Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, Hobby Lobby doesn't accept competitor coupons. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a couple of those six packs with hobby Lobby 40% coupons.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

My addiction surfaced again this week. Since Michael's had the 45% off total purchase of fine art paint, pastels and markers, I had to get more. Thursday I made a list of 5 out of the ones I needed with a back up list of 5 in case any of any of my first 5 were unavailable. Ended up buying all 10. Hey, at $6.99 each x 45% off = $4.08 each. THEN I WENT BACK FRIDAY with another list of 10! 20 markers in 2 days! If I get out today I may end up buying more before the coupon expires! Luckily there are only 10 more available at Michael's that I need. I need help!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Michael's sells the Copic Sketch in a very limited selection - 60 colors I think.
That is so funny, if something else had 60 colors we would think it was a lot of colors.

I bought a few Copics at the CKC in March (?) and found out I wasn't happy because I needed more (and more, and more). I was obsessed with them and finally I had to put them away and not use them at all. If I ever find a paying job I'll no doubt end up buying all of them. Since I can't use them with my SU cards I can't justify buying them right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Somebody told me they are going to come out with even more colors next year too! Because my wish list isn't long enough, LOL!

I started collecting the sketch but since I started A Muse I have fallen in love with the Originals. The good thing is that A Muse didn't raise their price in August like everyone else so with my consultant discount I get them for cheaper than you can buy them at Oozak!

I switched the chisel tip out with the brush tip on some of them and now I have the perfect marker (brush on one end, fine point on the other) The brush tips are a little different on the originals--they are shorter and not as "floppy"
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #45  
Glitter Queen

I have read all of these posts chuckling more and more i as read on. When i first heard about copics a couple of years ago, i said no way am i paying that much for some markers! Then started seeing more stuff people were doing. I decided, lets take a class and see what the hype is all about, after all they are just markers. Oh boy, what a big mistake. I don't know what my count is but i have mostly sketch and i have atleast half of the markers. I am like everybody else, i think i have enough then i see someother colors and i say, oooohhhh thats pretty, i like that. its very scary! I have sucked some of my scrapbook buddies in to this obsession as well. Better to have friends in rehab than to go to rehab alone :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

OMG Copics are an Industry! It isn't just the markers , it is refills, paper, how to books and storage systems.
I and several of us just assembled a Copic storage box (that Helen and Terri showed us how to do) using a Satchel Art Bin and ceiling light grid. :cool:

I just bought a book on Color Theory.
If some one would have told me even two years ago I would be scouring the book store for how to art books I would have told them they were nuts. I never did any art .

Not to mention the stamps. Now I look at any stamps and ask myself how it well color with my Copics.
I looked at the La Blanche stamp images and they are lovely, but they have too many line details to color well with Copics so I didn't buy any of them .

And the more I use my Copics the more I love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

I know what you mean about looking at stamps differently. I look at stamps in a new light. I don't even really look at solid stamps anymore.

A friend gave me a nice suggestion for storing our copics. We are using the photo storage case from Iris. It has 18 boxes inside that are meant to hold 4x6 photos. Sadly i have two now, but i love it because i can store them by color family. now i need to label them so i know what family and what number range fits in each box. In my second box i have only used about 5 so far for the markers so i have started putting my refills in there as well. I only have a few refills so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
Ha! That's exactly why I have yet to purchase my first Copic. I'm scared I'll have to get a second or third job to get them all........
Me too! I still have alllll those Tombo markers that I never use anymore, because now I have things I like better.

I do still have a few Tria markers. I bought them when I was writing on an article for Somerset on alcohol inks. I was using the bottles of refill ink, but thought the markers would be fun to experiment with. You know what? That was in 2002 and those things are not dried out at all. I still use them with prismacolor pencils.

It's like that with lots of products ya know. A few years ago punches were all the rage and I bought several. Now those die cut machine thingys are all the rage, and I am not going to buy one of those either....at least I don't think I will! lol

Last edited by sc magnolia; 08-30-2011 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

I can definitely see how trends come and go, and it is foolish to stock up on them.
However, as long as we do stamping I think any of the coloring methods we like will stay around. I can't imagine Prismacolors going out of style either

Tombows/ SU markers can be used as water colors by scribbling the marker on an acrylic block and picking up the color with a damp brush to paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
What kills me is that I have soooo many colors. . . yet somehow never have the one I need!
I learned at a crop I attended this weekend that you can change the way a color looks by coloring over it with the lightest warm grey. I haven't tried it yet, but I would assume blending over the top with any of the other light neutral colors would do the same thing.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

It is indeed a slippery slope; however, the markers last an incredibly long time and can be refilled. I find the best price at carpediemstore.com. Prior to their price increase on August 1, Sketch markers were $3.95 with free shipping for $50 order. The prices now are Sketch $5.24, Ciao $3.59, and Original $5.25. Free shipping on Sketch and Ciao orders of $50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Default Copics-Which version to buy?

I haven't bought any yet, but I am thinking: Do I want Original, Sketch or Ciao? Does any one have an opinion about this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a good place to start reading about the difference in the Copic line of markers: Markers | COPICMARKER.COM

Ciao are the cheapest. They also have the least amount of ink and the fewest color choices (180). Some people don't like these because they are round and tend to roll away from you, off tables, etc. It has the "super brush" (a basic marker tip, not good for writing, which you can replace if it gets smooshed) and "medium broad" (chunky like a highlighter) nibs.

Original have the most ink. They come in 214 colors. A lot of people prefer these because they can take a wide variety of nibs, including very narrow for tight coloring places or writing.

Sketch has medium ink, comes in the most colors (346), and the same nibs at the Ciao (a chunky and a replaceable Super Brush). The advantage to these markers is they will also fit in the Copic air gun, in case you decide to go that direction.

I went with Sketch thinking that it might be fun to play with the air gun. Looking back, that was a dumb idea. The air refills are costly and compressors are expensive, clunky and heavy. If I had to do it all over, I'd probably have gone with the original and if I wanted to get into the air stuff later, then I'd have purchased whatever Sketch marker I wanted to use as a background ... probably a sky blue or grass green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

well, if you use them, then I think they are good. I use mine every day. I don't get them unless I want those colors and I don't get the refills until I need them. I post projects on the blog everyday and about 99% of them are done in copics now. Yep, it's like a drug, but at least better than most drugs i know. (which is sad as I do know and see some REAL addicts, and I mean real addicts, so given the choice, I would rather be addicted to copics than drugs, alcohol, or lots of other things....) At least my hobby gives me something to do. If I could cure the addicts in my life, I would give them some markers Hugs all

Holley

A new project posted everyday!
Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

Just read through this thread and kept nodding my head in agreement - me too, me too! I wasn't going to get Copics, what was wrong with ordinary felt tip pens? Then I bought my first three....then a few more - well, you can guess the rest. I love 'em to bits - I'm not at all artistic but find I can colour easily with these, and nothing beats settling down to a nice relaxing colouring session.

My husband teases me about doing my "colouring in" like I was six....but made me the most beautiful wooden storage box with individual grooves for each pen - six layers deep - I soon had to ask him to make a seventh layer though!

I LOOOVE my Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

I slipped again!!!! My friend called me the other day and said she was placing an order and asked if I wanted to add anything to the order. I got 24 more markers! Only 12 more at Michael's that I don't have. If they have another 45% off total purchase coupon again I'm in trouble. Luckily there isn't a Hobby Lobby near me! "Smudgeroonie" I'd love to see a picture of the box your Hubby made for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you in particular, melissa59. What a thoughtful, informative post. I will keep it in mind as I do My"research".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

I've posted this over on the Organisation thread some time ago but thought you might like to have an updated look at the Copic storage my husband made for me! Each layer has a base of green felt so I can put it on any surface without scratching it, and each pen is in its own little groove complete with cut-out at the end to make it easy to lift out. I've put a strip of each colour on a card which I stick upright for easy reference when I'm colouring. The whole box fits in a hessian shopping bag for transport too.

He pinched one of my Copics for measurements and did it all without telling me. Isn't he brilliant! I have to confess that he's currently having to make another layer *blush* .
Attached Thumbnails
Copics are a slippery slope-cimg0357.jpg   Copics are a slippery slope-cimg0359.jpg   Copics are a slippery slope-cimg0360.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmudgeroonieView Post
I've posted this over on the Organisation thread some time ago but thought you might like to have an updated look at the Copic storage my husband made for me! Each layer has a base of green felt so I can put it on any surface without scratching it, and each pen is in its own little groove complete with cut-out at the end to make it easy to lift out. I've put a strip of each colour on a card which I stick upright for easy reference when I'm colouring. The whole box fits in a hessian shopping bag for transport too.

He pinched one of my Copics for measurements and did it all without telling me. Isn't he brilliant! I have to confess that he's currently having to make another layer *blush* .
Wow, this is awesome and how sweet of him to surprise you with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Melissa has some good info here... but some things to add...

ALL of the body styles can be refilled (the same ink is used for all of them so the cost of the refill is the same)... and ALL of the body styles have nibs that are replaceable... not just the super brush.

Also... both the Sketch and the Original fit in the airbrush unit and you don't need to have a compressor for that... they do sell a "kit" that uses compressed air instead.

It's really just a matter of personal preference which style you get. If you have a chance, we recommend you try out each style and pick the one that you like best.

Hope that helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Here is a good place to start reading about the difference in the Copic line of markers: Markers | COPICMARKER.COM

Ciao are the cheapest. They also have the least amount of ink and the fewest color choices (180). Some people don't like these because they are round and tend to roll away from you, off tables, etc. It has the "super brush" (a basic marker tip, not good for writing, which you can replace if it gets smooshed) and "medium broad" (chunky like a highlighter) nibs.

Original have the most ink. They come in 214 colors. A lot of people prefer these because they can take a wide variety of nibs, including very narrow for tight coloring places or writing.

Sketch has medium ink, comes in the most colors (346), and the same nibs at the Ciao (a chunky and a replaceable Super Brush). The advantage to these markers is they will also fit in the Copic air gun, in case you decide to go that direction.

I went with Sketch thinking that it might be fun to play with the air gun. Looking back, that was a dumb idea. The air refills are costly and compressors are expensive, clunky and heavy. If I had to do it all over, I'd probably have gone with the original and if I wanted to get into the air stuff later, then I'd have purchased whatever Sketch marker I wanted to use as a background ... probably a sky blue or grass green.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Smudgeroonie - this is beautiful! What a wonderful guy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
ALL of the body styles have nibs that are replaceable... not just the super brush.
Colleen, do you know if the fine-point nibs fit in the Sketch markers? I had heard that they don't, but I could be misinformed. If so, would those fine nibs work in the chunky side? If so, I'd like to replace all the chucky nibs with fine point nibs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I'll get started soon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

I think the magic of Copics is you do not need to shade and blend colors if you don't want to . You can take the coloring to any level you are comfortable doing.
When I started I didn't know about light source or shading and blending or mixing my own colors. I never had any art training. I tried Tombows, but my coloring was not smooth it had streaks .

I bought a set of Christmas Nutcracker stamps and a few Copics. I colored the images with just solid colors and they still looked great.

Ultra fine nibs to replace the chisel nib may be nice for Sketch or Ciao, but I found that by holding the marker completely vertical and barely touching the paper you can get very fine lines.

When I colored the beak on this Humming bird and the stamens on the two flowers near the bottom I did not go outside the lines with this method.

Humming Along by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

The more I practice the better I get at this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a very addictive personality. So knowing that I have purposely stayed far away from Copics. HOWEVER, wanting to have some good markers when I want to use them I invested in a full set of BLICK (sold online at Dick Blicks). They are not refillable, but I have had the whole set for almost 3 years now and they're still going strong. They a FRACTION of the price of Copics and have a wide range of color choices ( well wide enough for me).

I also have the Sharpie markers, but they aren't useful for any kind of subtle coloring. They are just too vibrant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Melissa, excellent question.. and one we get asked all the time.

The fine nib that is on the Original can not be put into the Sketch or the Ciao. (It would be awesome if it did!)

The Original marker has a total of nine nib options. (including the fine, a super fine, and a brush... but not the super brush...)

The Sketch and Ciao both have have three nib options. (super brush, chisel, and round bullet)

You can see exactly what the nib options for the Sketch and Ciao are HERE.

Barbara Jay states great info in a post a few down from here... with the super brush (and some practice) you can really use just the tip of it to get into the very small and fine areas.

Whichever you choose, enjoy coloring!
colleen

Quote:

Colleen, do you know if the fine-point nibs fit in the Sketch markers? I had heard that they don't, but I could be misinformed. If so, would those fine nibs work in the chunky side? If so, I'd like to replace all the chucky nibs with fine point nibs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #67  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first learned about Copics I couldn't understand why anyone would pay so much for a marker, but now I get it. I really like them but I only have about 50 and don't feel the need to any many more. I can blend to almost any color I want using the blank CD pallette method. What broke the bank was that I didn't keep up with buying refill inks. I had a significant cost when I bought all my various inks.

One item to note is that are not refills for all Ciao markers. When I found out I couldn't refills for some of mine I switched to Sketch markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Yea just starting my collection and it's tough .. pricey.... but I found that getting them online isn't that bad....this place colouryourdesign.com has sketch for around 4 bucks ... but yea I only have like 30 colours so far...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Not sure where you heard this information, but it's incorrect. ALL of the markers (Wide, Original, Sketch and Ciao) are refillable... all 346 colors have a matching refill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

One item to note is that are not refills for all Ciao markers. When I found out I couldn't refills for some of mine I switched to Sketch markers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #70  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
Not sure where you heard this information, but it's incorrect. ALL of the markers (Wide, Original, Sketch and Ciao) are refillable... all 346 colors have a matching refill.
I took a class from Copic International and not all of the Ciaos have refill colors. Yes all markers are refillable but not all have Various ink available. The markers are still around but Copic International no longer makes the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I took a class from Copic International and not all of the Ciaos have refill colors. Yes all markers are refillable but not all have Various ink available. The markers are still around but Copic International no longer makes the ink.
Maybe check oozak.com or carpediemstore.com you should be able to find refills for any and all copic markers.

