Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

thank you thank you thank you!

I printed out the instructions and can't wait to get this taken care of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #122  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyAmyView Post
Does anyone here cut SVG files from lettering delights out on their E? I got an email today from lettering delights and it has the cutest beach themed images, I was thinking of buying them, but don't know how I'd cut them out with my E.
I do! You will need software for this and the software will not work with the
E2 machines. If you already have the older version of make the cut or scal/scal2 you are all set. The new versions of this software will not work with cricut anymore (Cricut bullied them into not selling it and filed suits agains them) so if you need software you will have t use FairyCut. I have that and scal. I love my scal2 but it is nolonger available but fairy cut is and I have to say it is nice infave the print and cut feature is the coolest, it is like haveing an Imagine except you can print and cut anything, it rocks!

You can try the lettering delights freebies and see if they will work before you buy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #123  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the original E, not the E2. I have the free versions of make the cut and scal, I was on the fence about buying them because of the lawsuit. Will they still cut?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #124  
Glitter Guru

Does fairy cuts work with the E2

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
I do! You will need software for this and the software will not work with the
E2 machines. If you already have the older version of make the cut or scal/scal2 you are all set. The new versions of this software will not work with cricut anymore (Cricut bullied them into not selling it and filed suits agains them) so if you need software you will have t use FairyCut. I have that and scal. I love my scal2 but it is nolonger available but fairy cut is and I have to say it is nice infave the print and cut feature is the coolest, it is like haveing an Imagine except you can print and cut anything, it rocks!

You can try the lettering delights freebies and see if they will work before you buy
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #125  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sami02uscView Post
Does fairy cuts work with the E2
I don't this so, they changed the drivers/firmware to prevent after market sofware. You could always try with the free trial but I doubt it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #126  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyAmyView Post
I have the original E, not the E2. I have the free versions of make the cut and scal, I was on the fence about buying them because of the lawsuit. Will they still cut?
I think you can buy MTC, just don't update the software again or you will lose that ablility, it will probably ask you every time you open it to update but don't or it won't work any more.

SCAL took away scal and scal 2 and made new software scal3 for all of the other cutters so users won't be tricked into updating. I think sellers have intil the 27 to stop selling scal2 so you might try a reseller like scrappingtable.com to see if they have any copies left. They are no longer selling it on the craft edge website. Be sure to save a copy in a few places in case of a crash I prefer scal2 for die cutting. I don't care for mtc as well but many people love it, it is all what you are used too. I love fairy cut for print and cut applications, it s so easy and right now the only game in town LOL!

The reason I like scal2 is that you can have a design with several pages so if I am working on a large project I can seperate my designs by colors without opening new files and save it all together. It is handy for me. I think you can do that in MTC too

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #127  
Glitter Guru

Thanks I was reading and didn't think so but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. I am not much of a computer person so if 5 years of owning the original bug I never got anything computer related so it is not a big loss to me

Quote:

I don't this so, they changed the drivers/firmware to prevent after market sofware. You could always try with the free trial but I doubt it...
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #128  
Total Quack

Someone asked me how to simplify the node path in SCAL, and I can no longer find the message. Can you contact me if you were the one that wanted to know, please???

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #129  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
Someone asked me how to simplify the node path in SCAL, and I can no longer find the message. Can you contact me if you were the one that wanted to know, please???
Hi Shell, I usually do it in inkscape but it is either unter path or object and it should say simplify. In inkscape is in under path or shortcut ctrl+L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #130  
Embossing Fanatic

I am so grateful that my SCAL2 still works in my Expression. On Saturday my granddaughter was making "pupcakes" for her favorite auntie. I thought about those cupcake wrappers I had seen and went upstairs to look in the books and see which carts came with it. Well, none of mine - and I have about 22 carts. I could have run over to Joann's or something - but I was not wanting to spend nearly $50 just for the one cart I could find to get cupcake wrappers. Then I thought of Lettering Delights - and SVG cuts. I found what I was looking for only $5.00. It is a complete set of 10 very delightful Spring floral designs. I downloaded it and by using SCAL2 was able to get them printed out and ready to go in no time. They printed beautifully.

I love most of my Cricut carts - and I get the whole proprietary property protection issues and certainly don't think it would be right to be able to print their art through SCAL or other programs. But being able to use this machine for other art - on the spur of the moment, to create a very adorable gift package - and for only $5.....this brings more value to that machine than most of the carts on the shelf have provided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #131  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katie, this is exactly how I feel. My sister gave me my Expression. Didn't ask me if I wanted it. Ordered it off eBay so no return possible. I thought "what a waste" because I knew cartridges were expensive and, frankly, I did not really like the designs I'd seen. Then two things happened. 1. I discovered SCAL and 2. found that there were some cartridges that I liked (and that I could get them for a good price). Now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. IMO, SCAL makes this otherwise limiting cutter much more versatile and powerful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieMacScrapView Post
I am so grateful that my SCAL2 still works in my Expression. On Saturday my granddaughter was making "pupcakes" for her favorite auntie. I thought about those cupcake wrappers I had seen and went upstairs to look in the books and see which carts came with it. Well, none of mine - and I have about 22 carts. I could have run over to Joann's or something - but I was not wanting to spend nearly $50 just for the one cart I could find to get cupcake wrappers. Then I thought of Lettering Delights - and SVG cuts. I found what I was looking for only $5.00. It is a complete set of 10 very delightful Spring floral designs. I downloaded it and by using SCAL2 was able to get them printed out and ready to go in no time. They printed beautifully.

I love most of my Cricut carts - and I get the whole proprietary property protection issues and certainly don't think it would be right to be able to print their art through SCAL or other programs. But being able to use this machine for other art - on the spur of the moment, to create a very adorable gift package - and for only $5.....this brings more value to that machine than most of the carts on the shelf have provided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #132  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the cricut expression but was told I could not use SCAL. Seems that if you connect the Expressions to your computer it willupdate. Once it is updated, SCAL won't work or doesn't come out right. Sounds like maybe there is hope! I haven't purchased SCAL yet but want to. Can someone please help? I like to download templates but end up cutting them myself. Tell me...is there hope for me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #133  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanamamaView Post
I have the cricut expression but was told I could not use SCAL. Seems that if you connect the Expressions to your computer it willupdate. Once it is updated, SCAL won't work or doesn't come out right. Sounds like maybe there is hope! I haven't purchased SCAL yet but want to. Can someone please help? I like to download templates but end up cutting them myself. Tell me...is there hope for me?
I have SCAL2 and an Expression and it all still works. From what I have heard and read is that updates will not be available for SCAL2 much longer, but that won't stop it from working with the Cricut. They are just not allowed to sell SCAL2 anymore, but there are some places who still have the software available. I know a local scrapbook store here does. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #134  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanamamaView Post
mine still works too! If you have scal2 you are all set! The only way your epression will update is if you go the cricut site and installor update your DS gypsy software-far as I know they have not blocked it yey but I am not going to chence updateing anything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #135  
Stampin' Fool

I need to make a birthday card for a little boy turning 4. He really likes the solar system and I need ideas. Anyone have any? I don't own the Superman Cartridge so that's not an option. TIA...

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #136  
Glitter Guru

How about Toy Story? If not use George and basic shapes and circles different sizes and colors, the maybe a star or circle hand punch (add glitter or glossy accent or something). A black base with several planets and with "stars" and sentiment "hope your birthday is out of this world"

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvcardsView Post
I need to make a birthday card for a little boy turning 4. He really likes the solar system and I need ideas. Anyone have any? I don't own the Superman Cartridge so that's not an option. TIA...
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #137  

I all, looking for a resource. I have SCAL 2 and an expression. Trying to make a simple Mickey Mouse Ears. I've traced a jpg and the shape cut skewed so I build one from circles and it, too, is cutting skewed. Anyone have any ideas or a good reference for troubleshooing?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #138  
Glitter Guru

Wish I could help but I would say the Mickey and Friends cart has some great silhouettes. Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjenView Post
I all, looking for a resource. I have SCAL 2 and an expression. Trying to make a simple Mickey Mouse Ears. I've traced a jpg and the shape cut skewed so I build one from circles and it, too, is cutting skewed. Anyone have any ideas or a good reference for troubleshooing?

Thanks in advance.
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #139  

Thanks, was thinking it might be speed so will have to play with it after the kids go to bed. This thing is so dang touchy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #140  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjenView Post

Thanks in advance.
I find this too, and it is more obvious on smaller shapers circles in particular and it is on my expression but not so much on the o-bug. I think it is a commen problem with Expression (ckewed circles) I think there is a claibrate your cricut feature under one of the menus in scal2, try that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #141  

Thanks, Lindsay. Will look for that. Slowing down the speed helped some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #142  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.....I've found that simple shapes....circles, squares, hearts and rectangles are not exactly symmetrical so you won't get perfect cutouts. I found many of the simple images on early produced cartridges are the same way. Frustrating in some instances.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #143  

Thanks Patti, good to know it's not just me who can't figure out how to properly work this machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #144  
Gallery Gazer

I remember someone on an early Cricut thread had the same problem with a cartridge cutting circle not symmetrical. I'm sorry my memory is shot, KIDS! I can't remember the cartridge or who it was. It was really odd. I think she even had two machines and determined it was the cart. I had the same cart and do remember trying it because I was worried but I didn't have any problems. I've been a lucky one I guess. I haven't had ANY problems with any of my Cricut products. Of course now that I've said that ......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #145  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.....It is not a default of your machines, it's the way the cartridges are designed. The cartridges are designed for them to not cut symmetrical.

