Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Cut These Things With A Cricut?

I have just had my Cricut (the original) for a couple of weeks. And I've only cut paper with it. So far so good. But I have heard that other materials can be cut in the Cricut. So I'm wondering...

Can you cut paper that has been backed with Xyron adhesive?

Can you cut fun foam?

Have you tried cutting fabric (asked this on a previous thread but didn't get the response I had hoped for so I'm trying again)?

What about thin sheet cork?

If you have cut any of these items, can you give advice on the settings (like speed, pressure, etc).

I've tried YouTube videos but I'm just not finding the answers I'm looking for. And searches on the Cricut site aren't working for me either (maybe because I'm not a member?).

Any help is greating appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

btt
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a cricut, but have only cut paper with it. I would suggest checking out the Cricut Messageboards because the answer you are looking for it probably there.. it is an awesome site. Pam

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/D...ookieSupport=1

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Default cricut

ok I'll tell you what I know....there is a deep cut blade coming out that can cut through chip board..not sure how thick though..and I havent bought mine yet but will..I love the idea of making my own chipboard...I'm not sure what that will cut when it comes out, but I'm sure more than chipboard
the regular one will cut the self adhesive vinyl...and it will cut the paper with xyron on the back, but you need to put the paper side down and cut the image in reverse if it makes a diff. I think my setting was on 5 ,
hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I have just had my Cricut (the original) for a couple of weeks.
peebsmama - I was wondering why you chose the original over the others. I want to purchase one eventually but wonder if I really need the big ones as I don't have little kids, or was it the price that made the decision for you??

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
ok I'll tell you what I know....there is a deep cut blade coming out that can cut through chip board..not sure how thick though..and I havent bought mine yet but will..I love the idea of making my own chipboard...I'm not sure what that will cut when it comes out, but I'm sure more than chipboard
the regular one will cut the self adhesive vinyl...and it will cut the paper with xyron on the back, but you need to put the paper side down and cut the image in reverse if it makes a diff. I think my setting was on 5 ,
hope this helps
There has been a lot of talk on the cricut boards about the new "deep blade housing". According to many people, they are disappointed as it is not delivering what they thought it would. Cutting chipboard is still pretty iffy and difficult, requiring the mutiple cut feature that may only be available in the Cricut Design Studio software.

Many have also said that the machine sounds as if it is struggling when trying to cut denser materials like chipboard.

I would do some research before investing in the new blade housing to make sure that it will do what you want. I personally think that the machine just doesn't have enough pressure to cut throught thick materials. But that's just MHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A word of caution about cutting something other than paper - this may void your warranty (there are probably several threads on this topic on the Cricut chat board).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimz1959View Post
peebsmama - I was wondering why you chose the original over the others. I want to purchase one eventually but wonder if I really need the big ones as I don't have little kids, or was it the price that made the decision for you??
I chose the original because I didn't ever see myself needing to cut something bigger than 5.5". And I have a limited amount of work table space in my workroom and the original is considerably smaller than the Expression. And of course, it is a lot less expensive. So far I have not been disappointed with my choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also have the original cricut and dont need the larger cutting capacity. I have the DS software and use that too.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
The expression also has a multi-cut feature. I also think that cereal box thickness is about the limit. Maybe a little thicker. I am going to try cutting fun foam when I get my blade (which may be here today).
I just got the deep cutting blade and it will cut chipboard the thickness of cereal box in one cut. It will not cut the thick chipboard. I didn't have any inbetween board to test. For the thin chipboard I cut at speed 4, pressure 4 and blade 4. The new blade does cut magnetic sheets. I found some at Joann's for $2.99 9x12 sheet.

Speed 3, pressure 5 and blade at 6 and it cuts like butter. The cricut magnetic material looks slightly thicker so you may have to use the multi cut feature.

I have the expression, don't know if the baby bug is different. So far I am happy with the new blade. I am going to make some magnetic paper dolls for my nieces. Going to glue on vinyl onto the magnets, will post how that works later.
Reply With Quote Likes