If I am not mistaken .Too Marker Corporation (in Japan) are the ones who make the copic refills. Imagination International is the company that imports the Copics into North America. All colors of various refills are available for purchase. If you are having trouble locating one of the colors I would gladly help you ... i love enabling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

I teach the Copic Certification classes here in the South and East... and I've never heard of this... I'll check into it and post what I find out.

Quote:

Last edited by Colleen Schaan; 09-05-2011 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

The best thing about these markers is that they are artist-quality and will truly last a lifetime (unless you step on one and break it or something, LOL!) They are refillable and the nibs can be changed out but they last a long time without doing either.

Smudgeroonie: The box your DH made is stunning! He is so sweet and talented and thoughtful to think of doing this for you--tell him to go ahead and make all the rest of the layers because you will eventually need them too, LOL!!
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #74  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalonismommyView Post
Maybe check oozak.com or carpediemstore.com you should be able to find refills for any and all copic markers.

If I am not mistaken .Too Marker Corporation (in Japan) are the ones who make the copic refills. Imagination International is the company that imports the Copics into North America. All colors of various refills are available for purchase. If you are having trouble locating one of the colors I would gladly help you ... i love enabling
Thanks so much but I'm ok enabling myself :p

I had just one marker and I searched all the sites and no one had a refill. I even went to our local art supply house and they checked their catalog and the various ink was not listed. When the pens ran out I tossed them. Now when I buy a marker I immediately buy the refill and the $200 plus order just for refills was enough to keep me up to date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear this! I can imagine your frustration and disappointment! I sure wish you had been able to find the refills before throwing the markers out. (I know that Rusty at Oozak.com carries all of the refills for future reference.)

It's a good practice to buy the refills when you buy the marker too... that way you never have to worry about running out of ink in the middle of a project. And those refills last a LONG time!

Enjoy your markers and happy coloring!

Quote:

Thanks so much but I'm ok enabling myself :p

I had just one marker and I searched all the sites and no one had a refill. I even went to our local art supply house and they checked their catalog and the various ink was not listed. When the pens ran out I tossed them. Now when I buy a marker I immediately buy the refill and the $200 plus order just for refills was enough to keep me up to date.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

There are refills for any color of any Copic marker. The Ciao do not come in all the colors the Sketch do, but if it is a Copic marker of any kind, it is refillable.

HTH!

This is a fun thread! When I first started collecting Copics, I had a 12pc. set of basics and two grays. I knew I needed just a few more colors...not too many...

Now, I sit at my desk and wish that there were more than 346 colors!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

I've got a few ideas!!!! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post

Now, I sit at my desk and wish that there were more than 346 colors!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #78  
Rubber Obsessor

I should not even LOOK at this thread! I like the look of things colored with Copics, but I have always resisted buying any because of the expense, and the fact that I already have all the SU markers. Knowing, as Barbara said, it would be a "slippery slope" once I'd start, I have not bought any. I happened to visit both Hobby Lobby AND Michael's today, and ended up swinging through the art supplies aisles to "look" at the Copics. I'm still resisting the urge, but I felt a definite "tug". I know all of you are not the ones to ask to "talk me down off of the ledge" so to speak, because I think you would be there yelling, "Jump!" LOL! Maybe someday our finances will allow it, but for now, I have to keep telling myself I can't justify spending the money on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

With a bit of modification the Ciao works with the airbrush holder. And I got my compressor from Harbor Freight for around $60 (with a coupon) which considering the cost of the markers is quite cheap. It sits on the floor underneath my workspace and is about a 9-10 inches long and maybe 9-10 inches high and maybe 6 inches wide. Airbrush Compressor - 1/8 HP, 40 PSI

TBH ATM I am considering using the ink directly in an air brush system rather than the marker holder. I'm having to buy a traditional brush to spray some RC cars...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #80  
Compulsive Stamper

Ladies, thanks so much for your kind comments on how brill my husband is (see my post above with piccies of my Copic storage box).. He deliberately designed it like that so I could see all the numbers (mine are Ciao, I daren't start on the others!). I've passed your messages on and he is delighted! xxx
Reply With Quote Likes