Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them...I like them a lot.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #82  
Insane Embellisher

I've only had my pads for about six months and haven't had a proble with them yet, I also like that they are a bit "harder" to get into cause if I drop one it does not pop open. I note no to Boycotting Su pads!!!
(I'm not a demo)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

I read about this when I first started stamping, and I adjusted where I stamp. I stamp the edges if I have smaller stamps. Never the middle. I've never had this problem. Not with any of my pads, and I have had all 48 of them for 3 1/2 years.
I've read that many of the other brands will do the same thing if you stamp in the middle all the time.
Good luck resolving your problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

Stampin up pads are the best and if you find something you like better and it works for you ,then that is your choice. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes.:p
I have not had any trouble with my pads and they have dipped in the middle .:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #85  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcwife
Stampin up pads are the best and if you find something you like better and it works for you ,then that is your choice. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes.:p
I have not had any trouble with my pads and they have dipped in the middle .:p
I totally agree with you.. My customers all love them too, I have MANY that order an ink pad or two EVERY time they order!! They want the entire set!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #86  
Crimping Master

I LOVE SU and was VERY happy with the old pads. In fact, I even bought some used ones from people on this site to replace the ones that were looking pretty bad. Unfortunately, I have had to buy the new style because a "had" to have the new colors but I have been very unhappy with the fraying, caving and overall wear of the new pads....not to mention that they are not nearing as easy to open and close. Like I said...I love SU but none of my friends like the new pads at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

I've been reading this thread and noting how different we all are in the features we look for in ink pads.

I love the way SU pads open and close. Before SU, I had to rubber band my inkpads to make sure they stayed closed when I stored them upside down so that the pad would stay juicy on top. Before the rubber bands, a pad would fall open and dry up, and the store didn't carry the re-inkers so I had to buy another pad. Now I can be sure that the pad will be stored correctly, will stay closed, and I even have a palette for watercoloring in the lid.

I understand that a dip in the center could be a problem for inking up background stamps. I have always used the "lay the stamp rubber side up" method and it's worked pretty well for me.

Everyone has to make an ink pad choice for themselves. For me the benefits of the SU pads far outweigh a slight dip in the center and a few stray threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #88  
Crimping Master

I love SU inks....the way tey match and how big they are...i just trim when I need to and alo if they are concave..I just tap all round and level it out.

http://stampingmarina.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

SU ink good...very good.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #90  
Watercolor Wizard

I love my SU! pads and would not trade them for anything else. except for more SU! pads.

Mine are a bit frayed and some are concave, but you know those great scissors we own??? I used them to give my pads a haircut. I only notice the concave if they are not as juicy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't mind the SU pads when I had them. I started using Palette Hybrid Ink Pads because TAC sells them and I wouldn't go back. Having a lid that comes off works better for me. The lid also snaps on the bottom of the pad for a good grip. And I like that you can use it on any surface.

There's something out there for everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #92  
Stampin' Fool

Oh never, never, never, would I boycott my SU! Stamp pads, sorry.
Hey I kind of dip in the middle and look frayed around the edges too! No really I don't find those things effect my stamping with the ink pads, it just seems cosmetic mostly. As for the dipping, be gentle, but I also heard the pads are flexiable, making it possible of you to press on them when they are closed, to make that ink drop on the lid that can be used for watercoloring.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #93  
Kookie Creator

My first inkpad (black) was frayed and concave. I have to admit I was surprised and a little disappointed.

I am even more dismayed to find so many people who have the same problem.

Why doesn't SU! fix them...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default OWWWWWWWWWWIEEE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
You know...I like the inkpads for the most part....

Except the time I snapped my finger in one and had to get stitches....

But mine do bow in the middle a bit....that's annoying.

Holy Cow Batman what the ^^^ did you do???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #95  
Mad Swapper

I love my SU ink pads!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #96  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyetarr
My first inkpad (black) was frayed and concave. I have to admit I was surprised and a little disappointed.

I am even more dismayed to find so many people who have the same problem.

Why doesn't SU! fix them...?
The pads aren't actually defective, and do indeed function. It's not impossible to ink up a stamp based on the pad's design, there are simply nuances in how to do it best, depending on the size of the stamp being inked.

I guess they could shrink the size of the pad, and completely modify the construction of the case. But, that would require a substantial re-investment in research and re-design, and then a complete overhaul of the manufacturing.

Then, there's the issue of what to do with the hundreds of thousands of dollars contracted for payment to the manufacturer for the pads as they are. They may be under obligation to pay for so many produced before they can even consider re-vamping the product, and starting fresh all over again . . . :confused:

We as consumers don't always realize the costly ramifications of re-designing a product, after serious investment has already been devoted to it. And, please don't misunderstand me--I'm not saying that to be sarcastic--only that it (re-design) may not be as simple as we consumers imagine it is?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

Part of the issue is SU! claiming to not have heard of this issue. I am not impressed with this issue and consider it a design flaw. Do I expect them to have a brand new pad design tomorrow? No. Would at least like to hear they are working on it and taking me seriously? Yes.