I have had both my Cricut and Expression for several years now and even teach the machines. There is nothing wrong with the machines. The cartridges are designed that way.

Perhaps some of the newer cartridges are not that way. I'm talking about the older cartridges like Doodle Charms for instance.

I haven't purchased any new cartridges in about a year. I find the new ones now have many of the same images on them as many of the older ones.

I love the 100+ cartridges I have and they serve my needs for images.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #146  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Ladies.....It is not a default of your machines, it's the way the cartridges are designed. The cartridges are designed for them to not cut symmetrical.

I have had both my Cricut and Expression for several years now and even teach the machines. There is nothing wrong with the machines. The cartridges are designed that way.

Perhaps some of the newer cartridges are not that way. I'm talking about the older cartridges like Doodle Charms for instance.

I haven't purchased any new cartridges in about a year. I find the new ones now have many of the same images on them as many of the older ones.

Patti
I've used George and Basic Shapes for several years to cut out circles, squares, etc.; and they have always been symmetrical. If the image looks symmetrical in the manual, it should be symmetrical when it cuts. Doodlecharms does have asymmetrical shapes, but they look asymmetrical in the manual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #147  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Ladies.....I've found that simple shapes....circles, squares, hearts and rectangles are not exactly symmetrical so you won't get perfect cutouts. I found many of the simple images on early produced cartridges are the same way. Frustrating in some instances.

Patti
Hi Patti,
I know my circles were symmetrical because I designed the set they came from.On the sewing machine card you can see the buttons I cut then stamped. If you look closely you can see a bit of edge where the die cut skewed. I know they were perfectly circles because I deisigned them myself I have heard about this problem with the "e" from a few people, Honestly I think my o-bug cuts better but I lent it to a friend who does not have a cutter along with all of my carts because I have a gypsy. I must say I use SCAL2 95% of the time with SVG and fonts. Thanks goodness I got it before PC bullied them and the other software makers into dropping the cricut compatibility!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #148  
Total Quack

Lindsay - that 'bullying' is exactly why I'm looking at a different machine! I'm sick of the PC arrogance.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #149  
Die Cut Diva

I understand your points ladies. I'm satisfied with how both my Cricut and Expression cut using the cartridges. I only use the Design Studio for designing. I don't have either of those other now defunct programs nor do I want them. The Cricut products suit my needs just fine! I'm a happy crafter camper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #150  
Total Quack

Fortunately, SCAL is in no way 'defunct.' It still works and is still supported by CraftEdge. PC can stop them from releasing updates, but they can't take the program out of my hands or make it cease to function.

I have Cricut Design Studio - and have had it, literally, since the DAY it was released. I have been a very strong supporter of Cricut and Provo Craft for about 6 years. I'm done. In my opinion PC is selfish, controlling, and uncaring. They've heard - over and over and over and over (since the beginning) - about what people wanted added to the design studio and refused to add it. When another company did what PC refused to do, PC bullied them into submission. I will sink no more money into the company.

I DO, however, still have and use an Expression, baby bug, Cricut Design Studio, 35 cartridges, Cuttlebug, Cuttlekids .... AND my SCAL.

We all have to do what works for us and what we think is best for us and our values. I'm VERY glad that the Cricut items suit your needs, but remember that they do not suit everyone's needs - like mine.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #151  

I think with 100+ cartridges, I would not need anything else. Who knew they even had that many! You must have a lovely library. Sadly, I know such an expensive collection will be beyond my reach. The Cricut was a gift and if I'd been asked, I would have said, no thank you because of the ongoing expenses. Just trying to get my sister's money worth out of this toy without going broke myself.

Quote:

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #152  
Die Cut Diva

superjen.....I look at my craft tools as an investment. With some imagination there seems to be no end to what I can create with just what I have.

As has been said, everyone needs to consider their own personal situation as to what they purchase. I try to purchase the craft tools and supplies I feel I can get the best use from.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #153  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
Fortunately, SCAL is in no way 'defunct.' It still works and is still supported by CraftEdge. PC can stop them from releasing updates, but they can't take the program out of my hands or make it cease to function.

I have Cricut Design Studio - and have had it, literally, since the DAY it was released. I have been a very strong supporter of Cricut and Provo Craft for about 6 years. I'm done. In my opinion PC is selfish, controlling, and uncaring. They've heard - over and over and over and over (since the beginning) - about what people wanted added to the design studio and refused to add it. When another company did what PC refused to do, PC bullied them into submission. I will sink no more money into the company.

I DO, however, still have and use an Expression, baby bug, Cricut Design Studio, 35 cartridges, Cuttlebug, Cuttlekids .... AND my SCAL.

