Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creatopia??? I have mixed feelings!

I think this product sounds AWESOME! An ALL IN ONE Machine, but all the extra components REALLY REALLY REALLY add up! What do you all think?

http://www.xyron.com/enUS/Segments/Creatopia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Like you, I would love to have an All in One system....but, I could by several CBs or even BSs PLUS all the components I need for the price of this thing with all the add-ons. AND, since I'm not a scrapper....the 12 thing is not really that important to me. Maybe in a couple of years the price will come down. Great idea, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have mixed feelings about multi-use tools. They are handy if space is very tight, but here it looks like you have different components you have to install depending on what function you are using. I could see where having to swap out those components depending on what I want to do might be time consuming, and there is still a storage issue for all the different parts. And the cost savings don't seem significant.

However - to be fair I will take a look at it when it comes out. It does seem very interesting, but my first impression is that it might not be the machine for me. I hope they are very successful with it though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I use my Slice for cutting, so all I'm really looking at this for would be the embossing. I LOVE that it will emboss a 12" page!! I can't wait to see what they come out with for it. I won't be buying all of the families if I get it. Just the embossing thing. And I have to find room in my scrap space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

After reading some of the reviews of the Creatopia, I am pretty frustrated with Xyron. This machine might be great if you have the space, and don't have machines that perform those functions, but what about fixing your current machine's problems. With the 500 series machines, there is so much waste. Every time you roll something through the machine you have an unused section. Over the life of a cartridge that adds up to a lot of waste. Also, wouldn't it be nice if they had a fabric adhesive cartridge for some of their smaller machines? I know they only want to sell a new machine to everyone, but I wish they would improve their current machines first. Sorry to vent. I really do love my Xyrons, but wish they were without the current frustrating features, and also had the new features.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Xyron machines. I have the X, 2.5 inch and 5 inch ones. I find them to not be all that much of a waste. You just have to use the proper machine for the size of your piece you want to put adhesive on. Also, watch that as soon as it clears the cutting bar, you stop turning the handle and tear off the paper. If you are wanting to run several pieces through the machine (larger machines) lay them side by side so as to get the max use of the paper/adhesive.

The Creatopia sounds like a nice machine if one has the use for the 12 inch wide area. Also it appears important from looking at the videos that you hold your project to guide it through the rollers or it will move around. Not sure I go for the embossing part as it's only a border and very limited choices to emboss. Large machine needs space for storage and for all the various cartidges. If one has use for all the various features, it would be a good deal. I would also be interested in knowing how long the material is on each cartridge. They seem rather expensive per cartridge.

For now, I think I will stick with my Xyron machines. I'm not ready to part with them anytime too soon.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I saw it on HSN, and I have to say that I wasn't impressed. To be honest, the whole thing looks kind of flimsy to me. And all those attachments that you have to snap in and out might be not only time-consuming, but also open up the possibility of things breaking. Like the previous poster, I was also concerned that the demonstrator had to hold the paper in place with a "stabilizer bar." I think I'll stick with my BK and my Cricut E. (The 12 x 12 embossing plates do sound cool, though.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I watched the videos and asked myself, how will I carry all of those components to crops?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the idea of embossing a full 12x12 paper quickly. I have been waiting for a product to do this. It looks like the Creatopia is using 2 rollers to do this, and I am afraid the choices will be hearts or stars that go with the borders they were showing. Pretty limiting on what projects you can use them with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

How "convenient" this machine could be....an all in one. But man the space you would have to have to store everything. That's a lot. I have a BS and several Xyron machine's and I'll stick with what I have. If I feel the need to emboss a whole sheet of 12x12 I'll do it some way or buy a sheet already embossed.

And ANNIE On the waste issue with Xyron, I AGREE!! The X and 500 series has a lot of waste no matter how you do it and that aggravates me. I love Xyron but there are some area's that really need to be fine tuned.

I would love to hear from someone who has one and tell us what they think. I'm sure we will hear soon.:-D

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I think some people may be confused about the embossing feature on this machine. It is not a 12x12 inch embossing on the paper. It's only a strip that goes down one side, then you move the paperaround to another edge or switch the embossing cartridge to the other side to do a strip down the other side of the paper. It also appears there are 2 choices of designs at this time for the embossing. Also, from the video, it appears that you do have to hold the paper so it feeds through straight in the machine as it is rolled through. The Stabilizer bar seems to work some, but they are still holding/guiding the paper in the video. I do like the cutting blade, that would save a lot of waste. Tearing off the paper in the other machines does waste a bit of paper since it has to clear the cutting teeth by an inch or so before you can tear it off.

I'm not impressed by it at this time. Too many parts to it, cost and as others have said, where/how do you store all these parts?

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I think some people may be confused about the embossing feature on this machine. It is not a 12x12 inch embossing on the paper. It's only a strip that goes down one side, then you move the paperaround to another edge or switch the embossing cartridge to the other side to do a strip down the other side of the paper. It also appears there are 2 choices of designs at this time for the embossing. Also, from the video, it appears that you do have to hold the paper so it feeds through straight in the machine as it is rolled through. The Stabilizer bar seems to work some, but they are still holding/guiding the paper in the video. I do like the cutting blade, that would save a lot of waste. Tearing off the paper in the other machines does waste a bit of paper since it has to clear the cutting teeth by an inch or so before you can tear it off.

I'm not impressed by it at this time. Too many parts to it, cost and as others have said, where/how do you store all these parts?

Thanks for the clarification. I did not understand at first. I even saw the video, LOL!

Patti

Thanks for the clarification. I did not understand at first. I even saw the video, LOL!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not impressed at all with the Creatopia, especially when considering how much all the "parts" and refills will cost.

Would rather spend the money on other crafting supplies and tools (including new design cards for my slice : )

And last, but not least, I simply do no have room for a machine that size, nor all the pieces that you need to do the various things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
After reading some of the reviews of the Creatopia, I am pretty frustrated with Xyron. This machine might be great if you have the space, and don't have machines that perform those functions, but what about fixing your current machine's problems. With the 500 series machines, there is so much waste. Every time you roll something through the machine you have an unused section. Over the life of a cartridge that adds up to a lot of waste. Also, wouldn't it be nice if they had a fabric adhesive cartridge for some of their smaller machines? I know they only want to sell a new machine to everyone, but I wish they would improve their current machines first. Sorry to vent. I really do love my Xyrons, but wish they were without the current frustrating features, and also had the new features.
I agree!!! If I were just starting out, I would probably jump at this machine. Especially because it requires no cords! But I already have machines that do most of these things. And unless you are a 12x12 scrapper, there is just no need for that much machine (I have the 12x12 Cricut but you can control the waste on that machine).

I emailed Xyron about the fabric adhesive and making it available for the 5 or 9 inch machines. I'll let everyone know what they say. I would love to have that option, and would buy it in bulk, lol!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I've watched the relevant videos on You tube and I 'm not impressed: too bulky, too many components, toilsome handling (push this, take that out, insert this...) and the plastic seems too cheap to me. I definitely wouldn't buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

I am not impressed either and while I ma a 12 x 12 scrapper, I can say I have never said "Gee I wish this entire 12 x 12 was embossed" . I usually only emboss certain elements on my page or part of the background. Too much money to invest in all the parts and too much to store. I would also love the fabric adhesive for the 5in xyron!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.....You can run fabric through the X, 2.5, 5 and 9 inch Xyrons. Run it through just the same as you would paper. I do it frequently. I use a cotton/poly blend fabric that has a bit of stiffener in it. Works fine for me. I run ribbon through each machine also.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Ladies.....You can run fabric through the X, 2.5, 5 and 9 inch Xyrons. Run it through just the same as you would paper. I do it frequently. I use a cotton/poly blend fabric that has a bit of stiffener in it. Works fine for me. I run ribbon through each machine also.

Patti
Thanks, Patti! I read this and thought DUH! I too run ribbon through my Xyron, but have never thought of trying fabric! I gotta give it a try and see what I think. Thanks for the tip!
Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

do you think any fabric would work? Felt? I never thought of it. I wonder what the difference is for the fabric adhesive. Maybe it is washable. But, honestly, if you are going to sew over it, applique or whatever, then it wouldn't matter...hmm.

Never thought of it, but going to try it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I think some people may be confused about the embossing feature on this machine. It is not a 12x12 inch embossing on the paper. It's only a strip that goes down one side, then you move the paperaround to another edge or switch the embossing cartridge to the other side to do a strip down the other side of the paper.
Actually, I think you might be a bit confused. There are boarder embossing rollers that I believe are 3 inches that can be positioned at various places on the page and then there are 12 inch rollers that will, in fact, emboss an entire 12 inch page. I don't think that Xyron has released the 12 inch rollers yet, but I have seem them as coming soon items on several sites.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ok, I just received this gem in the mail....and couldn't wait to break into the FABRIC ADHESIVE.....LOVE THAT!
Here is a link to a project that I did that is all fabric but NO sewing.
I have to play with the other components now....but I don't want to take the fabric adhesive out yet (so many ideas!)....lol!
http://sherrie-cardcreme.blogspot.co...rab-cuppa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC SherrieView Post
Ok, I just received this gem in the mail....and couldn't wait to break into the FABRIC ADHESIVE.....LOVE THAT!
Here is a link to a project that I did that is all fabric but NO sewing.
I have to play with the other components now....but I don't want to take the fabric adhesive out yet (so many ideas!)....lol!
http://sherrie-cardcreme.blogspot.co...rab-cuppa.html
Ohhhhhhhhhh now that is sweet!!!:-D

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I have put my bigshot up for sale and if ~~ it sells will but one, I do lots of scrapbooking and really like the scallop cutting edge, and the score tool. I did think about the dreamcutz and this would cut more sizes and also the sticker maker can to upto 5" thick... they just showed it on the TV.

I really like the idea of being able to change a cartridge to use the die cutter and It means I will need the extended cutting plate for the die for the matchbox just the but not for the extended platefor for the sizzlet long ones.
Reply With Quote Likes