Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Bira/Close To My Heart/Crafter's Edge/Gina K Adjustable Machines

A bit mysterious in the die cutting machine world, let's have a home thread for the adjustable roller machines.

These machines are for die cutting and embossing, and use adjustable roller settings instead of various plates and shims. Below are four companies who sell them, three available in the most popular 6" size, and 2 available with a 9" opening.

In alphabetical order....

Bira (Sunlit in other markets)
Available with a 6" opening and a 9" opening. Accessories and Bundles available here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Close To My Heart
Available* with a 6" opening. Accessories available* here.
*Edited to add: CTMH may be closing this summer. See this thread for details.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Crafter's Edge Crossover II
Available* with a 8.5" opening. Accessories available* here.
*Unfortunately, Crafter's Edge has an announcement on their main page that they are no longer making new products, with many items on clearance (excluding machines). No idea how long they will offer warranty support or extra plates.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gina K Intri-Cut
Available* with a 6" opening. Accessories available* here.
*Currently sold out as of 02/08/2024; I'm sure more will be available soon!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Let me know if I've missed anything!

I'd love to share tips and tricks here, and have this thread be a great FAQ resource for folks interested in this kind of machine. Newbies to paper crafting/die cutting (like yours truly, lol) would appreciate everything that all the rest of y'all can contribute here.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-29-2024 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: update CTMH news
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
DancesWithHooves (02-27-2024), fl_beachbum (02-14-2024), gammawly (02-10-2024), ozarkstamper (02-08-2024), RJP111 (02-09-2024), wavejumper (02-09-2024), whim6915 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:51 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Apologies if I'm breaking forum etiquette by posting twice in a row, lol! (Or by posting way too darn much at once....)

I received my 9" Bira on 02/08. It's my first die cutting machine, so my input is nearly useless. I lack the ability to compare with other machines, like the Big Shot, Platinum, Tangerine, etc. But, maybe my ramblings will inspire others to post, even if only to correct me, lol. I am absolutely 100% okay with anyone bluntly telling me, "Honey, Love, you're doin' it wrong...."

Okay. So because, apparently, I like to do things the hard way, the very first thing I ran through the machine was an Altenew 3D embossing folder with 120# cardstock inside. I tried half a dozen settings, and finally just used the Platform + Steel Ruled Adapter Plate, on the 3D setting on Dial 1, and -3 Tighten on Dial 2. I water spritzed, too. For the life of me, I couldn't get the folder to go through using the Platform + Cutting Plate. Now, I *have* been a bit tired the past few days, so it's possible my brain is just (temporarily?) defective. I'll try again. With 80# card, maybe.

I didn't write them down, but I'm pretty sure my standard Spellbinders & Gemini embossing folders were far less fussy, and I was able to use the Platform + Cutting Plate, although I'm not entirely sure. I used 65# card with those, I think; no water spritz. Excellent results. I mistakenly rolled a Tattered Lace embossing folder strip (putting a border on an envelope) through forwards and then backed it through. My folder seems a teeny bit duck-billed, so I definitely will NOT run EFs backwards anymore. I totally knew not to do that; I was in the habit of rolling smaller dies forward and backward just to go more quickly. *face palm*

Every die I cut, regardless of cardstock weight, has been awesome. Die setting on Dial 1, no tightening/loosening Dial 2 required. I was all awesome about moving the dies all over the place, and didn't get plate warping. And then I had to go and get all excited about cutting a bunch of butterfly journal pages in basically the same 2 spots on the same side, so my cutting plate is a tad warped. Still totally workable, but I'm like, "Dang. And I knew better!" lol

I embossed with a die, and had to run it through a couple of times. Since Bira doesn't offer a full sized embossing mat, I used a Gemini one that I cut down (from 12x18 to 8x12). I could probably tighten it a bit more for a better impression. Gotta play around with that a little.

And, I'm sure this is a total newbie question, but is it really supposed to quietly "pop" when dies go through? Can I avoid that popping noise -- by reducing the pressure -- and still get a clean cut? I know I can experiment, but I'm feelin' lazy at the moment.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked with it. A bit intimidated with the several-plate-and-shim systems, I'm happy I got the Bira. I actually like orange, even though the color is almost a neon coral/salmon color; but I was thrilled it wasn't gray. I totally wanna decorate it, but I gotta wait for (1) progress on my other paper projects, and (2) a sale at my favorite label shop.

