Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Stamp pads, are there any tips for even coverage?

Hi fellow SCSers!! I just received my first large SU order yesterday. (YIPPEE!) After taking about 2 hours to cut and mount my stamps I wanted to play with my new stamps w/ the Classic/Dye pads I just got. I got the entire RR set for my free merchandise, but I am having problems getting good ink coverage, especially on wide areas on the stamp (the small donut on the riveting set for example). I don't know, I just thought the SU sets would ink up nicer. I delivered a friend's Craft pads today and had to try it out... the craft ink up so much nicer, and I regret not purchasing them now... but went with the classic b/c they were more affordable.

Does anyone out there have any tips on using the Classic pads? Does anyone prefer the Classic pads, and why? I still like them, but am a bit disappointed so far.

Thanks for your help!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I tend to kinda rub them lightly in the pad (be careful around the edges due to easy fraying) and then dab so I do not get streaks from rubing. The craft pads do ink nicer but I find them messy and I tend to over ink them and then they smudge as they take a long time to dry.
But I'm still new at the stamping thing so maybe someone who knows a little more can help, I'd like to know other ways to get a stamp to get evenly inked!

Also, I just remembered that I heard somewhere that somtimes the pad's just need to be re-inked to get even inking because after useage and if you only use the center of your pad it kinda warps and then after re-inking it plumps back up. But if your pads are new you shouldn't really have that problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Your problem probably isn't with the pad, but with the stamp. Stamps that are solid instead of line art, often need to be scuffed up a little to grab the ink better. Some have luck just rubbing their clean stamps on their jeans, but I guess my worn out jeans are abrasive enough. I take the SU sanding block and very lightly sand the rubber, clean it off on the stamping scrub, and then it stamps wonderfully. Give it a try--just sand very lightly. You can always sand more if you need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I find with my solid stamps I don't just tap. instead, I twist the stamps into the pad and then tap to get rid of any weird textures I might have picked up during the twisting. This seems to produce really nice solid images for me. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have found the same thing, I take an eraser and rub up my stamps, or rub them on my jeans a bit to scuff them up, then clean them off. I also tend to be a rub-ber on my stamp pads. I tap, tap, tap, rub, rub, rub, tap, tap. I know they say don't rub, but I am careful and find this is how I can get even coverage. I like the craft inks too for certain solid images. Get one or two to try or get a set of the spots. One of my favorite craft pads right now is basic black..wow, so much nicer then the basic black dye ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Sometimes if I can't get my stamp to ink up right, I'll lay the block down (stamp facing up) and press the ink pad on to the stamp. I'll also stand up so I can put more pressure on it.
I tend to like the classics better. They are less messy from my experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

AHHA!!! That could very well be my problem... new stamps and new ink pads, I will try the scuffing the stamps up a bit and the other suggestions posted here. Thank you very much for the wonderful ideas! I can't wait to try it out again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

gadget19,
I agree that the solid images are the ones that take a little more care in inking. I've been known to scuff against my jeans as well. I always ink with several "taps" on the pad, then turn over the stamp & take a look at the ink on the rubber. If I see blank areas, I ink it again. [I realize that your pads are new, but later, keep in mind that a juicy pad produces a true, well inked image ... so refills are your friend.] It's a good idea to always check the coverage on the rubber before applying to your cardstock ... there are fewer surprises, and a happier experience. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just give my new stamps a good cleaning with the mist and scrub to get rid of the mold releaser residue, which is often the cause of the difficulty with the solid stamps. The residue is likely on the line art stamps as well, but isn't as apparent.

Like TexasGrammy said, in the future, poor coverage probably will mean that your pads need reinking. Have fun with your new stuff!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes I have much better luck inking my stamps by using the pad in my right hand, and applying the pad to the stamp, instead of vice versa.

Also, you can tap the corner part of the pad onto the stamp to get any areas where you see need more ink.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I have better luck inking stamps if I don't just tap the stamp in the middle of the pad but in all different areas of the pad (does that make sense)-I seem to get better coverage that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Stampin up ink pads also bow in the middle which doesn't help, I think that is one down fall with stampin up. Other company ink pads don't do that such as CTMH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonbonstamps
Your problem probably isn't with the pad, but with the stamp. Stamps that are solid instead of line art, often need to be scuffed up a little to grab the ink better. Some have luck just rubbing their clean stamps on their jeans, but I guess my worn out jeans are abrasive enough. I take the SU sanding block and very lightly sand the rubber, clean it off on the stamping scrub, and then it stamps wonderfully. Give it a try--just sand very lightly. You can always sand more if you need to.
What she said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

i have also found that when using a solid stamp... i will ink it and stamp on scratch paper and then ink it again to stamp on your card stock. the second time always seems to be better. don't know why tho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

All great ideas! Thank you so much for all your help!! I would have never thought of any of these... I love SCS.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With solid stamps I find that if I give them a good cleaning on the scrub it gets rid of all the residue. Then ink it up and huff before you stamp. Even every time.

Another issue can be cardstock. SU's Whisper White is the best for getting a good solid image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonbonstamps
I do the same thing and if I have not used a stamp for a few months I also sand it again before using it. Makes a world of difference. Also, I rub the stamp across the pad and then twist it and then tap it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I, too agree with bonbon... I keep a paper bag handy and 'scrub' my new rubber across it several times to take off any manufacturing oils.

I also agree with Michelle.... ink it up, stamp it off, then ink it again for stamping. If I have a really problematic rubber, and all of the above don't work, then ink it, and let it sit until almost dry. Now reink it and stamp. Sometimes the ink needs something to hold onto... kinda like a primer.
Reply With Quote Likes