Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Storage Cubes

I've seen so many nice craft spaces done with the white storage cubes found at Michael's, Target, etc... I'd love to add some of these in my work space, but I have mostly all wood toned or black storage pieces, and I'd like to somewhat match what I already have. I've done some searches but I'm only coming up with the white painted ones...anyone know of a good source for black or wood toned cubes? TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Bummer...I was hoping somebody here would have something in their space like I'm looking for and direct me to a good source. I did find these:

http://store.scrapbook.com/pcp-cu111.html

Create and organize your space with plastic modular storage cubes from iCube -- the possible combinations are endless, stack them any way you like! iCubes are easy to put together with sturdy snap-lock design. No tools required sets up in minutes! Includes:
  • One cubes (four sides and one back)
  • Three matching side inserts
  • Four cube connector blocks
  • Eight twist locks
  • Each cube measures approximately 13.7" x 13.7" x 13.7"

Sounds good except they are made of plastic. Wonder how sturdy these are? Anyone know? My plan is to have stacked cubes with a peice of countertop on top of the stack to create another desk/work surface in my room. Wondering if these will work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Target has the Black ones on their website but they cost twice as much as the white. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Michaels sells a wood tone one also
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

can you try spray painting the white ones? They do have a sort of smooth finish, but i'm guessing there has to be a paint that will work. Maybe it would even be easy to paint it all before assembling? just don't cover up the holes or anything.

When i first got mine I didn't really want white either, so I thought about just making fabric runners for them, but I moved them anyways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
Target has the Black ones on their website but they cost twice as much as the white. HTH!
good reason to go w/ white
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the black ones in the Target add just a week or two ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks...I'll have to check out Target again. When I was in the store & online I only saw white ones. BUT...like someone mentioned above, if they are twice the price I guess I'll settle for white!

Quote:

can you try spray painting the white ones? They do have a sort of smooth finish, but i'm guessing there has to be a paint that will work. Maybe it would even be easy to paint it all before assembling? just don't cover up the holes or anything.

When i first got mine I didn't really want white either, so I thought about just making fabric runners for them, but I moved them anyways.
I thought about doing this as well...BUT I don't think I feel like dealing with spray painting them right now. I just want to put them in and be done. Plus I think there would be some sanding or other base coat involved or the paint might easily scrape off. :confused:

Quote:

Michaels sells a wood tone one also
I'm going to have to check that out. I looked at them in the store, but only saw white ones. It would be great to be able to get what I want there with a coupon! I think on Thanksgiving weekend they have a coupon off the whole purchase instead of just one item. I've never been brave enough to go there and deal with the major crowd...but I may just do it if they have what I want.;)

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I bought dark wood toned ones from ACMoore- and they are very dark- not as many choices, maybe, for scrappers- there is a wine holder one with an X cross shelving system. I stacked 4 of them for yarn, and they look very nice! there also is a base unit available, unlike the white ones, so you can raise them up if you want. Can't rmember if the price at AC Moore is the same as the white, but I did it over time with coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4StampinView Post
Thanks...I'll have to check out Target again. When I was in the store & online I only saw white ones. BUT...like someone mentioned above, if they are twice the price I guess I'll settle for white!

I thought about doing this as well...BUT I don't think I feel like dealing with spray painting them right now. I just want to put them in and be done. Plus I think there would be some sanding or other base coat involved or the paint might easily scrape off. :confused:

I'm going to have to check that out. I looked at them in the store, but only saw white ones. It would be great to be able to get what I want there with a coupon! I think on Thanksgiving weekend they have a coupon off the whole purchase instead of just one item. I've never been brave enough to go there and deal with the major crowd...but I may just do it if they have what I want.;)

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I wanted to do these as well(it's like a cherry wood finish), but all the stores in my area have discontinued them:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Michael's already clearanced out their wood-tone ones. I think they weren't as popular as the white. I noticed the other day that they've re-supplied the white ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Try orientaltradingcompany.com the have the snapware? type. This is what I have. I actually bought mine on clearence a while back at Joanns. But I am pretty sure OTC still has them. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Just thought I'd let you all know what I ended up with. I checked out Target first. They did have some really dark walnut cubes called Itzo. They looked really nice, but they only had a couple of different pieces to choose from, and they cost a bit more money than I wanted to spend. They had the white scrapbooking cubes as well...made a note of the price then headed on over to Michael's.

They had the white cubes in a lot more styles. They were also on sale for 30% off making them about $20 each. One of the styles has 4 drawers, and I checked to see if the Sizzix bigz dies fit into them...they did! So I ended up getting them. Maybe someday if I get real ambitous, I'll spray them black so that they match my other stuff, but for now they look great, and it's nice to be more organized!

Also, I went to Lowes and was able to find a piece of shelving which is just a bit wider than the cubes and is covered with a white melamie coating. I left a space between the cubes and put the piece of shelving on top and now I have an extra work space that I (or a guest) can sit at.

I'll be in my room today figuring out where to put all my stuff. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes