Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I've cleared out most of the regrets and some items I'm using in different ways just to use them up

Ribbon, buttons, washi (use instead of painters tape)
Distress Markers
off-brand Gel Pens
Cinch
lighted self-healing mat board
diagonal score board
spray mists that clog
paper flowers (now I make my own)
Chalk
micro beads
loose chunky glitter
scrapbook paper stacks

My loves / must haves
MISTI
Big Shot
Copics
Marvy brush tip markers (I buy at the Uchida shop to make sure they are fresh)
Brusho & Bister
Pan Pastels
A lot (but not all because I didn't stamp for a few years) but most of the above. Just cleared out most of those to ebay or Goodwill. I have to add chipboard die cut shapes. I don't know where it came from. Out it will go.

I still haven't figured out why I need the Big Shot. I want the Brushos and I think I want alcohol markers. I am not sure about anymore stamps. And I have more ribbon than I can use in a lifetime. It's time to go.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Crafter's Yard Sale coming up...
If any of you live in Sacramento, CA, USA there is going to be a crafter's yard sale at a local scrapbooking store, June 13. Tables are $20. Contact me directly for more details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a Cuttlebug (still use it) for a long time and just bought the Big Shot for the magnetic platform and love it. Just got the precision plate and I've only gotten to use it a little but it worked great on a PTI plate that I could not get to cut no matter what I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

My list is so long. Since I do not live in the US, I've had to hoard up on supplies - except I think I hoarded too much.

1. Too much paper - DCWV stacks that I do not even want to look at but can't bear to part with as I hauled that all the way from US and paid for extra baggage. But it is still giving me nightmares.

2. Some stamps, most I do not use, I got rid of. Rest, I have taken out to see if I can find them a home.

3. Stickers ... OMG what was I thinking!!!? Again the moment I talk about throwing them away, someone dissuades me - but they are so pretty. Plus apparently crafters in my area know better and no one is wiling to buy these off of me LOL.

4. A box full of brads I hope I will use someday, to be fair they do get used sometimes. The eyelets, not so much. Thankfully I only bought 2 packs of those.

5. Ribbon. Those AC packs 'cos they are so cute. Have not used them in a while.

6. Zutter. Someone was selling theirs. I jumped at the chance. Have not tried it at all so far. Someone tell me that it is useful, please?

7. Spellbinder dies, which I have happily sold now.

8. DVD Cases for storing stamps. Since I switched to Tim Holtz Binder which is way easier to use.

9. Distress Paints - wish I had gotten more inks instead

10. Prima Color Bloom Spray - thankfully only got 3. I love their spray mechanism but that is about it.

11. Binder Rings 'cos I expected to use them for albums. I just do my own binding now.

12 - oh that damn green embossing powder with brown flecks LOL

And I still have a shopping list. Sigh.

Ok stuff I love and does used, sometimes more, sometimes less:
1. My Big Shot and Dies
2. Stamps that I do like
3. My mulberry flower collection
4. Sizzix Eclips
5. Distress Inks
6. Stencils
7. Rub ons
8. Chipboard
9. Dylusions Sprays, Lyndy's Sprays
10 My Kaisercraft and American Crafts cardstock and a few others that I definitely plan on using
11. Punches, though some get used more than others

Well this a good list to make - now I have an idea of what I need to get rid of

Last edited by Erum; 06-28-2015 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if it's the Zutter Bind It All, I would give it a try as binding systems are so much fun! You can make your own sketchbooks, scrapbooks, and mini books. I bought The Cinch from a member here, and have had a blast making books for my friends. Plus, it's a great way to use up paper and embellishments :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #46  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I was doing some cleaning/organizing today and found a whole bunch of packages of rub-ons. WTH was I thinking. I hardly used any of them and I'm sure they're all no good by now.
Oh I love rub-ons, especially the quotes. Don't worry, they will still get used somewhere. It is those darn stickers upon stickers upon stickers that worry me LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 01:53 AM   #47  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Well apparently after the rub-ons are older, they don't work anymore. :( So unless I find some trick to making them work, they're toast. I've had them for at least 5-6 yrs, probably more.
Uh oh. That means I should not have hoarded on those either!!! Sigh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

If you're into mixed media, watch a Christy Tomlinson video where she uses just parts of rub-ons on her canvases for texture. The way she does it, it doesn't matter if the whole image doesn't transfer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=gregzgurl;20974729]Maybe, on reflection, I should have said "stickers" - I think I've used one set of alphas one time only, and yet I have quite a collection - still part of the learning curve, but you'd think I could catch on before I acquired so many...[/QUO

Thankfully, stickers is the only supply I've never bought!
I regret the Spectrum Noir markers. They dried out. Now, I really don't use markers at all. I use my pencils.

Unfortunately, I hang onto all my papercrafting supplies. I can often use them in my sewing room. And if not, well I'll probably be glad I have all this crap in a few years when I'm retired and broke.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 225 Likes on 136 Posts

Haha sewnmachine, you made me laugh : )
I have many of the same consumables others have mentioned ; I used them all when they were trendy, but, like many of you, I bought TOO MUCH.
My biggest regrets are my Zutter Bind -it -All which was the original blue machine and is a PITA to use, along with a boatload of binding coils :( That and my Big Bite Cropadile (what the heck did I need that for), were my most regretted purchases.

I don't regret at all:
Cuttlebug
Big Shot
Dies and embossing folders
Milwaukee heat tool
Carl heavy duty rotary trimmer
Tonic guillotine cutter
Copics
Prismacolor pencils
Distress inks
MISTI
Most of my rubber stamps. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I did that exact thing with "Knobbly Gnomes" - stalked Ebay and b/s/t here for probably 2 years or more, waiting for one to come up at a price I was willing to pay. Finally got one - great excitement! Stamped it once to make sure it stamped correctly. Haven't used it since.

The funny thing is, I still don't regret buying it. I know that I will use it someday
I stalked Knobbly Gnomes for forever before I scored it, too. I've only used it a couple of times, but it's one of the few sets that I will NEVER get rid of, even if all I do is look at it - it makes me happy every time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are so many candidates for "bad ideas" purchase.

I just bought the Sizzix Ink pad and sheets. I had told myself not to but, well I went brain dead and did it anyway. They work but not well, not smooth. And it takes a bit of fiddling around to get it just right. I had this great idea of "printing" thank you on paper and using my defuser for my embossing folder and making a neat card. But it is just too splotchy to look good. And then that brings up the defuser...they work but I use it so seldom so the jury is still out on that right now.

I just bought the Sizzix Plus (had an old Big Kick/Big Shot that worked fine) and I am glad I did. It is a good machine and works great, just like my old one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Every time one of these "regret" threads start up, I make the mistake of reading it while at work and by the 10th post or so I'm crying from laughing so hard because I can usually reply "Me too!!" to so many of them!

Not too many regrets (luckily) and recently I've reorganized my craft area and now some of my regrets are actually being used!! It was worth the mess while I was working on it.

My #1 regret was a tag maker, but I bought that used so I wasted less money. #2 regret is ugly paper. 'Cuz why did I *evah* think some of that was going to be usable?

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a few of regrets too
I regret buying:

Alcohol inks, TH applicators and glossy paper .
Most of my ribbon
Seam binding because I don't like the old wrinkled look
Please don't shoot arrows, but I regret buying a MISTI. I have only used it a couple of times. I generally use die cuts or stamp outlines to color with my Copics and I don't need a special stamping tool to do that .
My Mega mount works better for background stamps

In all cases I didn't carefully consider my stamping style before I bought these products. They look like great ideas but are not useful for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I chuckled as I read this post.

Ribbon? I LOVE ribbon! Sure, I have enough to wrap around the globe 2 or 3 times... :rolleyes: But I do use it. I even checked my gallery: 60 cards on the first page of my gallery have ribbon. That doesn't count bakers twine.

I do regret some of my clear stamps. I struggle to get good images with them. And there are some lined images that really are great for coloring, but I stink at coloring. I don't have the $$ to invest in quality alcohol/blendable markers, so I use those stamps much less than I anticipated. I don't exactly regret them; some day I will probably use them more.

I regret buying fabric to match DSP... a short lived thing in the SU catalogs. I do NOT sew. I cut some fabric to use in lieu of ribbon (despite having enough to wrap around the globe...) but it generally stays put. I may plan a day to just dig in to one of the patterns, like I do with a DP pack, and make lots of cards at once.

I regret my alphabet dies. I rarely use them, and spent a chunk of change on them. Yet, I am hesitant to part ways... I have issues. LOL

I have lots of big buttons, but since I started using them on handmade gift bags, I have used more of them. This means I need to make a lot more bags.

Oh...and remember the SU felt snowflakes? I used some of the white and baja breeze ones. But the others were in riding hood red, I guess to coordinate with dsp. Who wants red snowflakes??? Seems quite odd. Perhaps I need more friends who are into zombies. ;-)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some of my regrets are things that kind of haunt me... I still feel like I should make some use of certain things, but I don't like being haunted so I'm ready to purge instead.

Cinch - finally gave up on the idea of making books. If I do, I can find some other way to bind them. Need the space!

Silhouette Portrait - This is sort of a love-hate item. Like the Cinch, it works great, lives up to the promises... but I just.. don't ... use it.

Ribbon - like many of you mentioned, just doesn't work for me. The only one I ever got a lot of use out of was black and white checked. My last ribbon purchase was for some very pretty May Arts ribbon that I can't bear to part with. Like someone mentioned, I have used it for packages so it's justified to keep it!

Twine - got a great deal on some American Crafts variety of colors, and I'm just hanging onto it for household use or maybe my daughter will want it for a project some time.

Patterned Paper! I have a few Graphic 45 and old Basic Grey left, and that's it. No more! There was a lot of patterned paper I bought and then purged. Lesson learned.

Too many colors of cardstock. It is SO easy to love, love, love colors! How can we resist? But cardstock takes up so much space and is hard to resell ... I should have
relied on other things for my color. I wish I had only ever bought white, black and kraft.

Sewing machine. I bought an inexpensive craft sewing machine and never used it.

Buttons. Ugh. I got tired of that look very quickly.

It's so interesting to think about the regrets. I still have quite a few supplies that I used on a regular basis but card making for me nowadays would be extremely different. I'm hanging onto some things because I've used them a lot in the past (like sticky rhinestones!) ... but I'm beginning to wonder if I should even let go of some non-regrets that just don't suit me anymore. Hmmm... I may eliminate embellishments altogether. Brave or crazy?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Envelope punch board - worked great but never used it...thought I'd love to make envelopes from old calendars, patterned papers, etc.... Nope!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

I have to laugh – some people's biggest regrets are things I currently use most often! But I guess that just shows that we need to know ourselves and keep up as we change as crafters. At least I stop myself now before buying yet another flower stamp set and say Do we really need this?!
Reply With Quote Likes