Thoughts? Guidance? Anyone else with one of these kind of machines?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
gammawly (02-11-2024), RJP111 (02-19-2024), skm330mks (02-28-2024), whim6915 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:35 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

this is very interesting - thank you for posting the sites as well as your own experience !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
OneDevotedDame (02-11-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:30 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Too bad I didn't have one of these things when I first started making cards!!!

I ran a couple of intricate butterfly dies through, and tightened the bottom dial to 1 or 2, to get clean cuts on 80# card. Not bad at all. I kinda wonder what the tightest setting would be necessary for....

Also tried another Spellbinders embossing folder (it's not specifically marked "3D"), with the Standard plate and Cutting plate, on the 3D setting + Tighten 2. Spritzed 80# card and it came out perfectly! I'm thinking 120# is probably not meant for embossing, which is kind of a bummer. All of my bases are 120#, and I would've appreciated the ability to emboss the base.

I'm not sure if I really like the machine because it's got adjustable rollers, or just because it's a die cutting machine, lol. It is very nice, I will say, to primarily deal with 2 plates. I'm not fidgeting with 4 or 5 different plates + mats + shims, juggling how to use them and how to store them.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
barbfarmd (02-28-2024), browpr (02-19-2024), fl_beachbum (02-14-2024), gammawly (02-14-2024), whim6915 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

My Bira machine has arrived. So far I think it's terrific. I've tested it with 2D and 3D embossing folders and had better results than I've ever had before just because I can do those subtle pressure adjustments (without having to play around with figuring out shims). I plan on mainly using it for embossing as my Big Shot is all set up for die cutting with a magnetic plate and I'm very happy with that.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by susanbri:
OneDevotedDame (02-21-2024), pepperann (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
Okay. So because, apparently, I like to do things the hard way, the very first thing I ran through the machine was an Altenew 3D embossing folder with 120# cardstock inside. I tried half a dozen settings, and finally just used the Platform + Steel Ruled Adapter Plate, on the 3D setting on Dial 1, and -3 Tighten on Dial 2. I water spritzed, too. For the life of me, I couldn't get the folder to go through using the Platform + Cutting Plate. Now, I *have* been a bit tired the past few days, so it's possible my brain is just (temporarily?) defective. I'll try again. With 80# card, maybe.
OneDevotedDame, you did say you are 100% okay with being told you are doing it wrong. Well, that's what I'm about to do. You were doing it wrong with your 3D folder! For 3D embossing folders you only use the platform and the embossing folder with the cardstock inside it. You do not use a second plate. If you look at the second last page of the little manual that came with the Bira, you'll see the diagram in section E. I followed that and my 3D folders embossed perfectly.

Quote:

And, I'm sure this is a total newbie question, but is it really supposed to quietly "pop" when dies go through? Can I avoid that popping noise -- by reducing the pressure -- and still get a clean cut? I know I can experiment, but I'm feelin' lazy at the moment.
Thoughts? Guidance? Anyone else with one of these kind of machines?
Yes, all machines do some popping sounds when the dies go through so don't worry about that. The only thing you really need to worry about is never forcing something through. If it feels too tight, back up and adjust the pressure dial.

Feel free to ask more questions! We all did when we started out!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by susanbri:
Kristy Tyra (02-28-2024), OneDevotedDame (02-21-2024), RJP111 (03-28-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 02:15 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

One way to reduce the pop is to put your dies in at an angle.

Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
OneDevotedDame, you did say you are 100% okay with being told you are doing it wrong. Well, that's what I'm about to do. You were doing it wrong with your 3D folder!
OhmyGOSH!!! Thank you!!! I will try again! I have avoided my Altenew 3D embossing folders because I didn't want to use the Steel Rule Adapter Plate, lol. Figured I'd give it another try later; been totally procrastinating with that. I will DEFINITELY get back on the horse!

Quote:

For 3D embossing folders you only use the platform and the embossing folder with the cardstock inside it. You do not use a second plate. If you look at the second last page of the little manual that came with the Bira, you'll see the diagram in section E. I followed that and my 3D folders embossed perfectly.
Will try this tomorrow; thanks again. I'm also gonna revisit my instruction manual. I think I was just so excited to have the darn thing, that I probably just didn't absorb the information like I should have. lol

Quote:

Yes, all machines do some popping sounds when the dies go through so don't worry about that. The only thing you really need to worry about is never forcing something through. If it feels too tight, back up and adjust the pressure dial.
Okay, so I gotta say, I was soooo paranoid about forcing something through, that I started off with zero pressure, just so I knew what "nothing" felt like, and then gradually worked up by turning the dials 1 at a time. lol At first, I had no idea what "forcing" felt like; then when I couldn't get my 3D folder through comfortably, I backed way off. My "comfortable" was probably too sensitive, but I didn't want to be completely heartbroken if I broke it. I'm fairly risk-averse, and was a little worried that I should've invested a bit more in a different machine (just because the Platinum gets sooo much love by everyone, ya know?).

There's a tiny bit of a learning curve for me, since I'm terrified of breaking something. I have no one in-person to ask for guidance. This is the first machine I've ever even touched, let alone used, let alone *owned*, and since the budget is ridiculously tight, it's the only one I can have for a long time. It's so much fun to use, though.

Quote:

Feel free to ask more questions! We all did when we started out!
Thank you so much!!! I feel like I have dumb questions, lol, so it's a good thing I have no shame in asking anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
One way to reduce the pop is to put your dies in at an angle.
Yeah, I put 'em in all kinds of ways, all over the plate, front and back. I'm almost scared to put them in centered and straight, lol. It's not a very loud popping noise, so that's good. It's more like a creak or a crack. If that makes *any* sense whatsoever....

Everyone here is so sweet. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2024, 07:45 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay, so I just tried my Altenew 3D embossing folder a few minutes ago.

I guess my machine is just loose on that setting, or something. Or maybe Altenew's 3D embossing folders aren't as thick as other 3Ds from other brands.

I put the cardstock + folder + Standard Platform in the machine, on the 3D setting top dial, and I could literally slide the entire thing through the machine without turning the handle. I tightened the bottom dial all the way down, and I was still able to slide it through without turning (although it did feel like it was at least making contact with the rollers). It was so bizarre.

So, I did my old paper + folder + Standard Platform + Steel Rule Adapter, on 3D emboss and tightened to 3, and it worked. It actually could've embossed a little better, so I might try tightening a bit more next time, like to 3.5.

Miss Susan, do you have any Altenew 3D EFs? Anyone know if they're thinner 3Ds, in general?

Edited to add:
I found this chart on Spellbinder's website (scroll about 2/3 of the way down), and it seems that Altenew's 3D EFs are thinner than other brands, requiring a thicker sandwich in the Platinum. That would explain my issue.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-22-2024 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Add Info & Link
Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:35 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if you can use the Better Press with the Bira system? I know that it can be used with the GinaK Intra-cut system, but not the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2024, 09:54 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanvmView Post
Does anyone know if you can use the Better Press with the Bira system? I know that it can be used with the GinaK Intra-cut system, but not the others.
I don't have the Better Press system, but GinaK's machine and Bira's are so similar; I'd be really surprised if something worked in one, but not the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
susanvm (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I don't have the Better Press system, but GinaK's machine and Bira's are so similar; I'd be really surprised if something worked in one, but not the other.
Found a YouTube video using Better Press with Bira - so looks like they play together.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (02-26-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:14 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Miss Susan, do you have any Altenew 3D EFs? Anyone know if they're thinner 3Ds, in general?

Edited to add:
I found this chart on Spellbinder's website (scroll about 2/3 of the way down), and it seems that Altenew's 3D EFs are thinner than other brands, requiring a thicker sand wich in the Platinum. That would explain my issue.
Yes, I do have some Altenew 3D EFs. I compared them to my Sizzix, Tim Holtz, and Simon Says Stamp 3D EFs and they are much thinner. So I tested them on my Bira and, like you, found that they would not emboss on the 3D setting at the tightest pressure. So I added the cutting plate, kept it on the 3D setting, but changed to the loosest pressure. I got a very good impression from that.

So clearly we have to adjust for the various brands. This is where the Bira will be great as I don't have to keep a pile of various shims, pieces of cardstock, etc. on hand.

