Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Cleaning stamps

Hey all,

I have the traditional SU stamps but I also have some different acrylic stamps from varying companies. I don't have any special cleaning tools or solutions, I've just been using soap and water - but I'm not sure that my acrylic stamps are handling it well. Any suggestions out there on how everyone else cleans their stamps?

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have seen a stamp cleaner made for clear stamps but I do not know if it really works that well .:confused: I saw it on Newcleardollarstamps.com.
There probably are other companies, too.

So far, I have just cleaned them off with a damp paper towel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a baby wipe.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ultra Clean

Hands down, the best and worth it, IMHO. ;)

I do use alcohol-free baby wipes first, if I've been working with pigment ink, just to get most of the gunk off, and then scrub 'em with UC and a scrubby pad.

UC gets stains off rubber, excellent for removing solvent/permanent inks, etc., and is also specifically formulated to be safe for clear stamps. However, you should be aware that no cleaner can remove certain types of ink "stains" from clear stamps. The stamps will be clean and work just fine, but "tinted" from certain types of ink; they seem to absorb certain dyes/pigments more readily than others. But, as I said, if cleaned properly, the performance of the stamp will not be affected.

When my clear stamps lose their stick-um (eventually many do), tho, I usually wash them in warm soapy water, and rinse in a "tight" collander (so I don't accidentally lose any of the smaller/tiny ones down the drain), and then lay 'em out on a lint-free towel to air dry.

Of course, if I'm in a hurry, I'll pat dry and get right back to stampin'! *giggle*

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

As usual, JulieHRR knows what she's talking about. Ultra Clean is fabulous, it's the only cleaner I use anymore. I also use a drop of it to "oil" the hinge on the rubber-cutting scissors!

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I use baby wipes for any stamp that I used classic (dye), craft (pigment) or chalk ink on. For permanent ink, I use a product called "Grandmas Secret Stamp Cleaner" and my SU stamp scrubber. Then I follow that with the baby wipe. After the baby wipes, I press each cleaned stamp into a wad of paper towels to dry them off before storing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Ultra Clean

Hands down, the best and worth it, IMHO. ;)

I do use alcohol-free baby wipes first, if I've been working with pigment ink, just to get most of the gunk off, and then scrub 'em with UC and a scrubby pad.

UC gets stains off rubber, excellent for removing solvent/permanent inks, etc., and is also specifically formulated to be safe for clear stamps. However, you should be aware that no cleaner can remove certain types of ink "stains" from clear stamps. The stamps will be clean and work just fine, but "tinted" from certain types of ink; they seem to absorb certain dyes/pigments more readily than others. But, as I said, if cleaned properly, the performance of the stamp will not be affected.

When my clear stamps lose their stick-um (eventually many do), tho, I usually wash them in warm soapy water, and rinse in a "tight" collander (so I don't accidentally lose any of the smaller/tiny ones down the drain), and then lay 'em out on a lint-free towel to air dry.

Of course, if I'm in a hurry, I'll pat dry and get right back to stampin'! *giggle*

HTH,
What is Ultra Clean? I don't think I've heard of that before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooked on stampin'View Post
What is Ultra Clean? I don't think I've heard of that before.
Hooked, just click on the words "Ultra Clean" in my post--its a link that will take you straight to the product at the manufacturer's site.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Hooked, just click on the words "Ultra Clean" in my post--its a link that will take you straight to the product at the manufacturer's site.

HTH,
Thanks Julie. This is a product I was unfamiliar with. Do you know if it's available in any stores, or just online?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooked on stampin'View Post
Thanks Julie. This is a product I was unfamiliar with. Do you know if it's available in any stores, or just online?
You can find it both in well-stocked stamp/scrap stores, and a wide variety of online retailers also carry it. Just do a google and BAM!!! You'll find lots of listings. ;)

It's not something you could expect to find at a chain craft store, like Michael's, tho. UKWIM?

Anyhoo, I told the folks at Stewart Superior if they'd make a GALLON size refill bottle, I'm not the only stamper that would pounce on it! LOL! They did eventually come out with a refill bottle, and that's nice--Not as big as I wanted, but, hey, I'll take what I can get! ROTFLMBO! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

You can find it both in well-stocked stamp/scrap stores, and a wide variety of online retailers also carry it. Just do a google and BAM!!! You'll find lots of listings. ;)

It's not something you could expect to find at a chain craft store, like Michael's, tho. UKWIM?

Anyhoo, I told the folks at Stewart Superior if they'd make a GALLON size refill bottle, I'm not the only stamper that would pounce on it! LOL! They did eventually come out with a refill bottle, and that's nice--Not as big as I wanted, but, hey, I'll take what I can get! ROTFLMBO! :mrgreen:
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes