Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobo with Scor Pal

Am I the only bobo who has difficulty with the Scor Pal? Every time I try to run the line, I bump out of the groove and my score is all crooked and my paper is ruined. What am I doing wrong?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lisa, have you watched the tutorial video on the Scor-Pal? You may be holding the tool wrong. What kind of paper are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Lisa,
This is old and from the original scor-pal and not the new and improved but the basics are very much the same. Go ahead and watch this, watch how she uses her tool, and try to mimic that.

‪Scor-Pal - very basic folds and user directions‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Or you could use a regular stylus tool, you know the metal ones with a little ball on each end. That's what I use because it makes the line a bit finer than the scoring tool they provided and I think it's easier to score with. SU is going to be selling one in their upcoming Holiday mini catalog to work with their new score board, but you can find these in any craft store for a couple of bucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Lisa G.....You do need to take care when using the scoring tool and board. Just go a bit slower and pay attention to what you're doing. I'm betting you're trying to go too fast when scoring and not paying attention.

Be sure you're holding both the paper and score tool firmly also.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

thanks all! I was holding the stylus wrong -- 90-degree angle. but i'm going to try the ball stylus too, as I see where it might be easier. And slowing down will help -- everyone I see using scor pal moves so quickly -- thought I could too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa G.View Post
thanks all! I was holding the stylus wrong -- 90-degree angle. but i'm going to try the ball stylus too, as I see where it might be easier. And slowing down will help -- everyone I see using scor pal moves so quickly -- thought I could too.
Yes, Lisa, slow and easy works.

I'm always telling people, remember you didn't take up this wonderful hobby to SAVE time.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default No problem with mine

I have no problem with mine. I gave away the old one and got a new one and a score tool. At first the score tool was a bit sharp and would put a small slice in the thinner paper but after a bit of use, it is great now. I also learned not to press too hard.

Love the thing. Easy to make your own envelopes, any size you like. New one even came with instructions for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I have seen the following tip many times: Do NOT hold the tool straight up and down in an attempt to score with the very tip. You should be using the slopey side of the tool's tip (imagine cutting into your dinner with knife and fork... you don't use the 'tip' of your knife, but rather the edge sloping away from the tip).
Whenever people mention that they have worn down the tip of their scor-tool, I think to myself "oops, you're likely using the tool at the wrong angle"

And eventually, like any tool we work with, you get a bit faster with time. I think a lot of it also has to do with the working angle your chair puts you at relative to your table surface. Often, the people you see scoring quickly are standing (at a convention table, doing a video, etc.), which means they have a good downward hold on their paper and tool. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa G.View Post
When I started with the Scor-Pal I had to go pretty slow too. Now I can whip through a pile of Cardstock, and score it into cards pretty fast. I didn't start out fast though! Soon you will get faster, but go slow at first! I tried the Stylus thingie, didn't really like it, but it works really well for other people! You can give it a try I like the deep score the scor-tool provides because I use thick cardstock (120#) for most of my bases and all of my boxes.

Just come here and ask if you have troubles! We're here to help! And to cheer you on
Reply With Quote Likes