My plan is to use a permanent marker on my EFs once I figure out what each one works best at. On each one I'll write 2D or 3D and then the number on the pressure dial that worked best. So I'll only have to figure it out once for each folder.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by susanbri:
fl_beachbum (02-29-2024), OneDevotedDame (02-28-2024), RJalifi (04-03-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:25 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Yes, I do have some Altenew 3D EFs. I compared them to my Sizzix, Tim Holtz, and Simon Says Stamp 3D EFs and they are much thinner. So I tested them on my Bira and, like you, found that they would not emboss on the 3D setting at the tightest pressure. So I added the cutting plate, kept it on the 3D setting, but changed to the loosest pressure. I got a very good impression from that.
Excellent! Thank you so much for doing this! I'm gonna try the 3D setting at loosest pressure, using Standard Platform + Cutting Plate + Altenew 3D EF.

Quote:

So clearly we have to adjust for the various brands. This is where the Bira will be great as I don't have to keep a pile of various shims, pieces of cardstock, etc. on hand.
Absolutely!!! I must've read a thousand threads -- for various machines -- and as a novice, felt my head spinning with all of the experimentation people had to do, to get embossing folders to work. It can be fairly intimidating when you're just starting out. Which is exactly why the Bira appealed to me so much, and why I seriously want to make this machine work for me 100%.

Quote:

My plan is to use a permanent marker on my EFs once I figure out what each one works best at. On each one I'll write 2D or 3D and then the number on the pressure dial that worked best. So I'll only have to figure it out once for each folder.
This is a very good idea.

I've been trying to decide how I want to do this. My solution so far is to keep a sample with the folder, where I've jotted down notes on the sample itself. I'm considering putting a post-it note or removable label on each embossing folder. Or make reference charts and stick them in my embossing folder binders. Or something. I do like the permanent marker idea, too.

I am soooo glad I have someone else to swap ideas with, and from whom I can learn, regarding this machine. I don't do social media, and I try to avoid YouTube and such.... So SCS is my only real resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
RJP111 (03-28-2024), susanbri (02-23-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 04:36 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bria adjustable die cutting machine

My bria with the 6 inch opening should arrive thus week. I have tried other machines but was recently looking to get a new one. I had been eyeing the stampin up full size cutter bc I have the mini then saw the gina k machine, I was doing an online search to find one in stock and ran across the bria. It appears to be identical except for color, then after finding this thread I was sold so I bought. I'm so excited about not having to use shims constantly!! It sounds like people are experiencing good things with this machine. I will re post when I get mine and try it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgiacomoView Post
My bria with the 6 inch opening should arrive thus week.
Ooooh, thanks for posting and letting us know! Nice to have another adjustable machine owner whom I can interrogate, lol.

Quote:

I have tried other machines but was recently looking to get a new one. I had been eyeing the stampin up full size cutter bc I have the mini then saw the gina k machine, I was doing an online search to find one in stock and ran across the bria.
Well, shoot, that means that Gina K's machine is still out of stock. I was gonna try to periodically check her site and update this thread whenever it's available. I know there are folks out there who would love to have that colorway.

Quote:

It appears to be identical except for color, then after finding this thread I was sold so I bought. I'm so excited about not having to use shims constantly!! It sounds like people are experiencing good things with this machine.
I'm using it with every card I'm making now, and oh my gosh, I love this thing. It's *super* nice having only 2-3 plates to mess with. I hope this machine lasts several years. I'm gonna order some extra cutting plates in the next couple of months, just so I have them on hand.

Quote:

I will re post when I get mine and try it out.
Please do! Especially let us know how it compares with the other machines you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:47 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have been using the Crossover II for nearly 5 years and I'm still using the plates it came with (I did stock up on replacements though!). Here is my review:

https://www.dinakowalcreative.com/20...ii-fabric
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:48 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! Love this thread! Until now I didn't even know there was more than one machine (Gina K) that was adjustable. I'll have to look into this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2024, 07:16 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Red face

I just visited the Bria website, via the link above, and the 6" machine is currently 15% off, plus they have a promo code for an additional 10% off (through 3/17). Thought I'd pass that along. It looks like the shipping is free. Enabler, I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie S:
fl_beachbum (02-29-2024), OneDevotedDame (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:12 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I have been using the Crossover II for nearly 5 years and I'm still using the plates it came with (I did stock up on replacements though!). Here is my review:

https://www.dinakowalcreative.com/20...ii-fabric.html
Miss Dina, this is one of the most thorough reviews I've come across; that's amazing. And a big "thank you" for not doing a video; I much prefer reading reviews, not watching them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
Wow! Love this thread! Until now I didn't even know there was more than one machine (Gina K) that was adjustable. I'll have to look into this.
Gina's machine is definitely the prettiest. If it came in a wider platform, I might have tried to justify the increased price. I like orange, but the Bira machine is more like a neon salmon on ivory. It's not my favorite color combo, but it's not gray, so I'm fairly neutral on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie SView Post
I just visited the Bria website, via the link above, and the 6" machine is currently 15% off, plus they have a promo code for an additional 10% off (through 3/17). Thought I'd pass that along. It looks like the shipping is free.
This is exactly the deal I got on the 9" machine at the beginning of the month -- 15% off plus an additional 10% off. Free shipping; tax was a little over $10.

