Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking can anyone recommend the best place to buy Prisma and gamsol in Australia

I am thinking of getting some Prismas pencils and gamsol or should I try Lyras.I have been using water colour pencils and am getting a bit frustrated when I do the larger areas all I get is a stripy effect.I have looked and asked but cant seem to rectify the problem.I have contacted a lot of ladies who's work I admire and they all seem to use Prismas and oms,but where do I get them from they seem so expensive.I am in N.S.W. in a regional area so I guess I will have to go online.If anyone has any advice please send it my way.Thanks so much.
Junnee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Junnee,
I am located in Victoria (Australia). Are you using really good quality watercolour paper with your watercolour pencils? I buy really good quality watercolour paper in pads from Riot Art and Craft - or any Art Supplies shop will sell the good stuff. I bought some really cheap watercolour paper from a $2 shop and it was terrible and the colour wouldn't spread properly across the image when I added water. The difference in results between using cheap paper and good quality is huge in my experience. Just curious: what brand of pencils are you using?

I do use Prismacolor pencils and Odourless Mineral Spirits - OMS - (same as Gamsol - just Art Spectrum brand) for colouring too (but not with watercolour paper as it doesn't work for those pencils) but the Prismas were very expensive when I bought them here in Australia - over $200 for a set of 120. Unfortunately, the cost by weight of getting a large set of them from the USA is alot (I wanted the set of 120) and it worked out almost the same to get them through an Art Store here and not worry that they disappeared in the post from overseas. I also use Derwent Coloursoft pencils which come in a set of 72 and were alot cheaper than the Prismas and they work perfectly with the OMS - their lead is just a bit more crumbly in texture compared to the very smooth lead of the Prisma.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes