Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Pads vs. Classic Pad

Should I invest in the Craft Pads? Wondering if I should use the Craft Pad instead of the Class Pad for scrapping. Any advice?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default craft pad

spelling typo - classic pads or craft for scrapbooks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am interested in the response to this question as well. I have all of the classic pads and some of the craft pads. I know that the craft pads are used because they stay moist longer and so can be embossed, but I noticed in a lot of credits that craft pads are used just for regular card stamping instead of classic when no other techniques are used. I would love to hear why you prefer the craft to the classic. Thanks so much.

-- Bridget
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the classic pads in my scrapbooks. Since scrapbooks are kept closed when no one is looking at them... not much sunlight gets to them and therefore fading doesn't seem to be a problem. I like how the classic inks dry so fast compared to the craft ones. And of course the classics are acid free, so they're just as safe to use as the craft.
Well, that's my opinion!
Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is my understanding...and I have not seen this yet myself...that the Classic ink because it is dye ink, not pigment ink has more of a tendency to fade. The Classic (dye) ink will apparently fade quickly especially for the Soft Subtles colors...Because of this, the Craft (pigment) Ink would be better for scrapbooking. Again, I have not seen this myself, but understand that friends of mine have. Apparently in a closed book this fading of the dye ink is still very apparent.

Hope that this helps...

-Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I prefer Classic Pads because I dont' have the patience to wait for the Craft Pads to dry. HOWEVER, if you want to be able to emboss in all colors, the Craft Pads are PERFECT for embossing !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 02:52 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Craft vs. Classic

If you use Craft for Scrapbook and don't want to wait for it to dry, use the heat gun. I use both Craft and Classic. I hadn't thought much about the fading. I don't think I want my cards fading either. I keep extras on hand and they haven't faded. I had given my realtor a card she loved. I noticed she had it displayed in her office and guess what? It had faded a great deal. I may be switching to Craft only. I will probably let my Classic run their course (wear out).

Thanks for discussing this.

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 03:26 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Classic Pads are my favorite, for scrapbooking and card making. I have both and head for the Classics most all the time. I have used them in my books and none of my pages have yet to fade. Now this is only after about four years. I don't leave the books open and the sunlight does not get to them. I wouldn't leave them open in the sunlight no matter which pads I used.

I do think that the soft subtles tend to fade in the classics, but I seldom use them. I go for the more vibrant colors.

I think it all boils down to which you like best .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 03:39 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I am a demo and I've done a few craft fairs this fall and I noticed that a lot of my samples have faded a great bit.

I use classic inks for cards and other crafts. If I'm doing something that will be displayed I will use craft inks.

As for scrapbooking, I'm switching over to craft. I'm going to tell my customers the difference as well and let them decide. My customers know to keep their scrapbooks closed and out of direct sunlight, but if they are working on a special heirloom etc album, I strongly recommend craft ink.

A lot of demos I know don't like craft pads much at all, but I would rather err on the side of overly cautious.

Just my opinions...
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 03:46 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use classic ink in my scrapbooks and they have not faded yet. Sunlight is the main culprit in fading and as long as you keep your scrapbooks closed, they will not fade enough for you to perceve it.

Some colors are more fugitive (susceptible to fading) than others; you'll notice this in the cardstock particularly. Ballet Blue, Almost Amethyst, Lavendar Lace, Lovely Lilac and Marvellous Magenta are the ones that I've noticed fade even in low light. Your cardstock is going to fade even if your ink doesn't...I figure this way, at least they match! And I journal in pigment ink now so I know that won't fade and that's the most important thing.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 04:45 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Default craft gets my vote

Craft pads always get my vote. I don't always like the extended drying time, but heat setting takes care of that. I love them because I can emboss with them. BUT, I was following a recent thread that suggested stamping in versamark and following it with the classic ink if you want to emboss and don't have the craft color that you need. It works, but not as well. My advice would be to try a few and decide for yourself. I started out buying only classic because they were less expensive, but seem to have been buying only craft pads over the last several months. Just my 2 cents worth!

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I have switched over to craft pads in my scrapbooks. I prefer classic for the quick dry time but I like the fade resistent properties of the craft pads. I also like that the lighter colors of craft pads will show up on darker card stock. I actually stamped with Blush Blossom craft pad on Basic Black card stock. You couldn't do that with the classic pads.

I tell my customers that both are safe for scrapbooking but craft pads are fade resistent as well. I let them decide what they will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 06:33 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
I use classic ink in my scrapbooks and they have not faded yet. Sunlight is the main culprit in fading and as long as you keep your scrapbooks closed, they will not fade enough for you to perceve it.

Some colors are more fugitive (susceptible to fading) than others; you'll notice this in the cardstock particularly. Ballet Blue, Almost Amethyst, Lavendar Lace, Lovely Lilac and Marvellous Magenta are the ones that I've noticed fade even in low light. Your cardstock is going to fade even if your ink doesn't...I figure this way, at least they match! And I journal in pigment ink now so I know that won't fade and that's the most important thing.
JAN!!!! Do you think if I left my Bliss Blue card stock out in the window, it would fade enough to be more like the original Bliss Blue I loved so much (I intensely dislike current Bliss Blue . . . not pale enough)?????????
Reply With Quote Likes