Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparison of PTI and Gina K cardstock.

I have the Gina K cardstock and love it. I was just wondering if someone who has both types could tell me if they feel similar in thickness and weight. I know the Gina K is 120 lbs, and the PTI is 110 lbs, but that does not tell me much, KWIM? How does it really feel when you are holding it in your hand is what counts.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both (in White only) and prefer the Gina K paper hands down.
I design for Stamping Bella.

Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both brands, in basics and colors. Both are nearly the same thickness, but the PTI paper is softer. It doesn't have a texture, but it just doesn't feel as smooth as Gina K's. They are both fantastic card stock, and I would say buy which ever colors you prefer, the quality is equal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both, too, and love 'em. I agree with KatarinaM, PTI's has a softer feel, more absorbent. Gina's is uber-smooth (I've never felt anything else like it!) and the heavy base weight is great for Copics (no bleed-thru) and the Gamsol technique. These two companies have turned me into a cardstock snob! They're both a fantastic choice, so I don't think you can lose with either one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have both and use Gina K's mostly. I use her white for bases for cards, and SU white for layering. They are the same shade of white. PTI's white is a brighter white and I used that to make wedding invites. I also use it for cards but not as much as the Gina K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I use both of these brands too. I prefer the slightly softer but nice and sturdy feel of the Papertrey cs for card bases. PTI is smooth too, but Gina K cs seems even smoother to me. Gets a little thick for layering - so then I go to thinner brands for the layering. But gives nice sturdy thickness for cards which I like. Takes some getting used to after thinner cs, but well worth it.

The Gina K's cs I just checked out recently. It is much smoother surface and noticeably thicker. I have used it as the base for my boxes and other 3-D items I make and LOVE IT for those things!!! I have also used it for water coloring and it works great - I get tired of having to use watercolor papers all the time. Have used both PTI and GK cs for blending of crayons, markers, inks and watercolor pencils and both work great.

My favorite colors of cs are PTI - such rich luscious colors - and they are always adding new colors to their line up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Gina has a layering white that is uber smooth, too. You'll find it on her website.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the PTI 2008 cardstock sampler last year and I really like the weight of it. Unfortunately, I haven't bought any white yet, but I want to. I do have some Gina K white. I haven't used any of it because I usually don't use white as a card base. I'm sure it would be great for that. It does seems very smooth which also scares me a little because I've noticed that if used pigment ink (I use Brilliance alot) on Whisper White (which is also very smooth) that I can smear the image if I'm not careful while stamping. In other words, if I don't stamp straight down my stamp will slide a little on that very smooth cardstock. It's almost like stamping on acetate for me! I know I just need to improve my stamping technique, but I'm more comfortable with a cardstock with a little "tooth". By the way, I have not taken the plunge into Copics so that is not an issue with me.

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I use PTI white, vintage cream, kraft, rustic white and rustic cream for my card bases only. I do have several of their other colors that I like too! I love how they have ink, card stock and ribbon to match.

I have Gina K's white for stamping or printing out images for my copics only. I personally prefer Gina's over PTI for that since it does not bleed through on Gina's card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I have both - white and color from both PTI and Gina K both are wonderful but Gina K is much more smooth and I use the luxury white for my card base and also for coloring images with copics and pencil
Reply With Quote Likes