figured out soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayle3131View Post
Mine smells Ok, but I know this had been a problem for some people in the past. I remember reading this on another forum about 8 months ago. I sure hope they get it figured out soon.
I didn't realize that it was a problem until I started searching the internet and found a thread about this on the cricut website. Now that I've posted this thread I'm hearing about it a lot more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #39  

I just wanted to let you all know that I received my new Cricut in the mail last week and my new one seems pretty good so far
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, I did a google search to see if anyone else had this problem and came across this post. I got my Cricut Expression Black Friday of '08. I didn't notice the skunk smell until the last couple of times I used it. It's only when I open it up to load the mat that I smell it.
Reply With Quote Likes