Even if only 30% of us consider this a problem that would still be a substanial drop in sales that no company would want to see.

As a non-demo, I want more demo's and the company to hear me out when I see a problem/design flaw instead of giving reasons why the design flaw is ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #98  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavafrogg
Part of the issue is SU! claiming to not have heard of this issue. I am not impressed with this issue and consider it a design flaw. Do I expect them to have a brand new pad design tomorrow? No. Would at least like to hear they are working on it and taking me seriously? Yes.

Even if only 30% of us consider this a problem that would still be a substanial drop in sales that no company would want to see.

As a non-demo, I want more demo's and the company to hear me out when I see a problem/design flaw instead of giving reasons why the design flaw is ok.
I understand where you are coming from.

I am not going to be a demonstrator much longer, but, regardless of whether I'm a demo'r or not, in all honesty, I personally don't consider the pads to be flawed.

But, in any case, if you feel your demonstrator is not hearing you out, I would strongly and genuinely encourage you to seek one that will. I have always taken the concerns of my customers seriously, and forwarded them on to the company, along with my own, when I have had them.

I would also urge any consumer to communicate their concerns over the product directly to the company! I really do believe that doing that is the best way to affect change.

:grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #99  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
communicate their concerns over the product directly to the company!
This is probably the key in this situation and many others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #100  
Matboard Maniac

hmmm, you, the original poster make no sense. Why are you boycotting something you haven't purchased in years, don't you have anything else to do. Maybe they improved and you don't know about it because you haven't bought it in years, so are you just going by word of mouth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #101  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I saw your post and I'd just like to say that demos are SU's customers, just like you. We get a discount, but we don't get any more say about their product development than other customer. So while a demo may hear you out, ultimately she is powerless to change SU's company policy or their product design decisions. Therefore, the best way to let SU know you are unhappy with the pad design (or any other item) is to contact SU directly.

As for our justification of the pads, many of us became demos because we love these products (I know I did) so when we're commenting on why we like them we're really stating our personal preferences, not some "company line".

I just think it's great that we have this forum where we can get everyone's opinion on a product. On some occasions I have even changed my mind about a product after reading someone else's post and seeing the product in a new light. No one is really right or wrong on this issue -- we just have different priorities and preferences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #102  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrykids
hmmm, you, the original poster make no sense. Why are you boycotting something you haven't purchased in years, don't you have anything else to do. Maybe they improved and you don't know about it because you haven't bought it in years, so are you just going by word of mouth.
:-) Genius! High five.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

So if they changed the design to make the 30% that have a problem happy then the other 70% would be upset.

This is not considered a design flaw. There is a difference in a product being defective and there being trade offs with it. The trade off for a larger pad surface and the flip top may be some sagging in the middle, where there is no support and where a stamp is tapped over and over. As far as the hanging threads, that, in my experience is caused by the stamper rubbing a stamp on the pad.

I personally would NOT like the pads if the lid came off, I love the design now for many reasons: No lost lids, pads don't dry out, I can water color from them, my kids can't open them, etc.

I would not buy hybrid inks because I LOVE that SU's color match. I also wouldn't go unmounted because I would loose stamps and would find it time consuming to mount them every time I used them. But, that's just ME. Clearly there are people who don't feel that way which is why there are so many companies on this board.

The bottom line is no company is ever going to please everybody. That's ok. They're stamps and ink people. No one is saying your new baby is ugly :mrgreen: If they're not for you, then, you know, don't BUY them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #104  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
So if they changed the design to make the 30% that have a problem happy then the other 70% would be upset.
I highly doubt that 70% of their clientele would be upset if the pad rarely sagged in the middle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #105  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdiane
No one is really right or wrong on this issue -- we just have different priorities and preferences.
Absolutely!

Everybody is entitled to their opinions and preferences, and, they should be able to voice it without fear of repercussion.

SCS supports healthy discussion/debate, as long as the TOS is abided by:

Quote:

Originally Posted by excerpt from the SCS TOS
Abusive comments, flaming, or derogatory insults are strictly against the rules. If you must disagree with another member's point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. If someone posts to discuss their personal opinions, or seeks help from other forum members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add. If you do not like what a particular member has posted, please remember that each person is entitled to their opinion, even if it differs from your own.
And, I will repeat: Any suggestions or requests for modification or improvement in a product should indeed be sent directly to the manufacturer for the best hope of affecting change.

Now, ya'all have a stamp-happy afternoon, eh?! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I highly doubt that 70% of their clientele would be upset if the pad rarely sagged in the middle.
I would be upset if that improvement came at the expense of the other features I DO like. YOU said:

Quote:

My point was if modifying the design caused the other 70% to not like the product then it would not be a smart me. I personally would not be willing to change the size of the pad or the way it closes.

