Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAYOLA MARKERS

Is anyone using crayola markers instead of the name brands like Copic, Marvy, Tombow? What are some techniques to use these cheaper ones? Does it work? I wanted Marvy brush markers but I am really trying to get something that will work for even cheaper. I'm on a tight budget. Would love views and ideals , Pros, Cons. Thanks Kei ([email protected])
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

i have 6 sets of the marvy le plume II i'd love to get rid of - i'd take half price for them - just PM me. as for crayolas i don't know how those would work but i remember hearing that bic markits could achieve great blending.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I wouldn't use Crayola markers if I were you. You will not get the results you want and they are cheap for a reason, they are cheaply made. As an art teacher with a very tight budget, I only buy them to fill in my stash of more expensive markers when I am desperate. However, I love to take the tips out of the holder and soak them in water, they make beautiful liquid watercolor paints.

A day hemmed in prayer will not unravel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Definitely the Bics. You can get them at SAMS for 11 or 12 bucks for a set of 36.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEI PETERSENView Post
Is anyone using crayola markers instead of the name brands like Copic, Marvy, Tombow? What are some techniques to use these cheaper ones? Does it work? I wanted Marvy brush markers but I am really trying to get something that will work for even cheaper. I'm on a tight budget. Would love views and ideals , Pros, Cons. Thanks Kei ([email protected])
I have some Marvys (2 sets) if you would like them. I would mail them to you at no cost. I don't use them anymore. PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Default bic markers

How do you use the bic markers ? Can you blend with a blender , put on your stamps, or just use them to color items?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I use the Crayola markers. I bought them when I first started out. I bought an enormous pack at Walmart. Very cheap. I still use them. And the Bics. You will get two very different results. Actually I like them better than the Bics. They don't soak through the cardstock. The Crayolas are water based, and the Bics, Copics & Prismas are alcohol based . Big difference. But I really do like the results that I get with them. But, the colors can't be blended ( but neither can the Bics easily ). There is such a spectrum of colors, and on small area's I think they are quite satisfactory. Besides, you can get the whole pack for less than $6.

I will never be able to justify spending alot of money on Copics. So, I got the 36 pack of Bics - but they just don't have any good skin tones, so I bought about 3 different individual Prismacolor makers just for skin. Now, I think I'm set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

ILdson76,
What a generous offer, WOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I have bought the fibracolor markers.....for now as I do have copics.....but I am buying tose slowly. The fibracolor markers I got 100 for under $15.00 with coupon at M's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

the crayola markers work well to color right on your stamp (instead of using an inkpad), so you get multicolored stamped images.
i also like to use the caps (on closed markers) as a stamp, it makes a great little open circle.
crayolas are pretty cheap, very readily available, and come in many colors. they are an ok marker to work with. i personally really like crayola's products
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEI PETERSENView Post
How do you use the bic markers ? Can you blend with a blender , put on your stamps, or just use them to color items?
Bic MarkIt markers are ALCOHOL based just like the Primsacolor markers and copic markers.

Do NOT use then on your rubber stamps. It is not good for the rubber. You canot use the alcohol blender pen with the Bic Markers in the SAME way that you use a WATERbased blender pen.

WATERBASED BLENDER PENShelp to actually BLEND color to achieve a watercolor effect.

ALCOHOLBASED BLENDER PENS really erase mistakes. The name "BLENDER" is very misleading in case of an ACOHOL based blender pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LONG before Copics I would blend with Crayolas. I would use the fine point crayolas and a tiny drop of water. I'd put the lighter color down (yellow) then I'd get the tip of a second color wet (like orange) and blend it into the first. You can't go over it too much or the paper will pill, and only some colors work well. thinking back on the struggle makes me shudder now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

i love crayolas products, but the markers are satisfactory for large areas of coloring. bics do work better, but don't expect the results you would get from copics. i don't own copics either, and probably never will... if you're looking for a way to color seamlessly and be able to blend, why not try colored pencils? prismacolor pencils are the best, but i use koh-i-noor, because it's cheaper and you can use a coupon at michael's. i also like the feel of the heavier all lead pencil. i did have one break though. :( i also use goo gone to blend with a blending stump. the results are wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Yes, I use the Crayola markers. I bought them when I first started out. I bought an enormous pack at Walmart. Very cheap. I still use them. And the Bics. You will get two very different results. Actually I like them better than the Bics. They don't soak through the cardstock. The Crayolas are water based, and the Bics, Copics & Prismas are alcohol based . Big difference. But I really do like the results that I get with them. But, the colors can't be blended ( but neither can the Bics easily ). There is such a spectrum of colors, and on small area's I think they are quite satisfactory. Besides, you can get the whole pack for less than $6.

I will never be able to justify spending alot of money on Copics. So, I got the 36 pack of Bics - but they just don't have any good skin tones, so I bought about 3 different individual Prismacolor makers just for skin. Now, I think I'm set.
You're my kind of gal, Sewnmachine. This is essentially the system I've worked out for coloring, and I'm pretty happy with it.

The Bics and Sharpies are such bright intense colors, which I like, but sometimes you do need the pale pastels, too. I went to Hobby Lobby a week at a time with a coupon, and got a few Copics one at a time in the paler colors. I got a pale green, pale pink, pale blue, and pale lavender/purple. Oh, and I also got a light tan color.

I have a huge set of Crayola markers, and a Roseart set I got really cheap also. I can combine all the colors to get the effect I want. I don't actually "blend" the colors, but I'm happy with the look of "shading" with the lighter and darker colors.

I'm really happy I didn't have to spend upwards of $300 on my system.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I do use Crayolas but not directly to the paper. I like to scribble off some color onto a craft mat and then pick up some of the color with a water pen and watercolor with them. They have some pretty vibrant colors that I just don't get with my set of watercolors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

i m also selling some marvy brushes asweell as le plumes. email me if ur interested

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes