Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colored Pencil Advice

I want to buy some good colored pencils - I have mostly Stampin Up products but I am not happy with their colored pencils - the colors are terrible and don't match their cardstock. Does anyone else agree or is it just me. Please tell me what colored pencils you use and why.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #2  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 644 Likes on 451 Posts

I have prismacolor and koh-i-noor. Do you have the SU watercolor pencils? If you do a search here I am pretty sure someone matches the prismacolors to SU. I love the koh-i-noor, but there are only 24 colors. They go on so nicely and blend so great with gamsol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't know that about the koh-i-noor, there are only 24 colors? They don't have any larger sets?

I have the prismacolor pencils, but haven't wanted to use them with gamsol right now because we are TTC, and the warnings scared me, but I love the look.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

Prismacolor pencils all the way. They go on like butter, the color range is fantastic, and I use a Goo Gone Mess Free Pen to blend the colors. Works great! I don't use Gamsol because I cannot stand to touch blending stumps. So when I found about using the Mess Free pen, I bought one (two) (three) immediately. Now I use my Prismas much more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

What is the goo gone mess free pen? Where do you get that? How many colors is adequate - 24, 36. 48, or more??? Is there a link to SU colors??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

What is a goo gone mess pen? and how many pencils are adequate? 24. 36. 48 or more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have the Prisma color pencils and I love using them. I have all 132 of the Prisma's, but that is just me, when I find something that I really like to use then I have to have all of the colors, I also have all of the Copic's and I will soon be getting all of the Shimmerz. I also have the koh-i-nor pencils and I like the way that they work but there just wasn't enough color range for my likeing. I am not sure about the goo gone mess pen, but I have tried the goo gone and I wasn't really happy with it so I use the OMS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ64View Post
What is the goo gone mess free pen? Where do you get that? How many colors is adequate - 24, 36. 48, or more??? Is there a link to SU colors??
The Goo Gone Mess-Free pen looks like a Sharpie marker. It has a chisel point, so you can use it in any area, large or small. I found mine at Walmart on the aisle where the dish detergent/Brasso/wax are located. I bought my Prismacolors about 20 years ago - I got the set of 72, the largest set that was available at the time. When the set of 120 came out, I looked at them, but discovered that the new colors were mostly different shades of grey. There were some additional colors that I liked (mostly deco colors), but I ended up purchasing them separately. If I were purchasing a set today, I would probably go with the 36 or 48 pencil set, and then just add additional colors that I liked. I have found that there are several colors I use over and over, and some colors I never use at all. So it really depends on your personal wants and needs.

As far as a color chart matching the pencils to SU products, here you go: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
There's a Word doc in the first post that you can download.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for the help! I think you are right....start with maybe the 36 or 48 - that Word document is AWESOME!! Now I just have to figure out what colors are in each pack!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ64View Post
Thank you for the help! I think you are right....start with maybe the 36 or 48 - that Word document is AWESOME!! Now I just have to figure out what colors are in each pack!!
Also, I would suggest looking on ebay for Prisma color sets. They have some wonderful deals on these pencils there. Even better than using a coupon at Michaels or someplace.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow thanks for the sound advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I have prismacolor and koh-i-noor. Do you have the SU watercolor pencils? If you do a search here I am pretty sure someone matches the prismacolors to SU. I love the koh-i-noor, but there are only 24 colors. They go on so nicely and blend so great with gamsol.
What she said
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the 120 prismacolor set (40% coupon at Hobby Lobby ;)), and I love them. They also have a blender pencil to blend color if you don't want to use Gamasol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Prismacolor pencils are great...and, you can get fabulous results without using OMS or any blending solution. Just takes a little practice and pressure (meaning press hard on the paper...the wax will break down and will blend with other colors).

Designing for:
Tiddly Inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I just got my sets this wknd. I ordered a set of 24 Prismacolor pencils from Joanne's b/c they had free shipping over a certain amount. They also have a Prismacolor accessories kit that includes the marker blender pen as well as the pencil blender pen, an eraser, a pencil sharpener, etc. ALTHOUGH I read in another forum that it's good to use an electric pencil sharpener with them.
I also ordered the 12 set count of both the 2005 and 2006 colors from MisterArt. I am very, very pleased with them. The nice thing is, our local art store carries them individually so I can add to my collection as needed. :mrgreen:

I've included some pics of them that I took today. I decorated a tin pineapple can and a small Rx bottle to hold both the pencils and the accessories. Good luck to you and enjoy!!

Last edited by scrubbybubbles; 02-25-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Just curious for those who have tried it: Does the goo gone pen give the same effect as the blender pencil? What about the blender marker, does it give the same or better effect than either the goo gone or blender pencil? I already own the colored pencils (not all of them...yet) and I love to use the blender pencil for art, haven't tried with stamping yet Thanks for letting me know
Reply With Quote Likes