Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Big Shot, or not to Big Shot

I am debating whether to make the investment. It would not be the stampin up version, as I can use an upcoming 40% off coupon at my local Ben Franklin craft store here in town. The craftclub member price is already 10% off, they have it for $71.99, and I can get an additional 40% off. Good deal? Should I? Or shouldn't I?

I am downsizing most everything I own. I still have quite a collection of stamps in my persnal collection, plus all the inks not to mention an abundance of other "stuff." I can't decide. :confused: So help!

What would you do?:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I may be wrong but isn't the Big Shot a "Ben's Best" item? If it is then you can't use the coupon on it. I could be wrong though... It just seems that everything I want is a "Ben's Best" item or it's already on sale. Bleh.

As for the what I what do part... I would buy it from myself, maybe wait until February to get SAB and hostess bennies. It helps my sales, I get free stuff and it increases my override. But that's just me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't get the SU! version either - used a coupon at M's. I love mine and am really glad I purchased it. I use it for most projects I do. I enjoy embossing backgrounds w/the cuttlebug folders or the Sizzix texture plates. I'm really using the SU! top note die a ton and just yesterday I broke out my nestablitities and all I can say is I adore them and will be using them alot - they are super easy to use and I love the layering.HTH Andrea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I'd say if the coupon works for this...then Big Shot it! I've had mine for about 2 years now and that puppy gets a regular workout. It really is a workhorse and has added so much to my stamping. I routinely use it to give dimension to background paper and non stampers are always amazed when they see the effect. It's like Magic!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Also debating the Big Shot

Hi Kamuelamom!

I've been debating the same question since October - to Big Shot or not! DH was even going to buy it for me for Christmas and I said no - am I crazy or what! LOL! I'm just not sure for a couple of reasons. One it takes up a fair amount of space not to mention the space required for all the dies. Two the cost - not just the cost of the BS but of the dies for it, especially the nesties. I have about 20 punches and I love my punches and use them all the time. I could buy several punches compared to the cost of the nesties. Third concern is how often would I really use it? I am primarily a card maker so I don't need a lot of big die cuts. I think if I did more scrapbooking I might be more inclined to buy it for cutting letters, words and shapes.

All you SCSers that can't live without your BS please convince Kamuelamom and me that we need a BS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I rarely scrapbook and debated whether I needed one or not. I tend to collect gadgets that I never really use once the box has been thrown away! Well, I didn't care...I bought the Big Shot! I don't use it very often but I'm glad that I have it. Some examples...

Cardmaking: backgrounds are too cool. I have a ton of background plates and they don't take a lot of room to store at all. I just bought my first set of Nesties and can't wait to use them. All the cards I've seen using the layering of Nesties with the stamped image are great.

Tags: I bought almost all the tag dies they had a Sizzix.com and make tags all the time. Little tags for my cards, big tags for gifts. I have a stash of tags in all kinds of colors and sizes ready to go.

The "Project": Ugh! Invariably, there is some type of project a family member is working on and needs help with, whether its a picture collage board or a school project. The letters have come in handy!

Mine has a place of honor as well as a sewn cover to keep it dust free and looking cute. hth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyG3View Post
I could buy several punches compared to the cost of the nesties.
Actually a full set of nesties includes about 26 dies, and you can get them at Ritz Camera for $53/set, add the Big Shot to your order and the total is $120 with FREE shipping and no tax.

Now...26 punches would be at least $300.

Plus you have sizes for larger images, and after the initial Big Shot investment, the savings is even more.

I still have a lot of smaller punches, but would never spend $17 (on SALE) for a Mega Punch when I can buy a small set of nesties for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I'm in love with my Big Shot because it's versatile enough to cut all the Sizzix, QuicKutz, Nesties, CB (including the embossing folders), and any other die I've wanted to cut. Plus, with the Multipurpose Platform, it's extra-easy to use any die out there (words AND pictures in the instructions!).

All my other die-cutting machines and most of my punches have found their way into my garage sale.

I'm a proponent of coupons/sales and getting the most for your money, but the Big Shot is the most-used tool in my craft room and would have been a bargain at regular price.

HTH!
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I only use mine to use the Cuttlebug embossing folders. That's it. And quite honestly, it takes up too much space on my table. I DON'T cut anything with it, because I prefer my Slice for alphabets and shapes. So, if you love the dry embossed look, then go for it. But mine is going on top of my cabinet until the come out with some new Cuttlebug embossing folders I want. Or until Stampin' Up comes out with some dies that will cut out their stamped images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I love mine. I purchased it about a year ago after Thanksgiving. I got it at an awesome price. I use it for my cuttlebug dies and folders as well as all of the sizzix dies i had from my old red orignal machine. I think if you cani get it for a reasonable price then get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Big Shot is my first ever die cutter and I love it! I researched quite a bit before buying. I bought mine from SU. We don't have any stores that carry them where I live and I liked the look of it much more than the Big Kick, which I thought would look grungy where the white plastic is before long and I felt that the taller handle on the Big Shot would be easier to grip when cranking. I am very pleased. Since I ordered a few other things with it, I got a free hostess set and $15 in free merchandise so that offset the price a little. I use the Nesties with it and it is so easy and I made a ton of things at Christmas that went much faster. I will be using it for Valentine's project as well. I recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #12  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 612 Likes on 431 Posts

I have a big shot and a cricut and I am keeping both. The big shot is great because you can cut thicker materials. I had an original sizzix so I had a bunch of dies. I do have some of the marvy punches, the only set I bought all of is the ovals. I have circle nesties and just bought the label ones. I bring my big shot to Cub Scouts and the kids have a great time with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month January 2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know you could buy the Big Shot anywhere but through SU! Learn something new everyday. Thanks ladies!!! That's the machine I would really like to have as opposed to the others, but since SU! doesn't have coupons, I had given up on that!

Goals for 2015 50 scrapbook pages/50 cards---progress 35/50 cards
Complete my daughter's wedding scrapbook album
Spend more time enjoying my friends and not so much time obsessing on work!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go for the Big Shot!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #15  

the sizzix outlet store on ebay has them for 59.99 the last time I looked. I think they have free shipping over 75. Which is not to hard to get to. I love mine. I took it to the daycare where I worked for the kids to "scrapbook" their summer. It is virtually indestriable. Works great for cuttlebug folders(on sale at joanns for 2.99)

Joann is supposed to be 50% off sizzix with free shippiing over 35.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, I knew I would not be short of perspectives here. Thanks to all for taking the time. Still debating...today it was in favor of, tomorrow, who knows? And simplyinked had a good point. Yes, it is a manager's selection, but we usually are able to use the coupons because it is still retail price. Even if they don't let me use my craft club with it and charge me full retail, that's still quite a bit of savings off of $79 (full retail). So.....I'd still be getting it at a good price. But storage. And dies. And I do have a significant amount of punches too.;)

Will keep you all posted. Glad you all like your device.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default Love my Big Shot

My Big Shot is one of my favorite crafting possessions. Works with most, if not all, brands of dies and embossing plates and cuts a huge variety of materials with the BIGZ dies including thicker things like chipboard and metal. I like to make my own custom embellishments so this is perfect for me.
----------------
If you're interested in the Big Shot, I recommend watching Costco.

For example, Costco.com has the deal below right now for $79.99 plus s/h. Costco frequently has good deals on the Big Shot and you might be able to get a free shipping deal. If you're interested in the Big Shot, I'd check Costco frequently. How do I know, you ask? Because I bought my Big Shot, for what I thought to be a good price at the time, from someone on eBay and when I got delivery of my Big Shot, the eBay seller had it shipped to me directly from Costco. I checked Costco's website and I think the price at that time was in the $59 range. This eBay seller was selling them like crazy, too.
------------

The Big Shot Shape-Cutting and Embossing System includes:

1 Big Shot Machine
1 Thick Cuts Die- Tags, Traditional
1 Easy Emboss-Friends!
1 Thin Cuts Die-Dragonfly
1 Thin cuts Die-Flowers
3 Blank Easy Emobss Folders
5 Pieces of Paper
1 pair of Cutting Pads
1 Spacer Platform
1 Easy Emboss-Phrase, Happy Birthday #2
1 Easy Emboss-Phrase, Love you
1 Easy Emboss-Phrase, Thank You #1
1 Thin Cuts Die-Balloons #1
1 Thin Cuts Die-Birthday Cake
1 Thin Cuts Die-Tag #4
[Model 24595]

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

does anyone know if the starter kit that is in the winter mini will be discontinued after Jan. 18th?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Big Kick! I just love it, I use it all the time, and I am so excited about the new Sizzix Embossing Folders (textured impressions folders). I can't wait to buy some!

Today Jo-Ann has the BigKick for 49.99, free shipping over $25 with the coupon code.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents: I just ordered a Big Shot from Ritz Camera (I know! I didn't know they carried them either!!). It was on sale and with shipping it cost about $67.00. I don't know how long the sale is lasting but I would definitely give them a try!
Reply With Quote Likes