Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melting store bought gelli plate

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
O.k., what I've discovered on line too about the home made gelli plate, is that it lasts for forever too! It doesn't break down or go rancid, because it was turned to a plastic..... And it is also said that it is a permanent plate also. Do you mean by "sensitive" that it won't pick up the print you want as well, with the store bought plate? It was also said, that if you were to nick the home made plate, you can melt down the plate & let it reset. I'm guessing the store bought plate can be nicked too? Or am I wrong? Maybe, that is what they mean by "permanent?" And so the give, that you get with the homemade plate you don't find in the store bought? Am I getting this right? LOL
Looks like you could melt them at a low temperature like a homemade permanent gel plate. Gel candle wax can be melted over and over, and gel candle wax appears to be made of similar ingredients
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Over time, I have found that the homemade Gelli Plates DO go rancid! Maybe, if one uses more alcohol, in making it, it won't. But, mine DID go rancid & I broke down & got a store bought Gelli Plate. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Over time, I have found that the homemade Gelli Plates DO go rancid! Maybe, if one uses more alcohol, in making it, it won't. But, mine DID go rancid & I broke down & got a store bought Gelli Plate. ;)
Thanks for the information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

You're welcome Ellaina! ;) You can find the store bought Gelli Plates fairly cheap now, depending on the size you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been making my own gel plates for many years now from high density candle gel. My original plates are still in great shape and I've been able to make any size or shape I want. It is basically the same polymerized mineral oil that the commercial gel plates use.

The low density and medium density candle gel from craft stores and candle suppliers are fine for candles but do not hold up well over time as gel plates since they are not as firm and will self level if they are not stored absolutely flat. They also don't hold up as well as the high density to mark making and the occasional finger poking. I clean mine with hand sanitizer for basic use and give them rub downs with mineral oil to get stubborn bits and stains off of them. If it needs repair from over zealous poking or sharp objects, I run my heat gun over the surface until it gets liquid and self levels to a smooth surface again. Once it is cool again it's as good as new. I don't know that method is recommended for the store bought gel plates, but it works for mine since the gel is made to be melted into a liquid in order to make candles with it.

It may not be the best thing for a rubber brayer, but I have used hand sanitizer gel to soften up acrylic paint on brayers, stencils and other tools until the paint is smooshy and it just rubs off after that. I realize this thread has been on going for a couple years now, but I just saw there was a new post that caught my attention.

Candi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Default storing my plates....

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I recently purchased three plates - 2 gel press and 4 " round gelli . I love LOVE love all the possibilities and am slowly starting another stamping related craft (haha)

I noticed the bubbles form with using the sheets they came with. I searched and here is what i am trying....

I bought from Esty a couple acrylic plates that are larger than the size of my gel plates - this makes it easier when monoprinting. Non skid shelf liner over plastic film (walmart material isle - to protect the kitchen counter island from stains and such) and the plate clings to the acrylic plate. Now my gel plate is anchored and doesn't move around and it protected on the bottom side.

Recap...(plastic film (or use a cheap outdoor table cloth) - non skid liner (cut slightly larger than my gel plate) - acrylic plate - gel plate )

I also purchased a Sterlite container that is a little larger than the 8x10 gel plate I have.

Trial storage is this: layered bottom first
non skid liner, acrylic plate, parchment paper cut slightly larger than gel plate, gel plate, parchment paper... and thin cardboard like a cereal box on top. Next...

I then have the additional gel press plates layered 5x7 and 4" round layered the same way.

I then added extra saved from trash bubble wrap to make it snug but not tight. and put the container lid on top.

There is nothing that can imprint on my gel plates and hopefully no more bubbles from protective covering on the plates.

Apologies if this didn't make sense as it did in my head as I was writing but hopefully it comes through enough.

If i don't add another post, then this worked and my acrylic sheet bubbles disappeared and all is good... Fingers crossed!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The Gelli Plate company told me they store theirs simply by placing copy paper between gelli plates and the stacks sit on a table. Of course we may not have the space or want to keep dog/cat fur off, so can keep them in their containers or put them in a box. I got rid of the sheets they came with and use copy paper - no bubbles.

I clean mine with a little Dawn in the sink IF I clean. Another way to clean is to brayer a thin coat of white paint over the Gelli Plate and pull a print. The first time I did that I was in a class and was tossing it away when the instructor yelled to stop. That ugly clean-up print became the mini index card book cover we we’re making.

Many mixed media artists never wash their plates. The first prints pulled will pull up paint underneath. My teacher kept hers in a baking pan. (I don’t know if it’s the same for homemade ones and sorry if I’m repeating what others have posted.)

Last edited by bjeans; 05-18-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Default gel plate bubbles and storage

Isn't the best solution the easiest? I wondered about copy paper and now I feel better trying it out.

I will give my plates a few days stored as they are to see if the surface bubbles flatten out and then I will try storing that way from now on.

Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Hmmm, I've been reading everyone's latest on the bubbles that form & thought I'd check mine...... Why is it that no one ever mentioned this before? I pulled mine out & sure enough! There they are! I store mine in the package it came in, that is what I thought was best & what had been said to do before. Copy Paper, here I come! LOL Now, all I have to do, is NOT FORGET where I put it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes