Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile copics vs SU markers

Can someone tell me the difference between Copic markers and the SU set. I hear gals raving about Copics. What makes then so special? I'm going to start buying markers, should I get SU or Copic?? Right now I'm just using old generic markers we had around the house. I recently bought 2 SU markers and I do like them a lot. Are Copics only avavilable to buy on line? Cost wise how do the 2 different brands measure up. Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

go to the gallery and do a search for "copic" and you will see lots of examples where people have used their copics. You can do some really nice coloring with them- but the downside is it takes a lot of work (and practice). I bought the prismacolor markers which I was told are similar to the copics and I can't quite get the hang of how to get them to look right. I am sure some copic experts will be posting with a good answer any minute now.

For me, I go back to my SU! markers b/c they are easy... but I will never get the same look with them as I could get with the copics.

And the only place in town here that carries them is Hobby Lobby and they do go on sale 40% off from time to time. They cost about 4.50 each (I think) regular price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellytheMommyView Post
For me, I go back to my SU! markers b/c they are easy... but I will never get the same look with them as I could get with the copics.
I think Julie Buhler did a great tutorial, and helped show us how we can use those Su markers to get a result rather similar to copics. Here's the link: Paper Pleasing Ideas

Cheap Therapy
My Stamp/Scrap/Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the link... I am off to check it out right now.

I am so frustrated with the prismas that I am contemplating getting rid of them alltogether. I wish I knew if I were getting a bad result b/c the markers aren't as good as the copics or if it's just me, lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

SU markers are water based, Copics are alcohol based. You cannot color directly on stamps with Copics, as you can with SU!. Copics are beautiful for coloring in images- they blend perfectly with no noticeable lines. I have the full set of SU! and wouldn't trade them for the world, but I love Copics for image coloring. They are very pricey, so I buy a few at a time.

If you want to get all the SU! markers, I suggest you join a marker club through a demo- the easiest way to get all of them that is easy on your budget!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I really like SU Markers for direct to rubber. HOWEVER, the quality of the coloring you can get with copics is unmatched by any marker that I have found.

There are a lot of threads on this subject if you search SU markers/copics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Copic vs Stamin Up

Hey Gals,
Thanks for the info and thread location! I have to read about. My first impression is to buy SU since I'm not really very artistic. I do want to be able to color directly on the stamps too. It kinda sounds like Copics are good if you are really truely, artisitc - which I'm not. I live literally 3 minutes from Hobby Lobby, so maybe I'll start collecting a few Copics here & there w/the 40% coupons. Thnaks again for the info ladies!
Cottagegirl - Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottagegirlView Post
Hey Gals,
Thanks for the info and thread location! I have to read about. My first impression is to buy SU since I'm not really very artistic. I do want to be able to color directly on the stamps too. It kinda sounds like Copics are good if you are really truely, artisitc - which I'm not. I live literally 3 minutes from Hobby Lobby, so maybe I'll start collecting a few Copics here & there w/the 40% coupons. Thnaks again for the info ladies!
Cottagegirl - Jane
I really like my Su markers because I do a lot of color to stamp and the Su markers are refillable which is great for me. I have been using them for a long time.

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebeartView Post
I really like SU Markers for direct to rubber. HOWEVER, the quality of the coloring you can get with copics is unmatched by any marker that I have found.

There are a lot of threads on this subject if you search SU markers/copics
I have tried the Copics, and I do not like the coloring with them at all! I prefer the watercolor look, with the vibrance of the markers. It all depends on the look you are going for. Copics are good for no lines, but so are SU markers, if you use the right paper. I have no lines when coloring with my SU markers on almost anything but whisper white and very vanilla. On watercolor paper, you can take away ink, just like you can with the Copics colorless marker.

I wouldn't say it is unmatched, it is just the look some prefer. I would wholeheartedly say that Jeanne, Sherry, Debbie, and a few other really blow the coloring outta the water, but it is not my favorite. This is not intended to offend you, just to let you know m opinion.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 433 Likes on 165 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottagegirlView Post
Hey Gals,
Cottagegirl - Jane

I love the copics for coloring and the SU markers for the color on rubber things. I have become very frustrated with the way my SU markers are fraying on the tips. I'm using the same plan you have in mind, getting a few everytime they are on sale. I have collected about 30 of them so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneejul1View Post
I have tried the Copics, and I do not like the coloring with them at all! I prefer the watercolor look, with the vibrance of the markers. It all depends on the look you are going for. Copics are good for no lines, but so are SU markers, if you use the right paper. I have no lines when coloring with my SU markers on almost anything but whisper white and very vanilla. On watercolor paper, you can take away ink, just like you can with the Copics colorless marker.

I wouldn't say it is unmatched, it is just the look some prefer. I would wholeheartedly say that Jeanne, Sherry, Debbie, and a few other really blow the coloring outta the water, but it is not my favorite. This is not intended to offend you, just to let you know m opinion.
I am so with you on this. Thank you for saying it for me. I have 4 copics (red, green. black, and yellow) so I could test them. They were nice but not worth the cost. I read the tutorials and this past week nd I bought a couple more colors that I could blend and a blender pen. I played with them and no thanks, I'll stick with SU! and Marvy Brush markers. Love others work but I just don't feel the need to replace my other markers that I lilke.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneejul1View Post

Thanks for your tutorial on your blog! Yesterday I tried it out and on the first try I was happy with my result! I cannot express how excited I am... I have been trying and trying with the prismacolor and copic markers to no avail. I mean, the coloring I did yesterday wasn't like some of the awesome talent here on SCS but it was good enough for me!

I will be getting rid of my prismacolor and copic markers and sticking with the SU! ones.
Reply With Quote Likes