Speaking of orders, I'm considering getting another full plate set and asking my husband to chop it in half, so that I'm not rolling the entire 9"x13" system through (or backing it up) for a teeny tiny die. I'd end up with 2 halves for $40, as opposed to a single 6" set for $30. Anyone have any reasons why this is a bad idea? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie SView Post
Enabler, I know.
Isn't that the whole point of this thread? lol No, this *forum*???
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:58 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm still loving my Bira machine. I've only had it a week but I'm so much happier using my embossing folders with it than with my old machine.

I've noticed a couple of people spelling it Bria instead of Bira - just thought I'd mention that so anyone searching for it online will spell it correctly - it's Bira and here is their website:

https://www.biracreative.com/collect...e-cut-machines

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2024, 01:19 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I just tried 2 different Altenew 3D embossing folders in the Bira. They both required: platform, cutting plate, 3D folder setting, maximum pressure. My Simon Says 3D embossing folders work great with same sandwich (platform, cutting plate), 3D folder setting and loosening pressure by 1 (i.e. -1).

I'm making notes with a Sharpie each time I use a new embossing folder so I don't have to repeat the learning process every single time.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by susanvm:
OneDevotedDame (02-28-2024), whim6915 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t have or know anything about the Bira machine, but the first thing that jumped out at me in your beginning comment was that you were using 120# cardstock with a 3D folder. That seems like a very heavyweight CS to be running through the machine. If I understood correctly, the fact that you couldn’t get it to go through the machine is a good indicator that it was too thick. At least that has always been the case using the BigShot machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2024, 07:03 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I just tried 2 different Altenew 3D embossing folders in the Bira. They both required: platform, cutting plate, 3D folder setting, maximum pressure.
Excellent! If it worked for both of The Susans, lol, then I'm really hopeful!

Edited to add: Oh, wait! You used the tightest pressure??? Not the loosest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by byingstView Post
I don’t have or know anything about the Bira machine, but the first thing that jumped out at me in your beginning comment was that you were using 120# cardstock with a 3D folder. That seems like a very heavyweight CS to be running through the machine. If I understood correctly, the fact that you couldn’t get it to go through the machine is a good indicator that it was too thick. At least that has always been the case using the BigShot machine.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion -- I couldn't get the sandwich to properly go through the machine because:

(1) the first time, I used the much-too-thick Standard Plate + 3D EF + 120# + Cutting Plate on the 3D setting + "0" bottom dial (which are the instructions for the 2D EFs, not the 3D ), when I was only supposed to use the Standard Plate + 3D EF + 120# on the 3D setting + "0" bottom dial, and
(2) when I corrected and only used the Standard Plate + 3D EF + 120#, the EF was a thinner-than-other-brands Altenew 3D embossing folder, so it slid right on through without pressure, even on the tightest "5" bottom dial.

I've been able to successfully emboss the 120# card (the first few times I did it, using the thinner Steel Rule Adapter Plate as a shim on the 3D setting, it didn't emboss deeply enough, so I had to thicken/tighten things up).

Admittedly, I still need to try the first Miss Susan's Standard Plate + Altenew 3D + Cutting Plate on the 3D setting with the bottom dial on the loosest "5". I'm pretty sure that'll work beautifully. (But I will test on 65# first, then 80#, then 110#, then finally 120# if everything else works.)

I really appreciate everyone offering ideas and helping me out!

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-28-2024 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: add quote & clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:58 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been crafting for decades and have never heard of the Bria brand name before, so out of curiosity I visited the site based in California. On their site they gave the information that their products were available on the Canadian Amazon site. I went there and found the machines and Bria has many, many punches. Keep in mind if doing comparison price shopping the Canadian site is usually in Canadian dollars unless you specify US dollars. The Bria site would be in US dollars.
Very interested in people’s experiences with these new machines.
Before I buy anything new I tend to hold off and watch all the YouTube videos on the product I may be interested in. I also go through the instruction manual carefully and keep it on hand before using my new product or quickly referring to it as I go along.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 02-28-2024 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Added information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2024, 02:42 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

What happened to the Slice machine? I had one and it would cut many images with different sizes. 1 to 4 inch. I really miss my machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2024, 05:48 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiebuttsView Post
What happened to the Slice machine?
I had to google it; I've never heard of it! Is it electronic? The pictures I found show a screen on the machine.

Oh! I decided to look it up here on SCS, and I found this FAQ thread for the Slice. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2024, 06:11 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightcrawlerView Post
Before I buy anything new I tend to hold off and watch all the YouTube videos on the product I may be interested in. I also go through the instruction manual carefully and keep it on hand before using my new product or quickly referring to it as I go along.
I totally wish my brain worked this way, lol. Despite doing all of this research (and keeping my instruction manual on hand), I *still* can't escape the need to actually DO stuff to learn it.

Edited to add:
Just saw this thread here at SCS: Close To My Heart closing in June. Thought I'd mention it, since CTMH makes one of the machines in our thread.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 02-29-2024 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: add info about CTMH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2024, 12:03 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=OneDevotedDame;22306986]Excellent! If it worked for both of The Susans, lol, then I'm really hopeful!

Edited to add: Oh, wait! You used the tightest pressure??? Not the loosest?

Yes - it was +5 with the 3D embossing folder choice; I couldn't get the sandwich through the machine on 2D folder and decreased pressure (even max decrease). From what I can tell, the roller has more pressure for 2D folder setting relative to 3D folder. Since the AN 3D embossing folders are slightly thinner than my Simon Says 3D embossing folders I tried 2D and 0 to -5 pressure and couldn't even advance the sandwich.
I should add that the CS was Neenah Solar Crest 110 gm and that I wipe the front/back of the CS with a baby wipe before running it through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-02-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 01:33 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Yes - it was +5 with the 3D embossing folder choice; I couldn't get the sandwich through the machine on 2D folder and decreased pressure (even max decrease).
[....]
I should add that the CS was Neenah Solar Crest 110 gm and that I wipe the front/back of the CS with a baby wipe before running it through the machine.
Okay, so for clarification on the Altenew 3D embossing folders, we have the following confirmed sandwiches...

SusanBri - Standard Plate + EF + Card + Cutting Plate + 3D setting + Loosest 5
SusanVM - Standard Plate + EF + Card + Cutting Plate + 3D setting + Tightest 5

...is that right?

Assuming I'm understanding both of you correctly, I'm guessing the difference can be attributed to individual machine calibration. It'll be interesting to see what mine does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2024, 06:48 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Default Love Bira!

I received my Bira 6 inch adjustable die cutting machine so fast!! I have tried at least one of everything so far and so far I have only had to tighten it up a little for 3d embossing folders, after tightening it like 2 turns my stampin up 3d embossing folders did great. Have never gotten such a deep impression. Die cutting and 2d embossing so far have been excellent with the default setting and just adjusting the top for the respective setting. Idk why it took me so long to discover this amazing machine!! Shims are a thing of the past and I couldn't be happier!! Anyone looking for their first machine or thinking about something new should at least consider this one bc the price is great, customer service is excellent and the machine itself is a dream!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jgiacomo:
Kristy Tyra (03-29-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 09:37 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I received my Bira 6 inch adjustable die cutting machine so fast!!
Yay!!! Mine came earlier than expected, too!

Quote:

I have tried at least one of everything so far and so far I have only had to tighten it up a little for 3d embossing folders, after tightening it like 2 turns my stampin up 3d embossing folders did great. Have never gotten such a deep impression.
This is sooo encouraging! Especially for those of us who have never done this before, lol. Super good news.

Quote:

Die cutting and 2d embossing so far have been excellent with the default setting and just adjusting the top for the respective setting.
Same here; my die cutting has been nearly effortless. I only have to tighten 1 or 2 with some of my really intricate Spellbinders dies. Embossing those same intricate dies is the same way.

Quote:

Idk why it took me so long to discover this amazing machine!! Shims are a thing of the past and I couldn't be happier!! Anyone looking for their first machine or thinking about something new should at least consider this one bc the price is great, customer service is excellent and the machine itself is a dream!!
Y'all are gonna get so sick of me saying this, lol, but seriously, huge hugs and a zillion thank yous!!! Having folks with experience evaluate this machine is the backbone of this thread. Being a novice, I especially appreciate the "anyone looking for their first machine" comment -- I mean, who doesn't like being told they made a decent choice their first time???

If anyone has the CTMH or the GinaK machine, we'd love to hear from y'all, too. It's the same machine, after all. lol I'd love to hear more about the Crafter's Edge Crossover II, too.

Oh, question about plates -- If a machine is no longer made/supported, and someone needs plates, since these machines have adjustable rollers, isn't it possible to DIY plates without damaging the machine? Obviously if CTMH closes, folks can still order plates from GinaK or Bira, but I was thinking more about CE's Crossover II. I imagine something like Scrapbook.com's Magic Mats would be especially helpful in cases like that, yes?

(Apologies again if my questions are rudimentary/obvious; I just wanna make sure my random ideas aren't totally ill-conceived, since as the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know," and I could be completely off base without realizing it.)
Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:09 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Okay, so for clarification on the Altenew 3D embossing folders, we have the following confirmed sandwiches...

SusanBri - Standard Plate + EF + Card + Cutting Plate + 3D setting + Loosest 5
SusanVM - Standard Plate + EF + Card + Cutting Plate + 3D setting + Tightest 5

...is that right?

Assuming I'm understanding both of you correctly, I'm guessing the difference can be attributed to individual machine calibration. It'll be interesting to see what mine does!
So it helps to actually look at the machine. I made the assumption that +5 = tighter; nope. So SusanBri and I agree on the setting for AN EFs!
Reply With Quote Likes
susanbri (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:28 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

So it helps to actually look at the machine. I made the assumption that +5 = tighter; nope. So SusanBri and I agree on the setting for AN EFs!
I've made the same mistake! I thought "+" was tighter, and I've had to edit my posts before replying, since I still get it wrong. I think it's more intuitive to think of adding pressure, rather than adding space between rollers. But I also get car window toggles mixed up, lol, so I can't be trusted to judge mechanical intuitiveness, apparently.

And add me to the 3D Altenew EFs requiring Standard Plate + EF + Cutting Plate + 3D Setting + Loosest 5. The impression was ever-so-slightly better than my initial sandwich using the Steel Rule Adapter Plate, so I'm happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2024, 07:09 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Would there be a reason to pick the 9 inch over the 6 inch? Please share your thoughts. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2024, 12:57 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Annie, I believe the plates are larger for the larger machine which would allow you to die cut more items at once. I don't know if there are larger dies on the market (say for 5 x 7 cards or larger items) but I imagine a larger plate would be helpful for those, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

My reasons for choosing the 9" machine are:
  • A9 & 6"+ are my favorite card sizes. I also make A7. Rarely make anything smaller.
  • My scrapbook layouts are 12x12, and the longer 12" border dies fit well on a 9"x13" platform. (Even though I can't fit the entire 12x12 sheet, I *can* fit an 8.5x12, which is still useful. I would've preferred a 13" machine, but obviously had to settle for the 9", lol.)
  • I can cut borders on the long sides of an 8.5x11 before scoring and folding an A9 card.
  • Nearly all of my nesting dies start at 8".
  • I have a few A4 embossing folders.
  • Wanted to be able to do a bunch of cuts in one pass (especially for journal pages, Christmas cards, and alphabets).
  • Can put larger dies through at various angles.
  • The price difference wasn't that much to go from 6" to 9". ($35-$40, I think?)
  • I currently only have the space and budget for a single machine, and didn't want to regret going too small.
  • Smaller plates can be cranked through a larger machine, if I get tired of dealing with the larger platform for small jobs.
I think that's about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
InkyTexan (03-29-2024), RJP111 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:49 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I wanted the ability to use larger dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2024, 04:43 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you so much for your replies! The information provided was exactly what I needed. Now I have a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2024, 07:06 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Thank you so much for your replies! The information provided was exactly what I needed. Now I have a lot to think about.
Come back and let us know what you decide! Or if you have any other questions. I'm not the most qualified to answer, since I've only been die cutting since last month (and I only have this one machine), lol, but what I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm.

I need to get a Steel Rule die from Spellbinders. I was tempted to get one on clearance, back when I was wanting a Tangerine, but when I reached out to Tonic, they said the die was too thick to go through. Now that I have the Bira, though, I have more options.
Reply With Quote Likes