Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cream or Ivory?

I'm looking for a good light cream or ivory card stock. Which is lighter in color, cream or ivory? And based on which one is lighter in color, do you have any recommendations on brands and where to purchase? I'd prefer to get it through Amazon as I'm a prime member but overall I just want a good cream/ivory card stock. And I'd have to order it since I don't have any craft stores close by. There's some cards that white just doesn't cut it... Thank you!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my mind, 'cream' denotes a slightly yellower tint, but not necessarily lighter or darker than ivory. Personally I love Stampin Up's Very Vanilla color -- but of course it is not available on Amazon. I think it is a great off-white / cream / ivory by whatever name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Via natural 80 lb. smooth cover card stock. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...over+cardstock

I just looked it up on Amazon. We use this at our print shop for all the cream invitations and business cards that we make. I use it for my card bases and stamping. I think of ivory as being yellower than cream. Classic Crest natural white is another good name to look for but is more expensive.

Last edited by arlenevita; 06-27-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, I like the Neenah Classic Crest classic natural white. Matches SU vanilla. Not yellowish.

In the Classic Crest the ivory and cream are really close in color and both are yellowish. That may not be the case in other brands.

That Via looks interesting, Arlene.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad this was asked, because I have been making do with a big ream of 110 lb. stuff from the office supply store that is called "ivory" but really, it's yellow. I'm sure many of you can picture what I mean -- that business-supply paper and envelope shade of "ivory."

It doesn't bother me so much with envelopes, but when I see lovely cards people have made with an ivory base and then I try to do a similar colour scheme with my stuff... blech, it looks "curdled." The Classic Crest Natural White is exactly what I'd like, but price is a factor, especially as I'm in Canada and shipping adds an extra kick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yeah, that office store "ivory" leaves a bit to be desired, doesn't it!

Tell me...is the shipping that stores charge to ship up there any different than shipping that a person would be charged to ship to you?
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try the Recollections 110# ivory from Michaels. Its a great card for bases and with a coupon its a reasonable price (especially for us Canadians). Its a nicer weight that SU or Neenah (I have both as well). The only thing I find is that it doesn't colour as nice as Neenah with copics - but that might just be me - so I usually only use it for bases or if I'm going to use oms & pencil crayons. to colour with (on the white 110# that is ). Michaels has the 110# in white, ivory, & black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the Recollection ivory card stock and it is the perfect color. My problem is that it won't go through my printer so if I want to use it as a card base, I can't computer print my sentiment. Has anybody else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainykayView Post
I bought the Recollection ivory card stock and it is the perfect color. My problem is that it won't go through my printer so if I want to use it as a card base, I can't computer print my sentiment. Has anybody else had this problem?
Same thing with the Neenah. Although I might try the layering weight in my printer sometime...and layer a panel on the inside of the card.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Yeah, that office store "ivory" leaves a bit to be desired, doesn't it!

Tell me...is the shipping that stores charge to ship up there any different than shipping that a person would be charged to ship to you?

You know, I'm not sure of the facts on that, but I do thank you for thinking of that approach and asking. It may well be that when a company is shipping a product, it's clearly "goods" being "imported" and therefore subject to duty, additional taxes whereas an unremarkable parcel might not be?? As for the shipping completely by itself, I don't know. Interestingly, for Canadians it seems to cost more for us to ship parcels even to each other within Canada than the shipping charge from a Canadian company.
As an example: my sister wanted to buy an item online and thought the shipping was high (she doesn't shop online much) so she asked me to buy it at their brick & mortar store in my city and mail it to her. The postage cost me at least 1 1/2 times what the company's shipping rate was, and without the added layers of tracking, insurance, etc. For an item about the size of a kleenex box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Try the Recollections 110# ivory from Michaels. Its a great card for bases and with a coupon its a reasonable price (especially for us Canadians). Its a nicer weight that SU or Neenah (I have both as well). The only thing I find is that it doesn't colour as nice as Neenah with copics - but that might just be me - so I usually only use it for bases or if I'm going to use oms & pencil crayons. to colour with (on the white 110# that is ). Michaels has the 110# in white, ivory, & black.
Wow, I had no idea, Cat Woman! I've never noticed that particular paper in Michaels before. Is it in with the various multi-colour packs they sell of the Recollections cardstocks? Is it labelled as being a heavier weight? I ask only because the multi-colour packs seem to be more of a layering weight, so I assume this is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I print my sentiment on good quality linen paper and attach it as an insert to my cards . I use 1/8" Scor tape to attach the insert at the fold so the card opens easily .
With 110# base, a layered front and the printed insert the cards look "posh" LOL
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

At my store, the 110 pound Recollections paper is up on the top shelf above all the other packages of cardstock. It's hard to distinguish the difference but it is marked on the front as being 110 pound. I had to really look close to notice them. But then there's only the three...white, ivory, and black. They just kinda got lost in all the packages.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
As an example: my sister wanted to buy an item online and thought the shipping was high (she doesn't shop online much) so she asked me to buy it at their brick & mortar store in my city and mail it to her. The postage cost me at least 1 1/2 times what the company's shipping rate was, and without the added layers of tracking, insurance, etc. For an item about the size of a kleenex box.
My husband found the same thing yesterday. UPS shipping on a box from Cabelas was between 7 and 8 dollars. Return shipping was the same. But when that item was defective and we had to actually pay the return shipping it was over 14 dollars. I think businesses often negotiate reduced rates for volume.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
My husband found the same thing yesterday. UPS shipping on a box from Cabelas was between 7 and 8 dollars. Return shipping was the same. But when that item was defective and we had to actually pay the return shipping it was over 14 dollars. I think businesses often negotiate reduced rates for volume.
Yes, I think that's exactly it. They (the business) are a high-volume customer of the post office/shipper/etc. so it's quite different for us as walk-up individuals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Wow, I had no idea, Cat Woman! I've never noticed that particular paper in Michaels before. Is it in with the various multi-colour packs they sell of the Recollections cardstocks? Is it labelled as being a heavier weight? I ask only because the multi-colour packs seem to be more of a layering weight, so I assume this is different.
I usually see it with all the other multi-colour packs. The store I usually go to only has a couple packs of white and ivory out at a time and the black is usually out of stock, so it may be a hit or miss for the black in your store. It will say 110lb on the package, so make sure you grab the right one. Be sure to use a coupon. Its $19.99 a pack in Canada. I still choke at $12 (after the coupon) a pack for paper, but it is what it is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think ivory is more off white and cream has a yellower hue. only cos I think of wedding dresses. white for pure, ivory for not so much!! lol!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

I use Gina K Ivory when I want a more yelow-toned one, and Papertrey Ink Vintage Cream when I want a less yellow / more off-white tone. Love both of them, especially for cardbases as they are good weights.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gina K Heavy base weight and layering weight both are great for ivory. Use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You may have done this already, but if not.... Check out the settings on your printer. I actually have a setting for cardstock. That, plus manually feeding the paper through will work with most cardstock for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't get 110lb cardstock through my printer either, it just jams. But the Recollection matches the Nina paper very well, so I print on the 80lb and attach to the 110lb, but you get a very thick card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I can use the Recollection card stock in 80# in my printer, so sometimes I print on that and use it as a layer on the 110#. Hope I'm making sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

The recollections 110 gets another thumbs from me. It sells for $ 12.99 reg minus the 50% off coupon in the u.s. Ask me I know lol. So fellow Canadians if you know someone going south ask for a favour of them if they are a good friend.

I finally figured out after wintering in the south that Michaels regular price is what we pay after our 40% discount exactly. So we are paying after our coupon what they pay normally. So I will take advantage of those higher priced items when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes