Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Check out these great Sketch Challenge Books!!!

I recently subscribed to Wendybell's blog as I love her work. When I got my daily update this morning there was an article about an adorable and very useful Sketch Challenge book. The book will contain layouts for the first 100 of our sketch challenges. What a neet idea. You guys need to check it out. She is offering these for sale. I'm hoping on it as I love having the ideas to easily refer to differetn sketches as I always seem to get in a rut. She has four sample books on her blog. They look precious to me. I wanted to share. Check out the link below.

Wickedly Wonderful Creations
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm...not quite sure how to put this, but I don't feel comfortable with someone taking and selling the sketch challenge layouts. Printing them and using them yourself is fine. Selling them is taking something that isn't yours and profiting from it. Is there any kind of SCS policy that covers it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a beautiful presentation, Kittie, but I have made copies of the sketch challenges since the beginning. And I refer to my papers frequently when wanting something new or exciting. Good luck to Wicked Wonderful Creations in their endeavor.

Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie nelson
It's a beautiful presentation, Kittie, but I have made copies of the sketch challenges since the beginning. And I refer to my papers frequently when wanting something new or exciting. Good luck to Wicked Wonderful Creations in their endeavor.

Susie
I did this too. They are even in an easy PDF or DOC format to print out. I have them stapled together and have become my "bible" of sorts, helping me out when I'm in a rut and need to try something new.

I really don't know why she would sell something that's available for free and so easily accessible. However, I would be interested in purchasing a book of all new sketches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do that too. I have al mine in a 3 ring binder in page protectors and I just flip through it. There's also sketchs from another website that I like to print out so I have all kinds. I hope she checked to make sure it was o.k. to do that...I'd be afraid I'd get into trouble. It might be an idea for SCS to sell them in a little book though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow! It's amazing - the things that come to your attention when you're not looking!

First, I would like to thank you girls for your concern about protecting the things we hold dear here on SCS. I, for one, have benefitted greatly from the work done by the wonderful gals who put so much effort into all of the challenges . . . they rock!

My friends and I were inspired to make these books after we saw the ones done for the 100th Color Challenge. As we got into making our own, we thought it would be fun to share them - an endeavor we did not take lightly, as there is a ton of work involved.

Prior to even seriously considering tackling this job, I did some in-depth homework. I have been in contact with the advertising department here on SCS (go, Sara!), and we plan to place an ad in the newsletter, linking people to the blog. Next, I contacted Roxie myself, and she said, as several of the challenges are her own creations, she had absolutely no problem with us making this book. She thought it was a great idea.

We will probably be offering a book for free, in conjunction with a contest on my blog, which Roxie has suggested we link to the sketch challenge. She has even offered to help us in the endeavor.

Everyone has a different, and creative, way to process and store information. We were just doing something we thought would be a great way to display and share ideas with others, and never intended to step on toes or take advantage of anything in any way.

Thanks for your concern. We want to protect SCS in any way we can . . .

Have a great day, everyone!

- Wendy
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
Ummm...not quite sure how to put this, but I don't feel comfortable with someone taking and selling the sketch challenge layouts. Printing them and using them yourself is fine. Selling them is taking something that isn't yours and profiting from it. Is there any kind of SCS policy that covers it?

I agree with Debra. I appreciate the effort that the ladies put into the lovely books and it's a super idea. But, $50 for a book of sketches that we can go to the challenge threads and print ourselves I fear is a bit too costly.

I may consider it if it were priced quite a bit less AND (more importantly) with SCS's blessing and approval for the selling and a share of the profits.

Just my 2 cents. Hugs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you Wendy for clarifying how you addressed the whole thing with SCS and the sketch challenges! The samples on your blog are gorgeous and I think $50 is very fair compensation for the time and materias each book takes, plus the shipping on top of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

(not to mention your creativity! that's worth a lot too!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Wendy. We were typing responses at the same time... It makes a difference to us to know you contacted SCS prior to this project. Can't be too careful!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendybell
Wow! It's amazing - the things that come to your attention when you're not looking!

First, I would like to thank you girls for your concern about protecting the things we hold dear here on SCS. I, for one, have benefitted greatly from the work done by the wonderful gals who put so much effort into all of the challenges . . . they rock!

My friends and I were inspired to make these books after we saw the ones done for the 100th Color Challenge. As we got into making our own, we thought it would be fun to share them - an endeavor we did not take lightly, as there is a ton of work involved.

Prior to even seriously considering tackling this job, I did some in-depth homework. I have been in contact with the advertising department here on SCS (go, Sara!), and we plan to place an ad in the newsletter, linking people to the blog. Next, I contacted Roxie myself, and she said, as several of the challenges are her own creations, she had absolutely no problem with us making this book. She thought it was a great idea.

We will probably be offering a book for free, in conjunction with a contest on my blog, which Roxie has suggested we link to the sketch challenge. She has even offered to help us in the endeavor.

Everyone has a different, and creative, way to process and store information. We were just doing something we thought would be a great way to display and share ideas with others, and never intended to step on toes or take advantage of anything in any way.

Thanks for your concern. We want to protect SCS in any way we can . . .

Have a great day, everyone!

- Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wow!!! Look what happens when you want to share something that you think is special with everyone on SCS. I am sad! I think Wendy's books are darling and know they are lots of work. What a wonderful tool to share colorful ideas with other stampers, especially demos who teach classes. It just goes to show that what one person thinks is wonderful makes others uncomfortable. I, for one, think it is sad that there was any criticism of the books or that they are offering them. I was intruged with the idea and that people would love to see them. It is also sad to me that Wendy has been taken to task by a few of you instead of me. I am the person that brought them to the attention of SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they are beautiful!!! They'd make a great gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I think they are beautiful!!! They'd make a great gift!
You're right! I'll PM you my address...;)

Cute books, I can't imagine how much time went into those....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

They are darling. I was considering doing something like that for myself for the sketches and the color challenges, but I am far too lazy for that! LOL!

Great job on these Wendy!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Nice books Wendy!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

They are super cute
I got a nice decorated comp book from my DSS 2 rounds ago and I love it, everyone should have one!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

meant to say "decorated comp book with all the sketches in it", sorry
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ladies,

I can absolutely attest to the amount of work that goes into these books. When I took on the 100 Color Challenge book project I never in my life considered that it would take me 3 months to finish the first 30 books. I honestly thought it might take a few weeks. After cutting and gluing punched circles, copying pages, inserting pages, decorating books...I was sucked dry of my creativity!

I also had requests for the Sketch Challenge books but felt that there was a proprietary issue with those sketches being the property of the person who originally came up with them. I'm glad that Wendy got permission so that she could go ahead.

AND...$50 is a mere pittance for these books! I charged $45 for the color challenge books and that included shipping. I way, way UNDERESTIMATED what these would actually cost and I didn't consider my time and energy at all. Something more like $75 would have probably been better...it's scary but true.

Good luck with your books! There will always be a market for these types of things. There are many people out there that just need that extra tid-bit of guidance to get their creative juices flowing!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
...and I think $50 is very fair compensation ...
I should have said price, not compensation! I was just rereading my post and realised I used the wrong word. I think $50 is very fair to your customers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #20  
PAPER SCAPER

I�ve received a PM�s and a phone call due to this thread so I thought I should check in now that dinner is done and the dishes are cleaned up!

Wendy did contact me about the booklet and possibly giving one away through the challenge. I declined the give away through the challenge due to problems in the past with challenge prizes here at SCS.

I also declined because I had been offered this idea by another person and I thought it would be unfair to her if I took Wendy up on her offer even though
she was offering it at no charge to me and I would have had to pay for the first booklet offer. I hope I didn't :confused: you on that!

I did however offer to link an SCS thread to the challenge should they advertise a give away only! I know the challenge players would like a chance to win and I also know that many of them are here for the challenges and like me - they don�t always view other forums on a daily basis.

I used some of my personal layouts for the challenge and I personally have no problem with the ladies using them in the booklet.

As for the booklet price: I say it�s a fair price! Lots of time into those cute little things!

As Kittie said: �It just goes to show that what one person thinks is wonderful makes others uncomfortable.�
I couldn�t agree more!

Have a great evening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

It's a good idea but I think I would charge enough to cover your costs, time etc and some to give back to SCS to help keep this site going....just my two cents!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Wendy, for your clarification. The books themselves are beautiful. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #23  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
It's a good idea but I think I would charge enough to cover your costs, time etc and some to give back to SCS to help keep this site going....just my two cents!
Hey while your at it, have them pay for my Fan Club membership, it's due next month! :-D :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

Great books Wendy!!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
I also declined because I had been offered this idea by another person and I thought it would be unfair to her if I took Wendy up on her offer even though she was offering it at no charge to me and I would have had to pay for the first booklet offer. I hope I didn't :confused: you on that!
Just to clarify, when I originally offered to make the Color/Sketch challenge books for both Rox71 and for Emily (color challenges) I asked only that these girls pay for the SU! ATC board book and an extra set of pages. I paid for ALL of the supplies to create the 'prize' book that was given away to celebrate the 100th Color Challenge. I paid to have the book shipped to Emily via USPS Priority and I freely gave my time and energy. I thought that it was definitely worth it to commemorate the 100th challenges...what a milestone!

The making of the books for sale was a result of the responses posted and e-mailed to me after the book was awarded. I resisted making the books for quite a while. I did not start that project looking to make 'big bucks'. AND I did NOT make the big bucks...that's for sure.

What was satisfying was that the ladies who did purchase a book ALL sent me messages after receiving them and let me know how much they liked them. That was the best part of the whole project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

These books look like so much fun! Thanks for putting it all together for those of us that will want to purchase one! I think they are GREAT! And...I think we all owe you a couple gift certificates to Carlos O'Kelleys for a couple margaritas after all that work...teehee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's a great idea...I was just worried that people would get into trouble over copyrighted stuff and all that but since it was all checked out it's no problem. I print them out myself but I think it's a great idea for people who don't have a printer or maybe even a computer and use it at the library or somebody else's house KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever

Awesome work ladies! I love the books .. wow where do you find time??
crazy but people pay fifty dollars withut blionking an eye to CM for an empty scrap book.. now where does that get you?? I think your books rock& wish you the best of luck in selling them :} Work on tinkerbelle :}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

they are beautiful!!!! Great idea!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh obrien
Just to clarify, when I originally offered to make the Color/Sketch challenge books for both Rox71 and for Emily (color challenges) I asked only that these girls pay for the SU! ATC board book and an extra set of pages. I paid for ALL of the supplies to create the 'prize' book that was given away to celebrate the 100th Color Challenge. I paid to have the book shipped to Emily via USPS Priority and I freely gave my time and energy. I thought that it was definitely worth it to commemorate the 100th challenges...what a milestone!

The making of the books for sale was a result of the responses posted and e-mailed to me after the book was awarded. I resisted making the books for quite a while. I did not start that project looking to make 'big bucks'. AND I did NOT make the big bucks...that's for sure.

What was satisfying was that the ladies who did purchase a book ALL sent me messages after receiving them and let me know how much they liked them. That was the best part of the whole project.
I am a proud owner of one the color challenge books. Yes - I could have done it myself, but I knew that I wouldn't (quite the procrastinator and lazy when I want to be ). I am grateful to have it now and show it to my friends every chance I can get!!! I still open my book and can't even begin to imagine the amount effort Leigh put into each one of these!!

Now to find some money to buy one of these sketch books - again my procrastination/lazy alter ego is showing her side. ;)

Good lucky Wendy (and friends)!! Hope you are able to sell lots!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #31  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Smile

First...let me just say the books are GAWGEOUS! Fantastic job Wendy (and friends). Best wishes for success with this fab project!
Second...Come on ladies...why would anyone around SCS be concerned about a project that would benefit a fellow SCS'er (especially when the main point of the project originated from SCS)? Well...for the past months everyone has been quite touchy about art work being snatched up and credit being given to the snatchee...So, I can totally understand why some would be on edge about this and possibly have mixed feelings or simply just be concerned. KWIM?
However...my third point. These girls put a ton of creating, time, and energy into this project and the results definitely shine! They also...made sure to take the proper precautions so as not to cause conflict or "get into trouble" so to speak. Honestly, any one of us could have easily printed and created something similar without sharing with SCS or on our blog...but isn't that what SCS is all about? Sharing...so if the gals want to work hard, create, and make a small profit from their book...then so be it. I say go for it girls! Chances are someone would have asked to purchase one even if they had not offered. :mrgreen:
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #32  
Bunny's SunnyChick

OOPS I forgot to proof...it's all jumbled together. :rolleyes:
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Though I'm a lurker on this forum (meaning I do the challenges but rarely post them due to time constraints), I value the card sketches very much. I think that it's wonderful that someone has put one of these books together. Wendy, you and your crew are awesome! I hear the concerns about taking something that someone here developed and selling it, but since Wendy got the proper permissions ahead of time, I don't see a problem. Also, it sounds to me like these gals aren't trying to get rich off of the sketch designs, but are recouping costs for materials and most importantly their time. I, too, print out the sketches and put them inside sheet protectors in a binder. But these books, per the pictures from Wendy's blog, are hand-crafted, quality works of art in and of themselves. They would make wonderful tools to have handy, and great gifts, I think. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #34  
Buttered Noodle Mingler

I have one question...Why do some people get their panties in a wad so quickly, over nothing? Good grief! For those of you that have nice binder collections, I'm happy for you! For those of us who don't have the time to make nice collections, we very much appreciate the time & effort others put into making things that make our lives easier! Yes, I would pay for a beautiful collection of challenges. Why? There are 100 ideas, nicely placed into one book, all in uniform colors! I don't even want to think of the time & effort these ladies put into theses books! That's a lot of cutting & adhering! Frequently, I am unable to attend meetings where my group makes scrapbook pages, or technique books. I pay for the supplies, like everyone else, and then I pay to have someone else put it together! Why? Because I don't have the time to do it! And when it arrives at my door, I have a beautiful book that is very helpful on many occasions! The creators may be making some money, but we all get paid for a job. We live in a free country! The creators checked with the appropriate people to get this project ok'd. They are going to put a ton of time & effort into these books. If you don't want to pay for the book, don't buy one! It's that simple! You're probably just upset because you didn't think of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
I print them out myself but I think it's a great idea for people who don't have a printer or maybe even a computer and use it at the library or somebody else's house KWIM?
I think even beyond having a 2-dimensional greyscale printout of the sketches, the books that Wendy and Crew have put together are also a great source of inspiration just in the design they chose, and actually seeing 3-d card fronts. I think I would get SO much more from these books than looking at the awesome printouts taht are available for free on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up GO WENDY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myoos913
The creators may be making some money, but we all get paid for a job. We live in a free country! The creators checked with the appropriate people to get this project ok'd. They are going to put a ton of time & effort into these books. If you don't want to pay for the book, don't buy one! It's that simple! You're probably just upset because you didn't think of it!
AMEN!

I agree with Michelle...I don't have the time to make my own book, so why wouldn't I pay someone else to do it?? What's the difference if someone was to use the sketch challenges to make scrapbook pages & sell them on Ebay?! It's not like these layouts are copywritten! :rolleyes: Is that called Capitalism in America?

I think Wendy deserves many kudos for taking this huge task upon herself! She deserves every penney she "makes" from this! And I hope you make a TON of money Wendy!! Good for you for thinking of it first!!

Marjori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #37  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

hi all, I've been in contact with wendy and we had a great conversation last night. please be assured that I'm addressing with her the concerns that some of you had about a) re-publishing splitcoast content and b) receiving proper permission from the sketch artists.

splitcoast as an entity/business needs to clarify our position on this kind of thing, and we'll be doing that in the near future. you'll probably see something added to the terms of service, related to alternate uses of splitcoast content.

in short, it'll be something like this (I reserve the right to make glaring omissions here). first, we don't claim SCS ownership of anything you upload as a member of splitcoast. your creations are your creations and uploading them here doesn't change anything.

second, your personal use of any content here is up to you.

and third, we will generally discourage alternate uses of SCS content, other than your own personal uses.

examples of how you might use stuff:
downloading files from the site, saving gallery images to your hard drive, printing a tutorial

what's okay to do:
use for yourself, share with friends or your own circle of contacts

what to avoid or be cautious of:
publishing SCS content (meaning, content that originated from SCS) on another web site, re-publishing SCS content for profit, publishing SCS content without attribution

as to the sketch books themselves, I wasn't comfortable having the splitcoast name on something that's promoted for general sale, unless it's sanctioned by us (and by "us" I mean splitcoast the business entity). if there were copyright questions or issues, those should be addressed before something like this were offered for general sale. I also told wendy I was fine with a limited production for friends, etc.

as always, I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Default Question

So if I use a layout I had seen on Splitcoast and decided to sell my card or scrapbook with that layout would there be a copyright issue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Lets Play Nice!!!

Can anyone go back and say that a LO was theirs. I think Hallmark could sue everyone just for folding a piece of paper and saying its a card.:rolleyes:
Im sorry but I think a lot of threads lately are just way too worked up. Its not a crime to copy a LO., or sell it for that matter it would be hard to say it was itellectual property. Please alot of people are sounding like my 4yr old saying MINE MINE... How pathetic that sounds. This site was meant to be supportive of everything, and everyone interested in furthering the hobby. SO... Lets all be Happy Stampers and play fairly in the sand box... Play Nice.... Otherwise some other website will get all the business and this one will fade away because it's not a fun place to be anymore.
A book of card LO's what a great Idea...Its not like she took pictures of everyones cards and made a book and said here see what I've made! Everyone knows exactly where they came from. All they have to do is read a post.
Go Wendy and friends, Best of Luck in your Venture!
Thanks Kitty for posting this thread so everyone can have an opportunity, to see whats available. These books are trully wonderful. What a bunch of talented women. Wow aren't SCS'ers wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I bumping this specifically because I think more people should have the opportunity to see these adorable books.
Reply With Quote Likes