The fact that we don't agree does not make me wrong. We just have different features that we feel are important in a product and obviously this product is not meeting your needs. It is, however meeting the needs of others. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. THAT was my point. There are products here that others rave about that don't meet my needs and others RAVE about them. I'm not mad. I just don't buy something unless it works for me, now. Not the way I wish it was or could be (I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted the Cuttlebug to work for me...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #107  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
I would be upset if that improvement came at the expense of the other features I DO like. YOU said:

My point was if modifying the design caused the other 70% to not like the product then it would not be a smart move. I personally would not be willing to change the size of the pad or the way it closes.

The fact that we don't agree does not make me wrong. We just have different features that we feel are important in a product and obviously this product is not meeting your needs. It is, however meeting the needs of others. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. THAT was my point. There are products here that others rave about that don't meet my needs and others RAVE about them. I'm not mad. I just don't buy something unless it works for me, now. Not the way I wish it was or could be (I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted the Cuttlebug to work for me...)
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

I too love SU ink pads. Nothing compares for price, quality and the matchin' factor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #109  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Oh I don't agree with this... I mean, she probably has friends that stamp. I think having a positive discussion about things is fine. She's certainly entitled to boycott whatever she wants to!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #110  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I simply enjoy stamping in general, I would have to say I like all of my ink pads, SU and other brands. I tend to use my SU ones more often due to the coordination with card stock and such. Plus I can leave them "out" in my caddy without fearing that my kids will accidentally open the pads and make a mess. Like many other items, I use what I see so I use my SU ones most of the time. Some pads do dip a bit in the middle, but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying my crafting. Once in a while I need to trim some threads, but again, that does not ruin my fun. For me, frustration only occurs when I don't have time to stamp.

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I suppose this might be confusing, but I really like the whole color match thing and would love to have SU! make ink pads that work better (apparently, for me and a minority of folk, since by this thread it seems like there are plenty of stampers who either don't notice this problem or who work around it without trouble). The whole color match thing with markers, ink and paper is one thing I like about SU! and why I keep whinin' about it (the inferior ink pads) (I know! I know! Most of the gang loves their ink pads --- I got that! )... and yes I've voiced my concerns in the SU! direction as well.

As for how do I know/not know about the design, I stamp with buddies who are demos pretty regularly, and the ink pad design is something I've been keeping an eye on.

(For the record, IMO the "don't you have anything else to do" was a cheap shot, but I thought your main question was a fair one.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 AM   #112  
Glitter Queen

I love my stamp pads. I also just snip the edges if they fray. As far as them dipping in the middle, I usually will hold my stamp upside down and tap on the stamp with the edges of the pad. Inks up just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #113  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsmomthestamper
Holy Cow Batman what the ^^^ did you do???
I uh...*blush* was closing the stamp pad and just snapped the pad of my finger in it. It was....not pretty. And the doctor laughed at me. Alot.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #114  
Mad Swapper

I've been using the same SU pads for over 5yrs. I have stamped the heck out of those things. NO Dips! But I ink up all over the pad, not just in the middle. Some fraying but I am guilty of stamp rubbing. Being a demo really has nothing to do with my comment because I account for 99% of my own sales. Just my $.02!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #115  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with the earlier poster (sorry, forgot who?) who said you might need to keep them inked up more. I live in a dry climate and just have to reink more than most of you! If the pad is dipping in the middle, that is one of the signs I need to reink! I have mostly the older SU pads, but am getting more and more of the newer ones as SU makes all these great new colors! I love the larger size for my basic black and basic brown, too as you can ink up larger stamps more easily. I find that I tend to like the ink pads that I can buy reinkers for the most, so the spectrum pads are my second favorite ink pads and I still have a lot of the old Tsunikeo (spelling?) ones that are still in terrific shape if I have the reinkers for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #116  
Polyshrink Goddess

2 ideas -

the first is a product called "Fray-check"... just a SMALL amount around the edges prevents the fraying... use with caution cause too much can cause rough edges... and that can be worse than fraying...

The second Reinkers and blank ink pads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #117  

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkymommy
I've been using the same SU pads for over 5yrs. I have stamped the heck out of those things. NO Dips! But I ink up all over the pad, not just in the middle. Some fraying but I am guilty of stamp rubbing. Being a demo really has nothing to do with my comment because I account for 99% of my own sales. Just my $.02!
If you have had your pads for over 5 years, then they are NOT the new style that everyone is talking about. The old ones didn't dip because there was no place to dip. The new ones have a space under them once they are opened.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
If you have had your pads for over 5 years, then they are NOT the new style that everyone is talking about. The old ones didn't dip because there was no place to dip. The new ones have a space under them once they are opened.
Actually, ;) I've been stamping for almost five years, and I started right when the new pads came out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Actually, ;) I've been stamping for almost five years, and I started right when the new pads came out.
DOH! Sorry Kathy....that's what I get for not reading carefully. :rolleyes: I see what you are saying now. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #120  

I just checked the catalog, and they were introduced in the July 2002 catalog. So yeah, four years is good.

Reply With Quote Likes