Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use nesties in old red sizzix?

I hope someone can answer this... I don't want to buy another machine as I have the old red one and a cricut.

TIA
Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can use the Nesties in the red Sizzix Press (the one with the pull down handle).

You need the Sizzix System Converter - the piece that is magnetic and snaps on so you can use Sizzlits. Then you also need a spacer plate. You can either buy one, or do what I did and buy a cheap CB folder (doesn't matter what pattern so I got a $1.99 one from OH MY CRAFTS) and use that as your spacer plate.

Here is your sandwich from bottom to top

White cutting plate
Paper face up
Die blade down
Spacer plate or CB folder

then put it through the machine, making sure to press down on each part.

To emboss, I remove the extra paper after the die is cut, pick it up, put silicone mat down, put the die back on the mat, blade down, top it with another silicone mat, then put it back through the machine. The cheapest way to do that is with the Spellbinders mats because they come in the two-pack, or you can buy plumbers gasket from the hardware store and cut it to size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I also use my original red sizzix for nesties. I just bought some of those cheap 5x7 magnetic frames that you just slide the photos in and broke them in half and use those as my extra plates. Works great. And it's easy to see where you place your nestie when you cut. No fears of it moving around when feeding through a cuttlebug or big shot. I love my big shot but still use my original sizzix for the nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea to use the frame, I really like that they'd be clear. I will have to try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I only own the red sizzix. I hadn't used it in years. Then I discovered that the Cuttlebug embossing folders and the nesties both work perfectly in it. I now have about 20 folders and at least 15 sets of nesties.

You will need a Sizzix System Converter if you don't already have one. This is that big magnetic piece that goes up under the top part of the machine. It costs about $15.

I agree with nikki (post #2) about the sandwich for cutting. But I didn't buy a spacer. Instead I cut three pieces of chipboard to 4-1/2 x 6" and taped them together on the sides. This turned out to be just the right width for the spacer. You may have to experiment with what works for you.

As far as the embossing, I have a different method than nikki. After cutting the shape, I make the following sandwich:
nestie, ridge side up
paper that was cut with the die inserted in the nestie
plumbers gasket
piece of fun foam
1 layer of chipboard

The plumber's gasket works perfectly and it only cost 98� at the hardware store. I think it was 6" square so I just trimmed it to fit in the machine. Same for the fun foam (the kind that comes in a sheet in the kid's craft aisle).

Check out this video on YouTube which shows the nesties being cut and embossed using the red sizzix. Remember though that the presenter is trying to sell you the spacer and embossing mats. You can use substitutes and they work just as well.

Oh... and I know you didn't ask about the Cuttlebug embossing folders, but you don't need any sandwich for that - just the Sizzix system converter. Just put your paper in the folder, put it on the white board and run it through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for asking this question. I have often wondered..since that machine was the first one I ever bought and hardly ever use since I got a bug.
Reply With Quote Likes