We all have to do what works for us and what we think is best for us and our values. I'm VERY glad that the Cricut items suit your needs, but remember that they do not suit everyone's needs - like mine.
Amen Sister! I will continue to use my Cricuts and my other PC things I have bought and paid for but I will no longer by any PC products, there are better place to spend my craft dolars! MyGrafico is giving away a silhouette SD machine BTW, you can cut anything you want, no restrictions! That is what I am going to get when my "E" kicks the bucket! I've seen the cuts from that machine and they are so much nicer too! The Giveaway is on the MyGrafico facebook page under events. It ends on the 30th of june, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #154  
Total Quack

Quote:

Amen Sister! I will continue to use my Cricuts and my other PC things I have bought and paid for but I will no longer by any PC products, there are better place to spend my craft dolars! MyGrafico is giving away a silhouette SD machine BTW, you can cut anything you want, no restrictions! That is what I am going to get when my "E" kicks the bucket! I've seen the cuts from that machine and they are so much nicer too! The Giveaway is on the MyGrafico facebook page under events. It ends on the 30th of june, good luck!

I'm not waiting on my E to croak.... I'm getting an eCraft (unless I win the Silhouette contest!!!) in August or September. I can't continue to sink money into mats and blades from a company I no longer respect. It's a shame, too, because I was such a HUGE Cricut advocate. No longer. The eCrcaft supports SCAL, as well, and CraftEdge has a sale on the bundle right now. Hoping I can get that good of a price when I finally get to order it.

Thanks for telling me about the contest!! I've already entered.

Photography Site

Last edited by Shell; 06-18-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #155  
Glitter Guru

I am unsubbing as I thought this was a thread was where you shared tips and and tricks for cricut lover's but I must have been mistaken.
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #156  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with sami02usc in Post #155. Can we get this forum back to much more positive comments about Cricut products, please?

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #157  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I just bought Groovy Times, and I can't wait to use it on layouts about my childhood/teen years. If you were born in the '60s or '70s, looking through the manual will bring you back a few (yes, a few!) decades to the "good old days."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #158  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I agree with sami02usc in Post #155. Can we get this forum back to much more positive comments about Cricut products, please?

Patti
That is fine by me, I apologize for being a cranky-pants ;) I will still use my cricut (with scal/fairy cut and the handfull of cardts I have-20 on gypsy) and if I don't have something nice to say...well I will keep it to myself!

This is crafting and should be positive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #159  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Cricut and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's made me a lot of extra cash doing Vinyl projects and invites for people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #160  
Insane Embellisher

I have the O-Bug, and the Expression, and a lot of cartridges. I too have reached the point where the new cartridges are starting to be repeats of current images I already have, just a different artist's style.

I had the same problem when I was a hobby demo for SU. I loved being a demo, because I love teaching people how to craft and watching them "get" that they too can do this. I stopped being a demo about 7 years ago and I have enough stamps to cover just about any occasion. Now I get to teach again, within the past year a Joann's opened in town and I'm teaching scrapbooking (paper, stamps, punches, glue, = fun) and a new class "How To Use Your Cricut" (there are some samples on my blog that I use for the class)

I was gifted with the little Cricut, got hooked of course, but with my arthritis I find it easier than my Lovely Old Red Sizzix (which has been gifted to a Kindergarten Teacher along with half my dies). I kept the dies that I didn't have a cut on a cartridge like it.

Positives about the Cricut, for me, I can cut any size I want (granted there are limits based on the machine, all tools have positives and negatives) and in any color I can find or make, pre cut dies come how they come in the package. Great for my hands. I find the Gypsy easier to use than Design Studio, I failed to purchase any of the other programs and that's because I just wasn't paying attention, I kept saying later, later, I can find what I need on cartridges.

The Cricut Cake machine has allowed me to get back into cake decorating which I stopped because of my hands. I figure out the designs for the cake on my Gypsy, then plug it into the cake and cut. Now I can cut fondant like paper, it's fun, and I enjoy making cakes again.

I found an awesome deal on the Yudu machine and my family and I are experimenting with printing shirts for our own use, the Cricut makes this possible because of the ability to make cuts, reverse the image, cut out in vinyl, and then attach to the screen.

I don't have the E2 or the Imagine, and I don't have every single PC product ever made, and I've been acquiring this stuff for a very long time, so long that like my stamps, most of my cartridges are "retired" from production but perfectly useable.

Negatives - space all this stuff takes, money and time invested in purchasing (always on sale, but still money spent), and like all hobbies you got to be sure you love it and that the shopping/hunting/spending doesn't turn into an obsession.

Thanks to the very artistic and talented posters on this site and others, and all the offerings on You-Tube, I have learned so much, I'm trying new products, new styles, new ideas. I appreciate all that I learn about craft supplies and the crafter's who use the product.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Likes