Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a MM cutter, need help

I purchased a Making Memories paper trimmer based on recommendations here. Bought it about 2 weeks ago when I had a 50% off coupon at Michaels. However, I just had the opportunity to use it yesterday. It seemed that whenever I used the blade starting at the bottom going up, it would catch about 1" up. It doesn't do this when it goes from the top down. This is with just one sheet of cardstock. Is this normal? Should I take it back? I already through the cardboard packaging away, not the box, just the protective inside part. Should I call MM?
Thanks!
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Smile cutter

Contact MM online. They have excellent customer service- very helpful and fast. I have had my cutter for a few years with no problem but sometimes they go off track. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

since you haven't had it too long I would try and exchange it for a different one at Michaels. that's not a normal problem, and it sounds like it's a faulty blade or something. If Michaels' won't exchange it, contact MM online. But just to let you know, they do not have any trimmers in stock right now. I am waiting for a replacement for mine as the numbers are wearing off, and the emailed me to say that they won't be shipping until the end of april... simply a FYI!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

The customer service at MM is AWESOME! I was having trouble with my trimmer. It seems like the blad isn't sharp and my paper is fraying. (I HATE that!!!) Well, I emailed them for help and they emailed me back within 2 hours with something to try.

I tried their suggestion and still don't have the results I want. I emailed back asking for another suggestion and, within the hour, was told to complete the replacement information on their website. (I wasn't looking for a replacement--just a way to fix the one I have because I love it so much!)

Well, I got another email the other day letting me know that they were out of trimmers but wanted to verify my shipping address and assured me that I was on the list to get one when their shipments were mailed at the end of April.

I was VERY impressed with not only their prompt and courteous responses, but also with the fact that I didn't have to jump through hoops to get things handled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I tried sliding the red piece up to adjust the cutting arm. Saw that suggestion in another thread. Couldn't slide the piece at all. Must be jammed. I checked my receipt and I only bought it a week ago. I won't be able to return it til Monday, but I'll try exchanging it at M's first. If it is still faulty, I'll go through MM website.
Thanks, everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplescrapperView Post
I tried sliding the red piece up to adjust the cutting arm. Saw that suggestion in another thread. Couldn't slide the piece at all. Must be jammed. I checked my receipt and I only bought it a week ago. I won't be able to return it til Monday, but I'll try exchanging it at M's first. If it is still faulty, I'll go through MM website.
Thanks, everyone!!
Yes, if you can' t move the red lever to adjust and realign the cutting blade, that sounds like it might be defective. It's really a great trimmer and I hope you can get another one.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had my MM trimmer just under a year, and the cutting had become terrible. Took the blade arm off and found out that the blade was all nicked up. I've never cut anything more than 1 sheet of cardstock, and no other material, in the cutter.

Right now, I'm still waiting for an answer on replacement. Until I found my receipt, they had said if it was over 1 year, they wouldn't do anything. Fortunately, I found the receipt from when I ordered it--and it was just under a year. AND they told me that they don't sell a replacement cutting head. So I wait.

One thing I noticed in the meantime, is that the Dahle personal trimmer cutting head looks almost identical. Does anyone know if perhaps Dahle makes the MM one? And if they would be interchangeable? I e-mailed Dahle CS, but there hasn't been time for an answer yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my first MM cutter for under 6 months before it started shredding the cs. I took the cutter and the shredded paper back to Michael's and they gave me store credit for it. I bought another MM cutter with another 50% off Michael's coupon and haven't had real trouble with it, but it does sort of 'snag' an inch or so up from the bottom at times. Maybe I have something caught in the trough.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I am going to head to Michael's today in hopes for an exchange. I have my receipt and hope they don't just give store credit! I am hoping for an even exchange - another cutter. Otherwise, I will have to wait until I have another 50% off coupon.
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

could someone give the contact info. i've had no luck in finding the customer service contacts. thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Exchanged my trimmer today. It was so easy, I couldn't believe it. She let me do an even exchange and literally, I just gave her the old one and walked out with a new one. Didn't use the register at all, didn't write on my receipt, nothing!

I see what you all mean now about the red clip. It really slides out easily. The one I returned didn't budge at all. Definitely think I got a better one. Once I get to making something, we'll see!

Thanks, everyone.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes