Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Cutter - not rotary

So I bought the personal rotary trimmer a year ago, hated it and took it back. This was the PRT-100. http://www.carl-products.com/Product...ers/PRT100.htm

They said they were coming out with a slider personal one soon. Anyone know if this is the new one? This is the RBT-12:
http://www.carl-products.com/Product...perTrimmer.htm
I haven't been paying attention. I love my fiskars slider - most of the time. But I am always in search of the best cutter. I do NOT want a huge monstrosity - it just doesn't work for me. I know Carl makes fab cutters, so I wondered if anyone had tried this one. Thanks!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

bump! nobody has tried this one??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have this one, have had it for a while now. It is comparable to the fiskars slider. This one seems to cut straighter, longer. However, the paper holder (clear piece you push down on) is not able to lift, so cutting anything smaller than 1" wide is a pain. I still have to pull the fiskars out to cut the slim pieces. That is the only thing that bugs me about this trimmer. But I go through the fiskars in less than a year, it just cuts into the groove too much and the papers end up cutting at a bit of a slant eventually. So, I really don't know which is better. They both have their drawbacks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I thought this was too similar to the Fiskars slider. I had the old Fiskars that you used in one of the tutorials you did here on SCS and I figured that if it was good enough for you, it was good enough for me. lol

Later tho, on eBay - a seller had her retired SU cutter on sale with tons of replacement blades. I won the auction and had a heck of a time with that cutter, I didn't use it AT ALL. Several months later, another seller included her cutter in a lot sale along with retired ink refills and I again won that item. I'm so glad I did because that cutter (same as the previous seller's) was fantastic.

I then inspected the two and found that the one I disliked had a little plastic bubble (defect) for the ruler which prevented it from laying completely flat. I believe these two were the cutters SU retired because my local LSS said there was no Fiskars cutter with a shiny plate and Black.

Anyway, I thought I'd post because I love the portability of the Fiskars - the feel on my lap//or should I say thighs. I may just be one of those that prefers what I'm accustomed to, but I don't think you can go wrong with sticking to Fiskars....if there's no defective parts. lol

Someone on this site suggested using the blade in one direction to prolong its life and that seems to work pretty much. Anyway, Joann's has a half off sale today and here's the newer version of our old faithful. Check out the reviews - those that were unhappy with it, I feel, probably had one of those bubbles causing the problems. I'm not sure if the link works...but good luck in your search and conquest.

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$3FW0JHIAAFXJKP4SY5NBHOR50 LD3OEPO?CATID=114120&PRODID=79674&st=21#review
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

sorry - lets see if this works (haven't been successful with links to J recently):

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$3FW0JHIAAFXJKP4SY5NBHOR50 LD3OEPO?CATID=114120&PRODID=79674
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

hmmm, interesting, Twinks! My issues weren't with any of that....it was where the markings were. I had to be able to CLEARLY see 4 1/4 and 5 1/2 and for some reason on that one it was harder for me to get those ones. That's why I didn't like it. Plus, I hate change. I may try this other one - cause I love most things about my fiskars, except for the crooked cuts, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Sorry to be so late in adding a bit more - having server problems. I thought you might have tried the newer Fiskars and decided it wasn't as great as the sometimes crooked gray one. Don't ya just get frustrated when that happens?

With this newer one, I still do have problems with the 5-1/2 cuts at times when I'm not using it on a flat surface - but the Carl also has the same extended ruler and you would have to find the right placement for the 5-1/2" cuts.

The SU (Fiskars) cutter has the template on the metal piece and the marks for most of the other sizes are very good - the ones I ended up with via eBay are like this one in Beate's tutorial:

Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

I know what a struggle it can be with the all gray surface - I still use it at times when the others are MIA. Just thought that if you want to stay away from the rotary and guillotine that you might want to look at the new improved Fiskars. Again, JMHO. Just thought you might want to rethink your choices.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

update:

I found this cutter at Walmart for under $10. I am going to give it a whirl and I'll report back what I think!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have the small Carl cutter and it's WONDERFUL, I will use nothing else! Let me know what you think!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have purchased a couple of Carl Cutters over the year and was very unhappy with them. When I tried to get my money back using the "satisfaction guaranteed" phrase on the packaging, I was actually told that they would decide if I had a reason to be unsatisfied or not. I had to sell the thing at a yard sale. I dealt directly with the company and was the most dissatisfied with their customer service and the outcome that I have ever been with ANY company in my lifetime. I was treated horribly for even suggesting that the product was not as it had been presented to me at a convention by one of their own representatives. My friend had a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Likes