Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #1  
Swapper of the Month December 2011

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Blotchy Coverage Question

Hi
Please take a peek at the pic attached to this post. I am looking for any help, clues, suggestions as to why I keep getting blotchy coverage when I stamp this sentiment. I want a clean, crisp look but its just not working.
Help!
Thanks in advance,
Lori
Blotchy Coverage Question-blotchy-coverage-question.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you give us more information? What is the stamp made of...rubber or clear stamp? what kind of inks have you tried? I've had the same thing happen and had to try different inks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all...try stamping in Versamark and then cleaning. That should help remove any residue left from the vulcanizing process. Second, turn the stamp image side up and take your pad to your stamp vs. taking the stamp to the pad. I have found that I get much better coverage on 'solid' stamps that way. Another thing you could try is brayering the ink onto the stamp. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #4  

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Can you give us more information? What is the stamp made of...rubber or clear stamp? what kind of inks have you tried? I've had the same thing happen and had to try different inks.
Thank you for replying!

It is the clear photopolymer stamp from Neat and Tangles and so far Ive tried Memento, MFT ColorBox and Gina K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
First of all...try stamping in Versamark and then cleaning. That should help remove any residue left from the vulcanizing process. Second, turn the stamp image side up and take your pad to your stamp vs. taking the stamp to the pad. I have found that I get much better coverage on 'solid' stamps that way. Another thing you could try is brayering the ink onto the stamp. HTH
Thank you for the ideas.

You are correct in assuming that this was my first time using this stamp and I was also wondering if there was someting on the stamp. What would you clean it with? I normally use a Wet One.
I have not tried versamark yet but I did try turning the stamp to ink instead of ink to stamp and ended up with the same result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Before I bought stamp cleaner....I used Simple Green. It won't harm the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Inking a solid clear stamp can be a challenge, more so even than a solid rubber stamp in my experience. If you have cleaned your stamp of residues, and it is still not giving you a clear image, then you are going to have to experiment with different inks.

Other than the ones you mentioned you could try an oil-based ink like Versafine. I use Versafine on my photopolymers (and N&T stamps are photopolymers) and it often works great. Other inks that work really well on my photopolymers are Hero Arts Shadow Inks (great inks that will start off looking blotchy but will dry and look very even) and Papertrey dye ink (PTI only makes photopolymers and I have found that their inks seem to work especially well with them). I have also used Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink with success, but be aware that this ink will stain your clears more than other types of ink. I personally don't care if my clears are stained, but you might.

You also might need to experiment with how you stamp. It's easy to think that more pressure will yield a better image, but sometimes too much pressure does not allow the ink to spread properly with a clear stamp. Try tapping your ink onto your stamp (as opposed to tapping your stamp onto the pad) and looking at it under good light to see that it is evenly inked. On a photopolymer, the ink might not ever look completely even like it does on a rubber stamp, but that's the nature of photopolymers. The ink will bead a bit, but tap until it looks like you've hit every spot. Then stamp without pressing really hard. That might help.

As for cleaning, here's what the N&T website says:

How should I clean my stamps?

There are 3 ways I alternate between to keep my stamps clean

1. Use a good cleaner, like Ultra Clean, and a stamp scrubber (especially if you've let them sit for a while and the ink is dry)

2. Wipe with baby wipes (great to do right when you finish up stamping)

3. A little mild soap and water

In the end, there are some solid stamps that refuse to ever give a perfectly solid image. I have some, and I just have accepted that this is the way they will stamp. I love them for what the are, and use them anyway. Handmade cards are not supposed to look perfect. Only machine made cards are.

Others will no doubt have further tips and advice for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I prime my clear stamps with a pink eraser. Just lightly rub the eraser on the whole stamp and then clean the stamp. After that, inking even solid stamp images usually come out great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that stamp. I get fine coverage using a chalk based pigment ink, like Fresh or Amuse. Versamagic also works great. Dye inks rarely give good coverage on solid stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Another tip with new stamps is to go all over the surface with a piece of sellotape- just pressing it on and pulling it back off. you will see a film of powder on the tape after. Clear 'solid' stamps are definitely the most difficult to get a good print, but most people seem to do best with a 'chalk' type ink-like the colorbox ones. Another thing that affects the image is the quality of the clear stamp- not all clear stamps are made the same! Some are quite solid- usually photopolymer- and generally stamp best. Some are quite soft and squishy, and as Rachelrose says, these will need less pressure to get a good clear image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same problem with some of mine. I have switched to using Stephanie Barnard inks. These pads have no pattern or anything to make splotches. I love her ink pads and pretty much use them exclusively. I get them from " Stampsoflife.com " They are also a great with their customer service. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #12  

Hi everyone,
I just want to say thank you soon much for all of your great ideas. Even though I've been stamping for a few years now, I have a lot to learn about the different inks, stamps and cleaners. I will continue to try all of these.

I am thinking it may be the wetone that is causing part of the problem. The other part is more than likely operator error. I have just started to try different inks and different stamp companies. I did not realize there were so many different stores, techniques and ideas! I've been living in a SU! bubble.

Thank you again for all the help. This is why I love SCS -- the people. I can always find help, guidance and even encouragement when needed. My mum passed away about three weeks ago and I miss my daily talks with her, my BFF. Some days, like today, are worse than others but I can always find someone to talk to or something to make me smile on SCS. You are the best ladies!!

I will update when I have accomplished a clean, solid image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a blog post a while ago, comparing different inks on clear 'solid' stamps-the link is HERE if you wanted to take a look. The main ink I was trying out was called Clearly Better, which I think may have been discontinued since, or it may just have been discontinued as a stock item by the person I bought from, I'm not sure, but my try out uses 7 different inkpad brands.
So sad to read of your loss, you must be devastated. Sending love and hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Sorry for you loss.

I also have trouble with different inks. In fact I have been known to throw brand new ink pads in the garbage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, condolences Lori. Hoping for healing and peace for you.
Reply With Quote Likes